I Need A Little Mac Help

Jeff in BigD

Oldschool DISer
Last night I was using my CD drive without any problems, until I put the last CD in. It was an audio CD & it wasn't spinning up. I tried to eject the disk (the icon wasn't appearing on the desktop), so I pressed the eject button on the drive. No dice. I think I should have just restarted & ejected it while it was rebooting, but instead I stuck the paper clip in the tiny "just in case" hole. It ejected the CD, but now the CD drive won't close all the way.

I can push it in all the way, but it's not locking closed & when I move my finger, the drive pops back open. I tried to spin up a disc, holding the drive closed - no dice. I do have a burner which also works as a CD-rom, but running a CD from it seriously slows down the applications (it's connected via USB). I currently have the CD drive held shut with tape.

I'd like to get this fixed, preferrably without having to reformat the harddrive. I have a 1st run Bondi iMac. I believe it's a Rev B, possibly a Rev A. Do you guys have any answers? TIA. :)

I don't know Mac's, but try this...

If the CD drive is open it should shut the door when dis-connected and then re-connected to power again and re-set the drawer timing.

Once you do the power reset (directly on the drive, not the MAC itself) see if it will spin a disc for you.

That button can goof up the timing of the drawer which is most likely what happened. The first time I did this, I forced the drawer back in and could hear the plastic gears snapping, so don't do that. :)

If this doesn't work, you are probably "off a tooth" already, and need some major sugery to re-time the teeth/drawer gear. Not something I can talk you through without being there.

Look underneath the open drawer and see if you can see teeth that go to the drive gear while you are at it.

JC

The 1st run iMacs don't have a powered disc tray like normal towers (with the "teethed" gears). This one is pretty much spring loaded, so I'm pretty sure it it's a matter of one of the locks not engaging once it gets shut. It pulls out fine & goes in fine, until there's about an inch of the drive sticking out.

Then I have to use a little more force than normal to get it to go all the way in. There's a slight pop sound, like there's two parts that are blocking each other & the pop is both finally passing each other.

I just put in a CD in the drive & held it closed & it read it fine, which further leads me to believe it's just a matter of messed up spring or non-catching lock.

I'll take a closer look at it tonight - I have an interview in a bit & a final exam after that right now.

Originally posted by Mr. J. Cricket
You took the "Big Gulp" cup out of the holder first right? ;)

JC
LOL! Yeah. ;)

The style of the drive is more like a portable CD player (with the part in the middle that you snap it onto), not the cup holder style.

They all hold cups with some slight modifications :)

Seriously, you were just speeking French to me with that spring loading and "click" stuff a second ago.

Hopefully someone with more (or at least some) MAC knowlege can help you out.

JC

Yup, it worked! It took about 5 minutes & now it's back up & working like a champ again! :)

BTW, I think notebook computers also use the same type of CD trays as the older iMac if that helps (for future reference).

Now I know what you are talking about. Rack-mount servers have this kind of deal too.

I'm glad it's working now.

So.....when are you getting a PC? ;)

JC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter