• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

" I need to checkout and then checkin ??"

abner1776

DIS Veteran
Our 4 night stay at OKW last weekend involved 2 nights on my points(Fri-Sat) and 2 nights(Sun-Mon) on my friends points.

MS linked the ressies but we could not do on-line checkin because of the split ressie(problem # 1).

Then when we checkin at OKW, we were told that we would have to checkout on Sunday and then immediately check back in with new room keys even though we were staying in the same room(problem # 2).

Also since our park tics were on the room key, we would have to go to the conceirge and have the park tics moved from the old room key to the new room key(problem # 3).

No one at the desk at OKW could explain why this whole check out check in process was required and it took us almost 20 minutes on Sunday to get this done.

Maybe some of you DVC veterans or road warriors can explain it to me because it was a real pain in the....

I had to do the same thing this past December at BLT and both reservations were made with my points. Didn't have to deal with park tickets as we have APs.

My biggest issue was that our new KTTW cards didn't when I got back to BLT from the front desk at the Contemporary at 6 AM. I had to go back to the Contemporary where they reissued the KTTW cards. This time the front desk CMs walked back with me to ensure I could get in to BLT and they also made sure the keys opened the room.

We've had to do this ever since June 2011 when they implemented the new system. So when we book some nights with one contract and other nights with a different contract, even though all nights are in the exact same lodging type and location, we have to check out and check in again.

Our last trip to VWL this month, when we checked in Bill and I couldn't get KTTW at all. But our son and our two guests got theirs. Then when we could get out keys, our son's KTTW (with charging privileges) wouldn't work to let him charge to the room. I think he had his card changed about four or five times.

Deb,
Earlier this month we spent 3 nights @ OKW. Some points were 2012 OKW's and some were SSR's 2013 and they didn't make us go thru that hassle. What was all that about?

Deb,
Earlier this month we spent 3 nights @ OKW. Some points were 2012 OKW's and some were SSR's 2013 and they didn't make us go thru that hassle. What was all that about?
Are your OKW and SSR contracts under the same membership (with the same master contract number but different subcontract numbers)?

I think Deb & Bill is saying this happens if you use more than one master contract (different membership numbers, usually because they are different UYs or as in the OP's case, different members) to book the stay, booking some nights with one master contract, the remaining nights with a different master contract. That creates two separate reservations which are then linked together. If you use two contracts under the same membership, they can just combine the points under one reservation, so linking is not required.

In my case, all points are under one membership but I had two separate reservation numbers due to the way the reservations were booked. It was for a Standard View at BLT and I was booking one night at a time as they became available. I had a wait list for three nights but nothing was happening on that, so I started booking nights when I saw them on-line. I was not going to risk losing the nights by having MS try to re-book them as a single reservation.

To the OP, maybe next time have the friend transfer you the points so you can do it on one ressie. While it seems sensible to do it how you did it, I can also see that not having been one of the design criteria for the system.

Yes you do have to check out, then check in. You might even have to change rooms.

I was fine w/the new keys, but not with changing rooms.

The "assigner" at AKV works at night and he kinda didn't care at all. I was told by the front desk staff to call down at 7am (while I was standing in front of him at 2am) to see if I needed to change rooms. Despite the fact that I notified them upon initial check in, they never made a note for the assigner to let me stay in my room.

What a PITA.

We had AKV Value at Christmas with 3 nights on points and 1 night with DVC discount cash. The reservations were linked, so we didn't have to change rooms, but we were told at check-in that we had to check-out and check-in on the day it went to a cash reservation. We didn't have to pack-up and move out.

We thought that didn't make any sense and complained about it to a manager at the front desk. He said hat's how it works, but he would take care of it for us.

He ended up sending the new keys to the room the day the cash reservation started. Everything worked out and we had no hassle. We never had to visit the front desk.

OP, we had the same scenario as you back in September at VWL. 4 night stay, 2 nights booked with our points and 2 nights booked with our friends' points. The stays were linked. When we checked in, the CM said "I'm going to do something to your reservation so you won't have to check out and back in" Whatever "something" was took 45 minutes, but when all was said and done we had a single 4 night stay and did not have to visit the front desk again. I know it involved cancelling and rebooking the stay, because I could see the points in holding in our DVC account until the resort took the back to use for the reservation.

Old way when we used two use years to reserve one continuous trip: make two reservations, MS linked them, checked in once just like doing it on one use year or one reservation.

New and improved way due to their replacing the old computer system with the fantastic new one: Our reservations can be linked by MS but that only gets the resort to recognize that you should remain in same room. New computer system (and we were actually told this) refuses to recognize the linkage and refuses to issue one room key, etc., for entire trip and they don't know how to fix it. Thus on the change over day you must get new keys, etc., and do a check-out and check-in procedure. That is what they call improvement.

Thanks everyone for your comments....I wanted to me sure it wasn't just me who thought the process was a bit flawed...it didn't help that the cast member checking us in was helpful but less than adequately knowledgeable about the check in process in general.

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and our long delay re-checking in caused us to just miss the bus to Epcot and it took another 30 minutes for another bus to come by so by the time we got to Epcot I was not a happy camper, but as we approached the entrance a family leaving the park approached us and gave us 5 fast passes for Soarin. We could only use two so we gave the other three to a family behind us with a special needs son...as I said...things happen for a reason.

We are going to have the same issue in May. My question is "do I have to have the entire party with me to do the second check-in?" We are a party of 9 and I don't want to have drag them all off to do this.

Thanks!

We are going to have the same issue in May. My question is "do I have to have the entire party with me to do the second check-in?" We are a party of 9 and I don't want to have drag them all off to do this.

Thanks!

No, they will print off all the keys and give them to you. If you have a car, don't forget your new parking permit, unless the original one was for the entire time. We've had both situations.

Start sending emails to the following:

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Maybe the new VP will do something about the problem.

:earsboy: Bill

I am not an it guy, just a quasi "unofficial" one at work. I know my way around technology and our IT guys treat people like jerks. I never understand why a corporation like Disney has crappy IT. It's not a difficult problem to solve, and enough complaints can surely fix the problem. If the same person rented a non DVC room and added a night, then they can "link" it but with DVC membership numbers they cannot? Seems like a simple solution to add a link to separate contract numbers.

I am not an it guy, just a quasi "unofficial" one at work. I know my way around technology and our IT guys treat people like jerks. I never understand why a corporation like Disney has crappy IT. It's not a difficult problem to solve, and enough complaints can surely fix the problem. If the same person rented a non DVC room and added a night, then they can "link" it but with DVC membership numbers they cannot? Seems like a simple solution to add a link to separate contract numbers.

They can link DVC reservations, but you still have to check out and check back in again.

We had to do the check-out check-in thing last week. It wasn't too terrible. I went alone to the front desk and picked up the new keys for both of us.

I do think it is stupid though.

I got the extra night via wait list, so the reservation was a different number (same contract though). I would have happily spent time on the phone with MS if they could cancel both reservations and issue a new unified reservation, but I was reluctant to do so since I was afraid of losing my reservation entirely.

Ok, I am SO glad that we and our friends booked 2 separate 1BR's rather than staying together in a 2BR.

we have had to check-out/check-in when we have had a combination of some nights on points but 1 or 2 nights on DVC cash discounts. Luckily, we have reminded the desk when we check in of all of the reservation numbers and they have verified that they have somehow been linked. The desk CM always states that they can't "guarantee" that we will not have to change rooms! So far, in the 3 times we have had points and cash nights we have not had to change rooms. Changing rooms would be a big hastle.

It is a bit of a pain to have check-in and get your keys (8 for a 2 bedroom) for a Sunday to Thursday on DVC points, check-out/check-in and get new keys for a stay Fri/Sat on cash and check-out/check-in and get new keys again for a Sunday on points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter