i need some new ideas!

jimim

DIS Veteran
hi everyone. ok we leave Saturday for yet another trip.

I feel like I'm getting kinda hum drum with my pics that involve my kids. I'm pretty tired of the typical character pics or the waiting in line watching rides pics or "hey look at me I'm eating a mickey head" pics (is that just me? lol).

Anyone ha some ideas of some pics that I can pull off, but wanted them to be something I print out for their room.

Right now I have a larger print in each of their room of them on the carousel. then flanking that pic 2 smaller pics , one of them playing in the park and one of something from that trip that is scenery.

So I had an idea of using my wide angle and taking a pic of them infront of one of their favorite ride but really wanted to get almost the full ride in with them still close in the shot. do you all think that is possible if I get about 4-5 feet from them? do you even think it's a good idea. I figured I could try to shoot it lower from the ground upward. I don't know. . . stupid? boring?

any other ideas?

How old are your kids?

One thing to keep in mind is that putting a person up close with a wide angle lens does tent to distort the face a bit.

My favorite photos each trip tend to be things that just come up along the way.

Keep in mind that while you might be taking the same shots over every trip, you're taking them with your kids at new ages, and it will be fun to look back years from now and see how they grew up at Disney.

Do you have some favorite shots from when they are younger that you want to recreate? I did plan to recreate this one on our most recent trip:

Sleeping Beauty's Golden Castle by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Castle Watching by mom2rtk, on Flickr

How old are your kids?

One thing to keep in mind is that putting a person up close with a wide angle lens does tent to distort the face a bit.

My favorite photos each trip tend to be things that just come up along the way.

Keep in mind that while you might be taking the same shots over every trip, you're taking them with your kids at new ages, and it will be fun to look back years from now and see how they grew up at Disney.

Do you have some favorite shots from when they are younger that you want to recreate? I did plan to recreate this one on our most recent trip:

Sleeping Beauty's Golden Castle by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Castle Watching by mom2rtk, on Flickr

that's awesome. huge change. lol they are 6 and 3. I have taken pics of both of them on the carousel each trip. it is fun to see how they change.

I have to go back to my other trips and look through and see what else I can do with kate at least cause she is the 6 year old.

my kids are 6 and 3 so looking for some kid ideas.

That was a 10 year gap for us, going from DL's 50th to the 60th Anniversary.

With such young kids, maybe you'll want to be taking shots to update later. :) Although some updates on the ones you took when the 6 year old was younger might be fun.

I generally go into each trip just planning to shoot what I find that interests me. But at the same time, I usually have 2 or 3 shots in my head I want to make sure I don't miss. (The one above was one of those.) That tends to keep it fun without making it a chore.

I really like your idea of shooting them each trip on the carousel. It would be fun to put several on the wall through the years. I scrapbook, and would total make that into a nice layout with all of those shots through the years. I'm planning an entire scrapbook full of shots with the characters through the years.

That was a 10 year gap for us, going from DL's 50th to the 60th Anniversary.

With such young kids, maybe you'll want to be taking shots to update later. :) Although some updates on the ones you took when the 6 year old was younger might be fun.

I generally go into each trip just planning to shoot what I find that interests me. But at the same time, I usually have 2 or 3 shots in my head I want to make sure I don't miss. (The one above was one of those.) That tends to keep it fun without making it a chore.

I really like your idea of shooting them each trip on the carousel. It would be fun to put several on the wall through the years. I scrapbook, and would total make that into a nice layout with all of those shots through the years. I'm planning an entire scrapbook full of shots with the characters through the years.

we are there so much anymore that our October trip last year Repunzel said "weren't u here a few months ago with more kids?" I said ya my neighbors kids. lol I thought that was pretty funny, but we always make sure each trip we go back to certain characters. Mary poppins is another one of those characters we never miss cause my daughter always has fun with her.

I'm going to try the wide angle lens thing and see where it takes me. maybe it will get me using it more throughout the park cause I will be too lazy to switch back to my walking lens.

There's almost always a different angle to photograph from (try down low or standing on some steps) or a different time of day to get some of those standard and favorite shots. For many years I did not have many night shots because our son was young and we tended to be back in our room fairly early unless there's a special event. In the past few trips I have worked to get more night shots and look for different spots I haven't shot from before.

Try doing a search on SmugMug or Flickr using the search terms Disneyworld or Disney World to see what other people take pictures of at WDW. And don't forget to scan the different threads in the DIS Theme Parks Community forum and the different threads in this forum. I get some of my best inspiration for WDW photos from those posted by others.

Just keeping your eyes open for inspiration might surprise you!

Last edited:
I saw a great photo online recently where the photographer (the dad I guess) got in the dumbo in front of his wife and child and then turned around and focused on them. They kept both dumbos steady at mid height I guess. There was a bit of motion blur on the subjects but not too much but you could clearly see the motion from the lights in the background. It made for a very cool shot. I plan to try to recreate it with my DD and my nephew on our upcoming trip. It may have been on the easywdw site... I'll see if I can find a link. Another fun pic is getting them trying to pull out excalibur. That would be a good one to mark the years with.

mom2rtk is right about the wide angle distorting faces. Maybe practice a bit with it and them before going to see what angle will work best. I have the Tokina 11-16 UWA and I've found that if you are angled up or down you do get a lot of distortion. Great for funky architecture shots but not so great for people!

I saw a great photo online recently where the photographer (the dad I guess) got in the dumbo in front of his wife and child and then turned around and focused on them. They kept both dumbos steady at mid height I guess. There was a bit of motion blur on the subjects but not too much but you could clearly see the motion from the lights in the background. It made for a very cool shot. I plan to try to recreate it with my DD and my nephew on our upcoming trip. It may have been on the easywdw site... I'll see if I can find a link. Another fun pic is getting them trying to pull out excalibur. That would be a good one to mark the years with.

mom2rtk is right about the wide angle distorting faces. Maybe practice a bit with it and them before going to see what angle will work best. I have the Tokina 11-16 UWA and I've found that if you are angled up or down you do get a lot of distortion. Great for funky architecture shots but not so great for people!

thanks. totally know the pic from dumbo u are talking about. i have been trying to get it with my wife and kids for a few trips now. all i have managed was a few good shots of my son looking over the side of dumbo or at me.

i have to pull my tokina out tomorrow and try in front of my house with my daughter and see what works. ya u are right about shooting up with it. i do remember now. i don't pull mine out often. that's my goal this trip. i want to use it more. i rely too much on my walk around canon 28-50 II 2.8

There's almost always a different angle to photograph from (try down low or standing on some steps) or a different time of day to get some of those standard and favorite shots. For many years I did not have many night shots because our son was young and we tend to be back in our room fairly early unless there's a special event. In the past few trips I have worked to get more night shots and look for different spots I haven't shot from before.

Try doing a search on SmugMug or Flickr using the search terms Disneyworld or Disney World to see what other people take pictures of at WDW. And don't forget to scan the different threads in the DIS Theme Parks Community forum and the different threads in this forum. I get some of my best inspiration for WDW photos from those posted by others.

Just keeping your eyes open for inspiration might surprise you!

same boat as you were in. young kids so we head back earlier but are starting to stay out later now. i really don't have a lot of night shots. thanks for the tips.

jimi

same boat as you were in. young kids so we head back earlier but are starting to stay out later now. i really don't have a lot of night shots. thanks for the tips.

jimi

You're very welcome. Share a few new ones when you return!

So I had an idea of using my wide angle and taking a pic of them infront of one of their favorite ride but really wanted to get almost the full ride in with them still close in the shot. do you all think that is possible if I get about 4-5 feet from them? do you even think it's a good idea. I figured I could try to shoot it lower from the ground upward. I don't know. . . stupid? boring?

any other ideas?

Sounds like a plan! Just keep shooting. Wide angles can be tough sometimes due to distortion. Of course sometimes the distortion is kind of cool. This one was shot at 10mm on a crop sensor from about 2' away.

i-Xhhz7WP-L.jpg

fyi.... instead of cropping... some software will attempt to correct that distortion.

I like the different angle idea. I also have been getting more candid shots of DS, so I get ones where he's looking off at stuff or just playing around. He doesn't like posing anymore and won't give a good smile if he knows you are taking his picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter