• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I need dieting help, in a "Challenge" against DH! **UPDATE-BOTTOM PAGE 1**

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
Hi everyone :wave2:

As of today, DH and I are in a "Diet Challenge". In 3 weeks we will weigh in to see who has lost the most weight. Then after that we'll continue to weigh in every 2-3 weeks, until one of us has lost all the weight they want.

For this challenge we both want to lose 50 pounds, and we both weigh within 5 pounds of each other.

SO the first thing I thought of was the WISH board, for some help and support :)

I have done WW in the past, successfully. I still have my old points finders and booklets, etc. I'll probably just follow that diet. I also need to exercise. I need to be accountable to someone (other than myself. lol).

Do any of you have diet buddies, or anything like that? Anyone want to help me out? :blush:

P.S. Since I freely share my pics on this board anyway, I'll say right now that I weigh exactly 230 pounds. I can't believe I've let myself go like this. I was a thin kid, and of normal weight as an adult until a few years ago. As reference, when I was NINE MONTHS pregnant with my second DS, I weighed only 190, and even THAT was bad, or so I thought. I can't blame this weight gain on pregnancy though, because I wasn't overweight after I had my sons. This weight gain is due to eating the wrong foods, and too much of it, and no exercise.

Hi Seaspray!!! nice to see you on WISH! first thing -- make WISH your homepage :)

you have come to the bestest ever place for healthy lifestyle support! and i like your idea of pairing up with a 'buddy' -- i'm in an email group from WISH that has grown to 6 of us all together and we email daily (daily is our goal) and report in to each other, share our journals, exercising plans, etc. that definately helps for accountability

i do WW on my own meaning i don't attend official meetings. i love the program and sounds like you have the plan that works for you -- now baby step back on the wagon! you can do it, make one change at a time and when that feels like the norm you are ready for the next baby step

i know you will find a GREAT buddy -- and there are usually several exercise type threads/challenges just jump on in when you're ready!

I just got back from food shopping. I bought a ton of salad ingredients, other healthy foods, plus some of those 2 Point Weight Watcher ice cream bars. I remember they worked really well for me the last time, knowing there was a treat at the end of the day. :teeth:

Hey SeaSpray!

I know exactly where you are and how you feel! I just started Jenny Craig - I'm doing it for 6 weeks so I'm forced to make those "lifestyle" changes. Jenny tells you exactly what to eat (and provides most of the food) so I'm finding it helpful to start back this way. I just had my 2nd baby 9 months ago and the baby weight hasn't budged. I'm more than 50 pounds overweight and my goal is to lose 25 - 30 pounds by my next Disney trip (this July) and ALL the weight by 2006!

I would be happy to be your buddy - I can only get on line during the week when I'm on my lunch at work. Will that be ok? I do my weigh-ins on onday morning. I weigh myself. Oh, and on May 9th I will be going back on WW. I am only doing Jenny as a jump start.

Let me know if this works for you. You can send me a PM, too.

Good luck and way to go for taking the first step!!!

Anne :flower: :cheer2:

Welcome to WISH!!!

I have been a WISHer for a few years but I am just now coming back after having DD 10 weeks ago. I also do WW without going to the meetings. I use the WISH for inspiration, encouragement and accountability. It seems to work for me! :)

As far as that challenge with your DH..I hope you are doing it based on percentages. Men lose weight some much more quickly with seemingly less effort than women. Our bodies just seem to want to hold onto the extra weight a lot more. It is only fair to use percentages to really see who has been most successful. :)

As far as that challenge with your DH..I hope you are doing it based on percentages. Men lose weight some much more quickly with seemingly less effort than women. Our bodies just seem to want to hold onto the extra weight a lot more. It is only fair to use percentages to really see who has been most successful.

Welcome to WISH and it looks like you have a buddy already! I am ohMom's DM and part of her buddy group - it does really help to have that personable accountability.

OKAY NOW FOR THE DH challenge. I TOTALLY agree with Becka - actually that was going to be my emphatic post but she said it so eloquently - I will just say - tell your DH that you BEST WISH FRIENDS have determined/taken a vote (use any tactic you can use) that it is an UNFAIR challenge and we want the best for the both of you -but durn it all - those men can just knock that weight off while they sleep even - never happens on the female side of the coin (or at least any time I am aware of) so you still want to continue the challenge but in a FAIR manner to both of you. Whew - hope I am not too overbearing but I love to see the women win :earboy2:

Let us know how he reacts.........sending :wizard: that it is an easy sell :cheer2:

Good luck and come post often - you'll find great support here!

becka said:
Welcome to WISH!!!

I have been a WISHer for a few years but I am just now coming back after having DD 10 weeks ago. I also do WW without going to the meetings. I use the WISH for inspiration, encouragement and accountability. It seems to work for me! :)

As far as that challenge with your DH..I hope you are doing it based on percentages. Men lose weight some much more quickly with seemingly less effort than women. Our bodies just seem to want to hold onto the extra weight a lot more. It is only fair to use percentages to really see who has been most successful. :)

I agree with Becka about going with a percentage instead of actual weight. Men definately lose weight faster than women because the have more muscle mass - more muscle means more calories burned! So make sure that you include a weight workout in with cardio - alot of women are afraid of doing anything with weights but when you build muscle you will burn fat faster!!!

Here's another vote for going by percentages! It's either that, or force feed him in his sleep! :rotfl2: (Just kidding!)

I totally agree about the exercise too! Having a workout routine (weight/cardio) is doing AMAZING things for me--much to my surprise. I've dropped several pounds and inches rather quickly by doing this.

No matter what the outcome, you've got a great support team on your side! This within itself gives you a greater advantage over your DH! :sunny:

:cheer2: You can do this, SeaSpray! :cheer2:

Hi Seaspray :wave2:

I have to weigh in on the side of percentages,too. My DH can lose by just cutting out bread and potatoes! It takes a lot more than that for me! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the guys just love to win. So maybe you are being smart by letting him "win" at losing! ;) Having a few tricks up our sleeves never hurts!

I've just come back to WISH after being gone for several months, so I could use a couple of buddies to keep me on track. I'm doing WW on my own also and want to lose another 70 pounds. I started at 264 and have lost 66 so far, so I'm not quite 1/2 there yet. Too much food and not enough exercise have been my problems, too. Especially, exercise. I can come up with every excuse in the book to avoid exercise.

PM me if you'd like to buddy up and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Thanks so much for the support, everyone!!!! :sunny: I really appreciate it :)

This morning DH and I had to take our vehicles (he has a truck, I have a mini-van) over to the dealer for oil changes and regular maintenance service, so we stopped at our favorite restaurant for breakfast.

I had a tea with sweetNLow and a splash of milk, 1 poached egg, and 1 slice of dry wheat toast, and a fresh fruit cup. I brought my WW points book with me! :teeth:

DH, on the otherhand, had a HUGE grilled bagel, with cream cheese. :earboy2: And he had coffee with sugar and cream. I know he'll cut back, but I don't think he realizes how many calories are in certain foods. lol

I think I will just keep it at how much weight we each lose, because we do weigh very close to the same amount, and I don't think he'd go for HIM having to lose a higher percentage of weight than me. I don't think Dr Phil had the men lose more weight, percentage wise, than the women, did he? I think he only went by percentage of total weight lost. And since DH and I weigh almost the same, the percentage would be almost the same. I don't know, am I looking at this wrong?? :confused3 At any rate, I hope I lost a decent amount by the time the first weigh-in rolls around. :)

I just wanted to wish you good luck!!! It seems like you are off to a wonderful start. I think your challenge idea sounds like fun! :cool1:

SeaSpray said:
. . . I had a tea with sweetNLow and a splash of milk, 1 poached egg, and 1 slice of dry wheat toast, and a fresh fruit cup. I brought my WW points book with me! :teeth:

Great job with the breakfast out!! Keep up the good work!

SeaSpray said:
. . . I think I will just keep it at how much weight we each lose, because we do weigh very close to the same amount, and I don't think he'd go for HIM having to lose a higher percentage of weight than me. . . .

Hey, if this works for you then I say go for it! The important thing is that you're doing something terrific for yourself. (I just hope you really kick his tail though! lol) :goodvibes

SeaSpray said:
At any rate, I hope I lost a decent amount by the time the first weigh-in rolls around. :)

Keep track like you did this morning, and you WILL have a VERY decent loss!!

:cheer2: Good luck to you! :shamrock:

Seaspray- Men lose faster b/c women's bodies are designed to store fat, while men's body's are designed to store muscle. Yes this does not seem fair b/c they expect us to look like twigs! Anyways, my advice to you: find exercise that you enjoy. Make a mix CD or iPod playlist of your favorite pump-you-up songs and get going! Watching what you eat is important but you won't get good results without putting in the work at the gym!

Ok, even though it's not the official first weigh in, DH and I got on the scale yesterday to see how we were progressing with our diets.

I am down 3.5 pounds.

DH is down 1.5 pounds.

PLUS, I re-weighed myself again this morning and it's showing another pound off, so I'm down 4.5 pounds! :sunny:

Our Official First Weigh-In is still 2 weeks away, so this is an endurance race! I just wanted to let you all know how it's going so far, and I appreciate all the support! :cheer2:

WOOO HOOOO!!!! Those pounds are just melting away!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

You are so right about this being an endurance race. It's the little changes we make over time that really mount up into big losses!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc Way to go!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter