I love just BEING at WDW.

Because we have had APs for the last 2 years and live 90 minutes away we (DH and I) have found there is no pressure anymore to do anything we don’t want to do or rush to do things. We sleep in, get to the parks around 11:00 ride what we can, eat when we want, look in shops for nothing at all. If it is an especially busy day we may not go on any rides, but it’s okay. We may go back at night and go on some. We just walk at our own pace, take pictures and enjoy just being at WDW.
wow, that sounds wonderful

Agreed! The OP is so right:goodvibes

I was raised going to WDW every summer until I was 12. My happiest childhood memories are all over that place. The smell of the hallways at the Poly or the queing area for POTC, the sea dragon hedge out in front of Magic Kingdom, the music eminating all around in EPCOT and the jumping fountains. These things all bring feelings of joy, like Christmas morning...

It's a magical place just as it is:wizard:

you know what else is amazing that most people miss? the last kiss good night. there is never anyone there and it is amazing watching cindys castle change colors and the lil story that goes along with it... AMAZING!!!!

My DH is exactly the same way. He says that he doesn't even need to go to the parks, just hang out at the resorts! (I need to go to the parks, and so do the kids)
It's nice, because now that our kids have been a few times, we just let them lead and do what they want. I, however, dictate where we will eat! :laughing:

I've often thought it would be nice to just go by myself and get to take the time to really "see" everything. There are so many details that we just walk right past. I love the photo threads because they show me the things I missed. I'd like to just meander the world slowly, sit and people watch when I wanted, and not feel any pressure to have to accomplish anything in particular.

I had the same thought when I saw the "FLOP" thread. Through rain, heat, crowds, shut downs, refurbs, etc.., I've never not wanted to be there. It doesn't matter what is happening with the rides, I still love to be at the park. For me, Disney is about so much more than the attractions, just soaking in the presence is wonderful. On all of our trips, I always make time to just sit somewhere and breathe it in. I'd still go without the attractions (given, not every year though).

you know what else is amazing that most people miss? the last kiss good night. there is never anyone there and it is amazing watching cindys castle change colors and the lil story that goes along with it... AMAZING!!!!

Yes, the Main St. Bakery and most of the shops stay open for about an hour after closing. Have a snack and drink, buy some peanut brittle or Mickey Rice Krispy Treats. Then - surprise! - the kiss goodnight. Happened to us last year on our last night, and it was absolutely wonderful. Standing in the middle of Main Street, with about 10 other people, lights twinkling and the castle changing colors. Pure Magic!

ITA. It's not all about the rides for me either.
There is nothing better than riding the boat from Epcot to MGM and back on a nice sunny day. First grabbing a drink to go from Epcot, then just taking in all the sights. The people, the wildlife, the foliage and scenery.....maybe hopping off somewhere between the two parks for another drink... ahhhhhhhhh :goodvibes
I need to go back soon.....

I've never been, but I'm planning my trip to take in all those things. I'm not spending all that money just for the rides. I can do that closer to home!

It's the whole atmosphere I'm looking forward to. :lovestruc Taking time to enjoy the little things. I figure we'll have a much better time that way, than running like a crazy woman wearing out my kids, trying to get in every single ride.

We live pretty far from Disney, so we spend a couple of weeks when we go. That affords us the opportunity to really slow down and take in so much that many people often miss. Like previous posters have mentioned, I love the background music, the good smells...

This past trip, we really focused on noticing little detail in all the parks...in the attractions, the shops, everywhere. Wow! The attention Disney has given to detail is astounding. Another thing that we enjoyed this trip was slowing down enough to talk with many Castmembers. We met so many that were eager to chat awhile.

I just love Disney. It's our "happy place!" :goodvibes

Well, add me to the list of people that totally agree. I especially agree about the ambient music in the parks. It's one of those details that many don't notice. It helps to immerse you in the environment. That's part of the magic to me.

We live pretty far from Disney, so we spend a couple of weeks when we go. That affords us the opportunity to really slow down and take in so much that many people often miss. Like previous posters have mentioned, I love the background music, the good smells...

This past trip, we really focused on noticing little detail in all the parks...in the attractions, the shops, everywhere. Wow! The attention Disney has given to detail is astounding. Another thing that we enjoyed this trip was slowing down enough to talk with many Castmembers. We met so many that were eager to chat awhile.

I just love Disney. It's our "happy place!" :goodvibes
We also try to go down for 2 weeks minimum now to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. I also talk to the cast members to learn where they're from, etc. and sometimes we get good inside information on the park we're in. But mostly, I don't like rushing around just to do the rides - I just enjoy being there and meeting the people.:thumbsup2:cool1:

I travel to Orlando an average of 2x a month usually for 2 nights. Having an annual pass, my rule is if mi can get out of work before 6, take a trip to Disney. (Work is in northeast corner of Orlando by UCF, about 30 miles away)
Often because of closing times, I end up at EP. I have a ritual, must go see family pictures on the monoliths by the entrance, ride Spaceship Earth and head around the world starting at Mexico. I just people watch and love the background music from each country. I will get a drink (soda/beer/margaritta...) and stop in a few countries. If you can stop and close your eyes, the country related sounds and music can give you a great imaginary picture, at least for me. When I go to MK I try to use the parking/ticket center approach since while on vacation there we never go in that way. I try to imagine Walt describing his desire to have you leave a little of daily life behind in the lot, a little more on the tram and then forget it all on the ferry (for me the ferry trumps the monorail for this). Approaching you might here the train whistle, music and just the rumble of the crowd. Going thru the tunnels on to Main Street I can smell the popcorn, and if on the right side Italian food. The lights and sounds just emerse me into my Disney mode as my wife calls it.
I enjoy watching folks hustle about, watch parents and their kids having a great time or sometimes on the verge of "killing" eachother. I like to listen to guests possibly pointing to the Castle, calling it the magic castle, Snow Whites castle, Mickeys house or whatever they believe it is. Some talk about going to the Haunted castle, Ghost House... you get my drift.
I will often offer to assist in taking a picture, we have years of photos with either my wife or me missing. I like to try at least 2 rides, depending on which way my journey takes me.
Dole whips are usually on the agenda but just being in the park does it for me.

I was at HS last night (2-16-10) and it was one pretty crowded and two rather cold, somewhere in the low 40"s by 7. I me t2 freinds and we tried to get dinner at Brown Derby and 50's Prime Time to no avail, but the cm at the 50's called over to Mammas and all was saved with a table ready for us upon arrival. HS does not have the transition areas as clean as EP and MK so there are only a few things that stir my memory/imagination. One is the shouts from TOT the other is the Star Tours music.

Way too much already, but it is for sure that WDW is just full of sights/sounds/smells that have to energize your imagination and at least for me warm my heart with great memories.

most of 2009 was pretty miserable and life changing for me so on this last trip, which was solo, i made it a point to stop and smell the roses and just enjoy all WDW has to offer. what better place to reflect and recover then at WDW!!!

I think i spent more time walking around just enjoying the sights then actually being on the attractions.

yes, a coffee and carrot cake at dusk sitting on the patio at the train station looking at the castle...truly magical

enjoying the streetmosphere at DHS, watching the gorillas for a very long time at AK or sitting with a nice cold Sam Adams waiting for Illuminations to begin at Epcot.

just enjoying it all so much i lost all track of time. the peacefullness and enjoyment helped put me back at ease with myself and all that happened to me. i am now back on track and rolling on with my "Newlife"

i really enjoy being there, the atmosephere is just incredible, if i could only live in cinderella castle that be a dream come true, lol

Agreeing wholeheartedly with most everyone's postings on this thread. . . For years, I remember trying to hit every attraction at least once----not so crazy as to not enjoy the experience, but . . .starting each day on a mission, first in line, etc. This past year we had what may have been one of our very best vacations. . .in fact there was so much we didn't do. . .but we enjoyed it so much more. . .maybe it was just a bit more relaxed. . . granted, we're still one of the first in line. . .but we are making sure to absorb the total experience. . .nothing better than enjoying the music, people watching, soaking in the sun. . .and just enjoying the 'being' of being in WDW:lovestruc

Agree, agree, agree. I've said this to friends for years. I've always thought that if I lived in the area, I'd have an AP and just wander in for dinner, or to walk around for an hour or so.

I did post on the FLOP thread and say that Animal Kingdom was my least favorite Park, but I'll take it over anything non-Disney any day of the year. It's actually very hard for me to rank the Parks... they all have something (or many things) that I love.

I'm very fortunate in that I get to Disney at least once or twice a year, even if it's just for 2 or 3 days. Because of that, I've "seen it all" (or close to it anyway- for some reason I can't bring myself to go to the Princess dining in Norway!). I don't have to worry about making it to rope-drop, or Fantasmic etc... so I seldom plan much beyond some ADR's.

I do understand the people who are having a "once in a lifetime" trip and feel the need to run like maniacs. I was lucky enough to do that in the 70's and 80's. Hopefully those folks will also be lucky enough to be able to go enough where they can enjoy the quieter side of Disney.

I just read some of the Animal Kingdom/FLOP thread and it got me thinking.
As much as I love the attractions I can be happy just taking in everything in a lot of different places in the World-
Standing in the Hub near the Walt/Mickey statue
Having a cold drink in the lobby at the Contemporary
Riding the Monorail or Ferryboat
Wandering around AK or World Showcase or down Main Street
Walking thru the turnstiles at MK and coming out of the tunnel to start a great day
Listening to the background music everywhere you go

Just BEING there is a great thing, IMO.

You nailed it!!!
Something about Disney:wizard:
I think it's just the total immersive experience:love:
Really there is no other place where from start to stop I am so :cloud9:~ I don't know? At peace?
Friends look at us as if we were nuts...they just don't get it.
Why would we go to WDW especially now that the kids have grown?
What can I say:confused3
We :love: our time in the World!!!!

I am even happy just being at DTD :) We were there Tues & Wed. It was cold and my foot was really hurting. Even though we skipped the parks I had a great time being at the Rainforest Cafe, have a brownie sundae at Ghirardelli's, etc. Even going to the movies at DTD seems better then at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter