I need ideas on how to do this

luv4mouse

Earning My Ears
THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR DONATIONS!!!

My daughter's best friend is 22 years old and dying from stage 4 breast cancer. It has spread to her liver, 6th rib, tail bone, and spine. Her final wish is to see the castle at Walt Disney World. We would like to make this come true for her, but don't know where to begin since she is not a child that many charities make wishes for. I contacted Dream Foundation, but have not heard back from them yet.
I am a disney vacation club owner and am providing the room for her trip, but flight, tickets and other cost still need to be covered. Does anyone know if there are legal ways for us to raise the funds ourself if we cannot get help from an organization? If we can does anyone have any ideas on what we can do?
My daughter is in a small technical college and her classmates have said that if she brings in things that I bake they will buy them and all the money can go to the girl. I am really good at crafting things too and was trying to think of things that are cheap to make, but that people would actually want to buy. But I have to keep in mind that I need to be able to make and sell them quickly as she doesn't have much time. All ideas are greatly appreciated. As are prayers for the woman.

I know it looks like I'm a new member, but I forgot my password for my old account and never updated my email to be able to retrieve it. I was fun2bmomof4

Try Go Fund Me. Google it. You make a page, share it on facebook and other social media, and people donate a little at a time.

Try Give Kids the World. We are volunteering there in August and it seems like such a great place.

I will say prayers for the young lady.

There are a few wish granting organizations for adults, including at least one specific to cancer. I cant remember what they're called but try Googling wish granting organizations. Second *************

Thanks for the website. I also found one called fundly that too looks like something we can use.

That Give Kids the World looks like a great organization. As she is over 18 it won't help us. But I think I will check more into volunteering there. Especially as we will be relocating to somewhere in florida for dh's work sometime in the next year. His company hasn't given us all the details of where and when just yet.

Thank you both so much.

Contact her hospitals social worker, part of their job is know information like this.

Found this list on cancer.net:

Wish fulfillment organizations for adults

Compassion Partners. This Disney program provides children and adults free passes to several theme parks in Florida, including Disney theme parks, Sea World, Universal Studios Orlando, and Busch Gardens. Passes are available by calling 407-396-6065 or 407-828-2298.

Deliver the Dream. This organization provides families living with an advanced illness whether the illness involves a child or a parent €”the chance to relax, enjoy time together, and forge bonds with others during a three-day retreat. Health care providers or one of Deliver the Dream's partnering organizations are responsible for recruiting the family for participation.

Dream Foundation. The Dream Foundation fulfills the wishes of adults suffering from advanced illnesses. The foundation seeks to help adults find peace and closure with the realization of a final wish. Dream Foundation grants requests to adults older than 18 years old whose life expectancy, confirmed by their physicians, is one year or less. They must also confirm that they have limited resources.

Granted Wish Foundation. The Granted Wish Foundation fulfills wishes for “disabled, disadvantaged, and deserving individuals and families” and works with people of all ages. In addition, the foundation has a special program that provides luxury air transportation for children with advanced illness and their families to travel to receive life-saving treatment.

Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation. Making Memories grants wishes for patients with metastatic breast cancer, while raising awareness about the disease. People with advanced breast cancer or their friends and family members can submit wish requests.

Never Too Late. This organization helps make wishes and dreams come true for people age 65 and older with advanced illness, aiming to honor the lives they have lived. The organization requests some financial support from family members to fulfill wish requests.

Reeling and Healing Midwest. Reeling and Healing Midwest offers fly-fishing wellness retreats for men and women with cancer. The organization seeks to help renew participants' spirits and hopes through fly-fishing, nature, peer coaching, and peer bonding. People older than age18 are eligible to apply and are responsible for paying a registration fee and a daily fee.

Second Wind Dreams. This international fulfillment organization works to enhance the life of those living in elder care communities €”such as nursing, assisted living, and hospice facilities†by granting wishes. The organization grants relationship-based dreams, needs-based dreams, lifelong dreams, and “I don't want to grow up” dreams, among others.

United Special Sportsman Alliance. This wish-granting organization specializes in providing children and adults with disabilities or advanced illness an outdoor adventure of their dreams. Trips include hunting, fishing, water sports, and other activities.

The Warrior's Wish Foundation. This charity grants wishes for U.S. military veterans with advanced illness and their families. Gifts range from hearing aids and scooter chairs to family vacations and trips to attend reunions. The application requires a current photograph, a description of the wish, and an explanation of why it's meaningful.

It's completely legal to fund raise to send her to WDW. These sorts of fundraisers happen all the time. Go Fund Me is the most popular online donation site I know of for fundraising for a single person/family (rather than a product). There are others.

What I don't know is how taxes work on the fundraising. It may be possible to put it in a trust that reduces the amount of taxes paid (otherwise it would probably count as income for tax purposes or in relation to any income-based benefits she may receive). Someone involved should probably need to contact an accountant and possibly a banker to get that part figured out. I don't know if Go Fund Me has any of that information in their documentation (anything it'd has would only have national information, anyway).

I hope it all works out so that she can go!

She will not be taxed unless one individual gives more than $14,000..that is the max you can get as a gift without taxes.

Thank you all for the wonderful information. I am definitely going to put all of it to use.

Bless you, OP, for providing the room and working to help her. May your efforts be successful. Will have her in my prayers.

You got a lot of good advice already.
The young lady's Social Worker would not be able to talk to you without the patient's permission. But the SW should be a good source of information about ways yo do this.

I'd suggest checking out the organizations listed by another poster. Some organizations are very good, but there are some that collect a lot of money and use a fairly small proportion for services. You don't want to get involved with one that is not going to really help.

I also want to respond to 2 things in your original post:
My daughter is in a small technical college and her classmates have said that if she brings in things that I bake they will buy them and all the money can go to the girl.
Check with the college before you do this.
They probably have rules around fund raisers and you want to make sure you know what they are and can follow them before you make too many plsns.

There may also be specific food safety rules regarding making food for a bake sale, or actually prohibiting selling home-made foods.
If you have to buy ready made items, you will need to make a much larger 'investment' in products than the cost of the ingredients. Be sure to factor in the costs or you may end up making very little.
I am really good at crafting things too and was trying to think of things that are cheap to make, but that people would actually want to buy. But I have to keep in mind that I need to be able to make and sell them quickly as she doesn't have much time.
I woulds suggest forgettîng about this for the reasons you mentioned, plus you would have to put out money for the material upfront and would have no guarantee they would sell.
If you decide to do it (maybe together with a bake sale) maybe a group of her friends can get together for a craft day and make the items under your direction. Ask them for suggestions of what they think would sell. If the friend also goes to the college, chances are people would know her and buy things just for that reason.
Keep in mind that you want to sell to males and females and will need to sell a large number to raise any significant amount of money.

Good luck in :goodvibes

Would your church or the young ladies church pass the hat one Sunday morning?
Best of luck to you in this mission!

I just wanted to say we got things underway.

I have an appointment next week to talk to the manager of AppleBees about a pancake breakfast benefit.
Our apartment complex is going to see if they can allow us to use the clubhouse for free to hold a spaghetti dinner . Some of my neighbors will check with their churches to use their facilities free or cheap. (our church doesn't have a large enough facility).

My other daughter's dance team is willing to do a car wash.

I have my cottage food license (I used to do cake decorating from my home) so it's legal for me to sell baked goods from my kitchen. I have a bunch of packaging and such.

I love the idea of having all the girls' friends help make things to sell along at the bake sale and other events.
I'm thinking simple with materials that I already have. (tons of ribbon and jewelry findings/ charms) key rings, lanyards, hair accessories, (I have manly materials for guys) I don't know what else to appeal to the men/boys that might be there. Hunting is huge, so I'm thinking of designing a camouflage design that says" hunting for a Cause "in green for guys/ pink for girls. My son works for a screen printing factory and they sell plain t's to their employees for $1.50 each and we can heat press them on site or ahead of time. Or is that maybe trying to do too much?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter