I miss the Maelstrom ride so much.

We don't have girls and we don't eat in Norway. No one wanted a character meal thus far.
That's the only restaurant in Norway.

On the topic of maelstrom it's been said that the flume is staying, the unload and load are now combined at the old unload station, the former load section has been changed into an s shape that will make two new scenes for a total of 11 show scenes.

Epcot was not supposed to be a theme park to begin with...

If you go to the parks, all you see is little girls dressed as Elsa. You hardly see any other princess represented anymore, thats a huge factual statement. The Norway pavilion had its day, it used to be nice, but it was never great, a Frozen pavilion has potential to be great. And it will.

Jimmy Thick- If you really want culture, go to Norway, not a theme park pavilion.

I know the history very well...

But Don Tatum authorized construction of a park that combined a showcase for technology and a permenant worlds fair.

Anna and Elsa fit neither...

You should expect more of yourself than that.
Stop making excuses for Disney wanting to sell your kids more crap.

And the difference between this...and the previous character forays - notable nemo and the grand fiesta - is that neither of those involved permenantly destroying the pavilion in favor of a cartoon land.

The sea life is still featured in the living seas...and the Mexico ride still features a travelogue of Mexico.

Even akershus... Which is just a crappy restaurant... Could have aurora taken out of it tomorrow and it would revert to just a crappy restaurant. No harm, no foul.

I heard Len Testa and Jim Hill talk about the Akershus restaurant being converted into an experience more along the lines of BoG at some future date. To me, that would mean converting it into a structure both inside and outside that more resembles the castle in the Frozen film. It will be interesting to see if that pans out or not.

Personally, I feel the ride had to go. It was dated and the mold in the attraction was seriously getting out of control. Frozen is huge, absolutely huge, it needs a permanent spot somewhere and I feel this makes sense. The Norway pavilion is really no big loss, I look forward to what Disney conjures up for Frozen.

Jimmy Thick- The Norway pavilion, just Let It Go...

So do we worry about mold as well for Splash Mountain and many more?

I heard Len Testa and Jim Hill talk about the Akershus restaurant being converted into an experience more along the lines of BoG at some future date. To me, that would mean converting it into a structure both inside and outside that more resembles the castle in the Frozen film. It will be interesting to see if that pans out or not.
Doubtful and we need to put out the typical Jim hill disclaimer on that one

Doubtful and we need to put out the typical Jim hill disclaimer on that one

I actually enjoy Len and Jim's podcasts. I think that Jim seems like a real decent chap and some of the history he goes over in his podcasts with Len is really good.

I agree. They should have put it in the Magic Kingdom or in Hollywood studios.

It probably belongs more in animal kingdom than it does EPCOT...to be honest.

The look of frozen reminds me more of a Russian/Ukranian kinda feel than it does Norway...

But don't let logistics and theme stand in the way of a good character spot...
It's not theme matters that much...

Wait a minute...ohhhh...

Frozen is huge, absolutely huge, it needs a permanent spot somewhere and I feel this makes sense. The Norway pavilion is really no big loss...

Frozen is huge and does deserve some presence in the parks - no doubt. Just not in the fashion/ location that it's being introduced. It makes zero sense in the World Showcase, and this really is a "big loss" because it's a slippery slope. In other words, "what's next"? Tearing down the Forbidden City in China in favor of a Mulan ride? Let's "nix" the Eifel Tower and throw up a Ratatouille attraction smack dab in the middle of France. World Showcase was the one place that adults could escape the Disney-derived fantasy, enjoy a few drinks while "touring the world" and forget about the princesses. If Frozen entering Norway is a sign of things to come, then you can forget that memory of World Showcase, as it will become Fantasyland 2.0 in the not-so-distant future.

So I would assume that this is the same feeling for the boat ride in mexico?

While on the surface, I can see someone making this comparison to what's happening in Norway, but in reality, the 3 Caballeros didn't change a thing about the Mexico pavilion. The spirit of the ride remained the same with the only real change being new narrators. Anna, Elsa and Olaf are entering Norway, dethroning the king and proclaiming the new pavilion as Arendelle. Totally different animal.

Also... The three caballeros reference is misinformed.

Saludos Amigos and the 3 Caballeros were made in the late 1940's to a large degree to foster promoting business, cultural exchange, and travel with Latin America...

The studio was shutdown during WWII...and they emerged looking to find new Things to do. Walt Disney was a big champion of those movies...and the live action/animated crossovers that resulted in Disney's overall best film - Mary poppins - and gave us the forbidden treasure known as Song of the South.

Does that fit with the idea behind world showcase?

Absolutely...

Corny broadway tunes, ice princesses, and joke telling snowmen?

Absolutely not.

My family loved it also and will miss it. I agree with others, Frozen doesn't belong in WS.

Then where does it belong? Norway stopped funding the pavilion years ago and there are already four or five other countries that have character M&G's. Arendelle is based on Norway and the theming is already there. I understand if you don't like the movie, but why should Belle meet in the France pavilion, Alice meet in the UK pavilion, Mulan meet in the China pavilion, Aladdin and Jasmine meet in Morocco, etc.? There is even a bear M&G that no one has ever really heard about. I don't get the similar argument that Avatar doesn't belong in AK....

Then where does it belong? Norway stopped funding the pavilion years ago and there are already four or five other countries that have character M&G's. Arendelle is based on Norway and the theming is already there. I understand if you don't like the movie, but why should Belle meet in the France pavilion, Alice meet in the UK pavilion, Mulan meet in the China pavilion, Aladdin and Jasmine meet in Morocco, etc.? There is even a bear M&G that no one has ever really heard about. I don't get the similar argument that Avatar doesn't belong in AK....
Fantasyland is where it should be. Arrendale is based on Scandinavian culture not Norway specifically. Meet and greets are going to happen but they don't take over an entire pavilion like frozen is. Now for avatar that does belong in AK.

Norway was "funded" by a quasi governmental collective of business interests by multiple countries and it collapsed almost from the start of the pavilion...

Who should pay for EPCOT now?

I got a crazy idea - how about Disney?

And I'm not discounting the burden - I'm recognizing that TWDC is primed to make a ridiculous amount of money across all of its segments for the next five years...starting now (or next Friday...of last year to be most accurate)

All that IP is coming to bear...and I shall not weep for the operation, the stockholders, or the management anytime soon.

Why is Iger still around?
Because they have found el dorado.

Then where does it belong?

Magic Kingdom: Designed and built by WED Enterprises, its layout and attractions are similar to Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California, and is dedicated to fairy tales and Disney characters.
Hollywood Studios: Hollywood Studios is dedicated to show business, drawing inspiration from the heyday of Hollywood in the 1930's and 1940's.
Animal Kingdom: Animal Kingdom holds the distinction of being the first (and only) Disney park to be themed entirely around animal conservation, a philosophy once pioneered by Walt Disney himself.
EPCOT: EPCOT is dedicated to the celebration of human achievement, namely technological innovation and international culture, and is often referred to as a "Permanent World's Fair."

In other words, anywhere but EPCOT.

I know there must be progress but i agree with the OP. I will miss the Maelstrom. I am glad I was able to get my DD 8 on it before they changed it.

For that matter, I was unhappy with the change to El Rio del Tiempo too. Although, the Three Caballeros version isn't too bad...

I too wish they would concentrate on the "Permanent World's Fair" aspect of Epcot. Another country or some rides in the existing pavillions would be a very welcome addition.

-Ghiblifan

Worlds fairs don't move cheaply produced merchandise as well and they'd like.

Chinese bazaars do...

Indeed... The specialized products in the countries was one of the unique features...

Until 15 years ago

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter