• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I propose standard view Beach Club Villa's...

I believe the BW view was a guaranteed booking category by the time I bought points, so it was never an issue for me. But, I remember reading about folks camping out in the BWV lobby for hours in an attempt to get the coveted BW view prior to that. :confused3 That must have been something.

Wow! I can imagine...I shudder to think I may have gotten roped into that too! Uggh!
So I understand the argument of how difficult the reservation process would become if BCV included "standard" views. I understand that there was only one category of views when I bought it so I shouldn't expect change. I understand that a view of the roadway is better than a view of my landfill. However, I still don't agree. DVC seems very able to provide reservations to other propertyies that have different point assignments without the entire system collapsing. Every property sold since we've bought at BCV has differentiated room grades by the view they offer. Clearly, Disney recognizes the "point power" of a view! DVC has changed since we've bought, i.e. free internet, so they idea of change within DVC, on any level, shouldn't be frightening or so quickly disregarded. Lastly, no one can convince me the view of a noisy roadway is equal to a view of a quiet landscaped area...c'mon...obsuring unsightly views is a Disney specialty.
Anyway, I'm glad for all of the feedback and I truly respect everyone's opinion. Disney topics get very personal for people, I know that. We defend what we love....

The biggest opposition something like this would face would be from current owners who bought into one system and would then be asked to accept another.

Right now it's 30 points per night for a Two Bedroom in Adventure season. If you create a "Standard View" for 27 points per night, you need to move an identical number of rooms into a "Preferred View" for 33 PPN. Any members who are used to booking the pool view or any other units in that Preferred category will not be happy to find that their trips suddenly cost more points. Change isn't always well-received.

Members who buy into BLT or AKV now are aware right from the start that there are different views and different categories.

There's no rule that says different booking categories, ie views, would need point differentials. The points could remain the same, simply break up the resort into categories.

Having said that, I would think that BCV & VWL would not be good candidates for the extra trouble simply because they are both rather generic when it comes to views.

But I agree with the OP in the respect that the "road view" at BCV is pretty noisy.

There's no rule that says different booking categories, ie views, would need point differentials.

Lower points for the road view was basically what OP requested:

This is the second time I've stayed at BCV and been assigned a room with a view of a busy road and again I wonder why this room view doesn't qualify for a reduced point stay.

Lower points for the road view was basically what OP requested:

But realistically that's not gonna happen!
Once the reservations software is adapted to easily handle booking categories in the other resorts, it's a slight possibility that it could be extended to all. But mucking with points differentials is pretty much a no-go.

Booking categories based on different number of points for a room is something that must be built into a resort before applicable units are sold. Disney has become more enamored with doing that with the new resorts--AKV and BLT, for which the booking categories were built into the resorts when they first went on sale. Disney cannot make any such change at the other resorts, although it could establish booking categories like it has done for HH at OKW and boardwalk view at boardwalk, but in doing so it cannot raise the points for those particular units and lower them for others.

BWV was a special case. Originally every room was assigned the points that are now the "preferred" view points. Very early in the sale process, and after complaints about view, it changed to make certain rooms standard view with lower points. Disney was able to do that because little had been sold and it simply redid all its official documents and lowered the total number of points for the resort by lowering the number of points applicable to units which had not yet been designated for sale.

Disney retains the right to adjust points, such as raise them during one season and lowering in others, as long as total points for any particular "unit" stay the same. A unit is usually a designated small group of rooms. That does not allow it to lower points for certain units while raising them for others. The reason: if it tried to do that it would be raising or lowering the total points for any given "unit" which it is prohibited from doing. As a result, you will never see booking categories at BCV, VWL, SSR, or OKW which are based on lowering the points for some units while rasing them for others.

sorry everyone I happen to like that view.

you are very lucky BCV even exist. before it was open could not believe that Disney was letting DVC have prime property.

it does not have the great views that BW does true. but it has more views of the fireworks than BW does.

I can liked looking at the back of Epcot and trying to figure out what those people were doing....:rotfl:

BCV is an after though - so for that matter is VWL.

VWL is a stone throw from a swamp.... don't know what disney does to stop the insects but so far it is working.

both have not so great views.

that say like to see the back side of Epcot - not many people get to see it.

VWL will take any views expect the service building. I though DVC had told the front desk to quit making members stay in those villas. On the basis that members did own the building - not WL. Have you complainted to DVC about being given that view? when I did the survey after my stay - definitely made DVC and WL aware that this is a problem. You need to say something before you arrive - to DVC.

because my last couple of stays were not in those studios.

would recommend that BCV members do too. If you know you will not like a villa - definitely put that on your reservations. Make sure that NOT or NO is captialized. the fd has a tendency to see what they want to see - not what is actually there.

Booking categories based on different number of points for a room is something that must be built into a resort before applicable units are sold. Disney has become more enamored with doing that with the new resorts--AKV and BLT, for which the booking categories were built into the resorts when they first went on sale. Disney cannot make any such change at the other resorts, although it could establish booking categories like it has done for HH at OKW and boardwalk view at boardwalk, but in doing so it cannot raise the points for those particular units and lower them for others.

BWV was a special case. Originally every room was assigned the points that are now the "preferred" view points. Very early in the sale process, and after complaints about view, it changed to make certain rooms standard view with lower points. Disney was able to do that because little had been sold and it simply redid all its official documents and lowered the total number of points for the resort by lowering the number of points applicable to units which had not yet been designated for sale.

Disney retains the right to adjust points, such as raise them during one season and lowering in others, as long as total points for any particular "unit" stay the same. A unit is usually a designated small group of rooms. That does not allow it to lower points for certain units while raising them for others. The reason: if it tried to do that it would be raising or lowering the total points for any given "unit" which it is prohibited from doing. As a result, you will never see booking categories at BCV, VWL, SSR, or OKW which are based on lowering the points for some units while rasing them for others.

Im sorry, but that is not correct. They can do it. Whether or not they will is a different story.
They made every owner of OKW accept or decline the extension by signing legal paper work and threatened an assessment for those that did nothing. DVC can do anything they want.

Im sorry, but that is not correct. They can do it. Whether or not they will is a different story.
They made every owner of OKW accept or decline the extension by signing legal paper work and threatened an assessment for those that did nothing. DVC can do anything they want.

they sold that many points - the only way they can change the amount of points is to buy back enough of the points. which would hurt their bottom line.

dvc sells points - not weeks.

so changing points cost after the resort is sold out is not possible.

now changing the view (not the points) based on what members request is different and DVC can definitely do it.

I'm not so sure. I see exactly where drusba is coming from, and I think I've used this argument before myself.

I own 150 points at SSR. My Purchase Agreement specifically states that I own "an undivided .3284% interest in Unit 1B of Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort..." So Unit 1B of SSR was declared into the Condo Association such that 150 points represents .3284% ownership.

If the points were to change for that unit, I would no longer own .3284%. So I'm not sure DVC could legally make that change.

The OKW extension was a completely different situation. All they had to do was amend the POS to extend the ground lease another 15 years. In this case you're talking about making changes which impact the deeded ownership of thousands of individual resort owners.

I don't know whether or not it would be legal, but they would at least need to adjust/amend the deeds of every impacted owner. And that may not even be possible without agreement from the owner.

Don't hold back your feelings Carol! Just let us know how you really feel!:lmao:

Little categories, 2. Total. Plus, 2 resorts (OKW and SSR if I remember correctly) have given preferred locations for owners. What is wrong with that?

I wrote a formal letter of complaint asking for compensation for the change in my membership AFTER they did the OKW change. (Didn't get anything but wanted them to think that they may be opening up a can of worms with these changes)

I have written DVC and explained that changing SSR will result in an unhappy member who will be sure to tell folks who ask about buying DVC that "what you buy may not be what you get because they keep changing the conditions"

IMHO it's WRONG to add booking categories AFTER the sale and changes the product I bought. (Wonder if I have a legal case?);)

they sold that many points - the only way they can change the amount of points is to buy back enough of the points. which would hurt their bottom line.

dvc sells points - not weeks.

so changing points cost after the resort is sold out is not possible.

now changing the view (not the points) based on what members request is different and DVC can definitely do it.

DVC can change point costs! -- The total amount of points to rent out all accomodations over the entire year must remain constant. They could lower adventure season and raise another, manipulate the seasons differnetly, reallocate the weekend to weekday point structure, and they could create a category that costs more points and offset it by lowering elsewhere.

Just to be clear -- the only thing that has to be constant is the total # of points required to rent out all accomodations for the entire year.

The logistics of making changes make it difficult and unlikely, there would have to be something dramatic in vaction habits for them to do so.

DVC can change point costs! -- The total amount of points to rent out all accomodations over the entire year must remain constant. They could lower adventure season and raise another, manipulate the seasons differnetly, reallocate the weekend to weekday point structure, and they could create a category that costs more points and offset it by lowering elsewhere.

Just to be clear -- the only thing that has to be constant is the total # of points required to rent out all accomodations for the entire year.

The logistics of making changes make it difficult and unlikely, there would have to be something dramatic in vaction habits for them to do so.

If you look at my post above, I do not believe they can legally reclassify rooms (units) that have already been declared into inventory.

My SSR deed does NOT say that I own 150 points--it says that I own a .3284% interest in a specific Unit. If DVC were to raise or lower the points associated with my unit, I would no longer own .3284%. That simply cannot be legal.

Yes, they can change the points on the calendar within my unit. If they want to raise September by one point per night and lower April by one point, that's perfectly legal because everything stays in equilibrium. I still own .3284%. But to reclassify the unit itself and raise or lower points for EVERY SINGLE NIGHT (or any number of nights without an offset elsewhere on the calendar) would dilute my deeded ownership.

As I tried to explain above, it is the last one you mention, that DVC can, even if not expressly set out in the official documents applicable to a site when it is first sold, "create a category that costs more points and offset it by lowering it elsewhere," that is something Disney actually cannot do. Under the official documents, though Disney can do shifting of points, the total points applicable to each unit (not just the whole resort) cannot change, Rooms with bad views are part of "unit" to which a specified total number of points apply. To declare that such rooms (units) will now always be lower point cost and other units higher would change the total number of points applicable to those units. To make that kind of change, Disney would have to allow members to vote on the change.

that decision is based on more people traveling at times that Disney did not think they would.

not to satisfy members.

besides would be very, very unhappy if I owned BCV and found the time that I wanted got raised to made a NEW room catalogue.

that is not the same as DVC raising points because member vacation plans did not go along with Disney schedule.

The roadside view to which I'm referring overlooks (and overhears) Epcot Resort Blvd, I believe. The only reason we didn't request a room change for our studio was because we were too busy trying to secure a room change for our family who were in a 2 bedroom near construction. Why they were put in a room near construction/refurb is another post for another day...

This thread is actually making me chuckle :goodvibes
We always requested upper floor Epcot view at BCV, the rooms that the OP is saying they don't want, and we had trouble getting one all the time. That is the reason we sold, we could never get our room requests met, other than non smoking, and always ended up on the wrong side of the building on a lower floor. I'm not an owner right now, but if I were I would rather see requests being honored using the reservation date as a reference instead of the "room ready" policy where people are offered the first room available. I think that is the problem at BCV, they don't even look at requests. When an owner of any DVC makes a reservation at the 11 month point, the requests should be met when available. This should take priority over someone making a reservation a week out then walking in at 7 am and getting the first room available. We love BCV, it's still our favorite DVC but we will not be buying there again. If, well I should say when, we buy back into DVC it will be OKW or one of the new DVC's.

Agreed. We had the same view at BCV last year and did not like it. We thought there had to be some views of the lagoon looking across to Boardwalk or the lighthouse that would would be better. We are going back to BCV this year and we making a request not have the road view. Who knows maybe we will get lucky.:goodvibes

I hope you'll be lucky.:) You're there to enjoy and relax, not to listen on noisy cars outside and have that road view.

Have a nice trip. :)

Agreed. We had the same view at BCV last year and did not like it. We thought there had to be some views of the lagoon looking across to Boardwalk or the lighthouse that would would be better. We are going back to BCV this year and we making a request not have the road view. Who knows maybe we will get lucky.:goodvibes

There are no views of the lagoon or lighthouse from BCV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter