• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So keep changing plans on what card to get next. DH will be 4/24 in January. Already have CSP/CSR. Running low on SW Points so figured I would start there. ( I have the companion pass for 2017/2018 and DD is listed as my companion right now). So, thought I would start with SW Business at 60,000 Points. Will it work then if in February I get another Business card like CIP or Marriott - because none of these will count against the 5/24 correct. Then maybe after those spends are made get a Regular SW card (and hope they are back to 50,000 points at that time).

Will that work or will Chase not give out 2 Business Cards close together like that ( I know to wait 30 days).

Booked a point break hotel for 5,000 ihg points during the last point breaks deal. Picked the Holiday Inn Princeton south for the day before New Years for a staycation. Imagine my surprise when I got a call today that I received a complimentary upgrade to the Crowne Plaza Princeton which is a nicer hotel with an excellent buffet breakfast. Merry Christmas to me.

Last edited:
If DH pays his business expenses himself and then gets reimbursed for them from the co, does that count for using a business card or does it have to be your own business? If you can’t tell, I am still scared to apply for one. Lol

If DH pays his business expenses himself and then gets reimbursed for them from the co, does that count for using a business card or does it have to be your own business? If you can’t tell, I am still scared to apply for one. Lol
Technically, a business card is for a business owner and their employees. So no I don't think that technically qualifies.

With the Marriott card, how long is the annual free night certificate good for and can it be used on SPG properties?

:cool1: Returned car rental on 17th, same day for new TC on csr- didn't show till the 19th, posted on 18th... tc for 2018 used!!!! (Dh card) perfect timing... used 1/2 of tc on my csr at dolphin on food and fees.... happy dance!- I posted a while back about those close dates for return/new statement date...relieved! Weird posting of charge tho- we picked up car on 9th, CSR cc on rental- returned at about 3 pm on 17th, and....nothing. No pending, nothing. Took 2 full days to see the full charge appear. Strange. (but I'm happy,was trying to keep costs way down this past trip)

Last edited:
With the Marriott card, how long is the annual free night certificate good for and can it be used on SPG properties?

It's based on your account anniversary and good for a year. Ours just expired on 12/1 and on 12/1 the next year's certificate became active. Haven't tried to use it on SPG, I would think no though as I think they're still separate. Maybe next year?

Anyone want to help me pick our next cards?
We have CSR (opened last Jan)
CSP(open for a while don't use)
Southwest visa (opened for a long time. My DH and I both have one)

Was thinking about downgrading the CSP for the freedom
Closing the southwest cards and reapplying to hopefully get the companion passes. How long do we have to wait after closing to apply again?
We mainly fly southwest, however we want to go overseas soon so I would consider signing up with a different card.

Does anyone know if both you and your spouse can apply for the Ink business card?

I currently have the 100K American express offer, but I don't know if I should signup for it. Thoughts?
Any suggestions? We have quarterly taxes and other big expenses coming up soon so we can meet the spend on pretty much anything.
Thanks

Will that work or will Chase not give out 2 Business Cards close together like that ( I know to wait 30 days).
I received two business cards with Chase back to back. Southwest business end of Sept and CIP beginning of December.

I received two business cards with Chase back to back. Southwest business end of Sept and CIP beginning of December.

Thanks. I think we may go that route then so we can still get some more cards but they won't count against the 5/24 once we get them.

Closing the southwest cards and reapplying to hopefully get the companion passes. How long do we have to wait after closing to apply again?
We mainly fly southwest, however we want to go overseas soon so I would consider signing up with a different card.

Does anyone know if both you and your spouse can apply for the Ink business card?

I currently have the 100K American express offer, but I don't know if I should signup for it. Thoughts?
Any suggestions? We have quarterly taxes and other big expenses coming up soon so we can meet the spend on pretty much anything.
Thanks

I did the close SW and reopen for companion pass game for DH not long ago...I think I waited 60 days or so. Probably more than necessary, but I knew he wouldn’t call recon if it was denied so I just waited to avoid anything happening.

Same (except, SW biz in Oct, CIP just a couple days ago). With the CIP app, I got the message to call in ASAP. I ignored it and waited, approved 4 days later without calling.

Thanks

few questions, what destination are u wanting to fly to? What is your home airport?
How far are u on your 5/24?

Thanks

few questions, what destination are u wanting to fly to? What is your home airport?
How far are u on your 5/24?
I agree with Albort on the 5/24 question - for anybody to give good advice, the most helpful information would be to list every card you've been approved for in the past 24 months with approval dates. You also use the terms "We" here. We really need information separated by spouse, because if We (you) got the CSP and We (him) got the CSP that could change the advice. I love to try to help people, but this is one of the reasons it can be difficult because you need so much information to actually give helpful advice.

To answer a few of your questions:
1) you could literally reapply the next day after cancelling a card and it has worked for some people but the common advice I see is to wait 30 days (and I always have done that when churning a card).
2) Both you and your spouse can apply for any card separately that you want, to my knowledge there are no credit card offers out there that would be a one per household sort of thing. Your credit reports are entirely separate
3) That Amex deal is awesome but can be hard to justify using a 5/24 slot...but it sounds like you have 2 player mode at your disposal so a lot to consider here.

DS10 has his first credit card! Now to make a purchase with it so I can receive the additional 7,500 Marriott points :)
Please don't throw hate at me, but I'm surprised to see this and the likes. What are your reasons for getting a card in your kids' names, other than points? I'm guessing you have to also be a co-signer on the account, which would reflect in your credit score. Are there specific cards to look for? My DD is is 17 and this would be a good step to help her build credit (which I've discovered is quite a pain to do solo).

I agree with Albort on the 5/24 question - for anybody to give good advice, the most helpful information would be to list every card you've been approved for in the past 24 months with approval dates. You also use the terms "We" here. We really need information separated by spouse, because if We (you) got the CSP and We (him) got the CSP that could change the advice. I love to try to help people, but this is one of the reasons it can be difficult because you need so much information to actually give helpful advice.

To answer a few of your questions:
1) you could literally reapply the next day after cancelling a card and it has worked for some people but the common advice I see is to wait 30 days (and I always have done that when churning a card).
2) Both you and your spouse can apply for any card separately that you want, to my knowledge there are no credit card offers out there that would be a one per household sort of thing. Your credit reports are entirely separate
3) That Amex deal is awesome but can be hard to justify using a 5/24 slot...but it sounds like you have 2 player mode at your disposal so a lot to consider here.

To answer some questions:
The only card we have gotten in the last 24mo is the CSR last January (I added my DH as a assoc. so just 1 card. I know now not very smart) So we would each be 1/24.
We want to travel to N.Europe, Asia, and Caribbean. Pretty much anywhere. Our 20th anniversary is in 2019 so we want to go somewhere for that.
We live in the middle of WI so we can use Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. It's a 2-3hr drive anyway we go.
We do not travel for business, so earning points that way doesn't work.
We have a big family so when we travel it's 9 airplane seats, usually 2 hotel rooms(3 in Europe).
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter