I messed up.

alohatok1986

Mouseketeer
I screwed up and wasted 40 points. I put in for a waitlist request months prior to our April trip and didn't see the email come through confirming that we secured the reservation. The worst part is we were there during that time- staying in a cash room while our points wasted away. We are new-ish owners and have not had our first stay yet. I can't help but wonder what exactly happens to a room that is allocated and never checked into. Regardless, once I realized (mid May!) I felt so dumb and beat myself up about it to the point that I couldn't post about it til now. I can't imagine I'm the first person to do that, but I won't make that mistake again.

Ooph I’m sorry.

If it makes you feel better, I did this for a non-Disney vacation when I forgot to cancel a hotel room in Park City… over Christmas week. So painful and dumb.

My husband and I refer to these types of things as “the stupid tax,” and to the extent possible we try to 1) minimize these mistakes and 2) not stress about them after!

Ooph I’m sorry.

If it makes you feel better, I did this for a non-Disney vacation when I forgot to cancel a hotel room in Park City… over Christmas week. So painful and dumb.

My husband and I refer to these types of things as “the stupid tax,” and to the extent possible we try to 1) minimize these mistakes and 2) not stress about them after!
I love the stupid tax idea. Totally gonna write this off mentally lol

I stressed about having multiple reservations on our 1st big trip to Europe and second guessing if I canx everything to the point I couldn't really enjoy myself. I then just told myself, " this trip was way cheaper than an organized tour, and if I missed something, it's the "not paying for a tour" tax!"
It happens. In the future, check your DVC account at 32 days out from a trip and modify/canx any WL (or see that you have WL that were filled and can still canx before 31 days if needed).
40 points over a lifetime of membership is not that much! Enjoy DVC!

I am so sorry it happened to you. Since you never check in, they would have just canceled the room out after a few days. They told me that don’t do anything until after night two.

Sometimes, the DVC emails don’t come or go to junk folder so I always check my account daily when I have a waitlist just in case!

I just assumed the waitlist email would come to my main inbox, so it's good to know that I may need to check the junk folder.

Also, I've seen different responses. The waitlist is not automatically applied ? The woman I spoke to at Member Services made it seem like there was a note they put in the system or something which indicates priority of waitlists and would automatically make the change if availability arises.

Is this not the case?

I just assumed the waitlist email would come to my main inbox, so it's good to know that I may need to check the junk folder.

Also, I've seen different responses. The waitlist is not automatically applied ? The woman I spoke to at Member Services made it seem like there was a note they put in the system or something which indicates priority of waitlists and would automatically make the change if availability arises.

Is this not the case?

The system runs and it creates a match when it notices a room open for which someone has put in a waitlist.

Once it matches, it has to be processed by a CM. They will then book it, or, if it was set to replace a current reservation they will do that.

Waitlists only fill when all the nights match. If you have one for three nights and two nights open up, they won’t fill your waitlist but see if someone else has those two nights waitlisted. If no one does, then they are free for others to book…they do not hold them for you until that last night opens.

It is why many people stalk the website even when they have one because you can sometimes pick up a night on your own and then cancel the longer waitlist and redo it for fewer nights and eventually end up with what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter