I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started dipping my toes into the reddit thread for churning. Lots of great info- but yikes! I already have 1 "karma" and -1 "comment karma". So glad we can't get down voted over here!

They're brutal over there! I now have enough karma to post a few of my referral links, but it took me a long time to get there. Honestly, saying something funny will get you way more karma than asking a legitimate question.

Yes!! They can be pretty brutal over on reddit. I have noticed what gets up-voted is generally funny/sarcastic type comments. I definitely shy away from posting any of my own threads and just stick to commenting to ask questions or help others with their questions. The churning subreddit is a wonderful wealth of information though - just not anything like this thread here.....LOL.

Yes!! They can be pretty brutal over on reddit. I have noticed what gets up-voted is generally funny/sarcastic type comments. I definitely shy away from posting any of my own threads and just stick to commenting to ask questions or help others with their questions. The churning subreddit is a wonderful wealth of information though - just not anything like this thread here.....LOL.
I'll occasionally answer a question in the Newbie/Questions thread, but my biggest karma count came from calling someone "Jake from State Farm" after he said he bought a bunch of khakis with his lost baggage reimbursement. Even then, I knew I was taking a huge risk by posting that. :rotfl:

I'll occasionally answer a question in the Newbie/Questions thread, but my biggest karma count came from calling someone "Jake from State Farm" after he said he bought a bunch of khakis with his lost baggage reimbursement. Even then, I knew I was taking a huge risk by posting that. :rotfl:

Haha!! Sounds about right. I got most of my karma from commenting on a post about how friends and family react to this hobby.

Couple of quick questions.

Is there a trick to get targeted for the IHG 100K offer?

What is this 2/30 rule I see some discussing? I'm at 3/24 right now, so is the wife. Looking to add a couple new cards and long term thinking IHG to have points to spend at Intercontinental resorts outside the US.

If I already have the CSR, which I currently intend to keep long term, does it make sense to get the CSP? If so, do you just drop it to a Freedom at 12 months, even if you already have a Freedom card?

What is this 2/30 rule I see some discussing? I'm at 3/24 right now, so is the wife. Looking to add a couple new cards and long term thinking IHG to have points to spend at Intercontinental resorts outside the US.

If I already have the CSR, which I currently intend to keep long term, does it make sense to get the CSP? If so, do you just drop it to a Freedom at 12 months, even if you already have a Freedom card?
On the CSP/CSR issue, my plan is to downgrade CSP. Just got it for the 50k points. If you already have Freedom, I think you could PC to Freedom Unlimited.

u can apply for 2 cards in a 30 day period. yes. drop the CSP to a freedom. do u have freedom unlimited? u can get a second freedom and maximize the categories u are good at like grocery stores...

The 100k/$2k spend IHG offer is targeted just to specific accounts and there doesn't seem to be a trick to getting targeted. But once I got approved for the IHG card with the 80k/$1k spend offer, I just sent a secure message to Chase with a screen shot of the 100k offer and asked them to match it. They said no problem, just message us back once you have hit $2k spend and we will add the extra 20k points.

The 100k/$2k spend IHG offer is targeted just to specific accounts and there doesn't seem to be a trick to getting targeted. But once I got approved for the IHG card with the 80k/$1k spend offer, I just sent a secure message to Chase with a screen shot of the 100k offer and asked them to match it. They said no problem, just message us back once you have hit $2k spend and we will add the extra 20k points.
I think I'm going for this card over the weekend in the hopes that I'll get a match too.

honestly, i find these bloggers sometimes hiding info and having an agenda.... The Points Guy has been known to push the CSP very often so he would earn UR if people sign up through his link so he pushes it. I think it got so bad for him that he basically warns it at the beginning of every blog. He does have a lot of interesting stories though.
DocofCredit is honestly more for bank accounts.

I dont follow others but i do highly recommend a few places to go. reddit.com. specifically reddit.com/r/churning. This place will get you your credit card information. Dont try to post your own thread though, they arent too keen to it. What you do if you do have questions is to post in the Weekly threads. They have like "Daily Question Thread" and "what Card SHould I Get/Use Thread" etc. Post in there. There is like a lot of @calypso726 there... :P
Now that we have your credit card information covered, the next place is your travel ideas. reddit.com/r/awardtravel. This is where people would ask how to use what points to travel where, a lot of it you can learn and get ideas from. You can also post your questions there. One thing i learned is using Virgin Atlantic to travel J class to asia is the cheapest point redemption compared to United or Flyblue points with UR. they got some pretty good @calypso726 there too...

sorry @calypso726 for the tags... :]

Tag away my friend, tag away :P

Oh they certainly do hide info, especially about MS. Most will show bias to whatever referral links they have too. TPG has great info but is definitely Chase biased. MMS is pretty good about sharing the best offer, even if he doesn't have a referral link to it. DOC often has inside info on what might be on the horizon with regards to new credit cards coming out but is by far the source for banking bonuses and info. Dan's Deals is usually the first to tweet or make public a limited get it now before it's gone offer.

I just recently started reading some of the reddit threads. Thanks for sharing the topics you find useful. That will help narrow things down a bit. Also, thanks for sharing the tip about flying Virgin Atlantic to travel in J. Next year we are going to Japan just to visit the Disney parks. I know I'd like to go back at some point and actually see Japan. When I do, I will look into flying Virgin Atlantic.

Thanks for the recommendations @calypso726 and @Albort! Truthfully, Reddit scares me a little - but I'll definitely do some reading on those two threads. That's why I love THIS board/thread though - everyone is so friendly & genuinely wants to help!

Flyer Talk scares me more than Reddit. I love this board for the same reason. Everyone is super nice and friendly. Everyone has different outlooks and goals and that is ok. We can all share them and our perspectives and learn from each other. No one expects anyone to be an expert at anything when sharing their advice and experiences.

Flyer Talk scares me more than Reddit. I love this board for the same reason. Everyone is super nice and friendly. Everyone has different outlooks and goals and that is ok. We can all share them and our perspectives and learn from each other. No one expects anyone to be an expert at anything when sharing their advice and experiences.

i find flyertalk to be a lot more friendlier. The datapoints there is pretty huge compared to reddit. I do currently sit in the Chase Flyertalk and EVA Air Flyertalk. Both have been quite helpful in making purchases and ideas on how to maximize profit. aka retention deals, ink+ coding with xxxxx store, etc. EVA air, since i fly the most, lots of new info on new things coming out. Its a lot of information there, and its a lot longer than this thread to read through... haha.

i find flyertalk to be a lot more friendlier. The datapoints there is pretty huge compared to reddit. I do currently sit in the Chase Flyertalk and EVA Air Flyertalk. Both have been quite helpful in making purchases and ideas on how to maximize profit. aka retention deals, ink+ coding with xxxxx store, etc. EVA air, since i fly the most, lots of new info on new things coming out. Its a lot of information there, and its a lot longer than this thread to read through... haha.

Hmmm, perhaps I haven't perused enough of Reddit to scare me off. I've been on Flyertalk since 2010 and have a total of 21 posts. Meanwhile, here on the DIS, I'm into the thousands :D

Anyone max out on the 35k SPG point purchases? i was having fun to see how Amex and Citi codes... kinda want to max that out just to have the points...

god damn, im really turning into a point hoarder... :\

honestly, i find these bloggers sometimes hiding info and having an agenda.... The Points Guy has been known to push the CSP very often so he would earn UR if people sign up through his link so he pushes it. I think it got so bad for him that he basically warns it at the beginning of every blog. He does have a lot of interesting stories though.

TPG's disclosure is more based on the fact that he sold his website to bankrate several years ago. The site clearly has a structural conflict. He is still a straight shooter in my view, but you have to take the credit card stuff with a grain of salt given the blog's ownership. Also, this is about much more than just getting some point for referrals. This is big business and these guys are making a lot of money. I don't know how much TPG sold his website for, but he is very wealthy. We're not talking about side-businesses here.

Frequentmiler is really pretty good. I find him to be really transparent, and I never feel like he's pushing the benefits of a certain card just to get the affiliate referral fee. He also is about much more than just miles -- he's sort of a 21st century extreme couponer with a travel bent. Mommypoints is pretty transparent and honest, and her blog is not big business for sure, but hardcore points and miles and credit cards are not really her thing. I find view form the wing to be among the least transparent. He will write entire blog posts that purport to be helpful -- top 10 reasons I love X Card -- but which are really just wind ups for his affiliate links for that card. He has some great content at times, but in terms of trustworthiness, he's behind the others to me. One Mile At A Time is somewhere in between. Some of his trip reporting is the best in the bloggosphere, but he'll hawk credit cards too.

Bottom line -- view all of them with skepticism. If you view them as mainly credit card salesmen in business to make money, who post associated content in order to drive traffic to their credit card sales platforms, you won't be entirely wrong. With issuers getting more and more hardcore about churning, with lifetime bonus limits and 5/24, you really need to manage your credit card portfolio carefully. I always see a few cards that just don't seem worth a hard pull and a space in my wallet that get completely hyped. There were a couple of Hilton cards a few months ago like that, where the affiliate payouts must have been massive because the amount of artificial buzz that was being generated from them was pretty significant. I feel the same way about the IHG card right now. It's a good card, no doubt, and the annual free night is a really good benefit. But its exposure right now makes it seem like the second coming of the 100k Sapphire Reserve.

Here's just a small example of what I'm talking about. A blogger might say, "this card is not subject to Chase's 5/24 rule." But what does that mean? It might, for example, mean only that you can get the card if you're over 5/24, which is clearly important information. But that doesn't necessarily mean it won't count toward 5/24 when you want to get better card in 6 months. So, if you're at 6/24 right now, with a couple of cards that are 21 months old, you can get the card, but do you want it? The blogs are not a place where you're going to necessarily get the straight scoop on that -- though I think Frequentmiler is pretty good about this -- flyertalk, DocCredit, etc. are the better places.

I always see a few cards that just don't seem worth a hard pull and a space in my wallet that get completely hyped. There were a couple of Hilton cards a few months ago like that, where the affiliate payouts must have been massive because the amount of artificial buzz that was being generated from them was pretty significant. I feel the same way about the IHG card right now. It's a good card, no doubt, and the annual free night is a really good benefit. But its exposure right now makes it seem like the second coming of the 100k Sapphire Reserve.

Interesting perspective. I've assumed that all the hype is because these blogs need something to talk about, and so whatever is the new offer, or the about-to-end offer, gets a lot of hype just because it gives them something to post. But you're right that many blogs are not good at saying what is an objectively good offer and what is just an okay offer.

For those who have booked Disney resorts thru UR portal, when did you notice availability? I am looking for End of February/beginning of March but only occasionally see POP but no other resorts. I see availability end of this year but not February
random. sometimes you see them,sometimes you don't. I can see for my Dec dates a lot of onsite rooms....

Hmmm, perhaps I haven't perused enough of Reddit to scare me off. I've been on Flyertalk since 2010 and have a total of 21 posts. Meanwhile, here on the DIS, I'm into the thousands :D
Recieved a club Carlson mailer, 50,000 points after first purchase, extra 35,000 points after $2,500 spend. Annual fee waived first year. Good? I'd likely just make the first purchase to get the 50,000 points.

TPG's disclosure is more based on the fact that he sold his website to bankrate several years ago. The site clearly has a structural conflict. He is still a straight shooter in my view, but you have to take the credit card stuff with a grain of salt given the blog's ownership. Also, this is about much more than just getting some point for referrals. This is big business and these guys are making a lot of money. I don't know how much TPG sold his website for, but he is very wealthy. We're not talking about side-businesses here.

Frequentmiler is really pretty good. I find him to be really transparent, and I never feel like he's pushing the benefits of a certain card just to get the affiliate referral fee. He also is about much more than just miles -- he's sort of a 21st century extreme couponer with a travel bent. Mommypoints is pretty transparent and honest, and her blog is not big business for sure, but hardcore points and miles and credit cards are not really her thing. I find view form the wing to be among the least transparent. He will write entire blog posts that purport to be helpful -- top 10 reasons I love X Card -- but which are really just wind ups for his affiliate links for that card. He has some great content at times, but in terms of trustworthiness, he's behind the others to me. One Mile At A Time is somewhere in between. Some of his trip reporting is the best in the bloggosphere, but he'll hawk credit cards too.

Bottom line -- view all of them with skepticism. If you view them as mainly credit card salesmen in business to make money, who post associated content in order to drive traffic to their credit card sales platforms, you won't be entirely wrong. With issuers getting more and more hardcore about churning, with lifetime bonus limits and 5/24, you really need to manage your credit card portfolio carefully. I always see a few cards that just don't seem worth a hard pull and a space in my wallet that get completely hyped. There were a couple of Hilton cards a few months ago like that, where the affiliate payouts must have been massive because the amount of artificial buzz that was being generated from them was pretty significant. I feel the same way about the IHG card right now. It's a good card, no doubt, and the annual free night is a really good benefit. But its exposure right now makes it seem like the second coming of the 100k Sapphire Reserve.

Here's just a small example of what I'm talking about. A blogger might say, "this card is not subject to Chase's 5/24 rule." But what does that mean? It might, for example, mean only that you can get the card if you're over 5/24, which is clearly important information. But that doesn't necessarily mean it won't count toward 5/24 when you want to get better card in 6 months. So, if you're at 6/24 right now, with a couple of cards that are 21 months old, you can get the card, but do you want it? The blogs are not a place where you're going to necessarily get the straight scoop on that -- though I think Frequentmiler is pretty good about this -- flyertalk, DocCredit, etc. are the better places.
Great post. I love travelbloggerbuzz and miles for family for this very reason. Honest bloggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter