I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exciting, the DOUBLE DIP! I was thinking for awhile that I would just stay LOL/24 forever and not worry about the Chase cards, but seeing your success and with all the talk about the CIP, CIC, double dipping, etc, makes me want to dial it back a bit and see if I can get back under 5/24 in the future. I'd have to solely concentrate on Biz cards until March 2020, but maybe I can do it!! DH would be under 5/24 in Oct 2019, but he's still a fairly reluctant P2 so not sure I can push him in the double dip direction yet. You give me hope though!!
LOL! And reading about all your fun with the Amex cards has me wondering if I will ever get back under 5/24 for more Chase cards :) I just love this 'hobby' no matter how it's done!!

I signed up for Plastiq (yes used referral) and scheduled payment. It is set for automatic ACH withdrawal on Friday. I did it as ACH because when I entered the recipient that came up as an option, but now I am wondering if I messed up. When do you know a Plastiq payment fails? Is it when you initially schedule it or when the system tries to make the payment? If it fails do you get an email? Sorry dumb questions but just wondering if I should mess with it now or just be patient.

The bill isn't technically due until November (equity loan I have pre-paid) so I have time to wait and see what happens. I am just anxious to see if it will work!

Are you paying with a CIP? If so, I'm surprised Plastiq's payment flow allowed you to even schedule the payment, because if you try to submit a Visa payment for a real estate-based debt, it should reject the payment. This is especially true if you've selected a recipient already in their system, because presumably Plastiq knows the nature of the payments that recipient receives, and if those payments fall within a restricted category for Visa and Amex. For restricted payments, it's usually advised to create a new recipient that will be paid by check so it doesn't match the info already in the system, which may have been blocked from receiving Visa or Amex payments.

I signed up for Plastiq (yes used referral) and scheduled payment. It is set for automatic ACH withdrawal on Friday. I did it as ACH because when I entered the recipient that came up as an option, but now I am wondering if I messed up. When do you know a Plastiq payment fails? Is it when you initially schedule it or when the system tries to make the payment? If it fails do you get an email? Sorry dumb questions but just wondering if I should mess with it now or just be patient.

The bill isn't technically due until November (equity loan I have pre-paid) so I have time to wait and see what happens. I am just anxious to see if it will work! Good to have the October WDW trip paid for with UR's but my poor depleted UR stash is making me sad! :(
If the system catches a problem when you are scheduling the payment, it will tell you. There are some here who have gotten emails after the payment appeared to be good with plastiq that they could not pay that way. Any 'questionable' payments (ala mortgage...), I only pay when I want it to pay immediately. No scheduling out for me on those.

Now why'd you go and mention ANA again just when I was set on not pulling the trigger on a 5th Marriott travel Package? Suddenly another 132,000 United miles seems like a good plan B. Sigh ...

i thought we were talking about Membership Rewards Points... i may have mistaken...

LOL! And reading about all your fun with the Amex cards has me wondering if I will ever get back under 5/24 for more Chase cards :) I just love this 'hobby' no matter how it's done!!
I know, I totally love it too!! Really, who am I kidding, it would take a tremendous amount of will power to get back under 5/24. Too much FOMO around here, lol! It's a worthy goal though!

Are you paying with a CIP? If so, I'm surprised Plastiq's payment flow allowed you to even schedule the payment, because if you try to submit a Visa payment for a real estate-based debt, it should reject the payment. This is especially true if you've selected a recipient already in their system, because presumably Plastiq knows the nature of the payments that recipient receives, and if those payments fall within a restricted category for Visa and Amex. For restricted payments, it's usually advised to create a new recipient that will be paid by check so it doesn't match the info already in the system, which may have been blocked from receiving Visa or Amex payments.

If the system catches a problem when you are scheduling the payment, it will tell you. There are some here who have gotten emails after the payment appeared to be good with plastiq that they could not pay that way. Any 'questionable' payments (ala mortgage...), I only pay when I want it to pay immediately. No scheduling out for me on those.

I am paying with the CIP. Loan is with my credit union. My mortgage is also with the credit union but it has a different address and a different type loan number. Payment on the loan I scheduled is just my account number...similar to how a car loan would look. The payment is going to Utah where I am at but the mortgage goes to Texas (weird enough). I guess I will just be patient and wait and see what happens Friday if it works or not. Yet another reason to look forward to Friday. :)

I didn't schedule my mortgage yet. I guess when I do that advice is to just enter recipient and if the system recognizes address don't recognize it, just type it out? And then send check right then without a recurring payment? Is that right?

Thanks guys. I have put off doing this forever and now I decided to do it I really want it to work!

@speedyfishy and @Albort - Xfinity sent me a $250 debit card from Metabank for the cell phone promotion rebate when I got my Samsung.

Is this something I can turn into a money order at Walmart or other store such as Giant or Safeway and then deposit in my bank account? It has my name on it and $250 printed in the right corner.

I know I can just spend it but you get no points for spending it outright.

I've been eyeing cruises and reading up on the RC ships ever since we were chatting about it a couple of weeks ago. It won't happen for a bit but I'm so excited to get to take our first cruise! My aunt suggested Harmony (I think). Have you guys been on that one?
Oops, we did the Allure in April 2017 and had a great time. It’s actually the Oasis with the great price last week of Aug. We’re eyeing either the Harmony or Symphony of the Seas for next summer. They are HUGE ships with so much to do. We did the Western with RC but enjoyed the ship on port days since we had just done the Western with Disney in the previous fall. We did the MyTime dining but ended up going basically the same time every evening and asking for the same wait team since we liked them our first night. The kids clubs are much more broken down by age and less hours than Disney but DS who was 10 at the time still enjoyed them. Getting to the port in Ft. Lauderdale is super easy. We went down early and did a couple of nights at the Marriott on the beach and then moved to the Embassy Suites for the night before we departed since it was closer to the port. We’ve only done balcony rooms which are nice and, of course, now I can’t imagine doing an interior or overview.

Ha! Yes, the alcohol is a new addition this year and is what is making me reconsider the math of buying DDP. Looking at the menus of the places we are interested in, plus considering we're hoping to go during F&W, it looks like we could come out slightly ahead paying with points vs. out of pocket. I think it'll all hinge on what food and DDP prices are like whenever we are able to book, plus whatever our non-Disney travel plans at the time are. It's too far out to make a firm decision, but I was wanting to gather people's DPs on this particular type of redemption :)

I'm definitely interested in this strategy, so thanks for hunting down those old comments! DH has a CFU and I'm hoping he'll be up for getting a CF eventually, but I can't count on him being willing to be a P2 beyond that. I'll need a lengthy cooling-off period after my planned Sapphire double-dip in March-ish but I'll be at 3/24* after that and so I'm not sure if I should go for more personal cards or the other Inks (should have CIP and SW Biz by that point). I'm not super interested in any hotel- or airline-specific cards, since I like maximum flexibility in booking lodging, and domestic flights should be covered for a while with my SW cards. Any thoughts on how to balance velocity with Chase with this strategy and if one can/should sprinkle business card apps into the mix?

*Well, technically 5/24, but business cards don't *add* to 5/24, they just are subject to it, right? So I could still get a biz card after the Sapphire double-dip, because I'll only have three personal cards at that point, correct?
In terms of balancing velocity...AMEX biz cards can help. Alternating apps between players definitely helps too - this so-called "strategy" doesn't necessarily make it a good one for everybody either. For those that are faster churners it may not work. For people who only plan to get 3-4 cards a year and have a Player 2...it can really be lucrative! It can also just be a card you stick in there when you're in between large spend. OR with the CF you could pick a quarter that is attractive (i.e. groceries or Gas) and max that out.

Update on my Marriott Travel Package FOMO:

DH decided (yes, the man actually made a decision) that we should go to New Orleans over Memorial Day weekend next year. I requested the Friday before Memorial Day off to give us 4 nights away. I figure 4 nights is close enough to 7 nights and didn't mind upgrading and using a 7 night certificate for the trip. So, one of the TPs is upgraded and attached to a reservation in N'awlins! CEMETERIES and FOOD! Two of my favorite things!

I haven't been to New Orleans since a Mardi Gras trip when I was in my 20's. The only travel hacking I did back then was sneak the van we were all sleeping in into a Holiday Inn Parking garage to use as our safer and less conspicuous accommodations for the week. Oh look, an emoji of nearly 50 year old me looking at 21 year old me o_O

Anyhoo, we got our flights booked and are all set to go! I gotta find out if there is such a thing as cemetery walking tours.

Last edited:
@speedyfishy and @Albort - Xfinity sent me a $250 debit card from Metabank for the cell phone promotion rebate when I got my Samsung.

Is this something I can turn into a money order at Walmart or other store such as Giant or Safeway and then deposit in my bank account? It has my name on it and $250 printed in the right corner.

I know I can just spend it but you get no points for spending it outright.

Visa? Shouldn’t have a problem at grocery stores with your name on it. Safeway by me is cash only. Walmart normally doesn’t care to check the card, but MasterCards can be tricky.

I also booked the hotel for the spring break ski trip I promised DH in compromise for sailing DCL again so soon. Used hilton points for that. Will grab flights next month when SW opens them up.

Now I need to get to work on my next cc opening plans to restock!

Isn't it amazing that with this hobby the compromise for taking a trip is to take another trip? :rotfl2:

Catching up on the thread so don't know if this has been answered or not. Call 800-321-7396. When prompted about why you are calling say "transfer reward points" then when prompted again say "Something else" that will get you to the right person.
Thanks! I did manage to get my one lonely little package. Maybe it can hang out with a few of your packages for companionship.

Wish I had known this last weekend when we bought ours. I didn't read through @peel's experience but thinking we had a similar one from the chatter I did catch. It took three calls, also was on hold each time for about 25 mins and then disconnected, spoke to several reps who had no idea how to help me...all said and done was well over an hour, and a lot of irritation on my dh's part...made him hang with me because they are his points.
Ugh, I'm sorry you had a similar experience to mine. How is it acceptable that the average wait time for customer service in a multi billion dollar business is over 30 minutes if they manage to not drop your call???

Daughter got her approval for the Ritz card. Both of us got a call from the Chase fraud department. I guess either because we both have a lot of Chase cards - 7 for me and 8 for her, or, we applied from a different area - we were out of town?

Literally 32 minutes ago.

And then:

Congratulations on a successful double dip!

pixiedust:party:party:pixiedust:

P.S. As you may have read, Chase has been manually reducing credit lines on newly approved cards following a double dip. If you see that ginormous credit limit get slashed, don't worry, you've still got your cards and you'll get the two signup bonuses if you meet MSR. Chase is just mitigating their risk.

I know, right?! I've realized I have a pattern in my posts here.

Hey guys, I have a question...OH NO! EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE THE SKY IS FALLING AND I MESSED EVERYTHING UP!...Oh wait, no everything is great, Yay!!

I *may* be somewhat prone to dramatics. :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter