I need help"

barefootMom

Mouseketeer
Hi - I am a WDW junkie and yet never have been to Disneyland. I just found out I "need" to accompany my husband to a company event on Wed, Nov 19 out there and we are only staying for 2 days (the 18th and 19th but the event is in the evening of the 19th at California Adventure). Sooooo, I need a crash course in how to see as much as I can in what will end up being half day on the 18th (flying in from MAine) and then most of the day on the 19th leading up to the company event.
I have always wanted to see Disney Christmas decorations which is the only reason I am going to go and just wondering if anyone has any advice in how to best use our time? No kids this trip. Not big thrill seekers, more interested in traditional "Disney stuff" and comparing some rides that are also at WDW.

Does fastpass work the same here as at WDW? D you book ahead here too?
Any restaurants in the park we need to hit or should we just do counter service in the park with such limited time?
I am thinking I am more interested in Disneyland than California Adventure but maybe not?

Any help would be appreciated!

Is the event at the park private, i.e., they only let people participating in the event into the park? If so, do you know how many people are supposed to be attending?

I would recommend getting a TouringPlans membership and making custom Touring Plans in order to get the most out of your visit. Although you have limited time, you should still take time to explore. Just darting from ride to ride doesn't let you appreciate the atmosphere that makes Disneyland so special. Disneyland still has the old Fastpass system (luckily), so there are no Magic Bands, and no MyMagic+. I would definitely recommend sticking to counter service restaurants if you're only there for a short time. Disneyland counter service has improved tremendously. The general consensus among fans is that Hungry Bear, Bengal Barbecue, Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe, Plaza Inn, Flo's V8 Cafe, and Paradise Garden Grill all have amazing food. As far as attractions, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Disneyland Railroad, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, Fantasmic, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan's Flight, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, It's Tough to be a Bug, and Ariel's Undersea Adventure are all better in Disneyland. The only ones that are better in Florida are Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Astro Orbiter, and Haunted Mansion.

Thanks for the quick responses!
To answer your question, the "event" is happening at California Adventure and is for about 800 people - so just some area roped off or something from 6-9.

I am wondering if we do Disneyland other than this company event at California? Or does California Adventure still warrant more time than just an evening even if we are not big ride people? (We like rides like POTC, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan but do not care for the coasters when our kids are not with us, care more about walking around, snacking, people watching and soaking in the magic if that helps tell me what to do?)

We will be there that same week! If you have two days to spend, then one day at each park would be fine. On your partial day, it might be wise to head over to DL to hit some of the attractions there that are different or don't exist at MK. You'll be able to catch the Christmas fireworks that night as well. Then the next day, hit DCA so that you can get right into Cars Land and experience this new park all day. If you try DCA on the day you arrive, you'll miss out on the FPs for Radiator Spring Racers and have to wait 75+ minutes. And you'll love heading over to Soarin' and finding lines no longer than 30 minutes.

BTW, FP at DL is the old style where you get tickets instead of ordering rides ahead of time.

Thank you again!

Does anyone happen to know the park hours for nov. 18/19 and if there are extra magic hours? We are staying offsite so can't use that I gather? Are fireworks every night?

Since DL is so much like Magic Kingdom with a couple of rides from other WDW parks (Star Tours, Captain EO), I agree to do DL on the partial day. Focus on doing your faves, but first these: Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Nemo Submarines. You also will want to do Space there as it's much better. They also have a Mickey and the Map show that's fun and I think they don't have at Magic Kingdom. If you miss Toontown, they still have it at DL.
On the full day, start at rope drop with a trip to the Radiator Springs Racers(if you aren't in the first pack to get in, then get a Fastpass), then do Soarin if you want to and TSMM if interested. The ToT is much better at WDW, so don't bother there. But the Aladdin show is great so don't miss that. Also, Monsters Inc. is a kiddie ride they don't have at WDW, but is just like Roger Rabbit if you remember that from Toontown.
Have fun!
Oh and go to https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ for the park hours.

Thank you again!

Does anyone happen to know the park hours for nov. 18/19 and if there are extra magic hours? We are staying offsite so can't use that I gather? Are fireworks every night?

Check the DLR calendar for hours

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendars/month/2014-11-01/

There are always EMH every day. Check the schedule.

Fireworks typically every night during holiday season.

This link may help: "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

I'd also recommend doing Haunted Mansion during your visit too since it will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay.

Do NOT miss Haunted Mansion Holiday !!
Do single rider for RSR , (Indy (also a big, giant "MUST DO"), Splash, and several others....
All in all....relax, take your time, get park hoppers and enjoy yourselves. Plenty of ambiance to soak in!!

Thank you again! Does anyone happen to know the park hours for nov. 18/19 and if there are extra magic hours? We are staying offsite so can't use that I gather? Are fireworks every night?

Both parks are open 10am to 8pm on each day. Disneyland has MM/EMH on Tuesday. DCA has EMH (for hotel guests only) on Wednesday. Do you know if the event will be held after hours? We had a private event at DCA years ago, it was pretty much limited to Paradise Pier.

I agree with some of the other ride comparisons except for:
Haunted Mansion - Ours now has the holiday version, which is really cool.
ITTBAB is exactly the same as AK, except there's no tree of life. A Bug's Land is cool to walk through.
Jungle Cruise is actually better at MK because of the tunnel.
Pooh has a nice short line and is across from Splash Mtn, making it a better themed area.
It's A Small World and POTC simply blow away their MK counterparts. Especially IASW's holiday overlay.
I just rode the Nemo Subs last week, and wasn't impressed.
Don't miss Alice in Wonderland. It's a classic, and recently underwent a nice refurb.
RSR is a no brainer. It's by far the best attraction at DCA. Carsland is pretty amazing.
Another don't miss is the Aladdin show at DCA.

Have fun!

Getting so excited to experience DL now and had not even thought about getting park hopper even though I always do at WDW

For a short trip, the "Single Rider" line option will be your friend.

I love the SR option. It can save so much time.

Have a nice trip

Geemo

Getting so excited to experience DL now and had not even thought about getting park hopper even though I always do at WDW

I'd get hoppers for sure if you can manage it. It is so easy to hop between the parks. I would want to spend most of my time at DL so I would spend the partial day at Disneyland and then start off the next morning at CA. I would do Carsland and any other must dos (I am not a big ride person so I don't have many must dos at CA) and hop back over DL until it is time for your event.

Enjoy your trip!

You have to get a hopper. The parks are a one minute walk across from each other. Fast passes are nothing like WDW. You don't schedule anything. You can have fast passes for DL and DCA during the same time period because the systems are not connected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter