I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So taking our first Disney Cruise in March. Any downfalls with using Disney gift cards? I am comfortable with doing it at WDW and have done it a dozen times. We have DVC so the rooms are usually taken care of and gift cards are just for park tickets/APs and spending while there. Am I missing something protection wise with using gift cards? I am purchasing travel insurance from a different source.

Agree with @havaneselover , if you need a refund it goes back to the GC. Otherwise I haven't thought of a reason not to do it. The discount on the cruise is enough to sway my risk-adverse hubby into holding large sums of cash in Disney money. Paid for our last 3 with gift cards and used them for on board charges as well. I hit guest services on the first day and load them to the account, but I also know what we're going to spend pretty close now. If you're not sure you'll use all of it exactly, I don't recall how quick of a refund it is back to the card so might be easier to hold some back and pay as you go.

My new CSR came yesterday and I already funded a PNC account and bought some gift cards with RetailMeNot app so I am doing well on my MSR!

I decided to look at my Cabana Bay reservation for our October Universal Trip to see if it would save my points booking through my CSR. Looks like it will save me over 13,000 URs! And I think it is a little nicer room (not totally sure on that, don't really care that much as long as it is a suite that holds all my family!)

Anyway, I have 0 URs on my CSR since it is brand new. My plan is to cancel my trip that I booked with my CIP (so my business login) and then transfer to my CSR (personal login) so that I can book with that.

If I am remembering correctly, the refund is pretty immediate. How long and what glitches can I expect when transferring the points from my CIP to my CSR? I am a little nervous that Cabana Bay will disappear from the site soon (it does that from time to time) or that the price will change or something. Want to get it done as soon as possible!

Would love thoughts/tips. Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan. Every refundable hotel reservation I’ve made on the UR portal, then had to cancel, had the points refunded to my UR account almost immediately. You’ll need to add your CSR as a card you want to transfer to on your CIP. If you have other cards linked to your CIP, that may cause errors. The easiest way around it would be to create daisy chain of linked cards. So your URs would go from your CIP > previously linked card > new CSR. Good luck!

One more thing, remember you have a $300 travel credit that can be applied to any cash portion of travel booked on the UR portal. It’s up to you whether you want to use only points, or you want to pay $300 onto your CSR (which will trigger the travel credit, should count towards your MSR, and I believe still earns 3x UR until later this month [eta yep, 3x UR earning on travel covered by the travel credit ends 8/26].)

Well P2 registered for all 3 races for the Princess Half Marathon weekend, so perhaps meeting MSR on this Ritz organically won't be an issue after all.

Also the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator (personal) is up to 60,000 miles after single purchase + $95 AF. For those of us over 5/24, this is one of the best deals you can get (provided you live near good AA routes).

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barc...elite-mastercard-bonus-increased-60000-miles/

I always pay for my cruise with gift cards (going on number six in less than three weeks!). The only downside in my opinion is if you cancel, you are stuck with gift cards. I've never worried about that because I knew I could just use the refund for another cruise. For Alaska, paying with gift cards probably saved my mom and me about $2000.

Agree with @havaneselover , if you need a refund it goes back to the GC. Otherwise I haven't thought of a reason not to do it. The discount on the cruise is enough to sway my risk-adverse hubby into holding large sums of cash in Disney money. Paid for our last 3 with gift cards and used them for on board charges as well. I hit guest services on the first day and load them to the account, but I also know what we're going to spend pretty close now. If you're not sure you'll use all of it exactly, I don't recall how quick of a refund it is back to the card so might be easier to hold some back and pay as you go.

Thanks for the info! Disney cards wouldn't be terrible to be stuck with between future trips and DVC dues. I may as well go this route. Final payment is December 19th...so I have time.

@miztressuz - So unlike WDW, you can preload gift cards onto your account on the ship and it will just deduct?

My... 8/26 is turning out to be a dark day... new Starriott restrictions go into effect and Chase Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass, price protection, and 3x on travel credit benefits get cut.

Yep, I thought the same thing when I saw the date for the Stariott restrictions. Trying to figure out what's so magical about 8/26 that Chase decided should be the day of reckoning. End of a fiscal year maybe? So all contracts with the insurance co's and partners reset? Dark day indeed, depending on what else pops up between now and then, it might live in infamy like 5/24.

Thanks for the info! Disney cards wouldn't be terrible to be stuck with between future trips and DVC dues. I may as well go this route. Final payment is December 19th...so I have time.

@miztressuz - So unlike WDW, you can preload gift cards onto your account on the ship and it will just deduct?

Yep, just did it in January. I can't see it changing any time soon because if you set your account up as cash, you literally have to deposit cash that first day. So the system is already setup to accept advance deposits. I can't remember the reason why they stopped letting you do it at the parks, but I think because of how the ship has to operate it's still good there.

Yep, just did it in January. I can't see it changing any time soon because if you set your account up as cash, you literally have to deposit cash that first day. So the system is already setup to accept advance deposits. I can't remember the reason why they stopped letting you do it at the parks, but I think because of how the ship has to operate it's still good there.

I assume because you can use cash anywhere but on the ship it looks like you can only use the key card. Thanks!!

No. Well, we board as family usually, between groups A and B. It isn't hard for us and at least the first half of the B group. Not sure after that. Kinda depends how many families board before your group.
I have never purchased EBCI. You will be fine to sit together if you check in at 24 hours. You just will probably be towards the back of the plane.

This drives me crazy about Southwest which is why i rarely fly them. Have a flight with them later in the month though
because it was cheap. Im a nervous wreck thinking we arent going to sit together. My husband says just pay the
EBCI. I want to save that. So the key is to set alarm and be logged in ready to go?

Hello, everyone. I'm back from a 14 day trip to San Diego/DLR/LA. After hemorrhaging $$$, but having a great time AND saving thousands of dollars by using my SPG / Jetblue / United points (even flew home first class which was such an INCREDIBLE experience I never want to go to the back of the plane again!) It's time to ask for advice on my next credit card move.

Goals: Since they are not set in stone, I'm not sure what my next move should be. I have 30k miles in my Delta account and I'm looking into booking a first class flight to Europe next year for the four of us. I love SPG since those points are so versatile.

What should my next move be? Thanks so much!

Within 24 Months Me:

1 - Chase Marriott Premier Plus upgrade May 2018

Hilton Amex Business (5k min spend) May 2018

2 - Chase Marriott Dec-17

3 - Chase Unlimited Dec-17

SPG Amex Business Nov-17

4 - Barclay Jetblue Nov-17

5 - Chase United MPE Nov-17

6 - Chase Sapphire Preferred Jul-16

7- Bank of America MC Dec-16

Beyond 24 mos Me:

Amex travel card opened more than 24 mos ago

Chase Disney opened more than 24 mos ago

Within 24 Months husband:

Chase Sapphire Preferred Jan-18

Chase Sapphire Reserve Jan-18

Barclay Jetblue Dec-17

SPG Amex Business Mar 18

Chase Marriott Premier May 18 (5k min spend)

Amex ED Pref opened more than 24 dos ago

First thing’s first. Have you applied for any new cards in the past 31 days?

Second thing. Let’s figure out your next move here before you fill out any applications. DO NOT sign up for anything until we have a plan for you!

Third. Your timing is good because there are elevated offers out on Amex Delta cards right now, but there are also massive changes coming to the Marriott and SPG cards in the next 2-3 weeks as they begin finalizing their merger, and this might be your last chance to get certain Marriott/SPG cards and their bonuses before new restrictions go into effect on 8/26/18. So you may need to prioritize which is more important to you, Delta miles or Marriott/SPG points?

Fourth. Part of prioritizing is figuring out how much spend you have coming up in the next 3 months. If you have quite a bit of spend, you may be able to get 2 or more cards, but we’ll need to figure out which and when depending on the timing rules for application.

Weren’t you thinking of getting the Marriott Biz? Is that something you’re still interested in? Because you may only have until 8/26 to act. Again, even though there’s a certain time sensitivity to all this, it’s not like you have to apply today or tomorrow — SO DON’T until we’ve helped you figure out your next move(s).

This drives me crazy about Southwest which is why i rarely fly them. Have a flight with them later in the month though
because it was cheap. Im a nervous wreck thinking we arent going to sit together. My husband says just pay the
EBCI. I want to save that. So the key is to set alarm and be logged in ready to go?
Yes!! I have everything setup 10 minutes ahead of time and then I just keep smashing refresh starting a minute before the 24hr mark. Don't use a clock that your husband set...it could be off by a couple minutes!! Use a cellphone or computer that sets automatically.

Am I crazy? I swear I saw a post last night with a link to sign up for some SW email list for bonus points. I wasn't home at the time so I was coming back to look for it and now I don't see it.

I assume because you can use cash anywhere but on the ship it looks like you can only use the key card. Thanks!!

Pretty much. They have started allowing you to use GC's in the on board shops directly, rather than having to use your key, but otherwise everything is your key card.

Am I crazy? I swear I saw a post last night with a link to sign up for some SW email list for bonus points. I wasn't home at the time so I was coming back to look for it and now I don't see it.

I'm guessing it was a targeted offer? I checked all of our SW accounts too and no one in my family has a similar offer.

The Amex Platinum $200 airline fee credit, the Amex Premier Rewards Gold's ("PRG") $100 airline fee credit, and the Amex Hilton Honors Aspire's $250 airline fee credit are supposed to apply only to incidental charges like checked bags and in-flight amenities, not airline tickets. However, buying a gift card on AA, Delta, or SW up to certain denominations is known to trigger the airline credit reimbursement. For Delta, you can buy up to a $50 gift card in one transaction and do it in however many separate transactions as you need to max out the credit; for AA, the maximum gift card value per transaction is $100; and for SW, buying a $200 gift card works on the Platinum's $200 travel credit, and I believe you can even do a single $250 gift card on the Hilton Aspire.

Two caveats: (1) the airline fee credit only triggers when you are purchasing a gift card for the airline you selected in your member benefits, so you need to make that selection when you first get your card, in January, or leave it from year-to-year. This is a calendar year benefit that resets every January 1. You may be able to chat/contact Amex to request to change your airline selection if you "forgot" to change it in January and you haven't yet used any of the credit for the year. (2) Of the airlines selections on Amex, this only works on AA, Delta, and SW. I recall United used to have a TravelBank gift card registry that worked, but it went down in late 2017. Hawaiian Airlines gift certificates used to work, but that also changed sometime in late 2017. Because things can change, it's always recommended to check the latest data points on places like FlyerTalk before buying a gift card if you expect to see a reimbursement.

One last thing, there are scattered DPs that cheap flights, like under $100, may get reimbursed under the Amex airline fee credit, but they can be hyperspecific blips to the more general pattern above.

Thank you soooo much! We have AA selected since my DD flies back and forth with them about 5 times a year. I'll have to look into this. We've been wasting much of the credit. I am not happy with AA and how they've treated her, but there aren't many non stops to choose from (and I hate United).

So taking our first Disney Cruise in March. Any downfalls with using Disney gift cards? I am comfortable with doing it at WDW and have done it a dozen times. We have DVC so the rooms are usually taken care of and gift cards are just for park tickets/APs and spending while there. Am I missing something protection wise with using gift cards? I am purchasing travel insurance from a different source.

You can also put some GCs on your on board account if you want to use them for your onboard charges.

Select AA, Delta, or SW for your airline credit benefit, buy gift card(s) to trigger the $200 credit, and it codes 5x MR for (free) 1,000 MR.

I am learning so much here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

My... 8/26 is turning out to be a dark day... new Starriott restrictions go into effect and Chase Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass, price protection, and 3x on travel credit benefits get cut.

I must have missed that about the 3X travel? What's happening? We are planning to pay for a hotel overseas in 2 weeks, using the CSR for the extra travel credits (and to help with that MSR). And another one on 8/29 but that one will be put on the AMEX (FHR reservation) so I guess we will be ok with the first one. But things are changing during our trip and it would be good to know which card to use overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter