I need purchasing advice for printer

soar2014

Looking at sanity in the rear view mirror
Where should I buy a printer? I have a laptop and will probably end up replacing it in about a year or two, I need a printer and don't know the best route to look for one. I only print things like color google maps receipts, boarding passes, etc. nothing work related. How do you buy a printer that will eventually work with another laptop you buy in the future?

I have had several printers over the years and I prefer HP's. I have an HP all-in-one now--printer, copier, scanner, fax. It is wi-fi capable so I can print from my laptop without having to connect. I can technically print remotely via a email address but I rarely use that. It might be more than you need but it sure is handy to make prints, scan documents to my computer, etc. I got it at Office Max I think. It was in the $80 range on sale and with my company discount card.

HP....and I don't do wireless, since it's so unreliable. Plug it in, print away. More expensive doesn't mean better. I recently purchased the HP 4630 and it's perfect.(does have wireless, I just don't use it) $99.00 and ink that doesn't require a loan to purchase.

HP....and I don't do wireless, since it's so unreliable. Plug it in, print away. More expensive doesn't mean better. I recently purchased the HP 4630 and it's perfect.(does have wireless, I just don't use it) $99.00 and ink that doesn't require a loan to purchase.

I've had issues off and on over the years with wireless, but my current HP, 8600 I think, has been very reliable.

I would simply go to an office supply store, like Staples, and tell them what you just told us. You need a basic color printer. You can get something like that very easily, and most of them will work with any computer you eventually bring home. And if you have to replace a $99 printer every couple of years, you are still going to do ok financially.

The question is, are there other things you might want to do with a printer? We have a 7 yr old Brother laser printer-copier-fax-scanner that is still going great guns. We have hooked up multiple laptops, desktops and an all-in-one with no problems. It's wireless, and we have even sent things from the phone and tablets. I use the copy function a lot, and we also have scanned old pictures, bulletins, etc. About the only thing I never set up was the fax machine, and I've managed to work around that by scanning and emailing just about everything we need to send off. We paid quite a bit for it, but 7 years ago, this was still a newish thing. They are cheaper now, so that might be a good option for you. The purchase price of $400 then has averaged out to less than $70 per year and falling. I change the toner about twice a year, to the tune of $50 per time. I have changed the drum once in 7 years. For us, that has worked our exceptionally well.

Now I just need to get a color printer, and I'll buy a cheap one, as my old one is handling all my other needs quite well.

We do wireless whenever possible in this house. HP has a service where they monitor the ink levels and send new toner when it gets low. For us it's great - bunch of kids using the printer for school.

We went with a Brother after years of HP just because the ink is so much cheaper with Brother.
Haven't had an issue with it being wireless yet.

Our HP is more of a commercial unit. We have our own business and print probably 100 times a day. It has worked great for about 4 years now. Before that we had Canons that lasted maybe 1 year. The last Canon that we had gave you a low ink warning with a choice of "Quit" or "Buy More". You were dead in the water when the ink got low. That piece of junk went back in the box and back to Amazon.

I have had a few and prefer HP. My son and daughter got cheaper Epson printers for school and they haven't held up well at all.

I bought mine at Costco and it's very good, but probably way more than you need.

Just go out and buy a basic HP printer with not a lot of bells and whistles. Oh, and the wireless on mine works perfectly. Haven't had an issue in 2 years with this printer. I think the earlier wireless models did have a problem. And if you don't consistently update your HP software (HP pings you to do this) you will have issues. The printer will work with a newer laptop in a few years. Now, if you wait 8 years, you might have a problem.

For the really basic printing needs you describe, you can get a good inkjet printer for 60-80 bucks if you watch for sales. BestBuy, Amazon, Staples, OfficeDepot.

I wouldn't worry about what happens when you replace your laptop. It's likely that a basic printer by one of the major manufacturers will still be supported in a year or two, but there's no way to guarantee it. And there are often deals to get a printer at a discount or free when you buy a laptop. For instance, BestBuy has a deal going now where you get $30-$50 off a printer when you buy a computer.

We have a wireless Epson all in one (scanner, printer, fax- although we don't use the fax). I love it. Two trays, fast printing, ink seems to last a while.

Got it a couple years ago for <$100 IIRC. I disagree with the PP who said "just go into a store and buy one". I think you should do some research and see what has good reviews. Is print speed important to you? What about printing directly from an SD (or other) card or a USB stick?

The cheap printers are cheap for a reason... they know they'll get you in ink. You might want to look at what ink refills cost.

Tired of throwing HP printers away so I went with an EPSON. It's an 8500 or something like that.

Does a great job. Anymore, the life of an inkjet is just a few years if you use it regularly sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new printer than ink!

For small use I wouldn't spend more than $100 - $150.

I have an Epson wireless all-in-one with an automatic document feeder (WF-3520). I don't use the fax, but the copy and scan functions have definitely come in handy. I also like having wireless more than I thought I would and have had only very few connectivity issues. The automatic document feeder is one of those things where you might not use it that often, but when you need it, you're really glad it's there. I wouldn't have gone with print-only capability just to save some money, especially when all-in-ones can be pretty reasonable. I think mine was around $130.

If you go to some of the tech websites like cnet, you can match up your needs and price point with their recommendations. I wouldn't just walk into a store and pick one - a) there are limited options, and b) I like to read reviews first. Amazon is a goldmine for that, even if you end up buying one elsewhere.

You shouldn't have a compatibility issue with buying a new laptop in a year or two.

If you simply need to print and can do without color, there are some excellent multi-function machines out there that won't break the bank. I've had hit or miss results with aftermarket remanufactured toner cartridges. However, none have damaged the printing mechanism. My only issue with mine is that the feeder does seem to skew a little bit - maybe 2 degrees.

I don't like home inkjets. They have merely adequate print quality and if you don't use them the ink dries out. The low initial price is a marketing tool to eventually make big profits off of print cartridges.

I really wouldn't worry about compatibility with any of the major makers. They'll all have updated print drivers for the latest operating systems. All print drivers are made for the operating system and not the particular computer. Of course you need to know enough to install a print driver, and some people just can't figure it out.

I am a big fan of Canon printers. I have 2 of them. The customer support I get from Canon is far above any other manufacturer I have dealt with.

I use to have HP printers until I tried a Canon. I will never go back to HP!

What convinced me of Canon's superiority over HP? If you drip water drops on a photo printed on an HP printer, the dyes run, ruining the picture. That will not happen on the photo printed on a Canon printer!

TC :cool1:

I've had issues off and on over the years with wireless, but my current HP, 8600 I think, has been very reliable.
We have two 8600's in the offices I manage and they have been a nightmare. I hate printers, LOL!

And I agree, Canon customer support is awesome! We have Canon laser printers that are workhorses.

Wireless Epson that we've had for a couple of years. No problem. I think DH got it at either Best Buy or Staples.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter