I need some suggestions/help for Blue Bayou

EmmersIsTheMommy

DIS Veteran
We've only eaten there once but it was with the Dream Suite package so we were hurried in and out. We have NO idea what to do aside from making reservations the day they're released.

Any suggestions on time of day?

How do we get a waterfront table?

DH and I were planning on trying to go alone and leave the kiddos with Grandma so probably a full meal..but just in case, do they allow dessert only?

We're fully aware this is mostly an ambiance thing, so we're preparing to pay a lot for 'eh' food... but what do you suggest we eat? (Your favorite/least favorite/something to avoid?)

Any other suggestions you can think of? (even if it's 'skip it eat *here* instead' :lmao: ) We want a really nice dinner out with just us so if you have somewhere new we should try we're up for suggestions :goodvibes

Make reservations early!!
We tried to make reservations the day of and the day after we were there and nothing was available.
I don't like cajun food so i ordered something generic.
I am pretty sure you can order just desert.
You can request a waterfront table in your reservation but they will tell you it is not guaranteed, when we arrived I told them I would wait longer for a waterfront table and they said that was fine.

Any suggestions on time of day?

How do we get a waterfront table?

DH and I were planning on trying to go alone and leave the kiddos with Grandma so probably a full meal..but just in case, do they allow dessert only?

We're fully aware this is mostly an ambiance thing, so we're preparing to pay a lot for 'eh' food... but what do you suggest we eat? (Your favorite/least favorite/something to avoid?)

You can reserve the first lunch or first dinner available.

When you arrive to check in ask for water, it usually take about 15 minutes extra of waiting to be seated. If you are when it opens for lunch or dinner it could be quicker, but they still stagger how people are let in so it could be 5, 10 or 15 minutes of waiting.

You could do dessert, or ask for an extra plate, or ask to split the meal($12) which comes with a second appetizer and sides.

I like the Surf and Turf best, lobster tail and filet mignon. Tesoro Island Chicken is my second pick. For lunch the surf and turf isn't available but a lot of people like the Monte Cristo.

I had the boneless beef short ribs and they were good, especially with the potatoes and green beans. I had my mom with me and she had the beef strip loin, which she really enjoyed. With two sodas and one dessert, I paid $95 (with Premium AP discount + tip) for the both of us. It was worth it though, because it would have never happened if we had more people in our party and we really enjoyed not fighting the massive crowds for a place to eat, and you feel like you're in your own little land.

My best friend absolutely loves the surf and turf (Personally, I don't like seafood :crazy2:). I think the Tesoro chicken is on the bone, which really made cringe when I had it...I might be making that up though, but I know there was a reason I never ordered it again.

Hopefully you and your husband are able to enjoy a meal and spend at least an hour there to take in the ambiance. :thumbsup2

In July of 2010 my parents, my two kids and myself showed up at BB at 10am and ere able to make a reservation for that evening. We were seated about 2 tables away from the water, with a great view of the bayou and ride boats. I realize that this is not something that happens often, but now and then it can, and it's awesome. I loved the tesoro chicken, my dad had a steak of some sort that he was thrilled with and the kids had the ribs which they still don't shut up about. I cannot remember what Mom had to save my life, but as I recall she thought it was awesome too. We had never eaten there before as we figured we couldn't afford it, but for 5 of us, including gratuity, dinner came to about $250, if I recall correctly, which really isn't all that horrible. I've been instructed that we will have dinner there every time we visit or the children will mutiny.

I had the chicken, it was DELICIOUS. My fiance had the steak, which was also very good. (The best steak he's ever had, in his opinion.) I've heard the Monte Cristo is delicious, though it's only for lunch.

My suggestion would be to both order something different so you both can try it! I loved the gumbo, but wasn't fond of the salad...still, it would be nice to be able to take bites of a couple different dishes!

Ask for a waterside table. They'll often tell you it'll be an extra 15-40 mins, but I only waited for 2.

DH had the Tesoro Island chicken and he wasn't impressed. I had the steak with some kind of wine sauce, potatoes and green beans and it tasted really good (though nothing out-of-this-planet thing).

Both dishes came with gumbo soup (you could chose another different thing but I don't remember what it was). We didn't like it much, it tasted pretty much like the gumbo they sell next to Pirates of the Caribbean underneath the Dream Suite. But, the rice was dry and crunchy, so we didn't like it at all.

We ended up having dessert somewhere else in the park.

The steak and the Tesoro Island Chicken with two glasses of diet coke... 80 dollars! too much for us for what we got...
we were the only table to not to be offered a basket of bread, we found out too late that the other tables each had its basket (and DH is used to eat with bread since he's a Spaniard but we were afraid to ask for bread since we thought that it we didn't get bread it was because of some cultural difference)

the place is priceless and truly awesome though.

I don't think you can go wrong with a steak. I remember deciding we wanted to eat there around 6pm, so we went to make reservations, and got some for 10 pm or so. It was too late for me to eat, but everyone else loved it. My brother got the short ribs, I had a bite and was glad I chose the steak. I'm spoiled at home, I am married to a cajun and he makes the best short ribs ever. We had a nice time!

Midnightred

LOVE the Surf 'n Turf!! My dd and I do it as a split plate and order creme brulee for dessert. Your dh probably isn't into sharing, though...I know mine isn't. I share when I can because my favorite part of the meal is dessert (which I do NOT share).

Here is a tip: ask for waterside when you arrive for your reservation. They will tell you it will be an extra 45 minutes. Every single time I've been, they've told me that. I've always said ok and I'm seated waterside within 10 minutes. I think they say 45 minutes hoping people will decide it isn't worth it.

Ok We'll definitely get reservations and we'll ask for the waterside when we go. Still undecided on lunch or dinner but the prices are pretty much the same so probably dinner.

Surf and Turf sounds so good right now. Has anyone had the Jambalaya?

Yeah I wish my husband would split plates with me! haha. As it is, he probably won't get full. I'll make sure we get bread ;) LOL

We've been there a few times and what worked well for us was we called ahead of time and got PS for the first available dinner seating, which is around 4:00. We checked in at the restaurant about 20 minutes early and requested a waterside table. As other posters have stated, they said that is may be a longer wait, but we were actually seated within about 10 minutes of our PS reservation time. I really like the food there. Our family has had the crab cakes, surf and turf and jambalaya. All were good (surf and turf is my fav) and I especially like the gumbo and creamy sliced potatoe side dish. We haven't tried desert there yet as we are always too full from dinner!

I followed blackjackdelta's advice to get an 11:30 ressie. Although we showed up at 10:45, there were already a bunch of people waiting to check in. Although 10-15 people checked in ahead of us, we were actually the first people to be called once they started seating. Our little party of 3 was placed dead center next to water, it was great.

I meant to say thanks Jack for the advice, worked exactly like you said! I imagine if we had kept our 1:30 ressie, it would not have worked out so well.

Sorry, I know the topic is BB but...you got to stay in the Dream Suite???? The old disney gallery? I'd pick that hands-down over the castle suite at WDW, any of the themed suites at DLH or even eating at Club 33.

Of course, staying at the Dream Suite AND eating at Club 33 would be a dream come true. I dream of several nights, not just being rushed into the suite for one night and out early the next morning. And in my dream we get served breakfast on the patio of the suite from Cafe Orleans - crepes (and get served REAL coffee from Peet's along with breakfast). And of course eat at BB too. Having the private patio area is so uniquely cool to that suite. NO square has been is my favorite of all the parks since I was a little girl (love Pirates, love France and the real New Orleans) and I've since been to WDW, DL/DCA and DLP (once). I've looked at sites of the dream suite with full photos, videos and descriptions from some that have been privileged to visit or stay there. I've been obsessed with that suite since I read about it and saw the photos. We were able to be there when it was the disney gallery so I have a little idea of what the space is like. Too amazing!

"I have a dream" - oh well, a girl can dream right?

Wow. That's got to be a highlight for you and great memories, huh? :)

Sorry, I know the topic is BB but...you got to stay in the Dream Suite???? The old disney gallery? I'd pick that hands-down over the castle suite at WDW, any of the themed suites at DLH or even eating at Club 33.

Of course, staying at the Dream Suite AND eating at Club 33 would be a dream come true. I dream of several nights, not just being rushed into the suite for one night and out early the next morning. And in my dream we get served breakfast on the patio of the suite from Cafe Orleans - crepes (and get served REAL coffee from Peet's along with breakfast). And of course eat at BB too. Having the private patio area is so uniquely cool to that suite. NO square has been is my favorite of all the parks since I was a little girl (love Pirates, love France and the real New Orleans) and I've since been to WDW, DL/DCA and DLP (once). I've looked at sites of the dream suite with full photos, videos and descriptions from some that have been privileged to visit or stay there. I've been obsessed with that suite since I read about it and saw the photos. We were able to be there when it was the disney gallery so I have a little idea of what the space is like. Too amazing!

"I have a dream" - oh well, a girl can dream right?

Wow. That's got to be a highlight for you and great memories, huh? :)

It really was quite amazing. I hate that it was so fast and rushed tho. I wanted to sit and enjoy it. The patio was amazing. We actually went and bought the Pirates soundtrack just so we could hear the music to 'take us back'. So romantic out there. The fireflies and the music being piped through. :lovestruc I only feel sad that my DD that won was 2 and remembers bits and pieces but not a lot. We have to show her pictures and the videos we have from the trip.

We definitely are in love with NO square too. This just solidified it times a billion. I think this is why we're going to eat at BB again. To try to relive that evening. I'm not sure how any trip can really top that one HAHA

I always recommend lunch and trying for the first seating. We've enjoyed our lunches more, maybe because it's dark in BB and it's such a transition from the bright sun outside. :) We get the 11:30 am seating and get there 15 minutes early, check in and ask for waterside seating. You should get it with no problems or extra waits at all. There have been a few visits we've done later seatings (we made late reservations so didn't get our 11:30 time), with those times we've also requested waterside, we are normally told it's an extra 45 minute wait (so 1 hour total) and we always say OK, it's never ever been that long of a wait. We are normally seated with about an extra 20 minute wait.

I like the Tesoro Island Chicken very very much!! I do not like chicken with bones but every time I've had chicken at DLR/DCA or at Storyteller's I've loved it!!!! I highly recommend it!! DBF likes the steak, the Monte Cristo, we've never done the Surf & Turf and I did not like the ribs. DD15 liked the ribs but I did not. I get a salad, DBF gets the Gumbo (BEST Gumbo ever!! it's NOTHING like the stuff at the window by PotC) and we share those, the potatoes at BB are amazing, and yes they are to bring you bread, if you don't get it just ask. :) We've never done dessert there, well not since they got rid of the cookie boat, but I hear good things. :)

go and enjoy, relax and have fun with it!! :)

We've always done the first seating (lunch) with a request for waterside seating with our reservation. Like others have stated, we mention that when checking in early & we have always got it. :thumbsup2

We have tried: the jambalya (very good), the monte cristo (good but very rich!), the short ribs (loved these! prob my favourite item at the BB), the crab cakes (very good), & the chicken (delicious as well). I would have them all again. We all always get the gumbo as our starter. Yum! :lovestruc And as pixiewings71 posted above...we haven't had dessert there since the cookie boat was taken off of the menu so I can't give an opinion on that. Would love it if they brought that back.

Jumping in... one question. For the double-double for older kids, do they include the beverages that goes with the kids menu? all the items'
Thanks!

Seems like Lunch is the way to go. Be a nice break from the heat too, I imagine. MMM Now I am crazy hungry for some gumbo and jambalaya :lovestruc:goodvibes

Okay, now that's just more than I can handle! I'd sleep out on the patio.

I started to. But you wouldn't if you tried out the bed ;) I have never. EVER. everrrrrrr felt a bed that comfortable in my whole entire life. I cried when it was time to get up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter