I need some help!

dsnymom2003

Mouseketeer
I have a question for you wonderful people! My nephew is 6 years old and has spinal and hip dysplacia(sp) and his mother has been told that he needs a motorized scotter/wheelchair! It has to be motorized because the disease keeps him from being able to use a regular chair. The problem. Being that she has a $5000 deduc.on ins and she can not afford the chair. Are there agencies or programs that can help them? He does go to Shriner's. Thank you for any help!

I would check with the Shriner's and see if there is something that they can do.

Check with Shriners and March of Dimes. Also ask your OT and PT. They sometimes know of programs that can help.

I second/third asking shriners and the ot/pt. for what it is worth, Easter seals helped out my sister. :confused3 but that was just for the ramp.

I 4th asking at Shriners since he already goes there and also the OT/PT. They should have a Social Worker who can help him with funding issues.

Also, working with an OT and/or PT who can help with fitting is really important. He should have access to them at Shriners and possibly also at school.

A couple of other things to think about:
1) Will he need it inside the house, or just when he is out and about?
If he needs it inside the house, a power wheelchair will be able to turn much sharper and fit into smaller spaces.

2) Does he have positioning needs? Scooters are usually a kind of basic seat, similar to an office chair. If he needs more specialized seating, that may only be available with a power wheelchair.

3) Power wheelchairs are usually more expensive than scooters.

4) Many scooters can be taken apart into smaller pieces to transport in a car trunk. Most power wheelchairs can’t be taken apart in any way and will need to be transported in a van with a ramp or some other way to get it into the van. Same for getting into the house - power wheelchairs are too heavy to lift and if there are any steps, they may need a ramp to get it into the house.

5) If he will be taking it to school and rides a bus, the family will need to contact the transportation office in the school to arrange this. Even if a scooter is tied down with a restraint system on the bus, it’s usually better to get off and sit in a bus seat instead of remaining on the ECV. If someone can get off a power wheelchair, the company usually says it is safer to get off.
It is possible to get a power wheelchair with a ‘transportation package’ that provides bolted on places to attach the restraint system.

6) Also, have her check her insurance. Wheelchairs come under the heading of "Durable Medical Equipment.” There are usually copays involved in that kind of medical equipment - ours is a 20% copay, but different polices have different copays.

I think the Variety Club also helps out with medical supply funding. Good luck!! It is ridiculous how much medical equipment is!! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter