I need a plan. Any plan. One, preferably, that works. Please help!

JanieMc

Mouseketeer
Hey there, I am about to gnaw off my arm in frustration. Not really, just feeling hyberbolic today because we're a month out from our trip and I'll be darned if I can find touring plans that make sense. I subscribed to TouringPlans, and first let me say that their information is fantastic and regardless of whether we end up using their custom plan--which I've been cobbling together for, like, forever--the site has been an excellent value, and their customer service is first-rate. However--when I come up with a rational plan and then update and optimize and socialize and minimize and everything there is to do (well, really, just evaluate and optimize), one time it might give me what seems a reasonable plan. (I've been to Disney multiple times so I do know the lay of the land.) Then I might make a single tweak and re-evaluate and optimize and then it tells me something like hit the carrousel first. HERE I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. It really did tell me to hit the carrousel first. Why would we do that? Oh, because we don't want to do Peter Pan or A&E or SDMT or anything else because the carrousel is the best thing MK has going. OK--I'm not trying to be snarky! I just am having serious trust issues about now. Years ago, we used TourGuideMike and I don't think he's around anymore, but they were amazing plans--they really were. Last year we used TouringPlans and we tried to adhere but they didn't seem to work. Heck, maybe nothing works anymore. I'm now on Easywdw and that sounds good--but guys--what do you do for your plans??? I know a good plan--with room to switch around, I'm not that rigid--is key to an enjoyable day. And I'm sorry for going on--I'm just at a loss here. We've got great FP+ (SDMT, A&E, and Festival of Fantasy--yah, it's that important) and I know we can do this right. Thank you for any insights or feedback you might have--and hey, if it's the best idea to start with the carrousel, then by golly, we will, but I know something is very wrong. Thank you!!!

My observation would be that you are overthinking it.

I like TP too and I think their customized plans can help as a general guide. But, if you are familiar with WDW, and something seems illogical, like going to the carousel first, it probably is.

I mean it sounds like a you know what you are doing. I had the SAME problem with TPs. It doesn't want to play nicely with FP plus and will tell me to wait in line for 45 minutes for Anna and Elsa rather than get a FP plus. Uhm or NO. And also when is their wait EVER 45 minutes?? LOLOLOLOLLLLOL!

Anyways, I use a combo of Touring Plans easywdw and wdwprepschool. I find that I am able to have multiple scenarios ready to roll in case of ride break down or odd events while also remaining flexible.

I found TPs to be useful when planning my MNSSHP night where I wanted to see fireworks and parades and take DS TOTing AND do a few key rides before 10pm when he turns into a pumpkin.

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Choose your days based on the crowd calendars at easywdw.com
  2. Start with the cheat sheets at easywdw.com and take out any attractions that don't interest you. Now you have a fantastic touring plan that will absolutely work.
  3. If you want to, put those attractions (in order) into the touring plans generator and press the "evaluate" button. Do not press "optimize."
That's it. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

I used Touring Plans customize for my last trip. You do have to play around with the options a little bit to get a plan that looks right to you. I found my biggest problem was I kept mistakenly hitting "Optimize" after making a small tweak. After you get your plan for that day close to what you want you need to use "Evaluate", otherwise the tool changes just about everything. Once I got that in my head, everything went smoothly.

Guys, you all are awesome. Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I wonder why TP insists on keeping "optimize", as such. For a while I thought they were interchangeable. I will try that, and Easy WDW too--maybe I'll do what one of you said and figure out an Easy plan and run it through TP just because I have it--and TP is handy with the wait times app. I'm really not trying to make this harder than it is--I'm trying to make it easy and having a rather hard time doing so. All I want is to have a good day. LOL!!!:thanks:

Guys, you all are awesome. Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I wonder why TP insists on keeping "optimize", as such. For a while I thought they were interchangeable. I will try that, and Easy WDW too--maybe I'll do what one of you said and figure out an Easy plan and run it through TP just because I have it--and TP is handy with the wait times app. I'm really not trying to make this harder than it is--I'm trying to make it easy and having a rather hard time doing so. All I want is to have a good day. LOL!!!:thanks:
Hi JanieMc,
I think the optimize button is useful for the first run through. So you just pick all of your attractions in any order, select walking speed and maybe least amount of walking, then hit optimize. After that you make your tweaks and use evaluate. At least that's the way I did it (after I learned about optimize).

I use Touring Plans too. But, never...ever...click "optimize." (I kid...sorta). Pick the attractions your interested in seeing, place them in the order, then click "evaluate." It takes some tweaking to get it right, but that's the best way to come up with a plan that works for you.

Hey guys!! I followed just about everyone's advice--and appreciated all of it. :worship:I read up on Easy WDW and sort of arranged things in a sensible way using the map (which helped a lot) to envision the place--because even after having been a fair number of times, I never really know quite where I am in the MK. LOL! Then in order to utilize the nifty timing function on TP, I did as you suggested and put them in, in my own order and EVALUATED ONLY. It helped a lot in figuring out what time we would be where, for lunch, etc. I tried optimizing first when I just selected all the attractions we wanted, but something is seriously wonky... it was still putting things like Mad Tea Party first!! Even when I started fresh in no particular order! Maybe it's just today... and maybe they kind of need to know about it... :sad2: Or maybe things are not on my side today. But in the end, I BACKED AWAY FROM THE OPTIMIZER. Thanks to all for the warnings. OPTIMIZING=UTTER CHAOS. I now have a rather nice plan that makes for a little order and allows for some spontaneity--but as many of us probably feel, in order to get the kind of day you want, you have to be willing to set pen to paper a bit. At least for me... because then it doesn't feel like commando--it just ensures we do what we want to do! :daisy:

I use Touring Plans, but I do find it requires you have some knowledge of the parks to really get the most out of it. I don't think I would ever recommend it as the primary plan tool for a first timer. I definitely prefer to put my own order in and then "evaluate". Although, I do sometimes go with the laundry list of things to do and "optimize" and it almost always gets me somewhere close to a decent plan, but then my knowledge has to come into play to move a couple things around "evaluate" then done.

OP, sounds like now that you've got the difference between evaluate and optimize sorted out, you'll end up being able to put together a great touring plan for yourself. Have fun!

I know what you mean about TP. I've found that if you optimize the same plan more than once it can get really wacky.

So I choose my attractions and then optimize. I then will tweak the plan slightly based on personal preference. If I add something minor I will just drop it in where I think it should go and then tweak. If I'm adding something major (like A&E) I will start over.

It takes s bit of work, for sure. But it works for me and is super helpful come FP selection time.

Agree 100%, andiraye! It is indeed some temporary heavy thinking, lol--but it is worth it just as you say. I'm very happy with our plan now. I've toured MK both ways, and it is infinitely better--and so much easier--to have a bead on what we're doing. We accomplish more, wait less... but mostly, we're happier! I just act like we don't have a rigid plan but I know what we're doing... and it keeps us all from stopping short and wondering what to do next... comparing wait times, location... and, come to think of it, doing exactly what people like us do beforehand! It occurs to me now--regardless of when you get down to brass tacks about what to do--you're gonna do it anyway, so might as well be strategic about it!

I have probably been giving more thought to this than it deserves but I think the reason the results in TP are sometimes off is because they are generated by a computer, not a person, and the algorithm is probably
designed to minimize overall wait time and can't distinguish between what humans consider "acceptable" and "unacceptable" wait time.

So for example, to the algorithm, shaving 5 minutes off of Mad Tea Party is better than shaving 4 minutes off of Space Mountain. But I'd prefer to wait for 7 minutes at MTP and 12 minutes at SM than 2 mins at MTP and 16 minutes at SM.

For my kids (and DH) any minute over 12 mins results in exponentially increases antsinesss. TP doesn't know that, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!