I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got DH a no fee Hilton Amex about 6 months ago. The no fee version. Hilton points don't usually go as far as other hotel chains, but when he travels for work he always stays at Hiltons. With their promotions it's easy to accumulate a decent number of points so we decided to continue with point collection through the credit card bonus.
I looked at Hilton & Marriott and Marriott requires more points, at least in the hotels in Flagstaff so I thought I'd go for Hilton. Using my Marriott points for SPG transfer & WDW Dolphin.

That's awful. We have had any issues with Chase being declined. Did they say why the card was declined? Fraud issues?
We have had issues with DHs business Citi AA card. Can't log in & save/change settings online. It says contact customer service, who then spent 30 minutes trying to fix it. They see no problems on their end. Finally just had them input the settings we wanted. Still can't access.

Yes, a pattern of potentially fraudulent activity, which...ok, not really, but whatever. BUT we called and got IT resolved and thought all was well. But now two charges have disappeared from his account, one of which is a major business hotel booking that if it disappears and if we have to rebook...well, he is going to be SO grouchy. I tried to send SM, but they seem to take too long. He's going to have to call back in over the hotel thing and will be so grouchy with me. Dang.

boo, chase has been really good to me. sorry that ur having those issues.
If you ever get an Ink card, make sure u throw everything u know about transactions and posting out the window... :P

NOOOO!!! That was our next planned card - Ink Cash - to be his "permanent" business card. So it's super confusing how they post online or...something else i'm not following?

So it's super confusing how they post online or...something else i'm not following?

Not really confusing.... but in my experience, they just don't post very timely and sometimes disappear between sessions (not cancelled, just in hiding) when viewed online.

Booked our return from Calgary to Newark. Dates are March 29th to April 4th 2018. Used 100,00 aeroplan points transferred from Amex MR to fly. Taxes and surcharges were $150 per person but didn't mind paying because I scored DIRECT flights.
I put $350 of the $600 charge on my Barclays card to erase this charge. So 4 roundtrip tickets for our family to fly to the Canadian Rockies for Easter/Spring break was $250 out of pocket. Hotel was free through Chase based on Fairmont card and used chase ultimate rewards points to book Hilton garden inn Calgary airport for night we arrive. Only used 6,100 UR for the one night.

Two free Fairmont nights at Chateau Lake Louise upgraded to lakeview suite. Retail value was $1300. Three nights on gold floor of Fairmont palliser for $600 Canadian will be covered by 60,000 Amex MR points cashed out for Fairmont gift cards. Pay for two nights, get third free by being a cardholder.

Only need to pay for food.

THIS HOBBY rocks.

Last edited:
He's going to have to call back in over the hotel thing and will be so grouchy with me. Dang.

I'm one whose DH also gets grouchy with me over these things. When we already have the card and have to call about something, I always call - they will look up the information and ask if the primary card holder is there. I'll tell them that he is, but he'd rather have me discuss it with them since I handle everything. They then just have to talk to him and verify that they can speak to me about the account. Some card issuers will even note it in the account that in the future then can discuss with me. It's definitely helpful, that way he only has to give his permission, instead of dealing with all the details!

DH was reluctant at first about travel hacking and never wanted to deal with talking to recon. He was hooked after the first international first class flight. After that I told him if he didn't want to talk to recon he could fly in economy :teeth: He would also get grouchy when I'd propose to do something that seemed absurd or insane, like flying to London for the weekend to see a play :rolleyes1 After he had an amazing weekend I explained that the choices were to see where my whims take us or he can plan everything from now on and we will wind up with millions of miles but nowhere to go since he never has the time to plan anything.

Outcome: He calls recon when necessary and I help with scripting his conversation. My insane ideas are still more fun than doing nothing :laughing:

Last edited:
Yes, a pattern of potentially fraudulent activity, which...ok, not really, but whatever. BUT we called and got IT resolved and thought all was well. But now two charges have disappeared from his account, one of which is a major business hotel booking that if it disappears and if we have to rebook...well, he is going to be SO grouchy. I tried to send SM, but they seem to take too long. He's going to have to call back in over the hotel thing and will be so grouchy with me. Dang.
I've had luck tweeting at various companies & getting quick responses (including Chase). Seems they are pretty responsive on social media.

I'm one whose DH also gets grouchy with me over these things. When we already have the card and have to call about something, I always call - they will look up the information and ask if the primary card holder is there. I'll tell them that he is, but he'd rather have me discuss it with them since I handle everything. They then just have to talk to him and verify that they can speak to me about the account. Some card issuers will even note it in the account that in the future then can discuss with me. It's definitely helpful, that way he only has to give his permission, instead of dealing with all the details!
I've done that too. DH says "yeah just talk to her". Lol

Does anyone know if there are any Chase cards that don't use the 5/24 rule (assuming you don't have a business and aren't eligible for their business cards)? I've been looking at the Marriott card but I'm over 5/24 for quite a while. Also, does anyone have any experience with the Citi Prestige Thank You points? What can the points be used for - are they transferable to airline or hotel programs? I've been using Chase & Amex points pretty extensively and I know nothing about Citi but I'm wondering if it's time to branch out.

Does anyone know if there are any Chase cards that don't use the 5/24 rule (assuming you don't have a business and aren't eligible for their business cards)? I've been looking at the Marriott card but I'm over 5/24 for quite a while. Also, does anyone have any experience with the Citi Prestige Thank You points? What can the points be used for - are they transferable to airline or hotel programs? I've been using Chase & Amex points pretty extensively and I know nothing about Citi but I'm wondering if it's time to branch out.

Not under 5/24 Chase Hyatt
Chase Fairmont
Chase Ritz-Carlton
Chase Marriott Business
Chase IHG
Chase British Airways
Chase Disney Rewards and Disney Premier
Chase Amazon
Chase AARP

Thank You transfer partners
Cathay Pacific Airways
Etihad Airways
EVA Air
Air France/KLM’s Flying Blue
Garuda Indonesia
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas Airways
Qatar Airways
Singapore Airlines
Thai Airways
Virgin America
Virgin Atlantic Airways
JetBlue TrueBlue

*edited to add IHG

Last edited:

I added the both the Prestige and Premier before the new application rules went into effect. The Thank You points came in handy as my Hawaii backup plan. At the time the Prestige points were worth 1.8 cents for AA bookings. I believe they are devalued to 1.6 or will be soon. They also are/have discontinued the AA Admiral club lounge access and devalued the the 4th night free hotel benefit. I did hold on to it as it may come in handy for an upcoming trip where I'm undecided on the hotel. I have taken advantage of the annual $250 airline credit. I am hoping Citi decides to add AA as a transfer partner or adds more value to the card to to the competition from CSR.

Thank you so much calypso726 for all of this information! I actually fly JetBlue quite a bit so the Thank You points will work for me. I just have to go do the comparison and the math on the Prestige & Premier now to see which will work better for me.

its still possible to pass the 5/24 if ur pre-approved(unless something has changed recently). you would have to go see what preapproved offers u have on your mobile app or walk in and ask. YMMV.

Thank you so much calypso726 for all of this information! I actually fly JetBlue quite a bit so the Thank You points will work for me. I just have to go do the comparison and the math on the Prestige & Premier now to see which will work better for me.

you stay in hotels a lot for a long period of time? the one perk prestige has is the 4th night free in hotels.(average night). other than that, premier has the same category and minus the $250 travel credit and $100 GE/TSApre app.
i have a premier, i use it mostly to transfer to EVA airways. Its also got some nice retention perks(+2 points on Premier, +5 points on Prestige).

Cancelled one of my BOA Amtrak cards. I had two of the Platinum no annual fee ones. I intend to apply for the Premier card with the $79.00 annual fee. Waiting for bonus to hit 30,000 points until I do so. Need to churn a trip from Philly to Niagara Falls Ontario next June.

Does anyone know if there are any Chase cards that don't use the 5/24 rule (assuming you don't have a business and aren't eligible for their business cards)? I've been looking at the Marriott card but I'm over 5/24 for quite a while. Also, does anyone have any experience with the Citi Prestige Thank You points? What can the points be used for - are they transferable to airline or hotel programs? I've been using Chase & Amex points pretty extensively and I know nothing about Citi but I'm wondering if it's time to branch out

Not under 5/24 Chase Hyatt, Chase Fairmont, Chase Ritz-Carlton, Chase Marriott BusinesChase British Airways Chase Disney Rewards Chase Disney Premier Chase Amazon Chase AARP

Everything calypso726 said plus Chase IHG Mastercard.

Yesterday I received my Chase IHG Mastercard...and I am waaay over 5/24. I debated but it seems like a pretty good card. Did my $1000 spend today plus a spend on DD's AU card so should have my 66016 points when it closes in June :)

Everything calypso726 said plus Chase IHG Mastercard.

Yesterday I received my Chase IHG Mastercard...and I am waaay over 5/24. I debated but it seems like a pretty good card. Did my $1000 spend today plus a spend on DD's AU card so should have my 66016 points when it closes in June :)

Thanks for catching that! Don't know how I missed it since I got it way past 5/24

Anyone uses US Bank Flexpoint before? New Premium card sounds very intriguing but idk if its a CSR replacer...

Anyone uses US Bank Flexpoint before? New Premium card sounds very intriguing but idk if its a CSR replacer...

No but i have been reading on reddit about US banks new Altitude card. I am literally holding
off applying for anything new until I see its release and what benefits it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter