I need some reassurance

monkistan

Mouseketeer
So my DW after being home with our DS for 2 years has decided to go back to work. She just got an awesome job!!! and wants to celebrate before she starts. Also, she's feeling a little guilty about leaving DS in daycare. I am too.

So she floated the idea, maybe we can take him on a disney trip before I start. Have a nice family time. Which of course, to me means: Go an plan us a disney vacation. So, in 15 days we're leaving for the POR. Was going to book POP, but the rate sold out.

Anyway, is it nuts to plan a last minute 4 night trip with a 2 year old toddler? We took him when he was 10 months old, but now he walks and talks and has opinions. I've never had a trip like this.

No idea what to expect.

First congratulations to your wife! My hubby and I are both working parents and our son (currently 1) prefers school over staying at home with us. He learns so much and gets to play with friends all day long instead of sitting around with boring mom. I hope everything works out for you but it is an adjustment for sure. Some quality family time sounds like a great idea.

We are planning our first trip with our son we he is 2. I think the key is to go with patience and loose plans. I have received several suggestions like letting them run loose in the playground areas, use the baby stations for diaper changes if you are near by, feel out his patience for wait times for rides, get a stroller that reclines for easy napping in the park, etc.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes

He's in daycare/school twice a week right now, and doesn't love it. Hoping to find a different one. (he loves staying home with boring mom, so it'll be an adjustment, but a necessary one)

The baby stations are great. I have to learn patience. He's really easy, so yeah we're going to let him run a bit, and do a bit of carrying (i'm testing out a toddler carrier this weekend). And we're bringing our graco stroller. We're getting a crib for the room, but i'm also thinking he might want to try out the big bed. So we'll see. OMG so much fun. I've had too much coffee and i'm losing my mind.

I'm so excited.

He's in daycare/school twice a week right now, and doesn't love it. Hoping to find a different one. (he loves staying home with boring mom, so it'll be an adjustment, but a necessary one)

That would be hard on me if my baby didn't love school. I hope you find one that's a perfect fit for your family.

Glad you are excited! I am sure it will be a blast.

Planning a last minute trip sounds great. With a 2 year old, he won't know if he is missing anything so you can just go with the flow. I find it harder to plan now that the kids are older (9 and 6) and have their own ideas about what is important to do.

The baby stations are great. I have to learn patience. He's really easy, so yeah we're going to let him run a bit, and do a bit of carrying (i'm testing out a toddler carrier this weekend). And we're bringing our graco stroler. We're getting a crib for the room, but i'm also thinking he might want to try out the big bed. So we'll see. OMG so much fun. I've had too much coffee and i'm losing my mind.

I'm so excited.
coming from an exdaycare worker, going 2 days a week is harder on kids than 5 days a week. plus you will need at least 2 full weeks before you will know how it is going to go. and this will be true with every classroom and teacher change. and I worked with 1 and 2 year olds mostly. loved working with that age

coming from an exdaycare worker, going 2 days a week is harder on kids than 5 days a week. plus you will need at least 2 full weeks before you will know how it is going to go. and this will be true with every classroom and teacher change. and I worked with 1 and 2 year olds mostly. loved working with that age

oh I'm sure that's right because right now, from his perspective it's haphazard. It's just all we were able to do right now, while she was looking for work.

I think you're going to have a great trip! We took our 2 and 3 year olds in September and had such a great time that we're headed back in 2 weeks. Here's what worked for us:
  • Schedule down time. My kids aren't good stroller nappers, so we set aside time each day to go back to the hotel. They didn't always sleep, but we all needed a little quiet time.
  • We chose a couple of things that were most important. Last time it was all about the characters. We booked far enough in advance that we were able to schedule a lot of character meals. This time it's all about MK: rides, parades, shows, fireworks.
  • We chose not to wait in a lot of lines. We scheduled FPs for the morning and kept afternoons flexible. We had no trouble getting afternoon FPs at MK (though I imagine other parks are more difficult). Our first day at MK, we were able to do 12+ attractions, even with 2 table service meals, a looooong nap, and leaving the park before 8pm.
Happy planning! I'm sure you'll all enjoy the trip!

I agree that planning at the last minute may actually be a great thing. The few plans the better with a toddler. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what catches their attention. I took DS when he was 2.5 as a last only-child trip before DD was born. We spent nearly 30 minutes one morning in MK watching a custodial cast member spray wonderful patterns on the side walk as she power washed it. DS would ask for a pattern and she would make it for him. He constantly surprised me about what he was interested in and what he passed by without a second glance. For instance, he paid zero attention to the parade floats, but sat entranced the entire time the band performed in Liberty Square. We must have ridden The Grand Fiesta Tour about 8 times in four days, but he showed little interest in IASW.

Too much planning means you can't move at a toddler's pace which can vary from refusing to move to sprinting in a heartbeat. Take the trip for it is: a chance to spend some quality family time together. It sounds like a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

Have a wonderful trip, I will bet there will be some really fun memories made along the way.pixiedust:

My DGS will be 2 on Tuesday and we are taking him, DD and SIL for 4 nights next week to celebrate so it will be his 1st trip and 2nd birthday celebration trip... I think the 4 adults will be able to handle it.... I hope...o_O

I can't wait to see what he see's and is going to be interested in.... it going to be magical..pixiedust:

One way to keep waiting to a minimum is booking a character meal. At 2, he is free at buffets, so Chef Mickey's would be a great way to see Mickey and the gang without waiting.

Port Orleans is amazing, super nice and really comfortable. A last minute trip plan will eventually start and end there so you are already great.
-Go with the flow when travelling with youngsters. Maybe they want to go on this ride or see something in this particular area.
-Coming from experience travelling with my 5 year 5 times to WDW since shes been born, make it about them. Early nights, nap time in the parks. That age has a ton of energy.

Everyone here has such amazing advise. Adhere too a little advise from this person, that person and finally from your self and you guys will do great. Congratulations to you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter