I miss the Maelstrom ride so much.

I'll miss Maelstrom too but it's not as unforgivable as getting rid of Horizons or Journey into Imagination but as long as its a good ride I'll be ok.

Link to a Wall Street Journal article about Bob Iger's love of franchises, and frozen, this business centric article reveals the name of the new ride "Frozen Ever After". And has concept art showing the old Maelstrom scene (right were the boats start to go backwards) with Elsa doing "Let It Go"! (Complete using the existing effect the old scene had) The boats are also identical to the old ride in the concept art.

BN-IU134_DISNEY_M_20150605175549.jpg

It's pretty much fits what I heard (an overlay with more projections, and the ride itself being mostly unchanged except for the scenes being redone) There will be Elsa, Olaf, Sven, and Grandpapy Troll animatronics, but likely only Elsa will be "advanced". 30 seconds will be tacked on to the ride, mostly from skipping the old unload and slowing it down a bit through Let it Go.

This ride loaded slow before, and had a fairly low capacity (in the best of conditions) so I'm a bit concerned about the lines for this one. I can see them opening up just this part of world showcase early. Expecting a guest relations nightmare if capacity is unchanged (and it looks likely it won't change).

Last edited:
That's why I said rides that aren't e tickets. E ticket attractions usually don't wear off.
Kind of depends. Consider some of the original E tickets such as Small World and Hall of Presidents. Almost anything that had animatronics was either a D or E ride originally. I think classification as an E ride depends more on the technology or wants of the day. Animatronics was unique in its day, but now it's pretty common place, even pizza places have had it for years. Even though ticket books were long gone when Epcot opened, attractions such as Universe of Energy, American Adventure, and Spaceship Earth probably would have been considered E tickets at the time. Now, it seems that to be considered an E ticket, there has to be a sense of "thrill" to the attraction, whether a roller coaster type ride or something with shock and awe. Will just have to wait and see if today's E ticket survives the test of time.

Link to a Wall Street Journal article about Bob Iger's love of franchises, and frozen, this business centric article reveals the name of the new ride "Frozen Ever After". And has concept art showing the old Maelstrom scene (right were the boats start to go backwards) with Elsa doing "Let It Go"! (Complete using the existing effect the old scene had) The boats are also identical to the old ride in the concept art.

BN-IU134_DISNEY_M_20150605175549.jpg

It's pretty much fits what I heard (an overlay with more projections, and the ride itself being mostly unchanged except for the scenes being redone) There will be Elsa, Olaf, Sven, and Grandpapy Troll animatronics, but likely only Elsa will be "advanced". 30 seconds will be tacked on to the ride, mostly from skipping the old unload and slowing it down a bit through Let it Go.

This ride loaded slow before, and had a fairly low capacity (in the best of conditions) so I'm a bit concerned about the lines for this one. I can see them opening up just this part of world showcase early. Expecting a guest relations nightmare if capacity is unchanged (and it looks likely it won't change).
Also, see http://www.****************.com/new...ts-about-epcots-newest-ride-frozen-ever-after

Is there any doubt this ride will have 120-200 minute waits. Remember when there were waits for Anna/Elsa in Norway that were FIVE hours long?

Frozen fever has cooled a bit, but there's still lots of little girls dying for this ride. You can criticize Disney all you want for putting this in World Showcase, and certainly for the longevity of the choice (though I don't see anyone skipping the Mine Car ride because the IP is 75 years old) - but it's going to be crazy popular short-term, and I would bet will give Epcot a big-time attendance bump. (Though I would bet it will not be new guests, just guests coming from other parks.)

I also agree there's no way they don't open this ride at 9 AM even if the rest of WS doesn't open until 11 AM. (I picture they might open Mexico early as well, to give people something else in the area to do.)

Is there any doubt this ride will have 120-200 minute waits. Remember when there were waits for Anna/Elsa in Norway that were FIVE hours long?

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that we should "expect" 200 minute wait times from a company that just spent **$1 Billion dollars** (Dr. Evil voice) on a crowd management system designed to eliminate these types of bottlenecks, but can't fork over another ~$100K to improve the wait queue / loading area?

The real problem at EPCOT is the loss of direction at Future World. EVERYTHING there is stale. Test Track might be the only exception - it still "feels" right, thanks to its recent refurb. Most of the other attractions need a wrecking ball. ...and this will frequently be the problem in a theme park focused on the future.

Whether or not Disney intends to keep the theme of Future World, Imagineering has a lot of work to do - and a lot of money to spend. IMHO, I think Disney has no choice but to keep the theme of "E.P.C.O.T." and Future World - what else are they going to do??

With the World Showcase, I don't buy this argument that the internet has spoiled the whole concept. Really, the internet should enhance the concept. it's still rare for kids and families to travel to Europe or Asia (not that a pavilion is some kind of substitute). The restaurants are still good, and FUN, and the concept still works. While they are redoing Future World, they could add Brazil, Greece, or Russia to the Showcase and all would feel well there. ...and adding a few rides here and there would actually be nice. Why not add a Mr. Toad Roller Coaster to England? Wouldn't that be a blast?!? ...or a Mulan attraction to China? Just tack them on to the back or sides of the pavilions. It won't hurt the experience one bit - and it would be LOADS of fun. :)

With the World Showcase, I don't buy this argument that the internet has spoiled the whole concept. Really, the internet should enhance the concept. it's still rare for kids and families to travel to Europe or Asia (not that a pavilion is some kind of substitute). The restaurants are still good, and FUN, and the concept still works. While they are redoing Future World, they could add Brazil, Greece, or Russia to the Showcase and all would feel well there. ...and adding a few rides here and there would actually be nice. Why not add a Mr. Toad Roller Coaster to England? Wouldn't that be a blast?!? ...or a Mulan attraction to China? Just tack them on to the back or sides of the pavilions. It won't hurt the experience one bit - and it would be LOADS of fun. :)
I highly disagree. World showcase is supposed to educate people about different countries around the world. Frozen is set in arrendale a fake Scandinavian country. The movie and story doesn't tell me anything about Norway. At least with the gran fiesta tour the three amigos take us through Mexico.

That concept art looks stunning. If the ride ends up being half as amazing, someone with have to start a new thread called "I don't miss Maelstrom at all" :)

That concept art looks stunning. If the ride ends up being half as amazing, someone with have to start a new thread called "I don't miss Maelstrom at all" :)
Concept usually always looks better than what it really is like unfortunately.

Sure, but then the lack of inventory provided additional time for people to "let it go" and lose interest in Frozen merchandise. The movie is that much older in memory, the songs that much more worn, and people are still looking to spend. Granted I don't know how these things usually trend, but that seems pretty good.

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that we should "expect" 200 minute wait times from a company that just spent **$1 Billion dollars** (Dr. Evil voice) on a crowd management system designed to eliminate these types of bottlenecks, but can't fork over another ~$100K to improve the wait queue / loading area?

But won't like 90% of riders have about a 10 minute wait? And 10% 200?

Regardless it will be about a 10 minute wait for us (FP+), 200 aint happening.

Given the shoestring budget that has been given to Frozenstrom, I wouldn't be surprised if Elsa was actually the old Maelstrom troll w/ a Bipity Bopity makeover...

Funny, but pretty unfair. One of the biggest criticisms of the new "Frozen Ever After" ride is that it is "just an overlay". Basically, it is a lot closer to a refurbishment than an entirely new ride. I have to believe the rumored budget for Frozen Ever After is massively more than the planned rehab budget for PoC this summer.

Last edited:
But won't like 90% of riders have about a 10 minute wait? And 10% 200?

Regardless it will be about a 10 minute wait for us (FP+), 200 aint happening.

I will be interested to see how FP's are handled with this new ride and the Tiering system at EPCOT. Will Frozen Ever After be a Tier 1 ride (I assume it will be)? Will you be able to pick 2 Tier 1 rides? Frozen Ever After and TT or Soarin; or, will you still only get one Tier 1 selection and have to choose between the 3? Either way, get your FP selections early, they will go fast and 120 minute will be a given if you don't have one. Capacity will be an issue for this ride.

I think that Drizella, err, Epcot really needed something to rehabilitate it out of ugly stepsister status (like AH and DHS).

The sensible solution that would respect the theme and history of the park would be to add more rides along the lines of Test Track and Mission Space. Thrilling and elaborate. It also would be quite easy to add really good rides to some of the World Showcase pavilions. A state-of-the-art log flume in Canada should be a slam dunk. A couple of dark rides in other countries' pavilions on the scale of Haunted Mansion or Pirates. A tour of Germany in a Mine Train style coaster.

It would be easy ... but it would cost a lot. So Disney decided to take the inexpensive, quickie shortcut of diverting a few million of the excess princess fans from Cinderella's park to Drizella's park.

I'm sure that if I had been presenting this argument to the Disney board, I would have been shown numbers which proved that it was financially stupid to preserve the integrity of Epcot as described. The problem of a completely broken Epcot with no purpose to its existence except for F&W and F&G, after the bump from Frozen subsides to next to nothing, is so far away that it doesn't even bear thinking about. That's like, three years away. And we can always slap in some other quickie thing based on whatever cartoon or TV show is big at the time.

If you really love Epcot you should get over it ... lay a bouquet of flowers on the tombstones at the front of the park and get on with your life. It's not coming back.

Considering the fact that it hasn't done anything but create lines at attractions that previously did not have lines this sounds right in line with the plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter