I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TPG says the new SPG Luxury Card will be available for new sign-ups beginning on August 23, three days before the new restrictions go into effect.

@calypso726, here's your chance.

Right here, right now
I put the offer out
I don't want to chase you down
I know you see it
You run with me
And I can cut you free
Out of the drudgery and walls you keep in
So trade that typical for something colorful
And if it's crazy, live a little crazy
You can play it sensible, a king of conventional
Or you can risk it all and see

Don't you wanna get away from the same old part you gotta play
'Cause I got what you need, so come with me and take the ride
It'll take you to the other side
'Cause you can do like you do
Or you can do like me
Stay in the cage, or you'll finally take the key
Oh, damn! Suddenly you're free to fly

:rolleyes1

Oh man... do I have the bandwidth for another MSR?

I was planning on having DW apply for the SPG Lux under the assumption it would release 8/26, when the new restrictions are in place and I'd be disqualified. But now it seems I have a small window of 3 days to get the SPG Lux for myself (and sign up DW, or possibly refer DW for the SPG Lux later).

I'll be 3 months out from my last hard pull for the CIC (approved) on 8/16, and I'm planning to apply for the Marriott Premier Plus around then. That's another $3k/3 months MSR I've already allocated for.

Between 8/23-25, should I go for the SPG Lux?! Otherwise, I'd be locked out for two years! It's expected to have a 125k Marriott points welcome offer, but a $5k/3 months MSR, and another premium $450 AF.

I'm fine on 2/90. My last Amex credit card was over 50 days ago, and before that was about 108 days ago.

Meanwhile, we've still got $2k on DW's Hilton Biz, and a little over $9k on my Biz Plat.

I need to think about some numbers.

ETA more thoughts: The Marriott Premier Plus would put me at 5/24, and the SPG Lux would put me at 6/24. I have a card dropping off in 12/18, and another in 2/19. My Marriott Biz hits one year in 2/19, and I had planned to cancel it to go for the CIU in 3/19, assuming the CIU still has a decent signup bonus. These MSRs will keep us very busy for the next 3 months, which puts me well into 11/18. Maybe around 11/18, we'll get DW a CIU, SPG Lux or Personal, depending on the bonus offers. Hmmm...

:scratchin

Last edited:

Ok.... can someone repost the link for all of the Starriott category changes? I cannot find it for the life of me, and last time it took me an hour of googling/searching here/travel blogs :sad2: This time I promise to save it on my spreadsheet!

Here's the list of hotels with the new point values: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change

It's not easy to find again, even doing a search with specific page titles and words in the URL it still doesn't always come up in the first page of results. As much as I think the DIS search is flaky, I think it's actually better for finding that URL than Google :laughing:

TPG says the new SPG Luxury Card will be available for new sign-ups beginning on August 23, three days before the new restrictions go into effect.

Right here, right now
I put the offer out
I know you see it
You run with me
And I can cut you free

Or you can do like me

DH really liked the Greatest Showman. This song came up on his playlist on the way to work this morning, and I tried to tell him how we feel it relates to this hobby... he didn't get it :rotfl:
:worship:
Yes, the 2nd one! Thank you!!
It's expected to have a 125k Marriott points welcome offer, but a $5k/3 months MSR, and another premium $450 AF.
Wait why are we expecting $5k? Where did I miss that?

I was planning on having DW apply for the SPG Lux under the assumption it would release 8/26, when the new restrictions are in place and I'd be disqualified. But now it seems I have a small window of 3 days to get the SPG Lux for myself (and sign up DW, or possibly refer DW for the SPG Lux later).

I'll be 3 months out from my last hard pull for the CIC (approved) on 8/16, and I'm planning to apply for the Marriott Premier Plus around then. That's another $3k/3 months MSR I've already allocated for.

Between 8/23-25, should I go for the SPG Lux?! Otherwise, I'd be locked out for two years! It's expected to have a 125k Marriott points welcome offer, but a $5k/3 months MSR, and another premium $450 AF.

I'm fine on 2/90. My last Amex credit card was over 50 days ago, and before that was about 108 days ago.

Meanwhile, we've still got $2k on DW's Hilton Biz, and a little over $9k on my Biz Plat.

ETA more thoughts: The Marriott Premier Plus would put me at 5/24, and the SPG Lux would put me at 6/24. I have a card dropping off in 12/18, and another in 2/19. My Marriott Biz hits one year in 2/19, and I had planned to cancel it to go for the CIU in 3/19, assuming the CIU still has a decent signup bonus. These MSRs will keep us very busy for the next 3 months, which puts me well into 11/18. Maybe around 11/18, we'll get DW a CIU, SPG Lux or Personal, depending on the bonus offers. Hmmm...

Do you think they are overnighting the card? We leave out for vacation on 8/25 and have two nights planned a Courtyard plus one night at a Residence Inn but that is on points.

Goals: Since they are not set in stone, I'm not sure what my next move should be. I have 30k miles in my Delta account and I'm looking into booking a first class flight to Europe next year for the four of us. I love SPG since those points are so versatile.

Congrats on using points for your recent vacation.

I think that barring some amazing offers or having your other family members act as P2/P3/P4 you will not have enough Delta miles to fly Delta One (or United or American) round trip OR one way for four people, especially in summer of 2019. ONE WAY per person United's saver rates would be 70,000; AA 57,500 in business, 85,000 in first class; most of Delta's (delta one) is 280,000 (there is an occasional 82,000 but this is rare). So to get to Europe in Delta One would cost more than a million skymiles...and that's one way! RT can price out less/more reasonablely...I found RT to MUC (since I'm stalking these flights) for as low as 162,000 pp with a 9 hour layover on a Weds-Sat in June 2019. So I guess I'd like to urge caution in planning first/business unless it's an amazing deal (which admittedly happen --albeit rarely).

Considering a "large" group of 4-United usually has some availability, American's is pretty limited and Delta's isn't bad...at 280,000 miles one way. I just went through getting to Europe for 3 of us and that drained the AA miles I'd worked on for two years. Just a one way in Comfort+ for DM and DD is likely going to cost 250,000 skymiles.

Also, and I hate to be a Debbie Downer, often but not always, groups of saver award for more than 1 or 2 are snapped up as soon as the dates are open so if you're thinking May or June...well others have probably done that too (United has released up to 5 July, AA and DL are currently up to 29 June). I'll be staying up until midnight this weekend to see if DL will have any Economy Comfort for less than 125,000pp.

Of course, these are the Big 3 and I'm sure there could be tricks and tips from others flying from a major US city and waiting for a deal and/or flying a different or co-branded aircraft. I'm just urging caution after tearing my hair out planning for 3 people with 2 years of stored up miles and points (and a very reluctant player 2).

Is it worth double the AA miles to fly business for a one hour flight? It would only be an extra 7k Miles one way.

That depends...we flew first on AA and had old planes with no power ports and I regretted the waste of AAmiles. Maybe if you can check seatguru and assure yourself of a new-er/ish plane I'd think it could be worth it to you (or if you're like me and "what's another 7K? I like flying up front!" :) ).

Last edited:
Math is computing... If I get DH a personal card I'm looking at
  • Marriott $95 AF $3k spend total pts 81k+
  • SPG Lux effective $150 AF $5k spend total pts 135k+
I could use the $300 credit for our resort fees in September ($189) and a good chunk of our meal at Shula's - this is money I'm planning on spending OOP currently.

So $55 more AF and $2k more spend for 54k+ more points... seems to make sense.

Do you think they are overnighting the card? We leave out for vacation on 8/25 and have two nights planned a Courtyard plus one night at a Residence Inn but that is on points.

For a $450 AF card, you can certainly ask! But I'm not sure because it is a co-branded card, which can take longer for Amex to verify info with SPG. If you call Amex, and let them know you'll be traveling, they may be able to send it to your hotel. It's probably easier to do this if you apply over the phone, instead of a rep trying to intercept an automated process.

Thanks for your input. I swear every time I look at those charts my eyes cross and roll back in my head! :scared:

Yes on both accounts, only the SPG Biz for me. I might just be paranoid but feel that going for a card in my name at this time would be risking the SW in a few months. I am trying to go slowly and keep us both under 5/24 but I would love to have those extra points! FOMO for sure.

A lot of people are paranoid about this. I think the reality is most people are okay. But who wants to be the exception? Not me!

RTMN DP added a non freedom card to my account and was able to click on Walgreens link even though I used it yesterday with my CF. Looks like you need to wait for offer to be completed before re doing even with a different linked cc because nothing is pending. So for max value you need different logins connected to different cc.

I need some advice - I've kind of got my back up against a wall so to speak...

Last year in August, I applied for Citi TY Premier for DH and myself. I know the annual fee will be coming up soon, and I'd really rather not pay it to keep the card. Two issues: DH's card still has all of the points and DD2 is using the cards while she studies abroad. I could probably get her another card though - I didn't think it through very well when I sent those cards with her :o.

Is there a way to downgrade cards (or at least DH's) so that I don't lose the points and I don't have to pay an annual fee? Or is there another citi card I can apply for that I could earn more bonus points and then transfer his points to that card??

I basically have the same issue (although larger annual fee) with the AmEx Business Gold Rewards card that I opened for myself last August. I know the $175 annual fee is coming up. Similar to above, I haven't used the points. So, I know I could transfer them to use in the future, but is there a way to apply for another card to transfer the points to and/or downgrade to a free card that I could keep the points on?

Not sure if it matters in this discussion, but here are our stats:

Me:
10/16 - CIP - downgraded to CIC 12/17
1/17 - CSR
3/17 - CSP - closed 4/18
8/17 - Citi TY Premier
8/17 - AmEx Business Gold Rewards

DH:
10/16 - CSR
3/17 - Southwest Premier - closed 3/18
3/17 - Southwest Plus - closed 3/18
8/17 - CitI TY Premier
5/18 - Chase Ink Bus Preferred

So, main goal right now is to deal with the Citi cards and the AmEx card. I could live with paying the annual fee on the citi cards if necessary since DD is using them right now (she's using one and has the other as a backup in case something happens with the first one). But, I for sure do not want to pay the AmEx annual fee.

Second goal will be building our UR points back up - we've burned through tons of them this year visiting both DD's as they studied abroad. So, I figure when I get the Citi/AmEx figured out, I'll start working on that.

Thanks for any advice!
Hi, I'm not sure if anyone answered your questions already. So, to keep you points alive for the Citi TY Premier you can either call for a retention offer that would offset the annual fee or you could downgrade to the no-fee Preferred card. Unfortunately, if you downgrade then the points are only worth 1 cent when using toward travel instead of 1.25 cents. Another option is to transfer the points to one of Citi's travel partners, which would be a good option if you think you would get use out of them in this way.

As for your AMEX BGR, I recommend referring yourself to the Biz Green, which waives the AF for the first year. You would earn 10K MR points for the referral and then another 5K or 10K when you make ONE purchase on the Biz Green. This would allow you to keep your MRs safe for another year and earn another 15K-20K MRs! To refer yourself, just copy your BGR referral link and paste it into a new browser. It will bring up the application page for the BGR, but under the "Apply" button, click on "View other cards" and select the link for the Biz Green card. It says the bonus is 5K, but everyone has been getting an extra 5K on top of that, so it's possible to get 10K for that bonus. I believe you have until 8/8/18 for this to work. Good luck!!

Last edited:
:lmao:

OMG I lol’ed so hard. I was thinking, “I gotta get them all” (but not Pokémon) yesterday as I was plotting when to go for the Marriott Premier Plus! I already have the SPG Biz and Personal, and Marriott Biz, and I’ll be shut out of the SPG Lux unless it comes out before 8/26, so I need the personal Marriott to complete my Starriott quadfecta. (I let the Ritz-Carlton slip by or else I’d have a pentafecta. And with the SPG Lux, I could’ve made an Infinity Gauntlet out of those six cards. Or at least close to a free week of stays.)

In two years if the terms don't change, we can both go for the Lux. As far as I can see the only thing preventing it is having the Ritz card in hand after 8/26. My daughter has all 5. And, she will go for the Lux if it comes out earlier. The only way I see to get the 6 nights is for the card to come out a day earlier! Or in my case the 5 cards this year.

The BB&B in the Bay Area carry $25 and $50 Disney Gift Cards if you're headed down this way first. But calling first sounds good. Bring all your cards with the offer on it, make one stop, and do a split tender or multiple transactions. lol!
I've called 3 stores within 25 miles and none of them carry Disney or any other 3rd party GCs besides iTunes. What's up with that? I wish I had time to head down to the Bay Area, but we're just too busy and I'm fighting off a lingering cold that needs to be gone before we head down to Anaheim next week! I think I'll just do another run to Lowe's and Staples to max out the 10% on the AMEX BGR. That's better than nothing!

But who could put a price on this?
Startiott_Infinity_Gauntlet_plain.jpg

The Sheraton is actually where my work conference is! I’ve never stayed there because the rooms sell out in minutes once we receive the email with the conference rate for rooms. I’m not sure what the rooms look like, but the outside has started to look a little dated. Plus not all the rooms are ocean facing. My coworkers never have any complaints staying there though.

I’m almost positive it does. It’s a full sit down place and I’ve gotten salads there before and everything.

It probably has had 2 or 3 updates since my last visit, but I've only been oceanfront there. The rooms were okay, but I find most Sheraton's sort of 'okay'. My favorite has always been Westin. Being a beach property with seasonal high demand, its probably difficult to keep it at optimum.

Right here, right now
I put the offer out
I know you see it
You run with me
And I can cut you free

Or you can do like me

Should DH apply for the Lux? He would have all 5 Starriot cards... :rotfl2::rotfl2: but he hasn't paid for a single annual fee, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter