I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aanna, How many points did you end up using total to get everyone's airfare to Barcelona?? I'm thinking of trying to plan a trip next year for 10 people overseas somewhere. But DEFINETLY need to do it on the cheapy cheapest way possible. Other thing is I'm really the only one that has credit good enough to be applying for multiple cards, or any of the heavy rewards cards really. My though process is this:
CSR = 100,000 sign up (plus $300 travel credit x 2 yrs = $600)
CSP = 50,000 sign up
UA card = 30,000 sign up
Freedom = Just to get points to transfer over to the UA/CSR/CSP to help out

In the meantime, just use the cards as much as possible in their respective categories to rack up as many points as possible. Can we Charge our mortgage to our credit cards? Wonder how that codes or how we go about doing that.

Also, in your one post you mentioned having to transfer points/miles from UA accounts, and having to make son an authorized user... Does each person HAVE to have their own mileage account, or can you have like one 'family' account that you use? And how does it work to transfer miles/points between people? I can make family members AU on my accounts, but they can't get their own accounts (cc, mileage accounts obviously they can each get).

Slight correction: if you use UR points to purchase tickets through the UR portal, you would have 36,000 points sitting in your UA Miles Plus account. This would mean, at $600 retail per ticket, you could pay for 4 round trips. BUT if you can get one other person to get a UA card, you might still come out ahead. United doesn't care about what name is on the rewards ticket (for purchase purposes). So lets say both you and your DH get a UA card. With your points you could buy yourself a one way to Europe, and then you could use your DH's Miles Plus account points to buy yourself a one way back home. That way you can still buy more economical round-trips for everyone else.

Hope that all makes sense LOL

Last edited:
Aanna, How many points did you end up using total to get everyone's airfare to Barcelona??

I missed a question! It cost me 6 people x 70,000 miles = 420,000 for our one-way to Barcelona. It was such a bummer when United slashed the availability on its own flights. My original plan would have cost 6 x 57,500 = 345,000 miles.

Ohmigosh, when I write it out like that I'm :eek:

While I was actually gathering the miles I kept thinking 140,000 for my parents and 280,000 for us, and, somehow, that didn't seem as bad.

Aanna, How many points did you end up using total to get everyone's airfare to Barcelona?? I'm thinking of trying to plan a trip next year for 10 people overseas somewhere. But DEFINETLY need to do it on the cheapy cheapest way possible. Other thing is I'm really the only one that has credit good enough to be applying for multiple cards, or any of the heavy rewards cards really. My though process is this:
CSR = 100,000 sign up (plus $300 travel credit x 2 yrs = $600)
CSP = 50,000 sign up
UA card = 30,000 sign up
Freedom = Just to get points to transfer over to the UA/CSR/CSP to help out

In the meantime, just use the cards as much as possible in their respective categories to rack up as many points as possible. Can we Charge our mortgage to our credit cards? Wonder how that codes or how we go about doing that.

I think very difficult to fly 10 ppl on one person's stack of credit card. Perhaps booking the ticket and earn 3x(CSR) and saving it for easier redemption is probably a better thing. depending on what city you go, there might a cheaper deal... for example --> WOW Air also offers One Way Flights from Select US Cities to Paris, Amsterdam and London from $149.99 when you travel on specific dates. International flights will make a stop in Iceland. <-- probably a better way to go.

Second to last, yes, it is possible to pay your mortgage with a credit card through a service such as Plastiq. Service charges run about 2.5%, though, and recently Visa has instituted a policy where payments to new payees are coded as cash advances until that payee has a "relationship" with Plastiq. Not a problem if you're paying Nationstar or Chase mortgage, but a pain if your mortgage is held by a smaller company. Mortgages don't code as anything fun -- just regular base points.

to add to this, i would highly suggest lowering your Cash advanced amount down to $0. If anything codes out as a Cash Advance, it would get declined. If not, you will be charged the APR rate at the start, making you pay more money to them!

I got my card....I booked my flight to Vegas next month. The $300 posted already :) Now getting us to $4k! It's 3 month from approval, right?

And if I wanted to get my husband in on the CSR $300/$300 he'd need to get on it before December, right?

I've got a spread sheet going now tracking all the programs I signed up with, LOL. Hoping it keeps me from forgetting my logins and passwords. Did I read right, that Delta miles NEVER expire? I was trying to pick which program to sign up with the Rewards Network (dining). I opted for Delta, because we are a hub, and they don't expire. Is there one that is better?

Are people saying not to pay off your card multiple times in a month? My husband is freaking out that I'm doing this as we are trying to wipe all our debt and here I am doing this instead, LOL. But I told him I plan to use this like a debit card and pay off a few times a month. It would NOT be MS spending at all. It's gas, groceries, amazon, food, etc. Would I be okay? I guess another option is to transfer the money from our checking into one of my other 4762 accounts with chase as I spend it, and then pay from that when the statement closes. We spend based on looking at our balance in checking, though all our accounts are chase, so you can easily see what's on the CSR.

Do we know, do Spa's count as travel IF they are in a hotel? I'm going to Vegas and I will be booking a spa appointment with the hotel. I guess I could room charge though and then that WOULD be travel, right?

I ask right a lot, right? LOL.

Oh I decided to book my starwoods trip on the CSR. SPG is doing triple points. Amex offered x2 points, but CSR will give me x3 :) Plus that's more $$$ towards that $4k.

Okay last question. Is it better to go 2 CSR vs CSR and ink+ (legit business so I could go into the branch)? If I'm like 100% sure I would close 1 of the CSR and MIGHT keep the Ink+. I know I could have all 3, but getting to $13k in spending might be tough ;)

Okay last question. Is it better to go 2 CSR vs CSR and ink+ (legit business so I could go into the branch)? If I'm like 100% sure I would close 1 of the CSR and MIGHT keep the Ink+. I know I could have all 3, but getting to $13k in spending might be tough ;)

it depends on your spending habits. I spend more on my Ink+ because i buy gifts cards for everything... Target shopping, walmart shopping, home depot, etc. lots of math to calculate but its a card id keep for awhile.(ink card that is)
yes, if you have a legit business, u should be able to get the 70k UR pts AND waived 1 yr af.
dont close your CSR, product change it to one of the Freedom cards. then u can earn 5x on rotating cat or 1.5x on everything else.

heck, if u need help with the 13k, i can sure use a vacation... ;) but if you come close to it, start overpaying your bills... i mean its not like its going to waste anyways... :P

I think this may have been discussed, but I've searched and can't find it. What are the rules about transferring UR points between spouses?

DH now has the CSP in addition to the Chase Freedom that we've always had in his name. I'm wanting to apply for the Chase Ink plus, but not sure if there is a benefit to doing it in my name instead of DH's - or if it really matters. Eventually I want to apply for the CSP in my name as well mainly to get the 100,000 points and the global benefits if that matters.

DH and I each apply for the same cards. This way we get double the bonus to play with. Sometimes we can get both at the same time and sometimes we stagger getting the same card in order to complete the spend. If there is a benefit we will add each other as AU to each card as well.

I got my card....I booked my flight to Vegas next month. The $300 posted already :) Now getting us to $4k! It's 3 month from approval, right?

And if I wanted to get my husband in on the CSR $300/$300 he'd need to get on it before December, right?

I've got a spread sheet going now tracking all the programs I signed up with, LOL. Hoping it keeps me from forgetting my logins and passwords. Did I read right, that Delta miles NEVER expire? I was trying to pick which program to sign up with the Rewards Network (dining). I opted for Delta, because we are a hub, and they don't expire. Is there one that is better?

Are people saying not to pay off your card multiple times in a month? My husband is freaking out that I'm doing this as we are trying to wipe all our debt and here I am doing this instead, LOL. But I told him I plan to use this like a debit card and pay off a few times a month. It would NOT be MS spending at all. It's gas, groceries, amazon, food, etc. Would I be okay? I guess another option is to transfer the money from our checking into one of my other 4762 accounts with chase as I spend it, and then pay from that when the statement closes. We spend based on looking at our balance in checking, though all our accounts are chase, so you can easily see what's on the CSR.

Do we know, do Spa's count as travel IF they are in a hotel? I'm going to Vegas and I will be booking a spa appointment with the hotel. I guess I could room charge though and then that WOULD be travel, right?

I ask right a lot, right? LOL.

Oh I decided to book my starwoods trip on the CSR. SPG is doing triple points. Amex offered x2 points, but CSR will give me x3 :) Plus that's more $$$ towards that $4k.

I count 3 months from date of application. Make sure all spend posts before that 3 month date. Some merchants take longer than others for transactions to post. I've had British Airways take weeks to even charge me for taxes and fees on an award ticket.

Your DH would need to make sure he gets the card and the travel charge posts before December.

If you are trapped in a Delta hub then it makes sense to collect Delta's Sky Pesos. Their one redeeming quality is that they don't expire. Be aware that they won't let you book an award ticket in first class on partner airlines. They devalue their program without notice on a regular basis and won't publish their award chart.

I do pay my cards throughout the month but always let some amount post as being due by the end of the statement cycle. This keeps my utilization low. My score is in the 800's.

I am always going to advocate getting 2 of each card. If it isn't possible then you would need to figure out if you want 100k points in the short term with the CSR or if you want to be able to earn 5x long term (hopefully) with the Ink+. We don't know if Chase will eventually change the 5x earning on the Ink+ for those who will be grandfathered in on the old card holders.

Thanks for the feedback on global entry and TSA precheck. I admit I don't fully understand how these programs work - in the past few years, I have randomly been given TSA precheck about 50% of the times I've flown but if not for the CSR credit I'm not sure I would be signing up.

Another question - does anyone know how Chase decides whether to approve a credit card application from someone who already has multiple (but hopefully not 5/24) Chase cards? Is it based on internal info? Do they pull a credit score? I'm getting anxious to apply for the United card, which would be the 5th in 24 months. I actually want other cards more (especially an AmEx) but I know that if I don't get the United card next, I'll have to wait a long time. Would there be an advantage to applying in-branch? Should I pay down all the Chase cards I have first? Deposit money in the Chase checking (which is not our primary checking - it only has a small balance because it's linked to PayPal)? Any other advice?

Interesting data point...just called AMEX to close my spg card.. and they UPGRADED me to Premier Rewards Gold. Yes, I'm sure I have the bonus offer, it's 50,000 MR points with 2k spend. I received an email with the welcome bonus offer so there is no dispute. I was going to apply for it in December anyway, so the fact that there was no credit pull made the choice easier. I never knew AMEX upgraded cards! This will be my first AMEX charge card. Anyone else have this experience, an upgrade from a credit to a charge card?

Here is the language of my welcome offer..
With this welcome offer, you can get 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you make purchases on your Card totaling $2000 or more during the first 3 months, starting from the date your account is approved.

• You will receive the bonus 6-8 weeks after the $2000 purchase requirement has been met. To receive the bonus, your account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
  • Interest charges, fees, and the purchase or reloading of cash equivalents are not considered purchases for the purpose of the $2000 purchase requirement.
  • Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer but their purchases will count towards meeting the $2000 purchase requirement.
  • Purchases that fall outside of the 3 months period for any reason will not qualify. For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped

Well, I tried applying for the Chase Ink+ card and got the message that it is under review and I should receive the card in the mail in 7-10 days if approved. :sad1:

I really hope I'm approved - I want that 5x points on office, satellite, etc.

Anyway, if I am approved for it, will it show up on my chase login with my personal card? I currently have the RR card and I'm just wondering if it will show up there the way that DH new CSR showed up with the Freedom card that he already had.

Thanks!

Well, I tried applying for the Chase Ink+ card and got the message that it is under review and I should receive the card in the mail in 7-10 days if approved. :sad1:

Anyway, if I am approved for it, will it show up on my chase login with my personal card? I currently have the RR card and I'm just wondering if it will show up there the way that DH new CSR showed up with the Freedom card that he already had.

Thanks!

for ink+, just wait for your card/rejection letter. do not call recon.
You will need to create another login. If you want it all under 1 account, u would need to call chase and merge personal to business. If you do so, it can be a bit mess. i had to redo my chase quickpay and all my external accounts.

I think very difficult to fly 10 ppl on one person's stack of credit card. Perhaps booking the ticket and earn 3x(CSR) and saving it for easier redemption is probably a better thing. depending on what city you go, there might a cheaper deal... for example --> WOW Air also offers One Way Flights from Select US Cities to Paris, Amsterdam and London from $149.99 when you travel on specific dates. International flights will make a stop in Iceland. <-- probably a better way to go.

If using something like WOW, can we use points, or would we just be getting points by using our CSR to purchase the tickets? They do seem extremely reasonably priced, and we happen to live at one of their hubs (D.C.), so there wouldn't even be any connecting flight from another U.S. location. At least for 6 of us. The other 4, we'd have to use points for domestic flight to D.C., but that would still be way cheaper doing that combination than buying everyone Int'l flights thru Expedia or something...

Thanks!

I got that same message. While waiting for the letter, try calling the auto # to see if you're approved..

here's my experience.

I applied on 10/13 around 9AM and got the same message. I called the auto # maybe 930 and it said that my application was received and I would hear within 7-10 days. I got a missed call from a strange number without a voicemail around 11 so I googled it and it was from Chase in Delaware. I thought that it was very strange that they didn't leave a voicemail. I called the auto # again and I got a message that said "You've been approved!" YAY! I didn't receive the welcome email until 10/17 and I received my card on 10/21.

You won't see the business card in your personal login. You actually have to create a separate login for the business card. I've read that you can add personal accounts to a business "base" account but you can't do it the other way around.

Sending good vibes for you!!

I got that same message. While waiting for the letter, try calling the auto # to see if you're approved..

here's my experience.

I applied on 10/13 around 9AM and got the same message. I called the auto # maybe 930 and it said that my application was received and I would hear within 7-10 days. I got a missed call from a strange number without a voicemail around 11 so I googled it and it was from Chase in Delaware. I thought that it was very strange that they didn't leave a voicemail. I called the auto # again and I got a message that said "You've been approved!" YAY! I didn't receive the welcome email until 10/17 and I received my card on 10/21.

You won't see the business card in your personal login. You actually have to create a separate login for the business card. I've read that you can add personal accounts to a business "base" account but you can't do it the other way around.

Sending good vibes for you!!

Thanks for sharing your experience. What is the auto #? I found the numbers for personal card reconsideration, but I'm guessing this is a different number?

Thanks!

anyone have experience here with reapplying for CSR? since my last go round I was flagged at 5/24..... but I won't be soon.... I'm wondering how long to wait to give it another try after 2 (AU's) drop off.....since I have some specific goals I'm currently trying to narrow down my best options for applying at this point

Thanks for sharing your experience. What is the auto #? I found the numbers for personal card reconsideration, but I'm guessing this is a different number?

Thanks!

it is 1-888-338-2586

it's strictly automated so all you have to do is enter in your social security number and it'll tell you right away. way better than having to call and speak with someone :)

good, good luck! I hope you get it!!

it is 1-888-338-2586

it's strictly automated so all you have to do is enter in your social security number and it'll tell you right away. way better than having to call and speak with someone :)

good, good luck! I hope you get it!!

Thanks again! I called the number and got the recorded message about receiving the information through the mail. I'm so impatient :scared:.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should apply for the ink in DHs name or just wait to see if mine's approved. Decisions, decisions...

I also want to get the CSR for myself, but figure I should wait to see how my ink application plays out. Did I mention I hate waiting!

Thanks again! I called the number and got the recorded message about receiving the information through the mail. I'm so impatient :scared:.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should apply for the ink in DHs name or just wait to see if mine's approved. Decisions, decisions...

I also want to get the CSR for myself, but figure I should wait to see how my ink application plays out. Did I mention I hate waiting!
lol I hear ya! I called the auto number like 3 times. Even a few times after I got the approved message and before I Got the email, just to make sure. I can't wait to get the CSR. I am traveling twice in November and the global entry/priority pass would be so beneficial. not to mention those 100K pts. Patience is not my best quality either!

ETA: I have read on a lot of sites that the Ink will auto get approved which is why the best practice is to not call recon right away.

Stupid question, but I will ask here since it is related. Looking at a free hotel night. It will cost 15000 Marriott points, which I have. Or I could go through UR portal and use about 8000 points. I should do the UR points, right? The room cost is $120+tax. It seems like a no brainer to me to use less points, but I know people have said they get better point value by not going through the UR portal. Is that generally for flights and not hotels?

DO NOT call recon. They will grill you about your business. Unless your really good at sweet talking it, DO NOT talk to anyone live! wait till u get rejected to call. There is a chance you can be auto approve and that is what you want to get right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter