I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I got approved for CIP on 6/6. When is the earliest I could apply for these to give myself the best chances of being approved? If I can get Personal at 50k and Biz at 60k I would be so pumped!

Since you want the companion pass for 2019/20.. and Chase says the MSR has to be complete 3 months after opening the card so you want to complete it in January 2019.. ideally you want to wait until October the earliest to be completely sure..

Last edited:
So with everything changing, not sure if I have the right numbers but I saw that 70,000 Marriott points = 25,000 SW. Marriott worth about 0.9 cents and SW worth about 1.5 cents. So if my calculations are correct you are trading $630 worth of Marriot for $375 worth of SW. Seems like it is not worth it. But do you have plans soon for those Marriot points? If you don't, then maybe worth it to you. I understand wanting to book SW on points. Have none myself right now and looking at a flight I want to book. I can transfer my URs but not sure I want to on a maybe/maybe not trip.
That is a big difference in value, but I don't currently have a plan for my Marriot points. Maybe I can try to find a really good Southwest GC deal. Does that work the same when making a change as a cash flight? My plan was to book early, when the schedule is released, and then rebook if and when the price goes down.

That is a big difference in value, but I don't currently have a plan for my Marriot points. Maybe I can try to find a really good Southwest GC deal. Does that work the same when making a change as a cash flight? My plan was to book early, when the schedule is released, and then rebook if and when the price goes down.

Yes using gift cards works the same way as cash...the price difference gets attached to the confirmation number and passenger...and has to be used 12 months from the original purchase date

I need some advice for an MR newb. There is a 30% transfer bonus for MR to Virgin Atlantic until 9/12. I don't have any MR earning cards yet. We just finished DH's CIP min spend, and I was planning on cooling it with the new apps for a while and focussing on earning UR, but this promo could really help me to get closer to covering 2 RT J seats on ANA for Japan next year. If I put in an app for something today, is it possible that I might have MR in place to transfer to Virgin in time after meeting the min spend? How long do they take to post? What are my options for getting a decent bonus ASAP with around a 2K min spend? I can't do more than that in such a short span of time. Business cards would be preferable because of 5/24 but not mandatory.

Since you want the companion pass for 2019/20.. and Chase says the MSR has to be complete 3 months after opening the card so you want to complete it in January 2019.. ideally you want to wait until October the earliest to be completely sure..

Adding to this @DrFacilier,

Chase usually gives 115 days from card opening to meet MSR, but you should always send an SM to Chase to ask when the deadline is to meet the required spend so you have it in writing. As you probably know, for the CP, the 110k RR points have to all post in the same year. Chase typically posts the signup bonus at the close of the statement after you’ve met MSR, so you don’t want to hit the spend too early and risk the points posting in 2018.

Adding to this @DrFacilier,

Chase usually gives 115 days from card opening to meet MSR, but you should always send an SM to Chase to ask when the deadline is to meet the required spend so you have it in writing. As you probably know, for the CP, the 110k RR points have to all post in the same year. Chase typically posts the signup bonus at the close of the statement after you’ve met MSR, so you don’t want to hit the spend too early and risk the points posting in 2018.
Thanks! I get everything that has been mentioned. My remaining question is how long do I have to wait between chase credit card apps? If I applied in late May for my CIP. 4 months? 5? 6? I believe I’ve heard that 3 is too short. Thanks.

75ish is a perfect small contract - enough to get about 3 nights most of the year and with banking and borrowing double that. And with another resale contract you could do whatever you needed to. October is also my use year - perfect!

Small contracts are also usually easier to sell and are usually worth a bit more. (If you get to the point where you don't want to do Disney.)

And the best feature - rent them out at a profit if you can't use all your points! I did this one year when I had to cancel a trip one year and got enough to cover all my dues with half my points left over to use myself.

Yes, I am hoping the small contract is a great intro to DVC (while also getting the direct benefits) and be an attractive resale option if I ever did want to sell down the line. Fingers crossed it works out! I am hoping the points/return I can get with it on a credit card or multiple cards helps bring that price per point down closer to what I see some resale ones going for on the ROFR thread :)

In the previous posters situation, he could cancel and reapply, get the $200 bonus and then charge his down payment or entire purchase, depending on his credit limit.

So, doing the math on the bigger picture as a one time thing it could work out better than csp, but you are being rewarded in Disney dollars which a dvc member will find a way to spend.

I would have to figure out which other Chase cards I will apply to first to stay within the 5/24. I am glad I am 30 months past my Rewards Visa opening date. My current plan is to use any of the rewards dollars from the 2% on DVC dues haha

As you’ve found out there are a lot of great Chase cards to earn UR on...you know about the 5/24 rule...also watch the timing of applying for cards...Chases allows you to apply for 1 business card in 30 days...2 personal cards in 30dYs but most here recommend spacing out applications 3 months apart....if you have a significant other....it’s recommended not to add them as an authorized user but to have them open their own cards and you earn bonus URs for each person

Thank you for the timing information. I will go look at all the benefits of the cards and make a game plan :thumbsup2

I need some advice for an MR newb. There is a 30% transfer bonus for MR to Virgin Atlantic until 9/12. I don't have any MR earning cards yet. We just finished DH's CIP min spend, and I was planning on cooling it with the new apps for a while and focussing on earning UR, but this promo could really help me to get closer to covering 2 RT J seats on ANA for Japan next year. If I put in an app for something today, is it possible that I might have MR in place to transfer to Virgin in time after meeting the min spend? How long do they take to post? What are my options for getting a decent bonus ASAP with around a 2K min spend? I can't do more than that in such a short span of time. Business cards would be preferable because of 5/24 but not mandatory.

I don’t think there’s enough time. The transfer bonus ends 9/12/18. That’s in a little over a month. Although Amex welcome bonuses generally post within a few days of meeting MSR; if this is your first MR card, your welcome bonus may not post until the close of your second monthly statement.

I don’t think there’s enough time. The transfer bonus ends 9/12/18. That’s in a little over a month. Although Amex welcome bonuses generally post within a few days of meeting MSR; if this is your first MR card, your welcome bonus may not post until the close of your second monthly statement.
Ugh, thanks. I'm partly bummed and partly relieved to be honest. :rotfl:

Thanks! I get everything that has been mentioned. My remaining question is how long do I have to wait between chase credit card apps? If I applied in late May for my CIP. 4 months? 5? 6? I believe I’ve heard that 3 is too short. Thanks.

There’s no hard rule to shutdowns, but if you’re going for a double dip, give it as long as you can from your last application in May. 3-6 months seems like a good range.

I’m pretty sure others here have applied for another card 3 months later...I’m planning on applying for the CRS later this month and I opened the CIP in May....if your,thinking about squeezing in another Chase card before applying for the SW cards I wouldn’t recommended it

Also when you apply for,the SW cards...apply for and get approved the business card first ....then apply for the personal card

Last edited:
You can make reservations without having the points, I would probably reserve both hotels for now, until you decide where you really want to stay.

But what an awesome trip!
I had to start booking stuff on Sunday because the SANParks tent camp we want to stay in opened up for July 2019 reservations last week. I watched the June 2019 dates fill up so fast. I didn't want to chance not getting the tent size (with 4 beds) we need. I also booked Shindzela, the all inclusive safari camp for two nights. Then I reserved 5 nights at the Protea Hazyview Hotel with points and booked a London House Hotel family suite for 2 nights. The Protea Paul Kruger Hotel has not been available for my dates on points even at the 50 week mark. I'm going to keep checking regularly to see if anything changes.

Since I have started paying some non refundable deposits, I bought trip insurance through insure my trip to cover the deposits. I'll add the flights when I book them later. I checked the Marriott Premiere Plus travel insurance first, but it didn't cover everything we wanted (medical and trip interruption).

I think I'm going to charge the rental car to the Skymiles AMEX and pay the $19.99 per rental period to get the AMEX primary insurance. It will be must cheaper than adding the car to the trip insurance I bought or to the car rental agreement. I never buy the rental car insurance, but since we will be driving around elephants, I think it's a good idea.

Anyone have any tips about getting a rental car with credit card points?

Realized I made a couple dumb dumb mistakes with cards while on vacation. First of all, I forgot the $50 Uber GC I bought :sad2: Left it sitting in my car after I parked at IAD. I'm going to attribute that to arriving at the airport at 4:15 AM. I honestly never use Uber so I have no use for it now. Recommendations on which website to use to sell it? Alternatively, is anyone here interested? I'd be willing to to sell it discounted to someone here if anyone is comfortable with that.

I was smart enough to put my CIP in for the Uber ride back to LAX last night in the hopes that it's 3x travel. Of course, I should've used DH's CIP since he has a -$25 balance on his card right now. Oh well.

I've been waiting on a $600 charge to come through on my Hilton Amex which should finish my spend. I checked today and the charge is pending on my CSP. I emailed the company and they said their QuickBooks must have had my CSP saved and it billed that instead of my Amex. They're checking into it and are going to let me know.
I made a few mistakes like that in the past week or 2. Went on a road trip yesterday. Bought GCs at Walgreens (5xUR) for McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts. Forgot restaurants are Discover 5% (double first yr, so 10%)
Then went out to eat and did the same. Doh

I made a few mistakes like that in the past week or 2. Went on a road trip yesterday. Bought GCs at Walgreens (5xUR) for McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts. Forgot restaurants are Discover 5% (double first yr, so 10%)
Then went out to eat and did the same. Doh

Yeah, and after I wrote all that out I realized I could've signed up for Lyft, probably gotten a first ride discount, and used my CF for 5x UR :sad2: I've got some serious Disney brain going on over here.

Unrelated, but already experiencing the joys of Citi IT. Activated my card and then tried to register for my online account. It kept asking me for my security word, but gave no prompt for that was and I had never created a security word since I was still on the same page for creating my user name. Had to call to get it straight :sad2:

So I messaged Citi about getting my 50,000 AA miles +$200 offer for $2500 MSR matched to the 70,000 offer. The rep said he would escalate it to rewards but that if they match it to the 70,000 miles then I will have to spend $4000 in MSR. I thought everyone was just getting the match for the lower amount. I guess I'll see what the rewards person says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter