I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

With Ireland only a month away, I feel like I'm in denial we're going, LOL. I don't feel like we've really done anything other than book the airfare (still need the flight home BOS to DTW), car and hotels. I did get a plug for our phones, LOL. And I think we're going to rent the wifi hotspot for all of us to use while there.

I feel like I've done more to prep for Mexico (which will be my 3rd trip) in 9 days, then I have for Ireland. I'm sure we'll be fine once we're there. Just kinda seems surreal something I promised my 17yo almost 13 years ago is almost here! AHHHHHHH!

I feel that way about Japan but because it's the 3rd time I've booked it. I need to at least figure out how far out some stuff needs to be booked but I just can't get into it yet. I've got san jose in 2 weeks, but it's easy and I know what I'm doing. Then wdw/Phoenix next month which is mostly done though I'm concerned about packing for phx and the weather forecast changing from when I pack to when I get there after 5 days in wdw.

Then I have dlr the beginning of August for the dis party they are doing. It's booked but I want to use their hotel block/hopefully deal but it's not out yet and this is causing me more issues than not having stuff for Japan totally figured out.

I dunno, I think part of it is almost shock (not the right word) that I'm actually finally going to get to go to japan after planning since 2018.

SO I just pulled out my passport to check it, thinking it expires in 2024. Nope, it expires in the beginning of Sept 2023. We are doing Japan in mid May, so there will only be a little over 3 months validity left on the passport. I've read online that Japan doesn't require 6 months validity to enter, just that your passport is valid for your entire stay. Can anyone confirm that's true?

I don't think I'll have time to do a mail renewal before we leave (with quoted 11 week turnaround time) since that only leaves 1 week buffer before we leave and that makes me really nervous. And I really don't want to pay to expedite it.
I don't know about the 6 months validity. But I will advise not to chance the mail renewal without paying for expedited. My kids needed passports and it took 16 weeks (rather than the quoted 8-11 weeks) for us to get them from the day we submitted applications at the post office to the day they arrived in the mail. I had plenty of time, so I wasn't in a rush but in your case I definitely wouldn't risk it.

I applied for a CIC and was denied. It would have been my 4th Ink in 13 months with the last one on Nov 1, so I had a feeling I was pushing my luck. What percentage of total income to credit ratio does Chase prefer? I searched but couldn't find it.

I probably need to reduce some of my credit limits. IIRC, there are some factors to consider when reducing credit limits (maybe with downgrading cards and/or transferring credit between cards). Anything specific I need to keep in mind with reducing the following card limits:
CSP
CIC
CIU
CFF
CFU

It's 50% of income or around $75k, whichever is lower. If Chase has been giving you low biz CL, then reduce the personals so you can still move the biz CL if you need it.

What denial reason did they give? I don't see anything that jumps out at me here, unless you've also gotten other Chase cards during this time besides the Inks?

This happened to me. I told them I didn't authorize them to do this and essentially had to file a claim with PP but I am not sure that will result in anything helpful. Fortunately, it wasn't for property taxes, just a utility bill but it is SUPER annoying. I removed my bank account information from my account to see if I can make it work that way for next time.
Me too! It was really annoying because mine was a large bill and would have knocked out the entire MSR on my card. Lesson learned, I've removed my bank account. Paypal refused to do anything when I tried to get their customer service to correct it. Hope you have better luck!

Amazing, it'll be our first time to CR too! We have 4 nights booked also at the Tabacon Thermal Resort. What kind of activities did you do around that area? I haven't planned anything yet. Also, did you need any cash or cc is generally taken everywhere? Debating if I should pull out cash after arrival at the airport...

So we did a coffee and chocolate tour and mistico hanging bridges tour both booked through the chase portal. We also did a one day combo with Safari Float, La Fortuna Waterfall and Base of Volcano hike which we booked directly with Jacamar Naturalist Tours. This is the same tour company used if you book at the Tabacon concierge but they will charge you 20% more for the privilege. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our tours, but would have liked to try something a bit more adventurous had we have been in better physical condition. Next time maybe.

As for cash - most importantly - bring plenty small bills for tipping. I ran out of small bills pretty quick. I did get some CRCs from the ATM in the baggage hall at Liberia, but I honestly think you could probably getaway with using USD the whole trip if you wanted to. Most places in the tourist areas will give you a price in CRC or USD. In any case, credit cards were accepted everywhere as far as I can recall, but we were only using Visa CCs and were told that Amex can be hit or miss.

Last edited:
It's 50% of income or around $75k, whichever is lower. If Chase has been giving you low biz CL, then reduce the personals so you can still move the biz CL if you need it.

What denial reason did they give? I don't see anything that jumps out at me here, unless you've also gotten other Chase cards during this time besides the Inks?
No other Chase personals. And I had been receiving higher biz limits than others were reporting.They didn’t give a reason, just the we will send you more info in 7-10 days. I’m probably close to my 50%.

Did you find out? I just did a Grubhub order this week, so I'll find out in a week or so. I'll try to remember to report back.
I read somewhere, possibly on Reddit, that 3rd party delivery services are excluded so I decided to scrap it. Sadly I have around 9 credits that will go unused. We hardly ever eat out, and I don’t drink coffee.

We're doing an Italy trip this November and found that we need to change our return. Had to cancel the previous booking with Air France (biz) and rebooked with Emirates (biz). Had to use up a lot of MRs and will have points tied up with Air France into we return to Europe. Now I don't have enough for Japan Nov 2024, so need to start addressing that. DH and I each have biz and vanilla Palts so I'm thinking of trying to pull up a 130K offer for a Gold and then refer DH. But is there something else I should be looking at instead? Anything else elevated rn? We each recently got Inks (my second), and I was going to get another since mine was from last Sep

With Ireland only a month away, I feel like I'm in denial we're going, LOL. I don't feel like we've really done anything other than book the airfare (still need the flight home BOS to DTW), car and hotels. I did get a plug for our phones, LOL. And I think we're going to rent the wifi hotspot for all of us to use while there.

I feel like I've done more to prep for Mexico (which will be my 3rd trip) in 9 days, then I have for Ireland. I'm sure we'll be fine once we're there. Just kinda seems surreal something I promised my 17yo almost 13 years ago is almost here! AHHHHHHH!

I'm excited for you!

If it's any consolation for your planning/lack of planning, I'm finding people say you don't want to 'overschedule' yourself when you are in Ireland because you might just find a place or a pub or whatever that you want to spend more time doing.

Now, that's causing me (chronic planner) a bit of a challenge because while that sounds lovely, I don't want to leave a place and then find out "you didn't go SEE ________?!?!".

I think I'm just going to think about this way for each area we're staying when we go in June. I'll have a few choices for if it's a glorious sunny day (lol), a few things if it's iffy weather, and at least something to do if it's a washout.

Of course, SOME things require reservations, so I have to figure that out too, lol.

Ugh, speaking of my Ireland trip. Just today I bought $200 Airbnb GC from Harris Teeter (4x fuel points) to go toward the final payments for 1 of our AIRBNBs.

I literally just scratched the card to reveal the PIN and the AIRBNB is saying it has already been redeemed.

Now, I just bought it today, I wonder if it takes some time to register what amount I purchased (it was a $25-$500 card)? I've never tried to load them right away.

But the message is "Looks like this gift card has already been redeemed."

Anyone experience this?

EDIT! I got on with chat and they said "look in your account, it's loaded". I swear I did not hit REDEEM twice, my husband was standing right here reading the PIN to me. Oh well, at least I don't have to fight for $200. Lesson: check your balance for GCs if something funky happens, it may have loaded.

Last edited:
I read somewhere, possibly on Reddit, that 3rd party delivery services are excluded so I decided to scrap it. Sadly I have around 9 credits that will go unused. We hardly ever eat out, and I don’t drink coffee.

I've read that Fluz app works if the place codes dining. Debating if I should try that or keep reloading Chick-fil-A.

Chipotle reload doesn't work. I should have known when it rerouted to wgiftcard.com, but I wasn't paying attention. Luckily only tried it on one card.

So we did a coffee and chocolate tour and mistico hanging bridges tour both booked through the chase portal. We also did a one day combo with Safari Float, La Fortuna Waterfall and Base of Volcano hike which we booked directly with Jacamar Naturalist Tours. This is the same tour company used if you book at the Tabacon concierge but they will charge you 20% more for the privilege. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our tours, but would have liked to try something a bit more adventurous had we have been in better physical condition. Next time maybe.

As for cash - most importantly - bring plenty small bills for tipping. I ran out of small bills pretty quick. I did get some CRCs from the ATM in the baggage hall at Liberia, but I honestly think you could probably getaway with using USD the whole trip if you wanted to. Most places in the tourist areas will give you a price in CRC or USD. In any case, credit cards were accepted everywhere as far as I can recall, but we were only using Visa CCs and were told that Amex can be hit or miss.
Sounds fun! I'm getting antsy for our trip.
So everyone takes tips in USD? I have been before but don't recall details as it's been 9 years. We have private tours and transfers booked on an agreed upon price which I assume is cash but will confirm before leaving that he takes USD. He encouraged me to let my DS 14 have some fun on zip line and tubing though I can't do either. Hopefully I can manage the hike to waterfalls.

I'm excited for you!

If it's any consolation for your planning/lack of planning, I'm finding people say you don't want to 'overschedule' yourself when you are in Ireland because you might just find a place or a pub or whatever that you want to spend more time doing.

Now, that's causing me (chronic planner) a bit of a challenge because while that sounds lovely, I don't want to leave a place and then find out "you didn't go SEE ________?!?!".

I think I'm just going to think about this way for each area we're staying when we go in June. I'll have a few choices for if it's a glorious sunny day (lol), a few things if it's iffy weather, and at least something to do if it's a washout.

Of course, SOME things require reservations, so I have to figure that out too, lol.
I've run into the same thing planning for Ireland in March. We only have a week and I really don't have much planned... just one tour so far. I'm trying not to panic. Lol

We're doing an Italy trip this November and found that we need to change our return. Had to cancel the previous booking with Air France (biz) and rebooked with Emirates (biz). Had to use up a lot of MRs and will have points tied up with Air France into we return to Europe. Now I don't have enough for Japan Nov 2024, so need to start addressing that. DH and I each have biz and vanilla Palts so I'm thinking of trying to pull up a 130K offer for a Gold and then refer DH. But is there something else I should be looking at instead? Anything else elevated rn? We each recently got Inks (my second), and I was going to get another since mine was from last Sep
I am very partial to the Inks. Since no one knows when the 90k SUB will end I'd go for that as long as you can meet the $6k spend.

I need a new card and am torn between the Cap One Venture X, the 100k Hilton basic card and a Marriott for dd (would transfer the points to me). I found the Vanna Belle (Marriott) in Koh Samui and think I might prefer it over the Conrad since it is better located for what I want to do. But since I haven't had a new AmEx card in over 2 yrs I'm leaning towards the 100K SUB basic Hilton card for me and a Marriott card for dd (I can easily meet the MSR for both). But I could really use the 75k points from the Cap One to move to Aeroplan. Is it possible to do the basic Hilton and the Cap One Venture a day or two apart? I haven't applied for a personal card since Dec. '21, but suspect that Barclay pulled my credit for the Biz Aviator.

Sounds fun! I'm getting antsy for our trip.
So everyone takes tips in USD? I have been before but don't recall details as it's been 9 years. We have private tours and transfers booked on an agreed upon price which I assume is cash but will confirm before leaving that he takes USD. He encouraged me to let my DS 14 have some fun on zip line and tubing though I can't do either. Hopefully I can manage the hike to waterfalls.

Well, no-one refused our USD tips, and I saw other folks tipping USD so I expect it is fairly normal. the ATM at the airport was only issuing bills of 5000CRCs and larger - it took a while for me to get my hands on some 1000/2000 CRC bills which I then also used for tipping to help out with my shortage of USD small bills. Interestingly, some of the ATMs we saw will dispense USD or CRC.

I would have loved to do the zip line and tubing, but I am firmly in the camp of 20yr old brain/70yr old body - the gap between the two representing something close to my actual age - need to do some work reconciling that difference soon. :o

I am very partial to the Inks. Since no one knows when the 90k SUB will end I'd go for that as long as you can meet the $6k spend.

I need a new card and am torn between the Cap One Venture X, the 100k Hilton basic card and a Marriott for dd (would transfer the points to me). I found the Vanna Belle (Marriott) in Koh Samui and think I might prefer it over the Conrad since it is better located for what I want to do. But since I haven't had a new AmEx card in over 2 yrs I'm leaning towards the 100K SUB basic Hilton card for me and a Marriott card for dd (I can easily meet the MSR for both). But I could really use the 75k points from the Cap One to move to Aeroplan. Is it possible to do the basic Hilton and the Cap One Venture a day or two apart? I haven't applied for a personal card since Dec. '21, but suspect that Barclay pulled my credit for the Biz Aviator.

Since you're an existing Amex customer, they probably won't hard pull you. Cap1 will pull all 3 credit reports and approval is unpredictable (no recon either). Both DH and I have been denied before, so I've stayed away. If I ever wanted to try again, I'd aim for low inquiries, low new personal cards, answer the carry balance question yes, and have high balances on my personal cards that have reported to to the credit agencies. But even then, no idea if I'd be approved.

Pretty sure Barclays pulled your credit, Chase will have for the Inks as well.

I've run into the same thing planning for Ireland in March. We only have a week and I really don't have much planned... just one tour so far. I'm trying not to panic. Lol
I have nothing planned for our trip in March, but I've been there 3 or 4 times before so other than the Book of Kells (again), there's nothing I "must" do. I approach my favorite cities in Europe (Edinburgh, Dublin, Budapest, and Prague) like I used to approach Disney World-I'm not killing myself to do everything in one trip, I'll be back 😂

I have nothing planned for our trip in March, but I've been there 3 or 4 times before so other than the Book of Kells (again), there's nothing I "must" do. I approach my favorite cities in Europe (Edinburgh, Dublin, Budapest, and Prague) like I used to approach Disney World-I'm not killing myself to do everything in one trip, I'll be back 😂
I've also been there before. I guess that's why we're winging it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter