I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

We LOVE the Wilderness Lodge and I've always wanted to stay at the Beach Club. I'm still hoping to plan a solo trip and am thinking of going through David's as well to get a DVC rental. You can save so much money that way on the deluxe resorts! I did really love POFQ though during our last trip so I may stay there again depending on how the prices compare.

Sounds like you have a good plan! We LOVED wilderness lodge. It's my mom's favorite especially at Christmas.

I must say I'm slightly intrigued by the taste of an Earl Gray cupcake haha!

I'm excited about WL now too! It wasn't actually on any of my lists when thinking about places to stay but the more I look into it the more happy I am with my decision.

And the earl grey cupcakes were actually pretty bland tastewise - I used tea as the liquid and added in the tea leaves but it wasn't a strong flavour.

I don't know how it happened, but I missed this update somehow.
Sorry 'bout dat.

That's ok - I forgive you.

I know right? You think the universe would know that it should revolve around me.

Nice!
And I'm quite impressed with your budgeting skilz.

Thanks - It's going to mean no buying lunches at work up until the trip but I think I can manage!

Ooohhhh... Niiiiice.
Always wanted to stay there.

I want to stay in every WDW resort so that's pretty much my response to anything :cutie:

Meh. Not a huge fan.
Then again, never stayed there either so what do I know.

I really only picked this one as it was the cheapest out of the deluxes and the easiest to get into. Plus it will be nice to actually feel like I'm in Florida when I'm actually in Florida.

One more time!... Niiiiiice.

:goodvibes

::yes::

It's subtle, but you can just tell.

This will be me going between my room and EPCOT - :dancer:

Okay. What is this David's that you mention?
Those prices are pretty darn good.

David's are one of the advertisers on here - David's DVC Rental. Really only useful when planning a long time ahead as a lot of the rooms book out at 11 months out when bookings open.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but every time I read one of your updates...

I get hungry.

I get hungry too - but hungry is pretty much my factory setting.

We LOVE the Wilderness Lodge and I've always wanted to stay at the Beach Club. I'm still hoping to plan a solo trip and am thinking of going through David's as well to get a DVC rental. You can save so much money that way on the deluxe resorts! I did really love POFQ though during our last trip so I may stay there again depending on how the prices compare.

You should definitely keep thinking about doing a solo trip - they are so much fun (especially if you're someone like me who likes to have their own way most of the time ;)).

I've never been to POFQ but it does look very pretty in the pictures I've seen in peoples TRs.

Congrats on your bookings...:jumping1: awesome choices!

Thank you!

I'm excited about WL now too! It wasn't actually on any of my lists when thinking about places to stay but the more I look into it the more happy I am with my decision.

And the earl grey cupcakes were actually pretty bland tastewise - I used tea as the liquid and added in the tea leaves but it wasn't a strong flavour.

Its a beautiful rustic type resort. You feel like you just stepped into a ski lodge when you head inside! I think it's been a very underrated deluxe since AKL came along. May be why all the construction and what not.

Loving your PTR, I'm thinking about starting one in about a week as we are going next year for our Thanksgiving!

in honour of your thanksgiving (it’s not something that’s made its way to Australia)
This is my favorite quote.....hmmmm wonder why it hasn't caught on in Australia:rotfl::rotfl2:

Loving your PTR, I'm thinking about starting one in about a week as we are going next year for our Thanksgiving!

This is my favorite quote.....hmmmm wonder why it hasn't caught on in Australia:rotfl::rotfl2:

Thanks for joining in - I'll keep an eye out for your PTR!

And Halloween has only just caught on in the past 2-3 years in Australia so who knows? We may get Thanksgiving eventually :laughing:

44 Weeks to Go

I’m going to use this week’s update to talk a little about my upcoming trip as I will be on a plane in 7 days time. I’m heading down to Melbourne to visit my Mum for Christmas (which is an eight hour drive) and am then flying out on the 27th.

I’m flying from Melbourne to Singapore which is about 8 hours of flight time. I’m spending two nights in Singapore staying at the Hotel NuVe which is about a 15min walk from Raffles for those of you have been or know the city.

Hotel Nuve.jpg

Nuve Room.jpg

In my one full day in Singapore I’m going to go to Universal Studios. I’ve never been to this one before and couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I’ve been to Singapore a number of times now and have done all the other touristy sites so I don’t feel I’m missing out on much by using my time to visit a theme park :hyper:. I’m looking forward to riding the Battlestar Galatica coaster as it is the world’s tallest dueling coaster.

Universal.jpg

Battlestar_Galactica_Human_vs_Cylon_-_nested_tracks.jpg

After my two nights in Singapore I will be flying across to Bangkok. A close friend moved there almost a year ago so it’s a good opportunity for a visit. I haven’t been back to Bangkok since my first visit in 2004 so I’m looking forward to rediscovering it. I’m also there for New Year’s Eve as well as my birthday so it should be good. I’ll be staying at Aspen Suites which is in the Sukhumvit area.

Aspen Room.jpg

Aspen Pool.jpg

From Bangkok I’m flying out on the 2nd of January for Yangon, Myanmar. This is a ticking off the bucket list sort of thing – one of my goals is to visit as many countries as possible and Myanmar will take it up to 35 countries (or about 17 per cent). I’ll only be there for two days so I’m spending all my time in Yangon itself. I’ll be staying at the Great Treasure Hotel which sits alongside the Yangon River.

Great Treasure.jpg

From there I’m flying into one of my favourite cities in the world – Hong Kong. I’ll have three nights and I’m staying at a guest house in Mongkok (Mongkok Hotel 1812). This is a great area close to all the shopping but really there is not bad spot to stay in Hong Kong.

Mongkok.jpg

And yes, this is where the year of Disney will kick off as I will be returning to one of my favourite Disney parks, Hong Kong Disneyland. I was last there in 2012 which was just after Toy Story Land had opened. I love their version of BTMR which is Big Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor and there Nemoesque Stitch Encounter.

Hong-Kong-disney-1.jpg

And then on the 7th I’ll board my flight home (or at least to Melbourne). I arrive back in Australia on the 8th then have a day to recover before the eight hour drive and then start back at work on the 11th.

So that’s all for this trip – I’m hoping to still be able to do weekly updates while I’m away so that I can share all the fun from Universal Singapore and Hong Kong Disneyland.

Lastly, this week’s cupcakes are actually a throwback to some I made earlier in the year for a friend’s sons birthday party. Why? Because it is too damn hot at the moment to be baking where I live. It’s currently sitting at around 37⁰C (100⁰F) and I live in a third floor apartment with no air-conditioning so there’s no way I’m turning the oven on! So enjoy these pirates of the Caribbean inspired chocolate mud cupcakes.

20140724_193110.jpg

Its a beautiful rustic type resort. You feel like you just stepped into a ski lodge when you head inside! I think it's been a very underrated deluxe since AKL came along. May be why all the construction and what not.

I think it was actually built to look like a national park lodge - one in Yellowstone if I remember correctly. We love it too and I prefer it over the AKL since it's closer to MK.

Love your pirate cupcakes! I understand the no cooking rule during hot weather. My last apartment was the same situation!

Your trip sounds amazing! I wish I could travel more. New Zealand and Australia would be the first two on my list!

Sounds like you'll be busy over the holidays! I don't know how you keep it all straight. I can't wait to read about your upcoming travel adventures.
It's a bummer you didn't get your first requests. I had a feeling it would be hard to get those choices. We're booking at our 7 month window for our November trip and hoping to get lucky with our resort choices. I might have to check the DVC website for availability. As far as OKW we truly enjoyed the resort. The only downside was not having elevators and carrying up sleepy kids after a long day. We loved the decor and the space. I'm sure you will enjoy the resort.

I think it was actually built to look like a national park lodge - one in Yellowstone if I remember correctly. We love it too and I prefer it over the AKL since it's closer to MK.

The closeness to MK is definitely a bonus for WL :cutie:

Love your pirate cupcakes! I understand the no cooking rule during hot weather. My last apartment was the same situation!

Your trip sounds amazing! I wish I could travel more. New Zealand and Australia would be the first two on my list!

Well if you ever make it down under I'd be happy to give you lots of tips and suggestions ::yes::

Sounds like you'll be busy over the holidays! I don't know how you keep it all straight. I can't wait to read about your upcoming travel adventures.
It's a bummer you didn't get your first requests. I had a feeling it would be hard to get those choices. We're booking at our 7 month window for our November trip and hoping to get lucky with our resort choices. I might have to check the DVC website for availability. As far as OKW we truly enjoyed the resort. The only downside was not having elevators and carrying up sleepy kids after a long day. We loved the decor and the space. I'm sure you will enjoy the resort.

Value at AKL is apparently one of the hardest to get as there are only 8 rooms or something similar! And thanks for the positive feedback on OKW - it seems to be one of those places people either love or hate with nothing in between.

Fingers crossed (and :tink:) your DVC picks work out.

What a great trip you have planned...I dont blame you at all for stopping at Universal! Some of us like a little more thrill in our rides on occassion! Enjoy and have safe travels!

Those are amazing looking cupcakes...nice job!

I’m heading down to Melbourne to visit my Mum for Christmas

Nice! Family at Christmas.

I’m flying from Melbourne to Singapore which is about 8 hours of flight time.

That's a bit tougher to drive.

:rolleyes1

I’m looking forward to riding the Battlestar Galatica coaster as it is the world’s tallest dueling coaster.

Cool!

After my two nights in Singapore I will be flying across to Bangkok.
From Bangkok I’m flying out on the 2nd of January for Yangon, Myanmar.
From there I’m flying into one of my favourite cities in the world – Hong Kong.

Whoa. You're a well traveled girl.

Because it is too damn hot at the moment to be baking where I live.

Come on over here. You'll cool off.

It’s currently sitting at around 37⁰C (100⁰F)

Eep! Hot! Hot! Hot, hot, hot!!

and I live in a third floor apartment with no air-conditioning

Ugh. Nope!

Nice! Family at Christmas.

Um...

That's a bit tougher to drive.

:rolleyes1

:rotfl:

Whoa. You're a well traveled girl.

And yet I've never been to Canada...

Come on over here. You'll cool off.

I would if airlines accepted cupcakes as currency - otherwise there is no way I could afford to come over :(

Eep! Hot! Hot! Hot, hot, hot!!

Yep - but other parts of the country are sitting at around 44°C (112°C) so I really can't complain!

Ugh. Nope!

Maybe Santa is going to bring me an air-conditioner?

Oh.

Nevermind.

And yet I've never been to Canada...

Well, you know where you'd be welcome...

I would if airlines accepted cupcakes as currency - otherwise there is no way I could afford to come over :(

Meet us halfway (sort of). Maui. February. DISmeet.
I can see it now.

Yep - but other parts of the country are sitting at around 44°C (112°C) so I really can't complain!

Eep! That's the temperature that concrete melts at.

Maybe Santa is going to bring me an air-conditioner?

65472543.jpg

I hear you on the heat! We will have an above 80 degree Christmas. Shorts for us this week! The mornings have been in the 30s/40s (F) all week and up to 80 by the time mid morning gets here! Can't wait to see pictures from your travels! Stay safe!

Haha I wasn't being specific with a certain skI lodge. I didn't know it was actually built to replicate somewhere! Learn something new every day. I just meant the soaring ceiling, wood everywhere and the huge fireplaces :))

I hear you on the heat! We will have an above 80 degree Christmas. Shorts for us this week! The mornings have been in the 30s/40s (F) all week and up to 80 by the time mid morning gets here! Can't wait to see pictures from your travels! Stay safe!

Thank you! Santa may be bringing me a new camera for Christmas so I'm hoping to be able to take lots of good pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter