I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

So my Hyatt Q1 bonus was 20% back on points redemptions up to max 30,000pts. I wasn't 100% sure it would work on reservations I already had outstanding, but can now confirm that I received my 30,000 points back on my Costa Rica trip which was booked 9 months ago.

Happy days - that's like getting 1.5 nights free. :jumping1:

I received an email in early Jan - i think there were several different offers sent out to Globalists. It was also mentioned on DoC, but I can't search that right now as DoC seems to be down.
That is so great! My offer was a free night...after spending 3 nights by March 19. Of course, we're spending 8 nights at 3 different Hyatts starting March 24. 🤦‍♀️

The relevant section would be this one:

So nuclear family member and they wouldn't need to be AU is how I read it. Sounds like AUs would be covered as well without being a nuclear family member? Not sure if that would only apply to the plat AUs vs the free gold AUs.
Hmm. I wonder how they see adult kids over 26 who are AU on the account. DD will turn 26 this year and I guess I need to read more carefully.

The points should post within a few days of the statement closing. As long as you cancel within 30 days of the AF posting it will be credited.
This reminded me to check my accts..... so the SWA cc I closed by calling last week is still showing the AF as a charge,even tho it's closed..... (the other swa cc I sm'ed to close,and the AF was removed on its own) should I call in to ask for removal? What's the number to call in for the SWA biz cc? ( I already disposed of the closed card)

Which CC is best for rental car coverage? Of the premium cards, we have a CSR, Venture X, and Amex Gold (likely will be PCing the Gold once the annual fee hits). If it matters, we'll be renting from Avis and DH will likely be driving. Of these 3 cards, the only one he is an AU on is the Venture X. TIA!

I am looking to see if there are recommendations for more specifically travel cc. At this time my most recent cards are Target Redcard 5/21
Southwest Premier 6/21
Sam's Mastercard 11/21
I do have a portfolio of branded cards (Amazon, Disney, etc.) so I am okay if the new card is branded too.
What I have been looking at is the higher end cards for Hilton, Marriott, etc. I have been watching a lot of videos specifically with the Aspire card.
Since my family has the Southwest Premier, we try to fly exclusively with them. We are out of PHX.
Most of my current cards are no AF so if I stop using those while focusing on the new card I don't mind that.
How I would use those reward nights would be a one or two days before/after a WDW vacation as we have DVC points then a trip once or twice on our off years to other places (typically to California or Utah). The downside I am seeing to Marriott Boundless is that the night has a point limit and most of the hotels I was looking always exceed those points. I am leaning toward Hilton Aspire as you get a reward night no matter the cost of the hotel plus $250 for a couple nights at a less expensive hotels. I am just trying to make sure I get the most out of the annual fees. Aspire $450 vs Boundless $95
Maybe I am overthinking this but maybe there are suggestions for another card I am unaware of.
I have not applied for AE cards before, I have heard there are many places that may not take it if I were to travel outside the country, which I plan to do in the near future.
I am looking at planning a trip the first week of March, if I were to apply for a card would put those expenses on the card to get the MSR. I would try to also use as many benefits of said card on that trip.
Thank you for your help

Thank you! Just to confirm, it won't matter that his name isn't on the card if he's the one driving, then? Just want to make sure!
If the rental is in his name..in my experience they will only let you use a card in his name. I have the CSR and always book in my name and add DH as an additional driver, which is free through my Costco bookings

Is Amex Plat worth if you travel once a year. If you can get 100000 MR points for the first year? Then go back to gold after.

Is Amex Plat worth if you travel once a year. If you can get 100000 MR points for the first year? Then go back to gold after.
If you have not had a Platinum (vanilla) before, then the Resy Platinum offer is really nice. You get the 100k MR, plus up to 250,000 MR on dining over 6 months. https://resy.com/amex-offers?date=2023-02-11&seats=2

You can downgrade in a year if you want to, but I'd get a Blue Business Plus card ($0 AF) to protect any unused MR and then just apply for a Gold card to get another sign up bonus (Resy or otherwise).

If you have not had a Platinum (vanilla) before, then the Resy Platinum offer is really nice. You get the 100k MR, plus up to 250,000 MR on dining over 6 months. https://resy.com/amex-offers?date=2023-02-11&seats=2

You can downgrade in a year if you want to, but I'd get a Blue Business Plus card ($0 AF) to protect any unused MR and then just apply for a Gold card to get another sign up bonus (Resy or otherwise).

I've decided to keep my Amex Pers Plat for another year, but can you downgrade to a Biz Card? Or is there a personal equivalent?

I am looking to see if there are recommendations for more specifically travel cc. At this time my most recent cards are Target Redcard 5/21
Southwest Premier 6/21
Sam's Mastercard 11/21
I do have a portfolio of branded cards (Amazon, Disney, etc.) so I am okay if the new card is branded too.
What I have been looking at is the higher end cards for Hilton, Marriott, etc. I have been watching a lot of videos specifically with the Aspire card.
Since my family has the Southwest Premier, we try to fly exclusively with them. We are out of PHX.
Most of my current cards are no AF so if I stop using those while focusing on the new card I don't mind that.
How I would use those reward nights would be a one or two days before/after a WDW vacation as we have DVC points then a trip once or twice on our off years to other places (typically to California or Utah). The downside I am seeing to Marriott Boundless is that the night has a point limit and most of the hotels I was looking always exceed those points. I am leaning toward Hilton Aspire as you get a reward night no matter the cost of the hotel plus $250 for a couple nights at a less expensive hotels. I am just trying to make sure I get the most out of the annual fees. Aspire $450 vs Boundless $95
Maybe I am overthinking this but maybe there are suggestions for another card I am unaware of.
I have not applied for AE cards before, I have heard there are many places that may not take it if I were to travel outside the country, which I plan to do in the near future.
I am looking at planning a trip the first week of March, if I were to apply for a card would put those expenses on the card to get the MSR. I would try to also use as many benefits of said card on that trip.
Thank you for your help

The Aspire is a great card. Pays for itself and more if you can use the credits. As you mentioned, there is no points cap on the free night, however you can only use it on standard awards. Depending on the hotel, this can take some advance planning to find. If you were looking at the Waldorf Orlando, I think that one isn't usually too bad. Since you mentioned California, Waldorf Beverly Hills, Waldorf Monarch Beach. LXR Oceana Santa Monica, and the new Conrad LA are the ones I have my eye on for max value on the FNC.

Keep in mind that the Hilton resort credit only applies to resorts on the list. Link Room rate would work only if it's charged by the hotel and not in advance by corporate.

I think Amex if more widely accepted now, but it might depend on the country. I was just in Japan and didn't have any issues.

I've decided to keep my Amex Pers Plat for another year, but can you downgrade to a Biz Card? Or is there a personal equivalent?

You can't PC between personal and biz. You can downgrade to the personal green or gold, but both have annual fees. Keep in mind that if you PC to a card you haven't had before, you lock yourself out of the bonus.

Last edited:
With Ireland only a month away, I feel like I'm in denial we're going, LOL. I don't feel like we've really done anything other than book the airfare (still need the flight home BOS to DTW), car and hotels. I did get a plug for our phones, LOL. And I think we're going to rent the wifi hotspot for all of us to use while there.

I feel like I've done more to prep for Mexico (which will be my 3rd trip) in 9 days, then I have for Ireland. I'm sure we'll be fine once we're there. Just kinda seems surreal something I promised my 17yo almost 13 years ago is almost here! AHHHHHHH!

I applied for a CIC and was denied. It would have been my 4th Ink in 13 months with the last one on Nov 1, so I had a feeling I was pushing my luck. What percentage of total income to credit ratio does Chase prefer? I searched but couldn't find it.

I probably need to reduce some of my credit limits. IIRC, there are some factors to consider when reducing credit limits (maybe with downgrading cards and/or transferring credit between cards). Anything specific I need to keep in mind with reducing the following card limits:
CSP
CIC
CIU
CFF
CFU

Hey Costa Rica fans - currently on day2 at the Andaz having just spent 4 nights at the Tabacon Thermal Resort. Just wanted to pop in here and let y’all know - this place is amazing - and I mean the country not just the hotels. We are loving our time here. People and staff are so cheerful and friendly- nothing is too much trouble.

This is our first time in CR and we are already trying to figure out when we can return. I can seriously say my health and wellbeing has improved just being here and escaping the Northeast winter. Just a shame we have to go back - but for the next 48 hrs I am so going to enjoy this

Amazing, it'll be our first time to CR too! We have 4 nights booked also at the Tabacon Thermal Resort. What kind of activities did you do around that area? I haven't planned anything yet. Also, did you need any cash or cc is generally taken everywhere? Debating if I should pull out cash after arrival at the airport...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter