I need new Pans--bad

Ceramic coated are great!

Non-stick pans are garbage. They have lots of chemicals on them, and they require constant replacement. They aren't meant to last long at all.

We have ceramic pans which are costly, but they last and evenly cook. Very easy to clean too!

Tiger
ok, so help me make sure i understand this correctly.....the black non-stick pans (like t-fal) are teflon coated, which is bad as it breaks down, peels, scratches, etc.
ceramic is still non stick, right? but no teflon. is it safe? and are they REALLY non stick? i absolutely HATE pans that aren't!
as far as cost goes, are they really that expensive? i saw a 10 or 12 piece set at wal-mart for around $100. i'm sure these aren't top of the line, but i wonder if they'd be ok?

MizTink said:
ok, so help me make sure i understand this correctly.....the black non-stick pans (like t-fal) are teflon coated, which is bad as it breaks down, peels, scratches, etc.
ceramic is still non stick, right? but no teflon. is it safe? and are they REALLY non stick? i absolutely HATE pans that aren't!
as far as cost goes, are they really that expensive? i saw a 10 or 12 piece set at wal-mart for around $100. i'm sure these aren't top of the line, but i wonder if they'd be ok?

Yup, the ceramic are not Teflon coated at all. If you properly take care of them: don't burn foods, hand wash, no metal utensils and use oil spray for cooking, they will last.

I have no idea about Walmart, as I don't shop there. Our pans are approx $100.00 a pan, but do go on sale. We have Paderno (Canadian company) and Henckels brands. I am Canadian though, so prob cheaper in states.

Good luck, Tiger

LOL, $100/pan is a bit more than the $100/set i saw at walmart!!! :rotfl:
i figure they are a cheap version of something nice...i think i'll shop around for some better, but ceramic, pans once i am ready to buy.
i like to buy seperate pieces instead of a standard set because i have 8 people to cook for every day. i need nice big pots and big deep skillets!!! those little things rarely get used here ;)

MizTink said:
LOL, $100/pan is a bit more than the $100/set i saw at walmart!!! :rotfl:
i figure they are a cheap version of something nice...i think i'll shop around for some better, but ceramic, pans once i am ready to buy.
i like to buy seperate pieces instead of a standard set because i have 8 people to cook for every day. i need nice big pots and big deep skillets!!! those little things rarely get used here ;)

Yes, we do all of our own cooking, so we have several sets of Lagostina pots, and then we supplement with single pans in various sizes. Our pans are costly, but they last and also have warranties on them too.

Good luck with your pan shopping as there are lots of choices available!

Tiger

This Christmas we received a set of Analon hard anodized pots and pans. They are a very a pretty bronze color. We actually picked them out ourselves. In December Macys had a wondeful sale that included 2 bonus pieces. It seems whenever I have looked at pans, the holidays always seemed to have great sales like that.

We have been using them for about a month now and I love them. So easy to clean and they cook very nicely. I also like that they are not as heavy as some pan sets. I hate using the extremely heavy ones, even if they are supposed to cook the best....just makes me tired.

I got my Paula Deen robins egg blue set 2 years ago on Black Friday at Walmart for $89. They are still like new and the bakewear that came with the set is the best I've ever had. I don't ever put pans in the dishwasher. Any marks I've gotten on the bottom of the pans comes right off with a magic eraser.

I love my Le Creuset cookware. It cooks so evenly and clean-up is super easy. However being enameled cast iron they are heavy and not dishwasher safe.

Says who? Not Le Creuset...
Dishwasher use

All pans with integral cast iron, phenolic handles or stainless steel knobs can be washed in the dishwasher. However, constant dishwashing may lead to some dulling of the enamel finish. This is not harmful and will not impair performance.

I wish I could find some at the thrift shop, but can't so I went ahead and got the pretty blue Paula Deen ones from Amazon. A good thrift shop story, though, my DIL bought plates and salad plates, setting for 10, Wedgwood China for $30 and sold them on Ebay for $400. She has a very good eye and makes enough in a week that since her husband (my son) has excellent insurance, she doesn't have to work out of the home and gets to be a stay at home mom. The ebay business only takes her usually 4-5 hours a day and she makes as much as she did when she worked at her stressful job at the dentist's office.

I second tramontina from walmart. We paid a little over $100 and they are the best ever! Can't believe the price for how well they have held up. I looked and looked for over a year. Love them!

My favorite pots and pans are my copper bottom Revereware. I like them, though they are not nonstick. I have cast iron skillets and a T-Fal non stick skillet I use instead of the skillet that came with my set. My set is 11 years old and still looks good and works well.

I won't touch non stick.

I will not buy anything I cannot toss in the dishwasher.

I like le creuset but they are super heavy and at one point I sold off a few that were not used much. I mostly only use a couple of their dutch ovens now. I have been tossing them in the dishwasher for 15+ years and no issues. I also bought all mine at outlets. I will not pay full price.

I have two revereware with copper bottoms from 25 years ago I still use. I like it but our stove needs flat bottomed pans. So I use them less then other pans.

Picked up a calphalon pot at goodwill for $5 last year. Probably my favorite pan of the bunch. Not too heavy, flat bottom and cooks very evenly.

Have 1 all-clad frying pan. Its the size of a wok. Got a super cheap deal on it because it was so huge. We use it a lot. Total pain to pick up and put down because it is so big. Cooks very well. All clad seems to be the showy brand of the year. Seems way overpriced.

DH wanted a new pan but I didnt think we needed one so he waited until I went out of town and got a T-fal at Walmart cheap. :goodvibes This is the best pan we have ever had! Nothing sticks to it, its a good weight and super easy to clean. The only problem was it didnt have a lid and is a little bigger than my old pan so the lid doesnt fit. I tend to look for higher end cookwear but if I were looking for a set I probably would get a set of these.

My favorite pots and pans are my copper bottom Revereware. I like them, though they are not nonstick. I have cast iron skillets and a T-Fal non stick skillet I use instead of the skillet that came with my set. My set is 11 years old and still looks good and works well.

I got Revere Wear as as wedding gift 32 years ago. I gave them to my DS when I bought my Calphalon. He still uses them, but I much, much prefer my Calphalon. Hands down, much easier to cook with and clean.

I have two anodized pans. One's a stock pot from Calphalon and the other is an All-Clad LTD 14" skillet. I love the skillet but my bf has messed it from using the burner too high. If anything gets burned on I just use salt to scrub it clean without messing up the pot.

I have to be more careful with the non stick over the stainless. At least with the stainless, i can grab a steel wool or bar keepers to keep it clean and shiny. Although a new favorite is a two piece cast iron. The one thing my bf can't destroy. It's a three quart pot with a lid that turns into a skillet.

I love having everything match but I'm really enjoying having a mix match set of pots to do different things. Although the skillets get used for cooking nearly everything. I have about 5 in different sizes and design.

Just did some research on pots and pans for my future DDIL's wedding shower. I ended up with a set from Circulon due to the great ratings people gave it - non-stick and some sets are dishwasher safe as well as oven safe to 400 degrees. I stayed clear of the Emeril sets due to all the reports I read of the glass lids shattering so easily.

Says who? Not Le Creuset...

Okay, maybe not dishwasher "safe" was the wrong word. They can dull in appearance if washed in the dishwasher (even according to Le Creuset). Since I consider my pots, pans and dutch ovens an investment, I'm not willing to chance ruining their appearance. I bought them for their performance and for their looks :)

Looking for a new pan set here too! Trying to find a set under $100 that does not have Teflon.

I am in need of a new cookware set, as well. I am going to go high end this time. I have learned that I detest non-stick anything. They scratch and damage easily, from my experience. I am looking at a Le Creuset cookware set, and some cast iron frying pans. Pricey, I know, but I would rather have them for the long haul, rather than having to buy sets, replace pieces, etc.

If you are avoiding non stick, I can't praise Farberware enough. I am still using the ones I got as wedding presents 35 years ago, and they are great, I have added more pieces in over the years (8, 12 and 16 qt) and have found fantastic deals on individual pieces on Amazon. My mom has some revereware and farberware that must be 50 years old, and still looks great. The only I don't use is the skillets, I only use cast iron seasoned skillets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter