I need your help please!

Dee2015

Mouseketeer
Hi, I don't know which forum I should be asking my question and I hope you can point me in the right direction please?

I'm trying to understand how renting a Disney Vacation Villa works.

It appears to me that these are the two main brokers, is this correct?
http://www.dvcrequest.com/?oid=15_1
http://**************.com/

Is there any risk involved in this process?
Are there any cons?
Is one broker preferred over the other?

Any advice, assistance, experience would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi! Hopefully you'll get some DVC members who respond here. Like you, I'm wading into DVC point-renting territory for the first time too, so I can at least share what I've learned so far.
There seem to be three main brokers, and David's, which you've linked in your post, is the most popular.

There are risks. Renting DVC points is much less flexible than booking a normal hotel room. Once the reservation is made, you are pretty much locked into those dates and cannot get a refund if you choose to cancel. With some of the brokers, you have to pay a fee just for them to check for availability, and once the reservation is filled, you may be expected to pay in full (this varies depending on what broker you use).

The other way to go is to go to the Rent/Trade board here on the DIS and see what DVC owners are offering. Many will post when they have extra points they are wanting to rent. This can save you some money, as they usually rent for a couple of bucks cheaper than the brokers, plus, if you're trying to get a popular resort at a popular time, if you can find an owner at that resort who is willing to book for you at the 11-month mark, that greatly increases your chance of getting to stay where you want when you want. The trick, of course, is finding someone you trust. The people here at the DIS seem to be very experienced and trustworthy though, so that's good.

The only con I can see of renting DVC is, as mentioned above, the lack of flexibilitly, and the minor detail of not having housekeeping for your stay. But for the amount of savings you're getting to stay at a deluxe resort, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

Good luck to you! I'll be watching your thread to learn along with you! :)

Fantastic thanks GPC0321!

Who is the third broker you have found? DVCRentals was the other link I included and I'm definitely going through a broker so I'd like to look into the other one you have found too. Going through a broker (is that the correct way to refer to these businesses?) is a big enough step for me to start with :)

Last year we booked a vacation rental near Disneyland so I understand that once the dates are booked there is no changing. We also had an issues whereby the City of Anaheim lost power the week before our visit and there was a generator running in the car park next to our apartment. It was very loud and the wall vibrated while it was there but hey there was power and the apartment was so fantastic that it was worth putting up with.

I would think too, that travel insurance would cover some situations that may arise?

Re: the housekeeping, we always leave our do not disturb signs up lol!

So......where we staying then GPC0321?!! It opens up places we couldn't ordinarily afford OR (if I'm being a proper grown up) it will save me money on where I was already looking at - hehe!

The other risk not mentioned is that you do not own the reservation. The DVC member who made the reservation does until you check in and could cancel it at any time. That is not likely to happen but last year there were 2 separate reports of renters going through David's who lost their coveted October BWV reservations like 4-5 months out. Apparently the DVC owner was behind on their dues or something so DVC cancelled their upcoming reservations (DVC has the right to do this). David's refunded the renters the money they paid as promised but they were still upset as trying to find replacement accomodations with short notice (yes 4-5 months is short notice for renting DVC especially for the popular fall season) is very difficult if not impossible-these things seem to happen very infrequently but it is something to be aware of.
David's does not offer trip insurance to the best of my knowledge but I have read the other big rental broker does. The timeshare store also does rentals but I am not sure if they do them 11 months in advance like the other brokers or if it is more for owners who need to rent points in the short term (I know they will not add the dining plan through the timeshare store if that matters to you and don't think they do any time of trip insurance as this is not their main business).
Also as I said the DVC owner owns the reservation until you check in so you need to contact them to arrange MAgical Express, book the Dining plan (if you want it), make any room requests (except what you can do during online check in), etc.

Broker Pro : you will get your money back if the owner misses dues or cancels Con: NO flexibility, No adjustments, No Cancelations
DVC member Rent/trade board Pro: lower rate, maybe. Maybe some flex with adjustments to dates or even cancelations depending on owner. Con: little to no recourse if member cancels(very unlikely) High trust required.
I am an owner and have rented both ways when/if we have extra points. As an owner I now prefer renting direct and have built a few close renters that I give some flexibility to.

I'm new to the DVC points thing also. We have gone through David's for a BWV in December. So far the customer service has been quite good, and the reservation showed up immediately in MDE, so I can arrange the ME, purchase tickets, etc. without the owner's involvement, I believe. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

I'm really wanting to see if purchasing DVC in the future is something that would be worthwhile for our family, and thought that Step One might be to see how we feel about the villas vs the hotel stay.

And one can purchase travel insurance through David's. There is a link on their site.

The biggest adjustment to renting points has been the lack of flexibility. I consider this a CON, my DH feels otherwise--I drive him nuts changing the dates. ;)

It's also important to understand inventory.
  1. Point charts are just that - point charts. They are by no means a promise of any given accommodation being bookable for the dates you desire, even if you have an owner online for you at the very start of their 11-month booking period.
  2. Only timeshare owners at a given resort can book from 11 months to check in until 7 months to check in at that resort. So a broker needs inventory of owners with the specific points that align to your desired reservation.
  3. High season for DVC is NOT the same high season for most of Disney.
  4. If there is a specific resort and/or unit type you desire, trying to book at 11 months is preferred, and often even then there's no guarantee you get it, either because they are already booked, or there is insufficient inventory of an owner willing to make the reservation.

Making a request to a broker does not guarantee the request will be filled. It should be done as far out (11 months) as possible.

As mentioned, you do not own the reservation. It can get cancelled on you, and you are then SOL. The brokers will get you your money back at least. Going the independent route, you may have less recourse. There are very few reports of this happening, but it is a risk. Personally I would use a broker or someone I knew. I would be hesitant to go through the independent channel, but that is just me(I have trust issues). Most do not, and again, there does not seem to be rampant scams.

If you need to cancel, your money is gone, so travel insurance may be a smart move here. See what it covers.

With a broker, even if the worst happens, and your ressie gets cancelled, at least you get your money back, and can get some type of accommodation (maybe a moderate), but at least you can salvage your trip.

I'm new to the DVC points thing also. We have gone through David's for a BWV in December. So far the customer service has been quite good, and the reservation showed up immediately in MDE, so I can arrange the ME, purchase tickets, etc. without the owner's involvement, I believe. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

Is anyone able to confirm this please? Can she arrange her own ME, purchase tickets etc. without the owner's involvement?

[/QUOTE] The biggest adjustment to renting points has been the lack of flexibility. I consider this a CON, my DH feels otherwise--I drive him nuts changing the dates. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Sounds like mine too. Once I book our flights though that's the end to the flexibility anyway, so I can live with that :)

It was my understanding that the DVC owner arranged ME, and I think could add the dining plan if desired. Tickets, I believe, are up to you.
But I may be completely wrong.

Thanks. Found this http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/

Just checking if it's about the same each year? We're planning on late Nov/early Dec... thanks!

Unfortunately December weeks are some of the highest demand weeks for DVC for lots of reasons. They include lowest point requirements, typically lower theme park crowds, pleasant weather, parks/resorts decked out for the holidays and special events (MVMCP/member mixers/annual DVC meeting). They can be exceptionally challenging to book at 7 months especially for near park resorts. I would plan on booking your home resort and see if you can switch if there is availability at 7 months.

Seotember - Marathon weekend. Also, any runDisney weekend.

Thanks. Found this http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/

Just checking if it's about the same each year? We're planning on late Nov/early Dec... thanks!

She meant from September through the full marathon that occurs in Jan not the 1/2 marathon (wine and dine) that occurs in Nov.
The fall through early Jan is HIGH DVC season meaning it can be difficult to book a non home resort (or even sometimes certain catergories of a home resort like BWV standard view). One should plan on booking their home resort if they are definitely traveling to ensure they have a room during that time and then try to change at 7 months. Many are successful but near park resorts are often missing days or completely booked when the 7 month window opens especially if one is looking for a studio (or a 2 bedroom at BWV since they are all lockoffs)

Last edited:
I would plan on booking your home resort and see if you can switch if there is availability at 7 months.

And for rental, book at 11 months, and be aware you may pay a premium and not necessarily get a lower-cost room.

And for rental, book at 11 months, and be aware you may pay a premium and not necessarily get a lower-cost room.
Oops forgot they were renting-yes I agree would plan on paying the premium for a booking prior to 7 months at that time of year unless one plans to stay SSR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter