I Married The Anti-Mouse

Maggie Ann

Mouseketeer
My DH mentions today that maybe we could look into going away during the Christmas break this year :-)woohoo: collective excitement from the family) and then quickly adds "anywhere but Disney" :-)sad1: collective boos and grunts from the rest of us).

Now I'm not trying to figure out how to change his mind, I just wish he had the Disney bug like the rest of us and stop thinking of Mickey as the "other man". :rotfl:

Has anyone every known a person to grow to love Disney after disliking it so much at first?

Dang. That's a tough one.

While I am the #1 disney lover in my household...and would be crushed to EVER hear "let's do vacation...as long as it's NOT Disney"...I would have to say come to a compromise on the family vacation. When was your last family vacay and where did you go? Perhaps decide on a location you would ALL like to go this year...and then the next vacation is a Disney vacation. Cause, let's face it...Disney isn't going anywhere any time soon. :P

Good luck!

We all LOVE Disney, but we find the Disney Cruises are a good "rest" from Disney. I know that seems weird since it is a Disney Cruise, but it doesn't feel like Disney to us. Sure you see the characters etc, but we go for the level of service and the classiness of the atmosphere. My son goes to the Tween area for most of the day and my husband and I are in the adult area. It is relaxing and definitely does scream Disney. Maybe you could try that route.

I married the anti-mouse too. And then I divorced him. We moved to separate homes and now I love him more than I did before and our relationship is stronger than it ever was. I do not recommend this for everyone, but for us it works. (Disney had nothing to do with the divorce, its just a funny story we roll with).

For me, I know he really doesn't care for Disney so we make the trip long enough that we can do some things he likes too. He is a part of the trip just as much as me and the kids are so its not fair for him to not do anything. He patiently tracks through Disney with me so in return we do things like Sky Coaster, Sea World (he is a thrill seeker) and we are doing US/IOA this next trip.

Also, I have found while you may never convert him to a Disney lover, a little lingerie can go a long way in terms of how he remembers his last vacation. Show him a whole new side of "Animal Kingdom". RAWR!

Disney is VERRRY busy at Christmastime!! I took my kids as a surprise one yr. We went from dec. 26th to 31st.....I'll never go that time of year again! I would go early dec. So, he may be right?;)
how about a disney cruise as a compromise? I am not sure if they have one during your kids break?

Sandy

Our Disney cruise was our "non-Disney" vacation - or so I like to call it!! DH thinks I'm crazy...but it wasn't WDW! It was awesome and we all had a great time.

But yes, DH is not Disney crazy like I am. Hence why I am going on a girls only trip in 53 by myself....with a 4 yr old and 15 mth old!! :laughing:

My husband is also Anti-Disney. His idea of a vacation is going to Washington DA and watching them pass laws...........

So every year the rest of the family (now 2 grown married DD, 2 SIL, and their children) make a trip to WDW and leave my Anti-Disney husband at home to take care of all of the pets.

Oh no! DH must be a bigamist because he owns this title! :rotfl: My solution is to go without him. Everyone is happier...

Maria :upsidedow

Thanks everyone. I don't feel so alone anymore LOL! To be honest when DH mentioned a Christmas trip my first thought was for a beach vacation, I'm just bummed that he always cringes his face every time he says Disney. Oh well, you can't win them all ;)

I married the anti-mouse too. And then I divorced him. We moved to separate homes and now I love him more than I did before and our relationship is stronger than it ever was. I do not recommend this for everyone, but for us it works. (Disney had nothing to do with the divorce, its just a funny story we roll with).I'm so glad that things are working out for you guys!

Also, I have found while you may never convert him to a Disney lover, a little lingerie can go a long way in terms of how he remembers his last vacation. Show him a whole new side of "Animal Kingdom". RAWR!
That is some good advice, will definitely have to keep that in mind LOL!

I feel your pain! MY ex-DH would go to WDW with me and get tired of being at the parks and then decide it was time to leave after an hour or so. It was so annoying and made being there a total let down. It would let him go back to the resort, he would lay by the pool while I spent the day at the parks. It would have been more enjoyable with him and if he enjoyed as much as I did. I did have greater time without his whining! It's not for everyone. But it is for me and my daughter, we try to go every year and have a blast doing so!

I also married the anti-mouse (which strangely resembles growing up as daughter of a different Mr. Anti-Mouse, lol) and as such, last year at 38 yrs old was my 1st trip to WDW. I have learned over the years of marriage and learning to agree, agree to disagree, and trying to master the art of compromise that to vacation separately as well as together as a family as much as time and money will allow is the best way for us to all feel satisfied in our extracurricular pursuits. He goes on fishing or hunting trips, I get girls getaways. He goes on more fishing trips, we (kids and I) go to WDW, or wherever the road is calling us. (lol...he loves to fish...that's what he ALWAYS does for his vaca time.) :) Worked for us in the past, and helps us enjoy our family vacations better because everyone agreed on location and really want to be there, so there is no begrudgingly going along with anyone. I know it isn't feasible for everyone, but we have an rv and camp almost everywhere we go, so we save $$ that way. :)

DH was an anti mouse, but he is starting to come around. I don't really know what changed in him other than seeing our oldest DD and our niece during the last trip. He got to see how magical it really was. We are going back in a few months and while he's not a fanatic like I am he doesn't grunt and groan anytime I say something about Disney!!

I hope he comes around soon!!

Maybe some of these anti-Disney spouses have only experienced the 'longer-than-usual' wait times or were at WDW during peak seasons. So maybe try a weekend getaway with just the two of you during an off season/week.
If that fails, the lingerie idea sounds promising.
Good Luck to you in your conversion!!

I married a disguised anti-mouse! Our first trip together was before we were married and he seemed to like it just fine. No complaints. Of course we were only four months into a new relationship; he was on good behaviour. ;) Then we got married and had our kids and it took years before we were able to afford to go again. The first trip was June 2009 - WAYYYY too hot for his cool northern blood and he was miserable; crowds, heat, general mayhem and said he'd never go back. We tried once more this past January which was much more to our liking climate-wise and much less crowded, and...nope he now says he's been there done it and sees no need to return.

He also is not a traveller period. Doesn't like to be away from his comfort zone and really is a workaholic. I've just finished a successful trip to Boston without him; just my parents and the two kids. Although I did have other adults for "support", I did all of the driving and the luggage schlepping, managed the kids on my own, etc. Nana also taught DS to use the GPS, so now I feel comfortable with the idea of taking them solo next year (funds cooperating). It will be nice not to have him complaining an hour into the parks, as a PP said. We can go and do the parks as all three of us like to and not feel rushed.

It sounds like he does generally compromise enough to let you go to Disney sometimes...so you have to compromise with him this time to do something NON- Disney! :thumbsup2

Now, I love Disney...but there is a whole world out there that you could explore, too. :)

DH was an anti mouse, but he is starting to come around. I don't really know what changed in him other than seeing our oldest DD and our niece during the last trip. He got to see how magical it really was. We are going back in a few months and while he's not a fanatic like I am he doesn't grunt and groan anytime I say something about Disney!!

I hope he comes around soon!!

Maybe some of these anti-Disney spouses have only experienced the 'longer-than-usual' wait times or were at WDW during peak seasons. So maybe try a weekend getaway with just the two of you during an off season/week.
If that fails, the lingerie idea sounds promising.
Good Luck to you in your conversion!!

Thank you ladies for sharing! I'm thinking to that the last time we went both kids were in the stroller and we stayed off-site so we each carried back backs, etc. We are going to Hershey Park for a few days next week (FYI: DH picked Hershey). Maybe he is already coming around ... slowly.

Enjoy your day everyone!

I respect that my husband doesn't enjoy Disney as much as I do and we just swap vacations. One year we do what he wants and another year we do what I want. He doesn't force me to watch every football game on sunday and I don't force him to ALWAYS go to WDW or DLR. Compromise.

Ugh! Mine is even more, he's anti-any theme park! And doesn't even care much for zoos. That is so opposite how I grew up! He wants to leave after 2 hours. He loves outdoorsy type vacations, camping, fishing, the beach. So we just have to do both. Although our children are still young so I often argue that there is plenty of time for national parks and camping once they are old enough to appreciate and enjoy it. At this stage I find running water more convenient and long road trips to be torture. That will eventually change with time.

That would be my dh.

He hated all things Disney when we met. I was 21 & he was 24 almost 25. He had only been to DL.

He happened to be in FL the same time I was in Disney so he drove down & came down, spent the night & went to Epcot with my cousin & I for one day & then left. He hated it.

I finally convinced him to go to WDW in 1995 or 96, a few years after we met. But he wanted to see Universal & Sea World too so we stayed on I-drive for a few days & then the WL. Of course he hated the WL & I got sick on that trip (cold water on Splash Mountain & a chilly Feb day didn't mix well with me).

Then I convinced him a year or two later to go again, my treat (OK the other one was my treat). I took him to the Poly. He actually liked the Poly. We stayed for a week. He learned a few things too from that trip & other trips following all to the Poly:

-he likes Dole Whips
-he likes the monorail to MK & Epcot from the Poly (well the TTC walk)
-he likes Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger spin (OK was that open then? not sure but he did like it)
-he likes Toy Story Mania
-he likes Test Track. He took my dad on it too when I was pregnant with our 3rd child.
-he likes Illuminations & getting a good spot early (OK not sure if he likes it but he tolerates it).
-he likes the following foods-taco salad from Mexico, salad from The Land, turkey leg from anywhere, taco salad from the seasonal place in Adventureland, burgers from Cosmic Rays or (mind drawing a blank) from the other place in the MK.
-margurita from Mexico
-visiting ice station cool & getting a 'free' drink or 10.
-Goofys barnstormer
-a salad & sandwich from Pizzafari
-a frozen choc. covered banana

OK those are just a few things and I know there are more things but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I can tell you he hates the prices of Disney but who does. That is why we aren't going back until 2013 because I want to save up for it (I have one night saved so far).

Oh & in 1999 he did propose to me on the beach on the last hammock closest to the TTC at the Poly.

So yes he hates it but he loves it & he knows I love it as do my kids & he loves us so he just goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter