I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Sounds fun! I'm getting antsy for our trip.
So everyone takes tips in USD? I have been before but don't recall details as it's been 9 years. We have private tours and transfers booked on an agreed upon price which I assume is cash but will confirm before leaving that he takes USD. He encouraged me to let my DS 14 have some fun on zip line and tubing though I can't do either. Hopefully I can manage the hike to waterfalls.

Would you share who you booked your tours through and what tours?

My Hilton Diamond status seems to have been extended to March 31, 2024. This was the Covid Diamond status that was given and was set to expire in March, 2023 and I definitely haven't earned it organically. I hope its not an error as I've got a couple of stays this year at Hilton that would be nice to enjoy some benefits - not that I've ever received any upgrade or real benefit except for 2 M&M bags at a Home2Suites :laughing:

I'm not very good at tracking HH points on a monthly basis. Does anyone know if they deduct the points from your balance when you book or is it when you actually stay?

I don't know about the 6 months validity. But I will advise not to chance the mail renewal without paying for expedited. My kids needed passports and it took 16 weeks (rather than the quoted 8-11 weeks) for us to get them from the day we submitted applications at the post office to the day they arrived in the mail. I had plenty of time, so I wasn't in a rush but in your case I definitely wouldn't risk it.
Wow, Thanks for letting me know your experience! 16 weeks is quite a leap from 11 weeks… not just a few days difference! So I looked at multiple sources (dept of state, us embassy site for Japan, etc) and they all state that the passport just needs validity for the duration of your stay, no longer, so I am pretty certain I’m good with using it as is. Then I’ll do regular renewal when we return. The fact that it took you 16 weeks is exactly what would probably happen to me since I’m in a time crunch and have the worst luck! At this point I don’t even trust I’d get the expedited on time… 😬 Totally my fault for this though… I could have swore my passport didn’t expire until next year! Thankfully it seems like I’m okay but it could have gone a lot different if we were going somewhere else. Good reminder for all, check those passport expiration dates!

SI would have loved to do the zip line and tubing, but I am firmly in the camp of 20yr old brain/70yr old body - the gap between the two representing something close to my actual age - need to do some work reconciling that difference soon. :o
I feel you on that. I still can't raise my arm above my head or lift more than 5 lbs after my shoulder fracture last year, so obviously zip lining is out for me. DH should be ok and DS will love it.
Would you share who you booked your tours through and what tours?
He's someone recommended on another website. His tours are whatever you want. He's providing transport from LIR to Andaz, and Andaz to Los Altos, plus a day with zip lining, tubing, hot springs and hiking. I'll PM you info.

I am very partial to the Inks. Since no one knows when the 90k SUB will end I'd go for that as long as you can meet the $6k spend.

I need a new card and am torn between the Cap One Venture X, the 100k Hilton basic card and a Marriott for dd (would transfer the points to me). I found the Vanna Belle (Marriott) in Koh Samui and think I might prefer it over the Conrad since it is better located for what I want to do. But since I haven't had a new AmEx card in over 2 yrs I'm leaning towards the 100K SUB basic Hilton card for me and a Marriott card for dd (I can easily meet the MSR for both). But I could really use the 75k points from the Cap One to move to Aeroplan. Is it possible to do the basic Hilton and the Cap One Venture a day or two apart? I haven't applied for a personal card since Dec. '21, but suspect that Barclay pulled my credit for the Biz Aviator.
You may want to do Cap One before Amex if you go for both. Cap One can be weird. I was denied for a Venture card a few months ago. My stats were fine with no personal cards in a long time. Oh well. I got a different card at another bank instead.

When cancelling a sw card, and then reapplying, is it a rule that you have to wait 30 days? Or might it work with less than 30 days?

Had some new chase offers and finally got 1 of the restaurant offer and on my Disney card which rarely has good offers. Also have 5 guys on two cards which would've been great this afternoon when I got lunch but working on msr so ok.
Thanks. I have the restaurant offer on even more cards now. Question though. It’s in my Disney card but only on my husbands login. It’s a joint account with the same card number. It should trigger with my card too yes?

My Hilton Diamond status seems to have been extended to March 31, 2024. This was the Covid Diamond status that was given and was set to expire in March, 2023 and I definitely haven't earned it organically. I hope its not an error as I've got a couple of stays this year at Hilton that would be nice to enjoy some benefits - not that I've ever received any upgrade or real benefit except for 2 M&M bags at a Home2Suites :laughing:

I'm not very good at tracking HH points on a monthly basis. Does anyone know if they deduct the points from your balance when you book or is it when you actually stay?
Hilton has different offers to extend diamond status. My offer was get diamond status until March 31, 2024 with 3 stays; since I was at the WA Cabo and had Conrad London booked for 2 weeks from now (2 rooms -- 1 each for ds and I) I thought that I'd qualify. I called the diamond desk and they said the 2 rooms will only count as 1 for status, so I booked a prepaid rate at a local Hilton for $125.00 to retain status (easily worth it). I've had some great welcome gifts and always free breakfast with my Hilton stays so I was happy to have a way to retain it.

I applied for the Cap One Venture X and was auto approved with a $30k credit limit (I need to lower this ASAP). I was browsing the offers on the card and OMgosh there are so many. I can using this card for online shopping as the offers are all higher than what I've seen on any of my Chase cards (Shop Disney is 6%). I don't see a limit on the offers like Chase has -- does anyone know if there is a limit?

Finally received notification from Chase that 1 of my restaurant offers has credited (used 2 last week). Now that I know they will work here I'll do 3 more this week!

Hilton has different offers to extend diamond status. My offer was get diamond status until March 31, 2024 with 3 stays; since I was at the WA Cabo and had Conrad London booked for 2 weeks from now (2 rooms -- 1 each for ds and I) I thought that I'd qualify. I called the diamond desk and they said the 2 rooms will only count as 1 for status, so I booked a prepaid rate at a local Hilton for $125.00 to retain status (easily worth it). I've had some great welcome gifts and always free breakfast with my Hilton stays so I was happy to have a way to retain it.

I applied for the Cap One Venture X and was auto approved with a $30k credit limit (I need to lower this ASAP). I was browsing the offers on the card and OMgosh there are so many. I can using this card for online shopping as the offers are all higher than what I've seen on any of my Chase cards (Shop Disney is 6%). I don't see a limit on the offers like Chase has -- does anyone know if there is a limit?

Finally received notification from Chase that 1 of my restaurant offers has credited (used 2 last week). Now that I know they will work here I'll do 3 more this week!

Congrats on the approval! I’m not sure you need to lower the CL. I don’t think I’ve seen any discussion about that for Cap1.

Curious why not get the Aspire for Diamond status?

Thanks. I have the restaurant offer on even more cards now. Question though. It’s in my Disney card but only on my husbands login. It’s a joint account with the same card number. It should trigger with my card too yes?
Yes it will trigger the offer

HH deducts points when you book. I have several hotel stays booked for May and those points are gone from my acct. They have always been immediately redeposited if I cancel.
When cancelling a sw card, and then reapplying, is it a rule that you have to wait 30 days? Or might it work with less than 30 days?
I was the original DP on this back in 2020. As far as we know, you still have to wait. They told me the original acct is basically only paused for those 30 days and can be reactivated during that time.

So we did a coffee and chocolate tour and mistico hanging bridges tour both booked through the chase portal. We also did a one day combo with Safari Float, La Fortuna Waterfall and Base of Volcano hike which we booked directly with Jacamar Naturalist Tours. This is the same tour company used if you book at the Tabacon concierge but they will charge you 20% more for the privilege. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our tours, but would have liked to try something a bit more adventurous had we have been in better physical condition. Next time maybe.

As for cash - most importantly - bring plenty small bills for tipping. I ran out of small bills pretty quick. I did get some CRCs from the ATM in the baggage hall at Liberia, but I honestly think you could probably getaway with using USD the whole trip if you wanted to. Most places in the tourist areas will give you a price in CRC or USD. In any case, credit cards were accepted everywhere as far as I can recall, but we were only using Visa CCs and were told that Amex can be hit or miss.
Thanks for the tips! :)
Did you notice if any of the activities are all booked out that we'd get turned away the day of? I'd love to do the hanging bridges, waterfall, and hikes. DH and I are physically capable, but we're not sure our 3- and 5-year-olds would be able to handle it. Thinking we'd just show up, and see how they do...

We're also looking at the Don Juan coffee and chocolate tour. That's easy for the little ones.

I read somewhere, possibly on Reddit, that 3rd party delivery services are excluded so I decided to scrap it. Sadly I have around 9 credits that will go unused. We hardly ever eat out, and I don’t drink coffee.

I just got the "Congrats! You've successfully redeemed" email from Chase, so GrubHub works! Assuming UberEats will too, if you have use for either delivery service.

Congrats on the approval! I’m not sure you need to lower the CL. I don’t think I’ve seen any discussion about that for Cap1.

Curious why not get the Aspire for Diamond status?
I cancelled the Aspire in February, 2021 (which I regret). When my diamond status runs out in 2024 I'll probably sign dd up for the Aspire. I will get the Surpass at some point and hopefully an upgrade offer to the Aspire.

Anyone familiar with the Dubai airport? Specifically terminal 3 for Emirates?

My parents have an early morning arrival into DBX from TPE at 4:15am.

They are meeting up with a tour group flying from JFK to DBX arriving at 7:50am.

After they retrieve their luggage, is there anywhere in the airport to wait comfortably for the other group?

Are there any restaurants open at such an early hour? Basically, the middle of the night? Are most of the restaurants and shops inside security clearance?

Just wondering how secure their checked in luggage will be if they don't claim them right away?

Maybe have them have an early leisurely breakfast before claiming them? But I think you have to claim your luggage and go through customs/immigration first since it is an international flight?

I'd rather they not have to sit and wait 3.5 hours at baggage claim for the rest of their party if I can help it...

Thanks for the tips! :)
Did you notice if any of the activities are all booked out that we'd get turned away the day of? I'd love to do the hanging bridges, waterfall, and hikes. DH and I are physically capable, but we're not sure our 3- and 5-year-olds would be able to handle it. Thinking we'd just show up, and see how they do...

We're also looking at the Don Juan coffee and chocolate tour. That's easy for the little ones.

hanging bridges and waterfall you can definitely just show up if you are just doing your own thing. Guided tours may sell out, but even most of those were bookable up to day before when we traveled.

Hanging bridges are stroller suitable if needed. Not overly strenuous so I would think would be ok for your kids. Waterfall will probably be fine as long as the kids aren't tired.

DD wants a new credit card. She's in school full time, works part-time (in retail) and has had a Chase Freedom Student for about 1.5 years. Any recommendations?

Any recommendations for stylish walking sandals/flip flops and sneakers. After walking this weekend at USO in my flip flops and Rothy’s sneakers and getting 3 blisters, I need better walking shoes for Europe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter