i might have a new job..... does anyone here work in credit control?

karentan

<font color=green>my main job for tomorrow is to g
we'll i've been working in customer services at a theme park for a year now. i may be moving up to the offices upstairs to do credit control.
i've never done anything like that before and part of me thinks its scary as hell that i'm going to be starting totally from scratch, in a job i have no clue about. but on the other side i'd have kicked myself if i hadnt asked about the job, and its 9 to 5 monday to friday :hyper: with weekends and bank holidays off!!
realistically i know i should be ok in the job, i'm a quick learner and i should be able to do it, but its scary in the sense that i dont have a clue about credit control. i havent got the job yet, but i think its pretty much going to happen. the financial controller is keen for me to go work for her, she's just gotta run it past the MD and the ops director, who both like me so dont think they'll have any problem with it.

does anyone work in credit control, can you give me any more insight as to what it entails?
also just wanted to share, i'm really excited at the prospect of not having to spend another summer getting shouted at by idiots, and for maybe getting weekends to myself!

Never worked in credit control, but I have some experience of what it might entail.
It can vary from company to company dependent on any number of issues. Likely you will be chasing up outstanding money from your debtors, you may well also have work to do with inputting of information into an accounting system of some sort. You may have a number of debtors to look after, or may well have a more general role - just depends on how the company is structured.

I worked in Credit Control for a local newspaper for 12 years and really enjoyed it.

We had to do all forms of credit control from writing letters, phoning and eventually preparing court papers for claims through the small claims court - and liaising with solicitors. I enjoyed the accounts aspect of the job - as we had to do reconciliations etc., and also found it very satisfying when the accounts were up to date. Obviously chasing debts by phone can be quite intimidating and in these current difficult times not sure I would relish the thought of doing that again.

However, I am sure you will be fine and hopefully enjoy your new position

Good luck
Tammy

I work in both credit control & purchase ledger and enjoy both roles.

As people have mentioned above, the role can vary from company to company, it all depends on the procedures they have in place.

I do debt chasing, organise for chasing letters, keep our accounts system updated daily, post payments to ledgers, create invoices & credit notes, send out statements and there's plenty more that doesn't spring to mind right now, but it does keep me busy :thumbsup2

You'll enjoy it - congratulations on your new role!

congratulations Karen :goodvibes

Hope it works out and you get the job and enjoy it!

Congratulations Karen, hope it all works out for you.

Part of my role is credit control. I spend one day a week compiling a report detailing all the debts for the whole of the UK part of the company and fire this out to each branch so they can chase their debts. I have a target to acheived so I have to get all the branches working with me to achieve this.

People think I'm crazy but I love my job and have been with the company for 14 years.

It could be a really good move for you because once you get into the accounts dept you can often see other openings and move around.

Good luck and I hope it all works out. I'm sure once you're shown the ropes you'll be fine.

My tip would be to make friends with all the people who work in the accounts where you're chasing the money. They always have a list of people chasing but I can guarantee they will send to the ones they have a good rapport with first - so get making lots of new "best" friends! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter