I need flight advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

keltiesmom

Mouseketeer
This will be the first time my kids fly, we have 3, dd5, dd2 and ds1. We don't fly often and I just learned that you can pick your seats in advance. I went to pick out some seats and they are all picked except 4 for us all over the plane. I don't know how I'm going to instal Carseats for 2 kids, and take care of any fears they have when they are all on their own. I can't imagine anyone wants to be babysitting my kids either, so are the picked seats set in stone or can thei airlines make changes?

Call the airline. They won't put the kids without you. They might not be able to do anything until you check in at the airport. Also you may be split up 2 with one parent and one with the other.

I'm ok with being split up but at least one of us with the girls and then the other with ds. I was just reading that the Carseats can't be installed on the isle which is fine but I'm wondering if they will be ok to be side by side, window middle seats? This is why we drive. Lol

Call the airline. They won't put the kids without you. They might not be able to do anything until you check in at the airport. Also you may be split up 2 with one parent and one with the other.

Yes, talk to the airline. I have been moved on flights before because families had been split up. They make the change at the gate or at the counter, but you should still call to speak with someone I'd think.

Pre reserved seats are the way to go even if none are together. No, those seats are not set in stone, they can be changed. As pp said try calling to see if reservations can seat you together, sometimes they have access to seats the general public doesn't until day of departure.

Make sure to check in online 24 hours in advance. Seat options may open at this time where you can seat yourselves together. Finally, I recommend getting to the airport early. Most airlines hold a few rows under airport control for just this reason, to seat families together. However, if the flight is booked full or oversold, those seats can go quickly. Not sure when you fly, or how close or easy it is to get to your airport, but even stopping in to get seats and coming back later, if you can, would be an option. Most airlines in large airports won't check bags prior to 4 hours, but should be able to arrange seats. Smaller airports, just depends on staffing.

Hope that helps!

We are flying out of Seattle and staying in a nearby hotel, I did wonder if I should/could go the day before to check in. We may not have Internet access to check in online, we are in Canada and I haven't figured out what we are doing as far as cell phones go. We fly out around noon, I guess I could check in online before we leave Canada and maybe stop in on the way to the hotel.

We are flying out of Seattle and staying in a nearby hotel, I did wonder if I should/could go the day before to check in. We may not have Internet access to check in online, we are in Canada and I haven't figured out what we are doing as far as cell phones go. We fly out around noon, I guess I could check in online before we leave Canada and maybe stop in on the way to the hotel.

I'd call ASAP to see if they can do anything immediately. They may at least be able to put a note in the computer so they can handle it as people check in for their flights. Worst case is the flight attendants can ask people to rearrange once on the plane.

You can only check in at the airport for a flight the same day, not the day before. However, most hotels have a business office where you could at least use a computer to check in and print boarding passes.

We had our assigned seats, re-assigned some how. Instead of being grouped together. Our seats were all over coach and no two together.

We went to the airport 4 hours before the flight as we were told to do to correct the issue. Only to have them say it couldn't be done.

I asked the boarding person a few times if there were any changes available. They were tired of having me ask.

Right before boarding, they announce first class had not been sold out and there were seats open. I went up and told her we would take 6 of the seats and they needed to be grouped. Gave her my VISA and that's how we solved our problem.

I hope you have better service from the airline than we did.

Good Luck!

The thing is, they cannot sit children that young unsupervised. They will have to move you around somehow.

The thing is, they cannot sit children that young unsupervised. They will have to move you around somehow.

The two and one year olds, MAYBE. The 5 year old? Sure they can.

The transportation forum is a really good place to look for info on this. Listen, that forum does NOT dust itself with pixie dust; they will tell it like it is. But they will also give you good info. Go there, do a search.

It's REALLY too bad you didn't know to book seats earlier than this. Right now you're in the hands of the computer, and you're up against people who DID know to book their seats. Or at least to call the airline and link reservations, in case they were made separately. When you get there, it's the same situation. And when you get to the gate, same situation. When you get on board, you are in the hands of other people who have their own reasons to sit where they chose earlier.

I don't know what airline you're on, but if you go to the Transportation forum and *ask* what you can do, giving the info on airline, etc, you can learn the truth of what you can do.

I've never looked into it, but on a similar thread on that forum the other day, people who are more expert than I am with flying said that children at 5 can fly alone...so you really canNOT *expect* that they will 100% be sure to put the 5 year old with you. You should, however, be able to get solid info on what you *can* do.

With your flight being a noon departure, I'd still do online check in. I'd recommend going to the airport 2 hours in advance maybe a little more, to get thru security and know where you need to go. There are some great viewing areas for the kids to see planes taking off and landing, and some good places to eat.

My guess is that people on connecting flights inbound will check in at their local airports between 4am and 6am. I think you'll be fine talking to an agent at the airport, if needed, at 2-2 1/2 hours prior to departure. Try not to stress too much, because every effort to seat you together as soon as possible will be made.

I'm pretty sure 1-year olds can sit in your lap. Isn't it free if they do? That would make this a non-issue, wouldn't it? And you'd save money.

As far as sitting the 5-year old alone, we need to undertand that unattended children are unattended children. They are always boarded first and seated in a designated area to be looked after by flight attendants. If you're not seated with your child, they are "unattended". Trust me, a 5-year old will need attending, especially if it's a long flight.

You can only check in at the airport for a flight the same day, not the day before. However, most hotels have a business office where you could at least use a computer to check in and print boarding passes.

The large majority of carriers now allow for check-in 24 hours in advance. Since I've been able to do online or mobile check-in, I've done so "the day before" every single time.

It also depends on the hotel. Some charge for everything. I've stayed in budget hotels where a computer and printer were provided for free.

I'm pretty sure 1-year olds can sit in your lap. Isn't it free if they do? That would make this a non-issue, wouldn't it? And you'd save money.

As far as sitting the 5-year old alone, we need to undertand that unattended children are unattended children. They are always boarded first and seated in a designated area to be looked after by flight attendants. If you're not seated with your child, they are "unattended". Trust me, a 5-year old will need attending, especially if it's a long flight.

They can do that, and one can even bring a child seat, although a rear-facing infant seat can be tricky on a plane. If there are no empty seats available, they'll then check in the seat for free.

As for the other stuff, remember that technically it's a seat selection **preference**. You are not guaranteed the seats you select, and people can often be assigned a new seat at the discretion of the flight crew. The flight crew can move people around and do from time to time to accommodate parents who need to be near their kids.

The other thing is that one can ask nicely if others might move. The key is to work a fair trade if at all possible. Someone who was able to pick an aisle seat isn't likely to want to trade for a middle seat. I do understand that if you got the last choices, maybe middle seats were the only ones left for seat selection.

Seattle. Which airline?

Some airlines block the front section of economy for frequent flyers up until T-24 (24 hours before the flight). Sometimes you can tell this from the seat map. Alaska is notorius for this but at least they will let you select those seats at T-24 and it's possible some good ones will open up then as this is when a few folks buy up to first class because the price drops. Other airlines, like United have Economy Plus seating in the front and charge you extra to reserve a seat there but at the airport once the flight is release to airport control they can move you into those seats for free if there is a need (like they are oversold in the cheap seats).

First I would call the airline and explain the situation and ask if they can help. If that doesn't work out then check exactly at T-24 (24 hours before the flight) to see if you can select seats together. If they are available they'll go quickly so don't be late. If that doesn't work out either then get to the airport early and sort it out there. The check-in agent can probably help but gate agents in particular have almost unlimited power over seating a few hours before the flight so if they want to help you they can.

Seattle. Which airline?

Some airlines block the front section of economy for frequent flyers up until T-24 (24 hours before the flight). Sometimes you can tell this from the seat map. Alaska is notorius for this but at least they will let you select those seats at T-24 and it's possible some good ones will open up then as this is when a few folks buy up to first class because the price drops. Other airlines, like United have Economy Plus seating in the front and charge you extra to reserve a seat there but at the airport once the flight is release to airport control they can move you into those seats for free if there is a need (like they are oversold in the cheap seats).

First I would call the airline and explain the situation and ask if they can help. If that doesn't work out then check exactly at T-24 (24 hours before the flight) to see if you can select seats together. If they are available they'll go quickly so don't be late. If that doesn't work out either then get to the airport early and sort it out there. The check-in agent can probably help but gate agents in particular have almost unlimited power over seating a few hours before the flight so if they want to help you they can.

I was just going to write almost the exact same thing. We went to Vegas (DH and I) and our seats were second to the last row on the plane. We went to the Customer Service Desk (NOT at the gate - the first one you encounter after you go through TSA) and they got us into seats reserved for frequent flyers. It was easy peasy, PLUS they even checked us in for our returning flight 2 days later AND got us into the same type of seats for that flight also.

A lot of times they deal with grumpy people with wacky requests, so if you go to them with a smile on your face and a good attitude, they will be happy to help you out - IF they are able to.

I've been asked to move seats before so a parent could be near their child. Don't stress the airlines will help and if not your fellow passengers are more than likely to volunteer.

I just got off the phone with alaska and they have moved us together. Hopefully another family doesn't come along and separate us. Lol thank you for all of your comments, hopefully the flight will go smoothly. I've never had to be concerned about seat selection before, now I know :)

I just got off the phone with alaska and they have moved us together. Hopefully another family doesn't come along and separate us. Lol thank you for all of your comments, hopefully the flight will go smoothly. I've never had to be concerned about seat selection before, now I know :)

Glad this worked out for you! I've not had that positive an experience. Last time I flew, DH, 6 yo, 4yo and I all had separate seats (reassigned by airline due to their scheduling glitch, we were originally together). All middle seats. No one would trade with us. Finally a flight attendant bribed someone with a first class seat so at least my 4 year old and I could sit together. The 6 year old had to sit alone, a few rows up. From Philadelphia to SEA. Sigh.

I've also had seats reserved only to have a flight downgraded to a smaller plane (LGB to SEA, on Alaska) and had my kids separated from me. It's very frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter