I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Anyone get the Hyatt Business Card? It looks like it doesn't come with a FNC. Is that right? It does get $100 Hyatt credit ($50 2x a year). Does anyone know if you get that in the first year or do you have to wait until the 2nd anniversary? I'm planning a trip for next year and would use the credit in the first year if available.

Just want to add that the advantage of the card is to spend towards status since it gives more elite nights per spend than the personal card. But if that's not the goal, CIU/CIC has the better SUB and no AF.

I need to book a hotel in Tokyo for 2 nights on my way to Bali in September. I was hoping to use our 2 x Bonblah 35k FNCs, but not a single property in Tokyo that can be had for under 54k points (not even a Courtyard or Aloft). For the first time ever the Marriott FNCs may go to waste. Even the W in Toronto that was almost always available for around 50k doesn't have any nights under 55k now. Unfortunately Hilton doesn't have a big footprint in Tokyo (just a Hilton and Conrad) and the points costs are too high vs cash cost. So I am looking at the Shinagawa area (easy subway ride into the city), which is fairly close to the airport and much less expensive. I only have 1 full day in Tokyo so don't feel like I 'need' to be right in the heart of the action, especially since the hotel prices for September seem to be very expensive.

Just want to add that the advantage of the card is to spend towards status since it gives more elite nights per spend than the personal card. But if that's not the goal, CIU/CIC has the better SUB and no AF.
Yeah, that was what I was weighing in my mind. Without a FNC, and I don't chase status, I think I'll pass. I'm working on a CIC right now so I have 3 months to think about the next card. I do have a specific Hyatt stay in mind next year so I thought I'd research. thanks.

Week 2 and 3 previews of Daily Getaways now available: https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/
Looks like some Marriott gift cards... I think I've seen others get those. Hyatt points look enticing but there's only like 3 available, lol.
That's the only thing I try for (Marriott GC). My computer system is not fast enough to get the higher value ones, but I am usually able with patience to snag a few of the $100 ones (there are more of them available)

Shopping at Costco today and spending about $250. I had 3 visa gift cards. One had a hundred and another had about 20 on it. The 3rd was unused and had a 200 balance. I swiped the two smaller ones first to use them up and was going to put the remainder on the unused one. When I swiped it, it didn't go through and I was asked for an alternate payment. Cleared it and tried again. Same thing. Dug out a credit card and finished my transaction.

Once back in my car I called the number on the card, fearing it had been drained, but it confirmed there was $200 on the card.

Made another stop and used the card to make a small $10 purchase. I scanned it with no problem.

I was in self checkout and didn't get any help or ask any questions, but this has never happened to me before at Costco. I've used as many as 5 or 6 cards on one order, such as when I've purchased a laptop.

Anyone else have a problem using more than 2 visa gift cards at Costco recently? I'll be back in a few days and will try to use the card again as it was my last of the 5 I bought last week.

Shopping at Costco today and spending about $250. I had 3 visa gift cards. One had a hundred and another had about 20 on it. The 3rd was unused and had a 200 balance. I swiped the two smaller ones first to use them up and was going to put the remainder on the unused one. When I swiped it, it didn't go through and I was asked for an alternate payment. Cleared it and tried again. Same thing. Dug out a credit card and finished my transaction.

Once back in my car I called the number on the card, fearing it had been drained, but it confirmed there was $200 on the card.

Made another stop and used the card to make a small $10 purchase. I scanned it with no problem.

I was in self checkout and didn't get any help or ask any questions, but this has never happened to me before at Costco. I've used as many as 5 or 6 cards on one order, such as when I've purchased a laptop.

Anyone else have a problem using more than 2 visa gift cards at Costco recently? I'll be back in a few days and will try to use the card again as it was my last of the 5 I bought last week.
I often use up to 5 Visa GC with small amounts at the self checkout and get comments from the receipt checkers about why it is so long. I have occasionally had an issue with one that just wouldn't swipe, but not lately. (I was able to use it somewhere else, perhaps online) Glad it hadn't been drained!

I need to book a hotel in Tokyo for 2 nights on my way to Bali in September. I was hoping to use our 2 x Bonblah 35k FNCs, but not a single property in Tokyo that can be had for under 54k points (not even a Courtyard or Aloft). For the first time ever the Marriott FNCs may go to waste. Even the W in Toronto that was almost always available for around 50k doesn't have any nights under 55k now. Unfortunately Hilton doesn't have a big footprint in Tokyo (just a Hilton and Conrad) and the points costs are too high vs cash cost. So I am looking at the Shinagawa area (easy subway ride into the city), which is fairly close to the airport and much less expensive. I only have 1 full day in Tokyo so don't feel like I 'need' to be right in the heart of the action, especially since the hotel prices for September seem to be very expensive.
Have you tried using Pointsyeah.com? The hotel finder is pretty cool.
1712782988798.png

If anyone has current info on a tax payment not working with AMEX, can you please send it my way. FM just said it wouldn't be a problem, but it seems like I'm the unlucky one this time.

If anyone has current info on a tax payment not working with AMEX, can you please send it my way. FM just said it wouldn't be a problem, but it seems like I'm the unlucky one this time.

Did you do the charge using an instant card number? It's not even the taxes per se, but reps will use that as the excuse.

How long has it been since you met the MSR?

I often use up to 5 Visa GC with small amounts at the self checkout and get comments from the receipt checkers about why it is so long. I have occasionally had an issue with one that just wouldn't swipe, but not lately. (I was able to use it somewhere else, perhaps online) Glad it hadn't been drained!
Yes, that's what really jumped into my mind. Plus I had given one as a gift so I was worrying about that. Gave the person a call just in case. All's well.

Did you do the charge using an instant card number? It's not even the taxes per se, but reps will use that as the excuse.

How long has it been since you met the MSR?
No, I have the card. Still working on the MSR for it. In the past they have counted the taxes for MSR purposes. It's not in their list of things that don't qualify. I know people have been able to push it through but I really don't feel like fighting with them.

No, I have the card. Still working on the MSR for it. In the past they have counted the taxes for MSR purposes. It's not in their list of things that don't qualify. I know people have been able to push it through but I really don't feel like fighting with them.

I'm confused. Why do you think it won't count?

Would love to get some advice on this. DH wants to apply for the Hyatt Business card and the AMEX Platinum. He's currently at 1/24. Does it matter which one he applies to first? How long should he wait between applications? Or would it be better to apply for both at the same time?

Would love to get some advice on this. DH wants to apply for the Hyatt Business card and the AMEX Platinum. He's currently at 1/24. Does it matter which one he applies to first? How long should he wait between applications? Or would it be better to apply for both at the same time?
It would only matter if he's not already an AMEX cardholder. I would do them back to back, Hyatt then Plat.

Why does he want these 2 cards? I wouldn't want either.

Hyatt biz - high annual fee, no free night and a crazy, uh, not customer friendly SUB, of 60K points after 20K (at best) spend. He could earn that 60K and then some with a CIU and no AF. Or could pick a biz card with an annual fee that does better.

edit: I opened my Hyatt page and see they have the old offer of spend $5000 get 60k, and the $100 yearly credit. It's still skimpy on actual perks.

Well, maybe the Plat but timed to an ultra high SUB and an impending need for the perks.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think about the possibility of churning amex cards. I know there's lifetime language in pretty much everything but what does that really mean? 5? 7? years since you received the bonus? I have a bunch of amex points in planning to use up in the next year or two after that, in thinking to cancel cards, wait a year or so (doing chase offers) and then start applying for amex cards again. Will this work do you think?

I recently won a trip which included my airfare. I just received word that the flight would be delayed 4 hours. I have a feeling this is going to be a cancelled flight or a longer delay.
If I were to purchase upgraded boarding (flying Southwest), would I be able to utilize the trip protection insurance on my Sapphire card?

I have the Southwest Biz Premier card that has this benefit:

Benefit Overview
When you use your Rapid Rewards Credit Card to transfer points to another Rapid Rewards Member, fees associated with the transfer will be reimbursed – up to $500 in statement credits per anniversary year.

I am the card holder. Can this be used to transfer points from DHs account to my account? Or only from my account to someone else?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter