• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I need some help for my best friend and kinda fast...

Angibaby

I'm Going to Disney World!
So my best friend in the world is leaving for her first trip the the World on Friday so I need whatever info I can gather by then for her (all the while living MY life and taking care of my 4 busy brats! LOL!) I just realized that she isnt they "planner type" as much as I. I SHOULD have been clued in when I was reading my travel guide to Vegas and she was making fun of me, but I digress...despite her shortcomings :lmao: I would love for her and her family to have a magical as possible trip to the World. It could be hard with her boys and this is why I am here on this board! ;) (Ya knew I was getting there SOMEDAY right? :rotfl2: )

Her older son is 11 and has been diagnosed with a sensory intergration disorder (I think that is what she called it) and ADHD. If he gets bored he will "find" trouble. He has a strong need to move, (part of his IEP has a rocking chair in his class so he can get up and go sit in it as long as he isnt disturbing the class) I am sure there are more issues but when I am around he isnt too much of a problem (seems like he is always playing a video game or basketball when I am over there. LOL!) so I cant think of them off the top of my head right now.

Her younger son is 6. I dont think he has a specific diagnosis or "reason" for his disability. I think after all the testing they have done they have just said he is developmentally delayed and his IQ is low. he still has BMs in his pants at times (he also has some severe tummy issues needing a daily laxitive). I would say his behavior is certainly "younger" than a 3 year old to give you an idea of what life is like for him. He is in a special needs classroom and is in the first grade (where he is for age) but only can recognize the first letter of his name. I can imagine him giving her "holy hell" if he were to have to wait in a line for too long. If he wants something or sees something interesting he will want it THEN. He wont "get" that he cant walk around 4 other kids to hug Mickey Mouse, in a situation like that if she were to redirect him he would likely throw a fit for her. She gives him directions on his level but he still has trouble getting the idea that it will be his turn soon. In that respect he is more difficult than most kids even at their developmenatal level. From my observation of him I would say that redirecting him or leaving the situation would NOT stop this type of behavior "the next time" like it would for a toddler or preschooler. Being that he is the size of a typical 6 year old also makes things a bit more difficult to "remove" him also. I would imagine a breakdown at Disney by him would be a embarrasing for my friend too considering his size. (ya know how people are jerks and judge without knowing everything. Under the breath comments "if that were MY kid!" UG I wanna haul off on people like that. You dont know the whole story idiot!:headache: )

She will be traveling with one other adult and I believe 2 teens (well at least one teen). I want them ALL to have a good time and I cant imagine it is easy for the boys to not be able to control this and be causing the problems. I love these people (esp that little one!:goodvibes He is my sugar! ).

Anyway she "heard" she could bring their IEPs and she would be able to get a card to get to the front of the line. I obviously knew right away that she ment a GSC. I had heard of it myself from my lurking here. However I did "think" (because I had no reason to research it yet) that you needed a MD note stateing the disablity.

I did read the FAQ about this and noted that she doesnt HAVE TO bring a thing (including the IEP) is that correct? Is it helpful to bring something? It also says if she does it needs to state what her needs are not the diagnosis (I think that is mainly what she was thinking she needed from the IEP), how would she word their needs in order to increase the chances of her getting their cards to best suit the need to get in and out as soon as possible? The FAQ said they dont even DO THAT? I Know she isnt expecting NO WAITS but they are really going to have to be minimal for them, esp the younger of the two. She is obviously going to have to use frequent breaks and all the same techniques she uses at home and try to get fast passes if at all possible but if this is going to be fun for any of them they are going to have to have some reduced wait times.

Thanks for all your help in advance! This is my bff and I so want her to enjoy her time with her kids. She works so hard everyday. (though if she were bringing ME well then I would REALLY want her to have a good time...:lmao: ) And the kiddos deserve it too! :goodvibes

She is going to have to use FastPass where available, maybe hook her up with the TourGuide Mike or the touring plans site(s) so she can get an idea which parks are expected to be least busy which days, start her park touring EARLY - arrive before the parks open - and make use of the Tip Board in each park to see which attractions have no/short waits.

Please feel free to enlarge this and print it out for her: THERE IS NO "PASS" OR OTHER OBJECT WHICH WILL ENABLE HER PARTY TO SKIP, OR GO TO THE HEAD OF, ANY LINE.

In the vast majority of cases of children (really all people) who have a neurovariant WDW is a wonderful place. This is not to say that it does not take some special planning and procedures and there will likely be some transient events which needs to be “dealt with” but with the right “attitude and knowledge” WDW is one of the best place on earth for our children.

I know time is short but read the GAC section of the FAQ above and print it out for your friend.

There are lots of threads in this section about how to have the best vacation for neurovariant children, as much as you and/or your friend have time to read through them it will likely be helpful.

bookwormde

Thanks guys. I did direct her to this sight when I realized that she was planning her trip without even the knowledge that the MNSSHP is a seperate ticket. :scared1:

The fact is this is a realitivly short trip and the plan is really for a trip to Orlando with one or two Disney days. (She is leaving on Friday and isnt even sure how many days two days before!) The good part of this is if the first day is a disaster her plans are flexible and they can just be in Orlando and play. She already has it planned that Sat they will be in MK and I dont think TGM would make her change her mind because they have two hotels and that is the transfer day so it cant be a hang by the pool day. I would GUESS (not having been myself) that a Sat is always going to be more crowded than other days. I will check for her and just make sure it isnt a EMH day and try to convince her to change days if it is. I am not sure how much she knows about fast passess and how to use them.

I hope she has a printer cause mine isnt working but her DD is sitting for me for a while and I while tomorrow and I will try to print out some stuff for her (that is a GREAT idea for the plane cause she is packing and cant sit and read the net right now!). I did read the GAC FAQ and will for sure print those out for her.

I am sure hoping that this trip is nice for all of them. I can see her youngest being so excited, but sometimes that can be a problem IFKWIM! Wish I could see his face the first time he sees Mickey, she better get a photo of that for me! :love: (if you could just meet him, the way he loves so so special. When I visit them the way he get so excited and calls out all our names! :lovestruc )

She is just going to have to make me her official trip planner from now on so we arent struggeling for info at the last minute next time! :cutie:

If the yooungest in able to stroller, they can get a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) for the stroller. We had to do that and then the wait in line is much easier with the stroller.
I did Mikes website, but did do the late night closings at MK & Epcot.
Grab fast passes. There really is not much to go to the front of the line at all. In fact sometimes when having my scooter it was a longer wait at a side entrance to have CM to lead us in, as in the Huanted houes.

I don;t think the behavior will be any worse then cranky tired kids. the IEP, I did not need my doctors note when I used the rollator, or when we needed the stroller pass. Back surgery and could not care for a loose two 1/2 year old.

I am sure they will have fun. We have gone without plans and with plans. It is easier to swing it with loose plans with challanged children or adults. The day is not near as full as those without special needs. Seems half the time is attending to needs of one or the person in the party.

Melt downs are the worse and when it is walking milees and everyone wanting seperate things, Valium may be the best plan...for your friend. Just joking.
I had the worse time with my Adult son 33 yrs old and a pituatary tumor that affected harmones. Man, it was a trip! :scared1:
He was actually nastier mood and all over then the two 1/2 year old was. :lmao:
lol now but then it was stressful. I had to keep telling dil, please just give him space, don;t take it personal, it will be calm in a few minutes without everyone challanging his statements or actions.

Like wanting grandma to sit with a stroller while they go off, but don;t go anywhere or do anything with the toddler, just sit so he doesn;t fret :confused3

So the best plan, is one on de-escalating, I finally took the baby pacifier and handed it to him to put him on notice he was hormonal in request or actions...

Maybe if she had talking toys or books at home he will entertain and settle if growing stimulation is a problem.
If not a Mickey icecream calms the biggest of us.

Hello there! I'm afraid I've not read all of the replies, so sorry if I repeat anything. I'll throw in what I can, and your friend can take whatever may be helpful to her.

Firstly, I think a gentle touring pace might be best for them. If she tries to get to the parks at rope drop each morning (if that's practical for her kids), they tour until late morning, then head back to the hotel for down time, it should put less stress on her boys. The rest in the afternoon will allow them to calm down a bit, and hopefully stop them getting over stimulated. A swim could also be good to get out some of their energy; possibly even a swim before they go to the parks, then another in the afternoon when they return.

As you've already found, the GAC doesn't cut out waiting times, but it can sometimes provide an alternative waiting area, with fewer people and less stimulation. Another thing the GAC could do is allow the younger boy to take a stroller into lines with him (using the 'stroller as wheelchair' stamp). This would give him a safe, enclosed space; put a bit of distance between him and the other people in line; and keep him from bolting, or dashing ahead of other people in line. Also, she could take some form of entertainment in the stroller for him, such as a hand-held computer game; an MP3 player with stories or music on; or a selection of toys. This would hopefully extend the length of time he can bear to wait. Also, Fastpass is a great system!

Her older son with SIDs, might be happier if some of the stimuli were reduced. Wearing earplugs or ear-defenders can help to cut out some of the crowd noises, and sudden sounds (such as fireworks or explosions in shows), whilst sunglasses can help to tone down the light intensity a bit. Does he know when he's starting to get over-come, or does it hit him suddenly? If he can give warning of his over-loads, preventative measures can be taken to stop problems before they start. Just ducking out of the main stream of people for a while and sitting on a bench in the shade might be enough for him. An MP3 player with his favourite music could also help to block out some of the stims. If a ride has over-loading visuals, such as It's a Small World, he should know that he can close his eyes and block it out.

It will be extra-important to keep both boys cool, in the Florida heat. Any kid will get ratty if they're over-heating, and if they have additional challenges, it will just make matters worse. Portable, battery powered fans; regular breaks in the air-con; the odd dowsing with a damp washcloth; and plenty of cool drinks will all help to keep them more comfortable. However do be aware that, because of Florida's humidity, their clothes won't dry very quickly if they get wet. They should try to keep wetter rides (such as Khali River Rapids) and playing in fountains until just before they leave the park, so the boys can go straight back to the hotel and dry off (the seats at the very back of the bus are lovely and cosy, because they're over the engine :laughing:).

She needs to try and keep her plans fairly flexible, whilst at the same time maintaining some sort of routine (yes, I know that sounds like a contradiction, but hear me out!). If she decides to go with the afternoon break at the hotel, she'll need to be very firm about it. I've heard from others here that they allowed their kids to go on a few more rides, past the time when they planned to head back, and they just got over-tired and crotchety (also, they knew they could have one more ride, so why not two more? etc). However, she should be willing to split the group up, or change plans if necessary. If, for instance, her younger boy needs to go back to the hotel early, but the older son is still enjoying playing, carrying on or going back as a whole group could lead to a melt down from one or other; if the group could be split up, someone could go back with her younger boy, whilst the rest carried on with the older.

Tell her to carry snacks: a hungry kid, is a grumpy kid!

Can't think of anything else right now, but hopefully this will help a bit. I hope they all have a wonderful trip! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter