I need a new bed, stamping my feet ;-)

If you like the sleep number - we had one for 10 years, and I loved it, hubby didn't - call their toll free number and ask about refurb or previous model year beds and save $$$$. Those are half price or less original price.

We sold ours with our bedroon suite, bought an iComfort bed. It's the memory foam, with a layer of cooling gel, so it doesn't get hot like regular memory foam does. Love it. Bought the dual side king adjustable. Love it. Did I mention we love it?!?!?!

We got the Serta version of a Tempurpedic a few years ago and it was almost $2,000 but it was completely worth it. I used to wake up sore all over but not anymore so I'm never going back to a cheaper mattress.

This!

We couldn't take the pain of our old mattress any more and shopped around quite a bit. Tried out lots of styles. We settled on the i-series and love it! Back and hip pains vanished almost immediately. We highly recommend it. :thumbsup2

Do you have the split one? Or is it just one large piece?

My husband THRASHES in bed. I can't sleep.

It's just one mattress, I wasn't even aware they made split ones. The commerical used to show a wine glass sitting on one end of the mattress and someone sits on the other side and it doesn't spill! I really don't notice any of DH movements or when either of our 65 lb labs jump up.

We have a high end serta with a pillowtop and we LOVE it. We have had it for several years and it is a joy. A mattress is one thing to spend the money on. We did spend over 2k to get a king bed mattress with the proper box springs.

My mom has a temperpedic and i hate the damn thing. I have to sleep on it during thanksgiving and it will cause me grief. She spent money on it - that is for sure. But it is an awful, hot, nasty thing that I hate.

We did test a sleep number bed before we bought ours - it felt odd. We also used them in hotels and they did not sleep well either. So we took that money, bought the top of the line mattress we could, and spent the rest on high quality furnishings. Honestly - it has been probably 4-5 year (our cycle before to buy new furniture) but everything is functioning as if it were brand new because we got top of the line stuff for our master at that time. Happy we did that! It has been so worth it.

We were recently looking for mattresses I'd say less then a year ago. First we purchased temperpedic and I couldn't stand the smell it was so bad I was sleeping on the sofa for months. We were able to return it at a loss. Then when we went shopping I found so many mattresses have really toxic chemicals I didn't want to be sleeping on. When I started researching alternatives all I could find were mattresses in the 6k plus range. In the end we went with Vi-spring. Our mattress has no chemicals added to it. Its all natural hand tied individual coils wrapped in wool, cotton, horse hair and hand stitched and knotted. If your looking for an amazing mattress that could last you a lifetime. Don't hesitate to look into vi-spring. I couldn't even begin to tell you how amazing our bed is. The divan is more comfortable then most mattresses are. If you can, go for a vi-spring you won't regret it.

I have an awful mattress, it's very, very old and you can feel the springs :eek:
However, last year I bought a memory foam pad and put it on top of the mattress...now it is so comfortable! It's amazing how much of a difference a few inches of foam can make :goodvibes The only problem is that I move around a lot on my sleep, so sometimes the pad slides a bit. Never too bad though!

We have a beauty rest black....we went to our local sleep center and did the electronic analysis of our body's and how we sleep and used that to try to find out what would be best for us. We have had our mattress for 3 yrs now and still really like it. It cost 2000$ for the queen... One super important feature is individual coils....you should be able to find this in king mattresses in the 900$ range, but it means when he moves, you don't have too!!!!

Just last week we went to the local store and bought Ds6 his first real mattress. His room doubles as the guest room so we relaxed the futon with a full six bed. We ended up with the lowest model seals posture pedis gel bed. It does not have gel on the top layer, but it does in the center to help maintain shape. It has individual coils and has extra padding at the edges of the bed to keep the entire bed sleepable space. It had a free box-spring offer associated with it so it cost 684$ for a full. If I was looking for us, we probably would have updated to the gel on top :)

We absolutely do not get any sleep on a sleep number....neither do my inlaws ...they moved theirs back to their guest room and went back to sleeping on their 12 yr old mattress instead it was so bad! T each his own!!! Try before you buy!!!!

Thanks. We are very close to getting two separate beds for that room!

Dawn

It's just one mattress, I wasn't even aware they made split ones. The commerical used to show a wine glass sitting on one end of the mattress and someone sits on the other side and it doesn't spill! I really don't notice any of DH movements or when either of our 65 lb labs jump up.

We've had the Tempurpedic Celebrity bed for about 10 years. It took a few weeks to get used to, but I swear its the most comfortable bed in the world to me.

I have stayed in the best 5 Star hotels and can never get a good nights sleep anywhere anymore in any type of spring bed, I swear I can feel every spring or lump.

We have a TempurPedic.. have had it for 12 yrs now, and if/when we ever need to get another mattress, I'll definitely be getting another TempurPedic.

I love it and love that I cannot feel when dh turns over, etc. I used to have bad shoulder pain on my old mattresses, and from the day we had the Tempur delivered, have never had the pain again.

Okay, I have a really unorthodox suggestion for couples who have mattress issues. DH and I were in the market for a new mattress after just about 5 years on our supposedly "no flip" mattress. Big holes where each of us slept, lump in the middle, could barely move without the whole bed shaking. We both shift positions at night, and each time it woke the other up. Talk about no sleep!

We tried out different mattresses -- either in store or took note while staying at others' houses. We quickly ruled out pillow top (made our backs hurt), memory foam/latex (whole mattress, combo and mattress topper) as they made us super hot at night -- didn't even try the number or tempurpedic one because of cost. In desperation, until we found a permanent solution we decided to go ahead and dump our old mattress, and moved the two basic, firm twin mattresses we had on our guest room daybed into our room. We just put the two mattresses on top of our king box springs. Oh..my..gosh. Best nights of sleep in YEARS. When one of us moved around, the only way you'd feel it is one tugged the blankets too hard. The mattresses were a little stiff, so we just put cheapo egg crate on each covered with a padded mattress cover, and it has been heaven. A few people I've mentioned this as an option to sometimes look at us weird, like we must be on the verge of sleeping in separate rooms or something. But it really isn't any different than having a whole mattress, apart from sleeping better. Now, if you are a couple that like to cuddle the whole night, or you have children that sleep with you, this won't really work very well unless you like sharing a twin mattress all night long.

If you do like the idea, but want to make it more like a single, seamless mattress, they do sell these little straps that hold the beds together. You then can put a padded mattress cover over it to prevent feeling the ridges in between, top with a regular king sheet and voila! If you've gone on a cruise and shared a bed, this is what you've slept on. We did try this, and found that while it was still better than the single king solution (we've had a good nights sleep on every Disney cruise!), it still wasn't as movement free as without the connectors.

FWIW: the twins do have to be extra long length to fit on a regular king box spring. They still end up being so much cheaper than buying a regular king mattress. I know sometimes going with the budget option means compromising for the less than ideal, but this has not been the case for us.

I am with your sister. 16 years on a Select Comfort....we will never go back. However, we bought the top of the line with pillowtop. My parents didn't and weren't thrilled with theirs. We have a temperpedic in the guest room, king size, no one likes to sleep on that! I agree you should test in store.

I think this is the key to the sleep number bed. We also bought top of the line with the pillowtop and we have never slept better in our life . 8 years on it and we hate being on anything else.
My friend slept here and loved it so much he went out and bought one .... he skimped and bought the lover level one and hated it . They took it back after he had it for 5 months and let him upgrade for just the price difference

We have a Beauty Rest king mattress that we bought about a year and a half ago and I absolutely love it. I think it cost about $2200 and it was worth every penny. We tried a ton of mattresses before finding this one. Good luck in your search!

I'm a WI girl too and we've been in the market for a new bed for a long time. *sigh*

We looked at Sleep Number beds at DH's insistence and I *hated* them. After laying on them for a while, DH decided he didn't care for them either.

You are sleeping on 2 air mattresses in 2 separate chambers (which you can feel). I can go to the store and buy 2 air mattresses for less than $100. I'm certainly not paying over $3000 for them. ;)

Some people claim they are the be-all end-all in beds. We didn't agree. We've found a Foster Sterns we really like, we just need to get to the store and order it! :)

I agree with you. I watched so many commercials about sleep number beds that when I was at the mall I decided to check them out. I had no idea at this point how exactly it worked and when I saw air bed I lost interest. Why to pay so much money for air bed with remote control.:confused3

I have a "Gainsborough" Plush Top by Sleep Xpressions by Southerland Bedding.
(http://www.southerlandsleep.com/products/sleep-xpressions)

It is made in the USA and I bought it from a LOCAL furniture store. It was only $549 for the set, including the frame and delivery. The no-pressure sales guy even threw in free sheets after we had paid for it. I've been sleeping on it for 2 years and my husband and I agree it is he best bed ever! It has memory foam in a middle layer and the plush top is a good choice when you can't choose between a firm and pillow top.

I know I did not get the cheapest deal out there, but we shopped around and got a pretty good deal on one we really wanted. I don't understand why people spend so much on beds!! :confused3 You are usually just paying for the more known brand names they offer at major retail chains.

Okay, I have a really unorthodox suggestion for couples who have mattress issues. DH and I were in the market for a new mattress after just about 5 years on our supposedly "no flip" mattress. Big holes where each of us slept, lump in the middle, could barely move without the whole bed shaking. We both shift positions at night, and each time it woke the other up. Talk about no sleep!

We tried out different mattresses -- either in store or took note while staying at others' houses. We quickly ruled out pillow top (made our backs hurt), memory foam/latex (whole mattress, combo and mattress topper) as they made us super hot at night -- didn't even try the number or tempurpedic one because of cost. In desperation, until we found a permanent solution we decided to go ahead and dump our old mattress, and moved the two basic, firm twin mattresses we had on our guest room daybed into our room. We just put the two mattresses on top of our king box springs. Oh..my..gosh. Best nights of sleep in YEARS. When one of us moved around, the only way you'd feel it is one tugged the blankets too hard. The mattresses were a little stiff, so we just put cheapo egg crate on each covered with a padded mattress cover, and it has been heaven. A few people I've mentioned this as an option to sometimes look at us weird, like we must be on the verge of sleeping in separate rooms or something. But it really isn't any different than having a whole mattress, apart from sleeping better. Now, if you are a couple that like to cuddle the whole night, or you have children that sleep with you, this won't really work very well unless you like sharing a twin mattress all night long.

If you do like the idea, but want to make it more like a single, seamless mattress, they do sell these little straps that hold the beds together. You then can put a padded mattress cover over it to prevent feeling the ridges in between, top with a regular king sheet and voila! If you've gone on a cruise and shared a bed, this is what you've slept on. We did try this, and found that while it was still better than the single king solution (we've had a good nights sleep on every Disney cruise!), it still wasn't as movement free as without the connectors.

FWIW: the twins do have to be extra long length to fit on a regular king box spring. They still end up being so much cheaper than buying a regular king mattress. I know sometimes going with the budget option means compromising for the less than ideal, but this has not been the case for us.

Great idea!:thumbsup2

Have slept on sleep number beds in hotels, it's sort of a glorified air mattress, I would not buy one.

We originally had a $1,500 pillow-topped fancy mattress & box spring set, and it was pretty worn down with valleys by only about 7 years in. When I was pregnant, I'd get trapped inside a valley and have trouble heaving out of bed, it was ridiculous.

We ended up buying a $550 mattress & box spring set, I'll have to go check the label, it was one of the "S" brands (Sealy? Simmons? not sure). Figured even if it only lasted 3 years, I'd get the value/year as from the fancier set. We've had it 2 years now, still very happy.

Personally, I won't pay for a pillow top again (memory foam toppers from Overstock are more cost-efficient).

Oh My God, I hated our pillowtop matress when I was pregnant, getting out of bed was a nightmare. We ended up putting our fancy pillowtop in our guest room and using the cheap $400 Sealy mattress from our guestroom in our bed.

We were also looking for a new bedroom set today and really liked the Vivon, it's a gel memory foam mattress. It's free of petroleum based products and it has a special fabric that manages moisture and diffuses body heat. It has a 20 year warranty. Plus, it's extremely comfortable! DH absolutely loved it

We're from somewhat your area, and wanted to support the local economy, so bought a Verlo from the store in Green Bay. You can watch through the glass as they build them right there, and they have a really good warranty. DH and I are both pooh sized, were buying our first king sized bed, and wanted one that would really last. We've had it three years, share it with a variety of dogs, and it looks and feels as good as the day we bought it. Not cheap, but worth it! It's at verlo dot com, if you want to see if there's one near you.

PS My parents both love their Sleep Number beds, but DH hates them, so I didn't have that choice:sad:.

Terri

We're from somewhat your area, and wanted to support the local economy, so bought a Verlo from the store in Green Bay. You can watch through the glass as they build them right there, and they have a really good warranty. DH and I are both pooh sized, were buying our first king sized bed, and wanted one that would really last. We've had it three years, share it with a variety of dogs, and it looks and feels as good as the day we bought it. Not cheap, but worth it! It's at verlo dot com, if you want to see if there's one near you.

PS My parents both love their Sleep Number beds, but DH hates them, so I didn't have that choice:sad:.

Terri

I forgot about Verlo. Though we'd go to the one in Appleton. :)

So glad I came across this post. I went out just yesterday to "test" out new mattresses. Our old pillowtop has the same problem as many of yours did. Like sleeping in a canoe!. :rotfl:

The Serta iComfort and the Sealy Optimum (both with gel and memory foam) they both were very comfortable in the store and they cost about the same.

Does anyone have any comments on these two? I researched for a few hours last night to find reviews and still can't make up my mind. The reviews were pretty even.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter