• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
are u sure about that? i had a freedom(has since been promoted... ;)) that was below $5000. I know Visa Signature requires $5k+, CSP requires 5k+, CSR requires 10K+ because of the visa signature/visa infinite. I do have a friend who recently opened a $4k freedom unlimited though, wasnt a visa signature card though.

Just going by data points I have read from others who tried a product change like Sapphire no fee card with a $4K credit line to Freedom and were told they needed $5K to open. It isn't something I have done myself. It may be one of those YMMV things. I was considering a product change on my Amazon card and that was what I'd read. Now, I'm just going to hold tight until I can get the CSR. Once I have that in play, I will product change the CSP to the Freedom Unlimited and the Amazon to a second Freedom card if that is allowed.

Last edited:
Our first experience with the whole points earning thing was a few years before we really discovered travel hacking and it was with the Disney Visa. This was before they came out with the premier card. We used it to pay for a couple DVC member cruises. Then when we got started doing this I was keeping post-it notes on my cards so I would know what card offered how many points and on what category. DH would just call me and say, "I am going to go buy xxx, what store do I go to and which card do I use?" No more post it notes for me but I do put them on my mom's cards so she can come with us on vacation from time to time and fly up front. I still find manufactured spending a bit complicated and intimidating now that it is not as easy to do. But, with nothing but time on my hands while I wait to be under 5/24 so I can apply for this blasted CSR card, I will be trying out some of the new (to me) methods. Anyhow, I did want to let you know what the travel hacker bloggers are saying is the break even point for spend on the CSR vs the CSP to justify the fee on one over the other. If you spend $3200 yearly on dining and travel then they say you should keep the CSR card after the first year. If you spend less than that annual on dining and travel then they say you should downgrade to the CSP card. Hope that helps you and anyone else following along.

Thanks for that information. We definitely spend that much every year (probably twice that) on travel and dining. Our single largest expense per year is still groceries, so I think my plan to use Disney Visa for the 2% on that category as well as 2% at all Disney locations since we spend quite a lot per year at Disneyland as well. I will use the CSR for travel and dining out as well as online shopping using the portal for bonus earnings.

Wait, you can have multiple Freedom cards? I was going to wait, get myself a new CSP, then downgrade to a Freedom. Waiting until I hit the spending limits safely. But, if I can have two Freedoms I can get one now to start using the 5x points.

Just going by data points I have read from others who tried a product change like Sapphire no fee card with a $4K credit line to Freedom and were told they needed $5K to open. It isn't something I have done myself. It may be one of those YMMV things. I was considering a product change on my Amazon card and that was what I'd read. Now, I'm just going to hold tight until I can get the CSR. Once I have that in play, I will product change the CSP to the Freedom Unlimited and the Amazon to a second Freedom card if that is allowed.
calypso, I have a question you can probably answer (or at least weigh in on with sage advice).
I have just secure messaged Chase about product changing my Freedom card to a Freedom Unlimited (because I spend as much or more on things outside of the rotating categories, so I come out about the same and it's less hassle than activating and trying to remember what quarter is what.
That said, is it likely I could get approved for a new Freedom card sometime next year? My hope is that they'll (a) still have a good sign-up bonus like the current $150 back after $500 spend in 3 months, and (b) have a 5X quarter that includes wholesale clubs. I realize no one can predict either of these things, but IF those both happen next year, I'd like the opportunity to apply for a regular Freedom card so I can reap the benefits (aka, get $500 of Disney gift cards at 5% off while earning 5% back and a $150 bonus!)

FYI, I have three Chase cards, two which were opened this month, the other I've had for over 20 years (it became a "Freedom" whenever that card debuted, I have no idea), and a Sam's Club Mastercard. So I should be okay in terms of the 5/24 deal if I try to open a new Freedom card next year, yes? I just wish I could know if/when they'd have a quarter with 5X for wholesale clubs. I guess if they don't, or I miss it, I can still hope for a sign-up bonus that will be pretty sweet anyway.
Do they release the quarterly categories at the beginning of the year?

tl;dr: If I product change my Freedom to Freedom Unlimited and am at 3/24, am I likely to get approved for a new Freedom card next year?

Wait, you can have multiple Freedom cards? I was going to wait, get myself a new CSP, then downgrade to a Freedom. Waiting until I hit the spending limits safely. But, if I can have two Freedoms I can get one now to start using the 5x points.

yes, u can have more freedom cards than one.

tl;dr: If I product change my Freedom to Freedom Unlimited and am at 3/24, am I likely to get approved for a new Freedom card next year?

why limit yourself to Freedom card? CSP for a year, then product change it to a freedom card when its done. u can earn more on the bonus alone. You may not qualify for the bonus on the 2nd freedom next year, they usually want u to wait 2 years after the closing the card. Ink+ is also a good card to use. As for quarterly categories, they will release about a month before each quarter.

yes, u can have more freedom cards than one.

why limit yourself to Freedom card? CSP for a year, then product change it to a freedom card when its done. u can earn more on the bonus alone. You may not qualify for the bonus on the 2nd freedom next year, they usually want u to wait 2 years after the closing the card. Ink+ is also a good card to use. As for quarterly categories, they will release about a month before each quarter.
That's a good point. My goal is to save as much as possible on our park tickets for next December's trip. I'm not as familiar with the CSP, but would I be able to use the sign-up bonus for that card to purchase park tickets? I've got flights and hotel covered, park tickets are the only thing I'm working on now.

If nothing else, I can keep the Freedom card as is, open an Unlimited with the $150 bonus after buying the discounted gift cards at Sam's and still getting at least 1.5% back on the purchase. But if I can use the CSP bonus to somehow pay for my park tickets, I'm all about that!

calypso, I have a question you can probably answer (or at least weigh in on with sage advice).
I have just secure messaged Chase about product changing my Freedom card to a Freedom Unlimited (because I spend as much or more on things outside of the rotating categories, so I come out about the same and it's less hassle than activating and trying to remember what quarter is what.
That said, is it likely I could get approved for a new Freedom card sometime next year? My hope is that they'll (a) still have a good sign-up bonus like the current $150 back after $500 spend in 3 months, and (b) have a 5X quarter that includes wholesale clubs. I realize no one can predict either of these things, but IF those both happen next year, I'd like the opportunity to apply for a regular Freedom card so I can reap the benefits (aka, get $500 of Disney gift cards at 5% off while earning 5% back and a $150 bonus!)

FYI, I have three Chase cards, two which were opened this month, the other I've had for over 20 years (it became a "Freedom" whenever that card debuted, I have no idea), and a Sam's Club Mastercard. So I should be okay in terms of the 5/24 deal if I try to open a new Freedom card next year, yes? I just wish I could know if/when they'd have a quarter with 5X for wholesale clubs. I guess if they don't, or I miss it, I can still hope for a sign-up bonus that will be pretty sweet anyway.
Do they release the quarterly categories at the beginning of the year?

Albort answered both posts and I agree. If asked why you need a second Freedom just say you want to separate business and personal expenses.

As for the quarterly bonuses I recall where the entire year's bonus categories were released for the following sometime between September and December. I am expecting to see the 2017 calendar released before the year's end.

Albort answered both posts and I agree. If asked why you need a second Freedom just say you want to separate business and personal expenses.

As for the quarterly bonuses I recall where the entire year's bonus categories were released for the following sometime between September and December. I am expecting to see the 2017 calendar released before the year's end.
Yeah. I think I may just leave well enough alone right now, and apply for the CSP in January. That $500 in cash would pay a large chunk of our park tickets, and if I can product change it to a Freedom Unlimited after that first year, that would be good. Will they allow that? I feel kind of guilty using them for that sign-up bonus but bailing on the card before the annual fee kicks in. I guess that's how this game works though, right? I'm kind of new to all of this, but it's fun!

Yeah. I think I may just leave well enough alone right now, and apply for the CSP in January. That $500 in cash would pay a large chunk of our park tickets, and if I can product change it to a Freedom Unlimited after that first year, that would be good. Will they allow that? I feel kind of guilty using them for that sign-up bonus but bailing on the card before the annual fee kicks in. I guess that's how this game works though, right? I'm kind of new to all of this, but it's fun!

I am pretty certain that I read somewhere you couldn't product change a card until you've had a it a full year. I think it was on the Reddit threads where people were trying to product change recent CSP cards since they got approved for the CSR. So when they hit you with the annual fee, product change the card and the fee will be refunded. Is one of your Chase cards the CSR? Sorry, can't remember who on this thread said they got it and who didn't. If not, go for that one over the CSP. $2100 will pay for more of your park tickets than $500. If you go that route, apply well before January so you can get the $300 statement credit this year and then get it again in January. The spend to hit the bonus is the same as the CSP. So, if it is do-able for your circumstances, I'd go for that one.

Yup, that is how the game is played. I keep my Chase UR point earning cards. They are crucial in my strategies to generate points and miles. Plus, I am never going to be under 5/24 and be able to apply for another Chase UR point earning card two years later after cancelling it under normal circumstances. So, do keep that in mind. I never thought I'd find myself halting app-o-rama plans for a year.

I am pretty certain that I read somewhere you couldn't product change a card until you've had a it a full year. I think it was on the Reddit threads where people were trying to product change recent CSP cards since they got approved for the CSR. So when they hit you with the annual fee, product change the card and the fee will be refunded. Is one of your Chase cards the CSR? Sorry, can't remember who on this thread say they got it and who didn't. If not, go for that one over the CSP. $2100 will pay for more of your park tickets than $500. If you go that route, apply well before January so you can get the $300 statement credit this year and then get it again in January. The spend to hit the bonus is the same as the CSP. So, if it is do-able for your circumstances, I'd go for that one.

Yup, that is how the game is played. I keep my Chase UR point earning cards. They are crucial in my strategies to generate points and miles. Plus, I am never going to be under 5/24 and be able to apply for another Chase UR point earning card two years later after cancelling it under normal circumstances. So, do keep that in mind. I never thought I'd find myself halting app-o-rama plans for a year.
Eh, the CSR's annual fee is a bit too rich for my blood. Plus, we're only going for 2-day park hoppers (X3) and MVMCP tickets (X3) so we're well below $2100.

This is my current plan is to apply for the CSP in January (after I've met my spends on the SW and Disney cards) and hopefully get approved. Once I meet the spending requirement on that, apply for the Freedom Unlimited (if it still has a $150 sign-up bonus), and hopefully get approved for it as well. That would be my fifth card in less than a year: Southwest Premier, Disney, Sam's Club Mastercard, CSP (if I get approved), and Freedom Unlimited (if I get approved). I really wish I had never gotten that Sam's Club card. I was applying for membership at the store and they said I was pre-approved so I just went with it. Meh. It's 5% on gasoline, but they only pay out cash back once a year in the form of a check they mail to you. They need to get with the times. It's the 21st century. LOL.

Anyway, I'm excited to give it a try anyway! I just hope the CSP bonus is still around in January!

Eh, the CSR's annual fee is a bit too rich for my blood. Plus, we're only going for 2-day park hoppers (X3) and MVMCP tickets (X3) so we're well below $2100.

This is my current plan is to apply for the CSP in January (after I've met my spends on the SW and Disney cards) and hopefully get approved. Once I meet the spending requirement on that, apply for the Freedom Unlimited (if it still has a $150 sign-up bonus), and hopefully get approved for it as well. That would be my fifth card in less than a year: Southwest Premier, Disney, Sam's Club Mastercard, CSP (if I get approved), and Freedom Unlimited (if I get approved). I really wish I had never gotten that Sam's Club card. I was applying for membership at the store and they said I was pre-approved so I just went with it. Meh. It's 5% on gasoline, but they only pay out cash back once a year in the form of a check they mail to you. They need to get with the times. It's the 21st century. LOL.

Anyway, I'm excited to give it a try anyway! I just hope the CSP bonus is still around in January!

The lowest I have seen the CSP offer is 40,000 but have seen it offered as high as 60,000 on a public offer and know of 70,000 targeted offers. I hope you get lucky and that there is a 60K or better offer for you come January!

The lowest I have seen the CSP offer is 40,000 but have seen it offered as high as 60,000 on a public offer and know of 70,000 targeted offers. I hope you get lucky and that there is a 60K or better offer for you come January!
Oooo! That's encouraging! I hope so too. Hopefully they'll be rolling out some sweet sign-up deals for the new year! *fingers crossed*

I was approved for the CSR. Can anyone confirm that adding to DVA counts as a travel expense? I feel like I read it on this thread that it worked but I have read so many places about this card that I just want to confirm that :) I am going back through the thread right now but if anyone knows if it works, please let me know.

Thanks to all who are sharing your knowledge on this thread. I really appreciate you all!

I was approved for the CSR. Can anyone confirm that adding to DVA counts as a travel expense? I feel like I read it on this thread that it worked but I have read so many places about this card that I just want to confirm that :) I am going back through the thread right now but if anyone knows if it works, please let me know.

Thanks to all who are sharing your knowledge on this thread. I really appreciate you all!

I can confirm that it does. I tested it out early last week with a $10 contribution. The $10 travel credit posted the same day as the original transaction. I then went ahead and did made a contribution for the remaining $290 and that posted as well.

I can confirm that it does. I tested it out early last week with a $10 contribution. The $10 travel credit posted the same day as the original transaction. I then went ahead and did made a contribution for the remaining $290 and that posted as well.

Thank you!!

Perhaps you awesome people can help me with a second question...

Do any of the DVC rental sites code as travel for credit cards? I've been hoarding points on my Barclay card with the intention of using them for our honeymoon - ideally I'd like to put it towards the DVC rental charge as it would cover a pretty good chunk.

Thanks!

Just did it an credited on my account too. Was so glad someone mentioned that as an option!!

Perhaps you awesome people can help me with a second question...

Do any of the DVC rental sites code as travel for credit cards? I've been hoarding points on my Barclay card with the intention of using them for our honeymoon - ideally I'd like to put it towards the DVC rental charge as it would cover a pretty good chunk.

Thanks!

I will know the answer for this in November when we book a DVC rental for Aulani. Im thinking it should though...*no data points to back up my hunch.

EDIT: I think I found the answer - https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/434x3d/booking_a_disney_vacation_club_rental_are_rental/

As always YMMV

I'm a noobie, but looking at opening a couple cards in the next few months. We are self-imployed so I'm looking at the Chase Ink plus card for our business. Next, I was looking at the Southwest card for their 50,000 bonus points. Would it be better to do the Reserve card even with the hefty fee to have more leverage as to where to spend the card? We never fly but after finding out about the signup bonus it would be worth it to fly our next trip to Disney. We usually travel 2-3 times per year driving, but would love to fly if it were an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter