I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been thinking that once I'm back under 5/24, I'd re-apply for the CSP, get the sweet sign-up, and have a way to transfer all the UR points I earn with Freedom and Freedom Unlimited to travel partners.

But, newbie that I am to this game, I just discovered the Capital One Venture card last night. That...seems...like a really good card for me. 40,000 mile sign-up bonus, flexible and only $59 annual fee (waived first year). Oh, and 2X miles for every purchase.

And not subject to 5/24, so I shouldn't have to wait as long to get it (though I've got some min spends to knock out before I'd consider it, of course).

Am I missing something?? This card seems kind of superior to CSP. AND it's metal! :)
My travel partner and I just did this card also. Using it to pay our Disney trip balance and that will net us at least $400 in points on each card towards the balance.

I was going to go for the CIP, but that goes into the "grey area" and I just was not comfortable.

There's not a lot of talk about Venture, but its definitely an option!

I tried researching which stores currently accept Android pay and did not come up with much at all. Not worth downloading my cc info one more place.

Yes, it's definitely YMMV. You might look up the other digital wallets too. Apple Pay might be more widely accepted. I saw on one website that Walt Disney World and The Disney Store accept Apple Pay. A couple years ago, the place DH bought tires accepted Apple Pay and they were not on any list. I'm thinking of using it at ToysRUs for Gift of College cards...

Yes, it's definitely YMMV. You might look up the other digital wallets too. Apple Pay might be more widely accepted. I saw on one website that Walt Disney World and The Disney Store accept Apple Pay. A couple years ago, the place DH bought tires accepted Apple Pay and they were not on any list. I'm thinking of using it at ToysRUs for Gift of College cards...

What is the fee on those cards?

$5.95 on a variable load $25-$500 GoC at TRU. Looks like you can also buy direct online on GoC website but the fees are higher, e.g. $3.95 on a $25 card, $5.95 on $100-$200.

Yes, I looked online and the fees seemed to outweigh the benefit for the online cards. But with CSR, $17.85 in fees on $1500 would be a net of $12.15 on 2x or if redeemed for travel, then it is $27.15 with the extra 50%. Still would be a much better deal to use it on a bonus category, since 4x with the 50% bonus is $90.

I have a BoA Royal Caribbean credit card. It is my oldest card and there is no annual fee, so I have kept it but I don't do much spending on the card in general since the benefits are terrible. I got a letter in the mail mentioning that I haven't been using the card much and asking me to call so we can discuss:

"Opportunities to start to earn or enhance your rewards"

Any reason not to call in and see what they might be able to offer me? I doubt it will be good enough to get me to put much spend on this card, but I do have a RC cruise scheduled for next October, so anything I earn I could redeem towards my cruise cost or for onboard credit.

Looks like BOA has put in new approval restrictions. known as 2/3/4 rule.
Churning has become a tough hobby now...

I have a BoA Royal Caribbean credit card. It is my oldest card and there is no annual fee, so I have kept it but I don't do much spending on the card in general since the benefits are terrible. I got a letter in the mail mentioning that I haven't been using the card much and asking me to call so we can discuss:

"Opportunities to start to earn or enhance your rewards"

Any reason not to call in and see what they might be able to offer me? I doubt it will be good enough to get me to put much spend on this card, but I do have a RC cruise scheduled for next October, so anything I earn I could redeem towards my cruise cost or for onboard credit.

Well, I called. It was kind of a strange call. The rep was very nice, but she didn't offer me any kind of promotional rewards to get me to use the card. I explained to her that some of my newer cards just offer better rewards, so I haven't really been using the BoA card. I thought this might prompt some kind of increased earnings offer, but nope, nothing. Oh well.

Well, I called. It was kind of a strange call. The rep was very nice, but she didn't offer me any kind of promotional rewards to get me to use the card. I explained to her that some of my newer cards just offer better rewards, so I haven't really been using the BoA card. I thought this might prompt some kind of increased earnings offer, but nope, nothing. Oh well.

That is pretty odd--it seems like a waste of time (theirs and yours) to send you a letter and then talk to you, if they weren't going to actually offer you something to try to get you to use the card. I probably would have just said, "so why exactly did you send me this letter and tell me to call you?"

My dh's SW premier card is 4 years old. I am wanting to cancel it (AF just hit) and get AF back. Then early 2019 I will apply for both Premier and Plus for him and hopefully be able to get the CP.

Anyways, he will be 3/24 this December and I'd like to apply for him the CIP. Will closing a 4yo card ding his credit score badly enough to affect the CIP app in Dec? If we need to keep the SW premier open until after applying then I guess it is *only* $99. But since the plan is to close that card, I'd rather do so now.

Thanks for any thoughts!

That is pretty odd--it seems like a waste of time (theirs and yours) to send you a letter and then talk to you, if they weren't going to actually offer you something to try to get you to use the card. I probably would have just said, "so why exactly did you send me this letter and tell me to call you?"

I think they were trying to pitch the use of the balance transfer service, honestly. They asked me pretty quickly if I was paying interest on any other cards. I said that I never carry a balance, so I never pay interest. After that, it was mostly about the "1 point per dollar" earnings potential to use on an upcoming cruise. Yeah, no thanks.

Heads up Sapphire card (all forms) holders! Extra 1UR up to 1500 bonus UR points for using digital wallet payments from 10/4 - 11/4. I think it might be possible to get it for both CSP and CSR if you have both. Either designate one card per form of digital wallet, or spend $1500 on one card and then update your wallet to the next card.

https://www.chase.com/digital/digit...let?jp_cmp=cc/103017/ema/EM07850/Body_Image_1
I'm a little slow here...I've only used chase pay for online purchase- would I download one of these apps in my phone to use in store?

Thanks.... I figured I had to go research it after I asked...:rotfl: I know -backwards.... does anyone know if Boardwalk ticketing categorizes as a travel purchase?say for a BOA card?

I see the Amex SPG Business 35,000 Starpoints offer is back: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/credit-cards/starwood-business-credit-card

• 25,000 points after $6,000 in spend within the first 3 months
  • An Additional 10,000 points after an additional $4,000 in spend within the first 6 months
  • Valid until November 1st, 2017
  • Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product
  • Annual fee of $95 is waived for the first year
  • No foreign transaction fee Boingo internet access for up to four devices
  • Premium in room internet at all SPG hotels
  • Earn 2x points on all SPG purchases
  • Earn 1x points on all other purchases
  • Comes with Sheraton Lounge Access
  • Has reciporcal earning with Marriott/Ritz-Carlton
h/t DoC

This would be a good card to apply for if you're over 5/24 with Chase, or not wanting to waste a 5/24 slot or waiting to get back under 5/24 because it won't count against your recently opened accounts on your personal credit report.

ETA: I'm really considering applying for this offer even though we're still working on meeting MSR on my wife's CIP, and the plan was to keeping putting our big recurring expenses on the CIP through Plastiq for 3x UR while the getting's still good. We don't have too many expenses left that don't already earn some kind of bonus on one of our cards.

Last edited:
I'm a little slow here...I've only used chase pay for online purchase- would I download one of these apps in my phone to use in store?

If you have an iPhone, you can use it in Apple Pay for the points. I believe you have to have an iPhone 6 or higher (I have a 6S and just set up my Apple Pay). I wasn't impressed with the list of stores that take Apple Pay, but I think there are more that take it that just aren't listed online. I went into Ulta last night and saw that they use Apple Pay.

I see the Amex SPG Business 35,000 Starpoints offer is back: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/credit-cards/starwood-business-credit-card

• 25,000 points after $6,000 in spend within the first 3 months
  • An Additional 10,000 points after an additional $4,000 in spend within the first 6 months
  • Valid until November 1st, 2017
  • Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product
  • Annual fee of $95 is waived for the first year
  • No foreign transaction fee Boingo internet access for up to four devices
  • Premium in room internet at all SPG hotels
  • Earn 2x points on all SPG purchases
  • Earn 1x points on all other purchases
  • Comes with Sheraton Lounge Access
  • Has reciporcal earning with Marriott/Ritz-Carlton
h/t DoC

This would be a good card to apply for if you're over 5/24 with Chase, or not wanting to waste a 5/24 slot or waiting to get back under 5/24 because it won't count against your recently opened accounts on your personal credit report.

ETA: I'm really considering applying for this offer even though we're still working on meeting MSR on my wife's CIP, and the plan was to keeping putting our big recurring expenses on the CIP through Plastiq for 3x UR while the getting's still good. We don't have too many expenses left that don't already earn some kind of bonus on one of our cards.

I know it is a business card, but $10k is such a high spend requirement for 35k SPG points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter