• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I Need Help Bad - Would You????

Blinker1

Earning My Ears
We'll be at USF and IOA the first week of June. My question is this....

We are staying off site near Disney. The hotel is already booked and paid for. Would you book one night at HRH and leave the off site hotel empty for one night to gain the FOTL?

We really have no problems about getting up and to the parks early. We would probably do that onsite anyway. I am just a little worried about the crowds.

This vacation was a spur of the moment thing so the budget isn't really there for the HRH, but I could make it work if I have to.

I'm also booked off site that week. I wonder how busy the parks will really be. Like this past weekend, we were there friday until Monday. The weekend you really needed Express, but on Monday there really weren't many lines. Now, most Florida kids will be out of school but I don't think many northerners are out. Has anyone else been on this week?

I was at WDW and UO last year on the last week of May. Other than Memorial Day Sunday and Monday, the rest wasn't bad at all. The big surprise was when we were checking out, we were offered a big discount by WDW to stay additional nights in their hotel. When I asked the desk about this, they said they had alot of availability for the whole week (first week of June).
Hope you have the same this year.

I have been thinking of doing EXACTLY the same thing!!!

We are booked offsite in Kissimmee. To be honest, I impulsed on this trip and booked offsite before I knew anything about the perks at Universal. After reading the posts on this board for the last couple of months, I really thing a room at HRH would be worth it.

We have two days planned for Universal. One for USF and one for IOA. I think we would still be at the parks at opening but it would definitely be nice to know you don't have to rush-rush to get to the next attraction trying to beat the crowds.

We are going to do USF on a Sunday and IOA on Monday. I am leaning towards booking HRH that Sunday night and just leaving our $50.00 offsite room vacant that night. I am thinking it would be worth it.

I know my 14 year old son would LOVE it!

Does anyone know how early you can check in to the HRH? If you get there early in the morning before check-in, can you store your luggage and get a FOTL pass and hit the parks until check-in time?

What the hell, it's a vacation!

Blinker1 - to answer your question, I would probably leave an offsite room empty for one night for FOTL. I have no idea how busy it is in JUne, but on our next trip down I'm planning to probably do priceline for our entire stay and the "double book" HRH hotel for one night. Then check in early in the morning and have two fulldays of FOTL. Should be bale to cover everything that way.

My nephew did just what you are considering when he was there over Thanksgiving. He said it was the best money he ever spent.

treasuredude,
You can check in early. If no room is available they give you a key to use as your express access and will store any luggage for you.

Front of line would be well worth leaving your room empty for a night. Or, is there away you can extend your trip at the begining or end

Ok. I just did it. I called and booked a room at HRH. We will leave our $50 a night Holiday Inn room empty for a night. I was going to surprise my son but I couldn't stand it. I told him and now he's even more excited about going.

Originally posted by treasuredude
Ok. I just did it. I called and booked a room at HRH. We will leave our $50 a night Holiday Inn room empty for a night. I was going to surprise my son but I couldn't stand it. I told him and now he's even more excited about going.

What rate did you get??? Hey, we should have all pitched in and split a room! LOL

Oh, I'm sure I didn't do well. I checked the websites and knew what the standard room prices were. I called and was quoted $199. I asked if there were any discounts or anything going on. She checked, said no, and I booked the room anyway.

For anyone wondering I asked about the FOTL. You can be at the hotel as early as 7:00. They may have a room available, in which case you check in like normal. If no room is available, they give you an unactivated room key to use for FOTL. You can use this key for both your check in day and your check out day.

I know I didn't get the best rate. I'm going to try and forget about that fact and start thinking about the fun I'll have staying at HRH.

Treasuredude,
What you're basically saying then is that you think 2 days of FOTL access is worth $200? I'm still torn with the decision.

treasuredude,
Did you ask specifically if the Entertainment Rate or Fan Club rate were available for the time you want?

No, I didn't ask for those discounts specifically. I don't have either card. I just asked if any discounts were available. I booked it for June 2. I thought that close to the date it might be a long shot for a discount anyway.

Blinker1 - yes, I do think FOTL is worth $200. It will be just me and my 14 year old son. That breaks down to $50 a day each for Express. Plus we spend a night in a really cool hotel.

treasuredude,
It's easy enough to get the Entertainment Card if the rate is available. Just go to their website www.entertainment.com
The HRH entertainment rate for a garden view room is $125.

Although the Entertainment Rate CAN be as low as $125 per night, good luck trying to get a weekend night. The best I could do is a AAA Rate of $169.
HAVE FUN

I can say from off site experience that it is definitely worth the money for all day Express Access. I was at IOA and the Studios right after Easter. Yes, I know this is a bad time to go. I got there at opening and Hulk, Spiderman, and Doom were walkons. As I walked back to DD, I noticed the crowds starting to swell. I rode both DD with about a 30 minute wait at each. I was nervous as it was still relatively early and the crowds were already thickening. When I got back to Marvel Island, waits for Spiderman were 90 minutes. This was before noon! I had come a long way to be there so I had no real choice but to tough it out. Standing in the heat, I watched hotel guest after hotel guest wander right onto the rides. I actually heard someone say, "Let's go ride Spiderman again while Mom and your sister go to the bathroom."!!!!! I made a vow to myself then and there. If I ever go back to Orlando/Universal again, I will stay onsite. During peak times, I will go out on a limb and say that it is very difficult to enjoy the parks unless you have FOTL. So yes, I think treasuredude is making the right decision.

We did basically the same thing. We are planning 2 1/2 days at US and IOA at the end of 4 days at WDW. We decided to bite the bullet and spend one night at HRH and have 2 days of FOTL. We are staying off site the last night as we are only planning on a morning at the park before heading back to SC.

Last year we went at Easter and used to Express pass and all the hints from this board. We were able to do everything with a minimum wait but there was a lot of planning involved.

If you are able to do much more with less of a headache why not? Especially when one nights stay gets you 2 full days of FOTL.

Originally posted by totchicken
I didn't know you could buy a book of express passes. When did this start?

who said that?

for those of you considering booking an onsite room for FOTL consider this:
in today's News-Press (our local paper here in Fort Myers) there is an ad for ON SITE including 2 park admission for 99 per person per night!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a fabulous rate, but the only catch is a 2 night minimum- still would be well worthwhile if you do not havean AP already

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter