• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m very new to CSP (originally only got it to purchase my DVC contract and earn the SUB it offered). I didn’t realize the magnitude of how great a card it was when I applied! 🤦🏼‍♀️ I have been learning so much about its benefits on this thread!

Anyways here’s my question…we are going to WDW next month, I charged our SWA flights on my Chase Freedom card that we’ve had forever, not knowing that I should have charged on our new CSP for the travel coverage. I keep reading about all the flight delays and I’m a little worried, as we have a late flight. We don’t want to get stuck in the airport overnight with a toddler. All that being said, I’ve been thinking about changing our flight to an earlier time and charge the difference in price on the CSP card. If I do that, would we then be covered with the travel delay reimbursement (if it comes to needing that) even though our whole flight cost wasn’t charged on that card originally?

You're covered with the CSP insurance even if you only charge a portion to the card, so that should work. The insurance covers "equipment failure, inclement weather, strike and hijacking/skyjacking". If it's some other operational issue, you should ask if the airline will pay for the hotel.

I had to file a CSP travel delay claim this year. It took awhile to go through, but I was very happy with the result. If you need to file a claim (knock on wood), don't forget to keep all your receipts, including the boarding pass of the new flight.

Does anyone know if Delta ever offers more than 70k bonus for their card. Once in a while
I will see this. I'm thinking more and more I might apply for the card in the future as they
seem to be opening more favorable flights from the West Coast. Thanks

You can check historical here. There are 4 personal versions and 3 business.

MRs transfer 1 to 1, that would be another option if you didn't care about the card benefits.

Does anyone know if Delta ever offers more than 70k bonus for their card. Once in a while
I will see this. I'm thinking more and more I might apply for the card in the future as they
Occasionally they offer up to 90k or 100K on the ultra premium card (Delta Reserve) and I think it's been as high as 90K on the Delta platinum. However, a couple of weeks ago the high offer ended so Amex might offer similar high bonuses again before the end of the year...or it might not-hard to predict.

As @wanderlust7 noted, you can always transfer MRs to Delta, although Amex does pass along the taxes at $.0006 cents/mile with a max of $99. I've done the math many times-after paying for 165K MRs to Skymiles the extra amount is "free."

As far as the one ways go, there are many reasons to book one way. With Capital One, I did to use up the balance of my $300 travel credit. Sometimes we book one way on one airline, return on another. On SWA, I always do one way to make it easier to change when necessary. The only time NOT to book a one way is when using the Amex Platinum. Their insurance only works with RT. Gone are the days when you get a better fare with a roundtrip.
I had no idea about this. I always book 2 one ways also as that usually is the better deal. Even using
different airlines. We have 2 Domestic one ways booked in the future with Plat. I guess we are out of luck.
I thought they were covered. 🙁

I'm trying to see if there are any data points regarding using the current Freedom 5X rotating Entertainment category for Disney tickets. From what I've read, purchasing tickets directly from Disney will code as Entertainment, but from UT they code as Travel.
This is our first time going to DW in many years and I'm seeing that I have a lot of research to do! So much has changed regarding fast passes (because I do hate long lines). Thank goodness for these boards, I always appreciate them!

I'm trying to see if there are any data points regarding using the current Freedom 5X rotating Entertainment category for Disney tickets. From what I've read, purchasing tickets directly from Disney will code as Entertainment, but from UT they code as Travel.
This is our first time going to DW in many years and I'm seeing that I have a lot of research to do! So much has changed regarding fast passes (because I do hate long lines). Thank goodness for these boards, I always appreciate them!
dont quote me on this but i recall Chase called it "select entertainment"

When I renewed our AP tickets last month they coded as entertainment on my freedom and earned 5x

I'm in Harry Styles hell.... First off we had a ticket for tonight in NYC. I've had it on StubHUB since we bought it. The idea was my 17yo could go IF she found a friend and parent to go. We just got back from NC last night, and I go back to school tomorrow :sad::sad::sad: So I wasn't about to go. Well since Harry is doing 15 shows in NYC now, the resale market is crap! We finally sold the ticket tonight $20 below face value.

My daughter has tickets to see him in Chicago in October. I figured no rush in booking a room. Yeah, that was a mistake. Everything is sold out or $1000 for 1 night! I don't know what I'm going to do now. Originally she has tickets for 10/8 and 10/9. But now she's asking to go to TX to see him w/ her BFF. So I told her she HAS to sell 10/9. I mean I might need her to sell them anyways, as I can't take off the Monday from school. And the idea of driving home from Chicago at midnight and then teaching. UGH.

I was kinda holding off on booking a hotel because I didn't know if it was just us, if she was bringing a friend, etc. And now the prices are INSANE! Nothing I can book w/ points via Hilton. Marriott I can stay out by O'Hare which is 40 min from the venue and the wrong direction from home. I don't know what to do. UGH.

I'm in Harry Styles hell.... First off we had a ticket for tonight in NYC. I've had it on StubHUB since we bought it. The idea was my 17yo could go IF she found a friend and parent to go. We just got back from NC last night, and I go back to school tomorrow :sad::sad::sad: So I wasn't about to go. Well since Harry is doing 15 shows in NYC now, the resale market is crap! We finally sold the ticket tonight $20 below face value.

My daughter has tickets to see him in Chicago in October. I figured no rush in booking a room. Yeah, that was a mistake. Everything is sold out or $1000 for 1 night! I don't know what I'm going to do now. Originally she has tickets for 10/8 and 10/9. But now she's asking to go to TX to see him w/ her BFF. So I told her she HAS to sell 10/9. I mean I might need her to sell them anyways, as I can't take off the Monday from school. And the idea of driving home from Chicago at midnight and then teaching. UGH.

I was kinda holding off on booking a hotel because I didn't know if it was just us, if she was bringing a friend, etc. And now the prices are INSANE! Nothing I can book w/ points via Hilton. Marriott I can stay out by O'Hare which is 40 min from the venue and the wrong direction from home. I don't know what to do. UGH.
Air BnB?

Quick search shows Hyatt House for 10/8 for $400 ish.
Just FYI there isn't anything really walking distance from there. Personally I'd get rid of the idea of 2 nights in a row and sell the Sunday ones. Logistically it doesn't seem doable with work in the morning.

Last edited:

Its the Chicago marathon weekend that weekend as well.

Hey everyone, we are thinking about South Africa for our 2024 vacation. We are definitely wanting to stay at an all-inclusive resort that includes game drives. How far in advance do we have to book? There will be 7 of us as my BFF wants to join us with her 2 kids. We don’t want 4 or 5 star luxury resorts, because we just can’t afford it. How many nights would you all recommend? Any recommendations? Or is there somewhere else I should look at for game drives besides South Africa?

Sorry for all the questions.
My GBF just got back from a last minute trip to SA. He managed to do a Safari. He has family in the area, and one of them work for a company. I know he said some are better than others and was going to give me a list for when the BF and I go. I can ask him what he suggests.

Update: Finally called a live person at chase and they said the CIU was denied (womp womp), and I should get a letter in 7-10 days... um... it's been 7-10 days already but ok. This is my second CIU denial, despite getting approved for everything else so I guess it just isn't meant to be. While I was on the phone I had them PC my last CIP to a CIU so at least I can get out of the AF and not lose my points. Sucks to not get the SUB though.
You can always get the SUB later. Perk of Chase vs Amex, LOL.

Flight back from CDG to DTW was long but the FAs were great. Having GE was great. Our flight must have been the last international arrival at DTW because there was literally no one else at the border patrol/customs. They have lots of GE kiosks and it took me all of 45 seconds to do my scan. I highly recommend GE. I had a 3 hr layover so I went to the lounge. The Michigan men's basketball coach and some of the players came in. Coach Howard was sitting across from me 3 feet away. My nephew had also run into the Clemson men's basketball team in Paris at a McDonald's at midnight. He is also a college athlete, so he struck up a conversation with them.

A random observation: you cannot access Hulu while in Europe. So be sure you download anything you want to watch while traveling there. We used ATT's international plan which is $10 per day (max $100 per billing cycle). Thanks to everyone who has provided advice over the last 2 years! I hope to pay that help forward, so please feel free to ask any questions.
I've only gone thru customs twice here, but never a line, LOL. Also, GO BLUE! LOL.

Someone else commented but Plat was recently 90k. This is my fav website to check SUB - https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-bonus/#
HA! Those are $1k.

Quick search shows Hyatt House for 10/8 for $400 ish.
Just FYI there isn't anything really walking distance from there. Personally I'd get rid of the idea of 2 nights in a row and seek the Sunday ones. Logistically it doesn't seem doable with work in the morning.
I just randomly thought of Hyatt. I NEVER stay there. They have rooms for 15k! I can throw some URs at that! She's having a convo w/ her bestie tonight about the TX shows. I don't want to transfer the URs till I know we're going w/ plan B, LOL. I'm okay w/ being in the middle of no where. As much as I love Chicago, this will truly be a trip to drive there, have her do the show and come home, LOL. I've been trying to drag my BF to chicago for awhile. So I'll save the "stuff" trip for him.

Staying at Hyatt MCO night before cruise. Anyone have recommendations for somewhere
decent to eat at the airport. We won't have a car and will be there around 7 -8 pm. Thanks

UC isn't middle of nowhere. I meant no hotels walking distance, there are a few restaurants. But it's not an area I'd be walking around at night.
We saw Pink there 9 years ago and it made me nervous walking around down there. Dh thought it would get us a cab faster If we walked a few blocks away. Eek. Didn’t enjoy that at all at midnight.

Staying at Hyatt MCO night before cruise. Anyone have recommendations for somewhere
decent to eat at the airport. We won't have a car and will be there around 7 -8 pm. Thanks
If you're not eating in the hotel restaurant (McCoy's) there really isn't anyplace fancy-a Macaroni Grill which is...fine...and a food court that has Sbarro, Firehouse, Chick Fil A and a Chinese place (I think). We usually just have CFA unless it's Sunday. Then we stare longingly at it and eat either at Macaroni Grill or Firehouse. I was just looking at McCoy's menu though and might try it when we're there next month-breakfast was quite good (but free always makes things taste better 😝 ).

If you're not eating in the hotel restaurant (McCoy's) there really isn't anyplace fancy-a Macaroni Grill which is...fine...and a food court that has Sbarro, Firehouse, Chick Fil A and a Chinese place (I think). We usually just have CFA unless it's Sunday. Then we stare longingly at it and eat either at Macaroni Grill or Firehouse. I was just looking at McCoy's menu though and might try it when we're there next month-breakfast was quite good (but free always makes things taste better 😝 ).
Is that Chinese place Panda Express? I just know from experience flying from West Coast everyone will
be starving. Im not sure we can make even make it to Hyatt and might have to get the food
on the way up to room lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter