I love magazine ads from the 1930's

OMG!!!:rotfl:
I bought a DVD of old commericals and I was so surprised to see the cigarette commericals they used to have.

Oh my goodness! I'm kind of obsessed with all things retro, and that is just awesome. Obviously I wasn't around at the time, but that ad looks more late 40's/early 50's. Also - "over-smoked"? Too funny!

I found a few more from the same set:

http://elane.stanford.edu/images/exhibits/tobacco/marlboro/mommyyousureenjoybabyseries5L.jpg

http://truepropaganda.com/EWRT1A_fall06/images/baby.gif

ETA: I did a bit of research and found that it was originally published in the Saturday Evening Post in 1951. (source)

My how times have changed! So I wonder if that was the key to happy parenting, lighting up a Marlboro.

My how times have changed! So I wonder if that was the key to happy parenting, lighting up a Marlboro.

Maybe back then there was a bit more than tobacco in cigarettes. :rolleyes1

OMG!!!:rotfl:
I bought a DVD of old commericals and I was so surprised to see the cigarette commericals they used to have.

I bought a set of those. My son and I crack up at those cigarette ads. "I smoke them because my Dad smoked them" and "Soothing to the throat. It's like a vent"
:confused3

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw an old pack of cigarettes at an antique store. It advertised to be a cure for several listed lung disorders.:sad2:

Well, duh. Of course, they also make giving birth easier since there's a higher risk of low birth weight babies if mom's lighting up. Happy times all around!

(I'm totally NOT a pawn of the tobacco industry. I swear.)

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :sad2:
Seeing a baby on a cigarette ad and especially the Flintstone's clip are deeply disturbing to see... I can't believe this advertising existed! :faint:

I've seen other articles and such from that era that were equally disturbing. Things like advice on how to get your baby to stop crying (maybe it was to sleep through the night?). They advised to firmly smack the baby each time they cried, or something horrible along those lines. We're talking infants here... :sad1:.

Yes, the old ads and baby-raising books are interesting, to say the least. My dad has a baby book from the late 1920's that his mother swore by- it says that parents could toilet train their babies by the age of 6 months by only feeding them on a certain schedule, and setting them on the potty whenever they saw the baby make a 'straining' face. My grandma swore my dad was potty trained by the time he was 9 months old- maybe that's why he is so obsessive and has to save everything now (a bit of psych 101 humor, there).

It's interesting, though, to think of what we are doing now that later in history people will wonder, "What were those 21st century folks thinking?"

Wonder if this was in one of the early editions of Dr. Spock's book about parenting.....

I bought a set of those. My son and I crack up at those cigarette ads. "I smoke them because my Dad smoked them" and "Soothing to the throat. It's like a vent"
:confused3

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw an old pack of cigarettes at an antique store. It advertised to be a cure for several listed lung disorders.:sad2:

Was cancer among those "listed lung disorders"? :scared1:

Lysol used to have ads recommending that women douche with it. :scared1: :scared1:

Ouch! I guess you'd be sterile after using Lysol for that..... :scared:

:eek: What's next? Swiffer Tampons?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We've come a long way, baby! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter