I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it your SPG? I think mine is being delivered today too (the day after I spent $303 on concert tickets :-( )!!
Yes it was!! I was paying the bills I'd been waiting to pay late last night practically giddy to finally get started on the spend & worried they'd come due before my new card made it. But it worked out in my case. $303 on concert tickets missed by 1 day?! Ouch!

Question for the CC experts here.

Partner and I have approx $11,000 left on a mortgage (6% int). my initial thought, transfer to 18 month existing card and pay off. it will save $ on the interest even with the fee.

2nd thought, should we get new cards and use for spend bonus, but then we are limited to plastiq limits (MC, Amex, Discover). MC and AMEX have good cards for bonus points, but I don't see any for Discover really. If we do that, it means 2 or more new cards in a short period. We are both 780 plus and around 4/24.

thoughts....

Partner and I have approx $11,000 left on a mortgage (6% int). my initial thought, transfer to 18 month existing card and pay off. it will save $ on the interest even with the fee.

2nd thought, should we get new cards and use for spend bonus, but then we are limited to plastiq limits (MC, Amex, Discover). MC and AMEX have good cards for bonus points, but I don't see any for Discover really. If we do that, it means 2 or more new cards in a short period. We are both 780 plus and around 4/24.

thoughts....
With $11k left...it seems your remaining interest is probably less than $1,000. I'd assume the fee will eat up a portion of that savings - this would be up to you but are you sure it's worth it to save that little money? Also if for any reason you didn't pay it off in 18 months there's a huge risk of large amounts of interest.

Regarding the new cards - I'm not sure if you're asking in relation to the mortgage or just in general if you should be opening new cards for bonuses. If you're saying just in general to open new cards for regular spend to earn bonuses...well YEAH That's basically what we do here sooo yeah we probably all think THAT is an awesome idea ;)

Last edited:

Thanks for this idea, this is definitely worth checking out! I love the Express pass too, that's the main reason I'd like to stay at RP. We stayed one night before and it was really nice, although it was freezing cold and we didn't get to use the pool! I looked at the AP and since our trip is in June, it seems like I could get the cheapest AP - the Seasonal pass, which I believe is only $30 more than the 2 day park-to-park ticket. I also called to see what the room discount would be but the discounts weren't available for June yet, the latest they had was March. I'll keep checking on this though. It looks like I could also get a discount on my family's tickets if I got the annual pass. If so that would help save even more. I'd really like stay two nights to get to enjoy the hotel and have a more relaxing time at UO, we've only done one day before and always feel rushed. I know we could just stay one night to get the EP, but then it feels like you're barely in the room at all.

I started a thread on the Universal Resorts board a few years ago that's still going strong...it's sort of a crowdsourced watchdog thread for Annual Passholder hotel discounts. It's regularly updated, although the release dates for AP rates are not as cut and dried as they used to be. I would suggest reading through the first post and the last handful of pages, and subscribing to it so you'll get the latest updates.
I started buying one seasonal annual pass per year to take advantage of the room discounts, which have been substantial. We always go in January, which is off peak, so I've never had to worry about blackout dates. Last January we got an AP rate of ~$200 for Portofino, which was less than RPR. I'd gladly stay there again!

@peel?

I think @wendow got the 75k MR offer. Was it for a $5k or $10k spend?

I was thinking it was @peel also. 5k spend.

I would be interested if no one else is. That's a great offer!

@Angrose beat me to it :-)

If you decide not to use it, feel free to pass it on to me. Thanks!

It was me--thanks for thinking of me, folks! I ended up going for the SPG Biz and I can't meet all that spending at once, so have at it, @Angrose or @calypso726!

Last edited:
What are the pros/cons to combining my chase business card and personal cards in the same online account?

Looks like I'll be paying for braces soon, time to find a new credit card if I'm going to have all that spend :) I'm thinking the AmEx SPG Biz but I need to check with the orthodontist's office to make sure they accept it first. Plus I'll get reimbursed out of my FSA so double win!

Looks like I'll be paying for braces soon, time to find a new credit card if I'm going to have all that spend :) I'm thinking the AmEx SPG Biz but I need to check with the orthodontist's office to make sure they accept it first. Plus I'll get reimbursed out of my FSA so double win!
I was so bummed when I tried to pay for dd’s braces last March with my new personal spg Amex because they don’t take Amex. Then I panicked and used my Costco visa for 1%??? I meant to use my cap 1 card for 1.5%. Luckily I reimbursed myself from my HSA. At least I know when ds gets his not to be trying to meet an Amex minimum spend.

The places that don't accept AMEX frustrate me too sometimes, haha! Considering that we've been focused on AMEX primarily for the past 18 months it has been difficult/annoying at times. Hopefully your Orthodontist will accept it!

With $11k left...it seems your remaining interest is probably less than $1,000. I'd assume the fee will eat up a portion of that savings - this would be up to you but are you sure it's worth it to save that little money? Also if for any reason you didn't pay it off in 18 months there's a huge risk of large amounts of interest. True!

Regarding the new cards - I'm not sure if you're asking in relation to the mortgage or just in general if you should be opening new cards for bonuses. That's basically what we do here sooo yeah we probably all think it's an awesome idea ;)
- But, if we open new cards strictly to move mortgage balance over to cards (and gain bonus), we will most likely have to use balance transfers anyway (fees) and pay the plastiq fees. I do not think this is a good plan.

- But, if we open new cards strictly to move mortgage balance over to cards (and gain bonus), we will most likely have to use balance transfers anyway (fees) and pay the plastiq fees. I do not think this is a good plan.
Oh yeah - I'm not saying paying the mortgage is necessarily a good idea. I'm saying that around these parts opening cards, putting regular spend on them and earning bonuses is a good plan. I edited my previous comment to reflect that, lol.

Anyone have experience with disputing a charge on CSP (or I guess any card) with Chase? I've never disputed a charge with any card before and just didn't know if there was anything I needed to know/if I was wasting my time.

its pretty simple. I had my CSP swiped at a Subway for $30. I was in bed still and saw it. I called Chase immediately, they stop my card and told me they send me a new one. After that, a $600 charge for LegoLand tickets came in, i called chase again, they said they know and there is nothing to worry about. When the new card came, every got corrected. Easy process makes your mind calm. :]

thoughts....

I dont think you can do what your trying to do. Moving your mortgage from company to CC doesnt work that way. they see mortgage as a different kind of debt. which is why Visa and Amex doesnt allow using their credit cards to pay for mortgage. Only Mastercard and Discover has not said anything about it yet.

What are the pros/cons to combining my chase business card and personal cards in the same online account?
Pro: everything is on one screen. You can see everything.
Con: you will be using the old layout, not the new one. Although your old personal login will still work and show the new layout. Ppl has issues with Chase Pay but it works fine for me, if it doesnt work for you, there is always the personal login available to use.

its pretty simple. I had my CSP swiped at a Subway for $30. I was in bed still and saw it. I called Chase immediately, they stop my card and told me they send me a new one. After that, a $600 charge for LegoLand tickets came in, i called chase again, they said they know and there is nothing to worry about. When the new card came, every got corrected. Easy process makes your mind calm. :]

I dont think you can do what your trying to do. Moving your mortgage from company to CC doesnt work that way. they see mortgage as a different kind of debt. which is why Visa and Amex doesnt allow using their credit cards to pay for mortgage. Only Mastercard and Discover has not said anything about it yet.

Pro: everything is on one screen. You can see everything.
Con: you will be using the old layout, not the new one. Although your old personal login will still work and show the new layout. Ppl has issues with Chase Pay but it works fine for me, if it doesnt work for you, there is always the personal login available to use.

I have used Plastiq for bonus spend on barclay MC so I could use them for a new MC offer. in the past, I did one mortgage payment per month. do you think it would raise a flag if I posted $3K at a time?

You could lose ChasePay access. A small section of people with combined accounts can't make ChasePay work and Chase IT hasn't been able to help them.

This happened to us, but they did fix it. When we finally reached the correct Chase department (Business technical support), they were able to separate Business/Personal for us. Now I have a personal login (works with Chase Pay) and a business login and shows both business/personal.

Don't forget parking in your budget if you get a car at lax. Some hotels charge, some don't, up to $20/night.

A lot of hotels also charge resort fee. its pretty bad. i was paying a $104 room with $54 fee(parking $32+resort fee $22). I was lucky at check in, they waived my resort fee.

I have used Plastiq for bonus spend on barclay MC so I could use them for a new MC offer. in the past, I did one mortgage payment per month. do you think it would raise a flag if I posted $3K at a time?

MC allows it, you should be fine by the increase. If its visa/amex, you might get it rejected but its YMMV.

I've read mixed information about whether double dipping a business card and a personal card on the same day results in just one hard pull; some people claim Chase pulls separately for a business line than for a personal line of credit.

Regardless, your idea is sound.

Start applying early during regular business hours of a non-holiday weekday.

Apply for the SW business card first because Chase has an informal 0/30 rule that denies approval for a business card if you've had any other credit card applications with Chase in the past 30 days. Make sure the business card is approved before you go for the personal card. If you aren't auto-approved and perhaps got the we'll let you know in 30 days message, call the automated status line at 1-800-432-3117 after an hour to check the status of your application. If you still aren't approved call recon at 1-888-270-2127 to get it approved.

After that first card is approved, use a different internet browser or an incognito window for the second application for the SW personal card, otherwise Chase may combine the apps thinking they're accidental duplicates. If it isn't auto-approved, call the automated status line after an hour, and if you still aren't approved call recon to get it approved.

If you want to double dip and possibly combine hard pulls, make sure this is all done on the same day.

Ok, I wanted to follow-up to let you how this turned out...I applied on-line this morning and got the "we need to think about it and we'll get back to you within 30 days" message. I waited about an hour and a half and then called the automated status line and got the "7-10 days message". So about an hour after that I called recon and was told that I was denied due to too many cards opened in the last 24 months.

I currently have the Marriott, Freedom and CSP which were all opened in 2017. I have been saving my last two spots for the 2 SW cards to get the companion pass. I have 3 AmEx cards all of which were opened in 2015 & 2016. When I asked the rep about the denial reason she read off the 2 AmEx's that I opened in 2016 as part of the "too many in the last 24 months". I asked about the inclusion of the AmEx's in the 24 month timeframe and she stated that its all cards in the 24 month period.

Has anyone else heard this? I thought that 5/24 just applied to Chase cards? Do you all have any thoughts about this or should I just change my plan and move onto other cards?

Thanks!

Ok, I wanted to follow-up to let you how this turned out...I applied on-line this morning and got the "we need to think about it and we'll get back to you within 30 days" message. I waited about an hour and a half and then called the automated status line and got the "7-10 days message". So about an hour after that I called recon and was told that I was denied due to too many cards opened in the last 24 months.

I currently have the Marriott, Freedom and CSP which were all opened in 2017. I have been saving my last two spots for the 2 SW cards to get the companion pass. I have 3 AmEx cards all of which were opened in 2015 & 2016. When I asked the rep about the denial reason she read off the 2 AmEx's that I opened in 2016 as part of the "too many in the last 24 months". I asked about the inclusion of the AmEx's in the 24 month timeframe and she stated that its all cards in the 24 month period.

Has anyone else heard this? I thought that 5/24 just applied to Chase cards? Do you all have any thoughts about this or should I just change my plan and move onto other cards?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, 5/24 refers to all cards, not just Chase. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter