I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

App'd for the Surpass using Doc's link on July 19th.

My free night and 130K Hilton points are in my account this morning.

Now my debate with myself is do I blow through them in the next week or save them for a short trip next June.....

This is why I come to this thread.

I ALWAYS forget about transferring URs to partner programs.

THANK YOU! Wow... I might actually be able to do this and only have to pay resort fees and for food.. and maybe an airport transfer/Uber/whatever.

Thanks!
Hyatt doesn't charge resort fees on reward stays, so even better deal!
I am about to book Portofino Bay for tomorrow night. The weather in Orlando is super hot right now. I know my first purchase will be refillable cups:)

My rental car for the week is a 4 Runner (was only $317 for a week through Budget). My son was so excited. Boy do I miss my CRV hybrid!
We were going to do SeaWorld today, but woke up to a heat advisory on my phone so decided to stay in. Definitely keep yourselves hydrated!

Hyatt doesn't charge resort fees on reward stays, so even better deal!

We were going to do SeaWorld today, but woke up to a heat advisory on my phone so decided to stay in. Definitely keep yourselves hydrated!
We used to do Busch Gardens Williamsburg in this kind of weather and are use to high heat and humidity (Central Virginia is disgusting in July and August). I figure we can go back to the hotel as needed. But not really ideal.

We used to do Busch Gardens Williamsburg in this kind of weather and are use to high heat and humidity (Central Virginia is disgusting in July and August). I figure we can go back to the hotel as needed. But not really ideal.
Same. I grew up in Central Virginia. This summer has been extra here in Central Florida though. Monday was rough at Epcot.

We are doing 5 nights on Maui and 5 nights on Oahu, 2 of those nights being in Waikiki. I know many on this board have spent time in Hawaii though not so many recently. My DH lived in Hawaii for a few years before I met him but I have never been there. Thought about going to Kauai and the big Island but don't want to devote so much time to Inter island travel. Next time though! I've got our Oahu nights booked. Working on figuring out Maui now. Maybe 2 nights at the Grand Wailea and then 3 nights somewhere where it'll be "cheaper" and more practical to park a rental car ($65 a day valet only at the Grand Wailea). I'm open to advice also. Going early May 2024 right after finals for the adult kids.
When we did Hawaii we did 4 night on Oahu, 3 on Maui, 3 on The Big Island, and 2 more back on Oahu. We had friends living on Oahu at the time and wanted to spend time with them and enjoyed our time there.

We said if we ever go back we would spend a couple days on Oahu as there were a couple things we would like to do again, like Pearl and Diamond Head. But we would spend more time on Maui and would want to add Kauai and possibly the Big Island again to see the lava if it was flowing.

We didn't find the inter-island travel all that bad especially as the flights are so short. I remember the pilot making an announcement that our flight from Oahu to Maui would be 18 min and getting a kick out of it. But with only 10 nights I would probably only do two islands as well.

In Maui we stayed at a Best Western, its now I believe the Days Inn Maui Oceanfront, on S Kihei Rd, right near the Grand Wailea. Also stayed at the Royal Lahaina as we did the Luau there. Both were great places in good locations.

Enjoy you trip.

Momgenuity- bought the new Nightmare Before Christmas Little People for my preschooler who is OBSESSED. Knew hed want a vehicle for it so bought the Frozen sleigh toy and spraypainted it to look like Jack's sleigh from the movie.

This is churning related only in that this last minute birthday gift helps my minimum spend lol

In actual churning- a DP. Met Wyndham Barclays spend on 7/31. Points posted yesterday 8/5 when new statement cut.

Hawaii advice please

Let's say this is our first time to Hawaii (I've been, but it was 35 years ago. Husband has never been).

For first timers, would we be OK spending the whole week at a Waikiki area hotel?

Would we need a rental car to get from the airport (HNL) to that area? Do most hotels have airport shuttles, or no?

We don't need fancy, but I honestly don't even know where to start! We are OK mostly relaxing, enjoying beach time, and just chilling, but I don't know if Waikiki is the best way to do that or if we should look elsewhere.

For info, I am looking at January but that's only because I happened to check the BA site and I could get there on American entirely on points. I'm not tied to those dates but I don't want to pay OOP for tickets.

Bonus if I can use Chase URs/IHG points for a week's worth of hotel but that doesn't seem feasible right now (I have about 134K IHG and maybe 170K URs).
I definitely think you would enjoy it. On my first trip to HI, we only went to the Waikiki area and it was a great trip. We drove around the island one day and stopped around the North Shore, saw Pearl Harbor, did the Dole tour. We also did some beach time of course. The second trip we stayed on the big island, mainly at the resort. Very different experiences but both well worth it. My brother's family just took their first HI trip over July 4 and stayed in Waikiki. they did several activities around the island and loved it as well.

Okay, sticking my toe in the water! I read the sticky notes. :)

I have one credit card. Capital One. I pay it off in full every month. I average about $2500 or more in charges each month.
I have not applied for any other cards in years.
We typically fly out of Boston Logan Airport.
Yes, Southwest services three airports within 90 minutes of our home.
I like Marriott Bonvoy, but I am not married to it if I can do better. I have some rewards there, not a ton.
We have flown so many different airlines I may have a few points in different rewards programs, but nothing substantial.
I have cash rewards sitting in my Capital One Rewards card.

My goal is to reduce our costs for travel so that we can travel more. The goal in the near future would be a big anniversary trip in summer of 2024. There may be some smaller trips in the meantime, but that the big ticket one I want to plan for. It would be for my spouse and I, but we have kicked around the idea of the five members of the family going together.

I think this is a good start? Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to give me your thoughts and advice

Okay, sticking my toe in the water! I read the sticky notes. :)

I have one credit card. Capital One. I pay it off in full every month. I average about $2500 or more in charges each month.
I have not applied for any other cards in years.
We typically fly out of Boston Logan Airport.
Yes, Southwest services three airports within 90 minutes of our home.
I like Marriott Bonvoy, but I am not married to it if I can do better. I have some rewards there, not a ton.
We have flown so many different airlines I may have a few points in different rewards programs, but nothing substantial.
I have cash rewards sitting in my Capital One Rewards card.

My goal is to reduce our costs for travel so that we can travel more. The goal in the near future would be a big anniversary trip in summer of 2024. There may be some smaller trips in the meantime, but that the big ticket one I want to plan for. It would be for my spouse and I, but we have kicked around the idea of the five members of the family going together.

I think this is a good start? Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to give me your thoughts and advice
Chase is probably the way to go since you are probably 0/24. Chase URs are easy to use and transfer to airlines/hotels. Best bet though is to get planning on the 2024 trip, find our your preferred airline and hotel for that trip and then see what cards might work. Many of us plan 2-3 years out to have enough points for a trip. Also is your spouse willing to be P2? Don't make P2 an AU on your cards, they can apply for their own and earn more points.

We are doing 5 nights on Maui and 5 nights on Oahu, 2 of those nights being in Waikiki. I know many on this board have spent time in Hawaii though not so many recently. My DH lived in Hawaii for a few years before I met him but I have never been there. Thought about going to Kauai and the big Island but don't want to devote so much time to Inter island travel. Next time though! I've got our Oahu nights booked. Working on figuring out Maui now. Maybe 2 nights at the Grand Wailea and then 3 nights somewhere where it'll be "cheaper" and more practical to park a rental car ($65 a day valet only at the Grand Wailea). I'm open to advice also. Going early May 2024 right after finals for the adult kids.

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for 3 nights on 3 FNCs. Used up 2 Aspire resort credits stacked with an Amex Offer. Plus there was a double points promotion at the time. Felt like I got such a good deal that I didn't even remember there was a parking fee (looked back on my spreadsheet and it was $45/day back then).

Momgenuity- bought the new Nightmare Before Christmas Little People for my preschooler who is OBSESSED. Knew hed want a vehicle for it so bought the Frozen sleigh toy and spraypainted it to look like Jack's sleigh from the movie.

This is churning related only in that this last minute birthday gift helps my minimum spend lol

In actual churning- a DP. Met Wyndham Barclays spend on 7/31. Points posted yesterday 8/5 when new statement cut.
Oh man, Little People, that takes me back. My oldest DS (now 21) was obsessed with them too. We still have LP toys in the attic! I'm certain I'm more attached to them than he is. I miss those days! Enjoy your little one. It goes by way too fast. :)

Not sure if anyone posted back in June when this article came out, but it was reprinted today in our local paper and this guy a miles HERO. He purchased a lifetime pass from United back in 1990 and has earned millions of miles. And United apparently loves him! Fun read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/23/united-airlines-very-frequent-flyer/
I don’t remember if it was posted here but do remember reading about him. It’s an awesome story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter