I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, here is our excitement for the trip:

I dont think I mentioned here that BIL, the one in Cali, went to the ER twice the weekend before the trip. So 6/14 to 6/16. Fri night he said numbness tingling and burning in his hands and feet, MIL told him he needed to go in right away so he did after a bit. He had gone in to urgent care a day or two before and been diagnosed with pneumonia. BIL had shingles last winter and has had a cough since then, but does not take care of himself so didnt go in. Then his wife had gallbladder issues (a whole other story) so he didnt go until that was taken care of.

So this ER trip they sent him home the next morning, not sure what was wrong but said he didnt have pneumonia. Then he went back on Sunday afternoon because he was having trouble breathing. They said his throat was swollen and thought it was a reaction to the medicine.

Meanwhile I am ready to fly ILs out to Ontario which is the closest airport for 12k United points, told them not to worry but they waited. After Sunday they switched meds or took him off or something and he was supposed to go back on 6/28 for a follow up and do allergen tests. BIL is all I'm fine now, still going to try and meet you guys for Kennedy.

Now, I could write a book on his wife. I tell DH I dont have to claim her as SIL because his brother married her :P But sticking to my personal observations and impressions. She is a high maintenance, attention seeking type. There is always some drama going on. Anytime BIL leaves or is about to there is a crisis. I also feel like she is the type who feels she needs to compete with and replace BILs family in his life, if that makes sense. I believe you can't necessarily let family get in between your relationship with your spouse and make all your decisions and cause issues, you need to put your spouse and kids first, but they dont need to be cut out unless there are certain situations. My dad is an Alien Swirling Saucers-hole but DH did not try to get rid of him, he left that to me and I had to figure out everything for myself which was good. My ILs are not crazy overbearing people. She had to have her gallbladder removed recently. Outpatient procedure. She kept putting it off with the excuse of needing to check out the surgeons, but also going to the ER every 3 days for the pain. Bad enough the ER dr was finally like, we are doing this tonight and being done with it. Then he got called away and said we will do it in the morning and you are staying overnight because we dont trust you not to go home and eat and sabotage this. So theres a teeny look at SIL.

So we bought insurance for this trip, right? Mainly thinking of grandparents but BIL is all no, I'm doing better, it's fine. Ok, so we give everyone including SIL the ship phone number and two email addresses. DCL gives you 50mb of free data, so the plan was to try and check email a couple times a day. Everyone was supposed to email BOTH emails because we didn't know which would get checked first. One was mine and one was FILs, chosen because we get the least emails to save data. But then MIL got worried about accidentally turning the phone on when we were leaving on tbr cruise Sunday so we didnt set hers up to check FILs email. It's fine, we'll just check mine!

Soooo can anyone see where this is going?

BIL goes back into the hospital on Monday morning. He sends an email like hey I'm going back to the hospital. To ONLY FILs email. Dropped ball number one. So we dont know. Other BIL back in CO doesnt know either, just his brother is no longer answering so he texts SIL who says hes back in the hospital but fine. Dropped ball numbers two to... five? BIL doesn't tell BIL, SIL doesnt tell him or us, BIL in CO sends an email about it... to ONLY FILs email. Arghhhh.

So then we figure out we can call and text over wifi! This never crossed my mind or came up online anywhere. Seriously next time I will just budget a data package and then tell people we can respond to texts but only occasionally. So DH sends BIL a text like how are you feeling and he responds, when can I call. Ok, this is not a good sign. So we try wifi calling and get ahold of him on speaker with everyone there.

One more small interjection, BIL mentioned on the call that he was going to call the ship that night if he hadn't heard from us... which is about $8 a minute plus fees. He sent ONE email that he was going, sent nothing else, SIL sent nothing else, before he was going to place a $300 phone call. Seriously next time data package, no one is getting the ship number.

On to seriousness. BIL seems to have contracted one of those one in a million chance auto immune diseases where after clearing a normal infection his antibodies for whatever reason started to attack his nerves. They are doing treatments but wont know what kind of recovery he could be looking at until they can do rehab or more tests. His regular dr is back today so they are supposed to find out more today. When we spoke to him on the ship he said he was too weak to get up himself. He couldn't eat solids because that was what was wrong with his throat, more paralysis/no control not swelling. It was hard for him to talk.

GUYS THIS WAS AT THE TIME SIL WAS TELLING OTHER BIL HE WAS FINE THEY WERE JUST RUNNING TESTS. WHATTTTTTT THIS IS NOT FINE IN MY BOOKKKKKKK

So BIL probably couldn't reach out more, but how could she not? What in the actual bad word????

And they knew that weekend he was going back in. We could have cancelled everything at that point and sent ILs out there. Had we found out Monday we could have jumped ship in Nassau on Tuesday and gotten half the money back and everything else. I dont want to sound like all that matters is the money it's more that everyone would have been happier being there sooner. And frustrated that BIL was not honest with us about what was going on because he didnt want to ruin the trip.... Instead everyone stressed and fretted and didnt really enjoy the last 1.5 days of the cruise. Other BIL booked flights out there and hotel for ILs and and flight home for aunt on Fri. So now on my to do list for the day is to reach out to insurance because I think the policy should cover those flights.

So that's how we ended up back at Disney over the weekend. We dropped everyone off at the airport and booked a room at the Dolphin. I had a thought of cashing out some Discover cb for Hotels.com GCs and booking through there, but their GC tool is still down online and would have had to call in the car and no notepad handy.... just said screw it and booked the AAA rate and used my $40 Amex offer. Just glad we have a cash cushion so it didnt really matter. I was able to refund the KSC tickets through Expedia. I cancelled the rooms in Canaveral for Fri night which were booked with certs and cancellation said we'd get them back. I havent seen them in the accounts yet but kinda figured I would have to contact Marriott because that's what happened last time too. Kept the original car rental and just paid for a second night of parking at Swolphin since we took back half of ILs things that they wouldnt need and left some bags in the car. Lost the AA points for the second Dolphin room but all I cared about was not getting charged the resort fee on it...

ILs hotel room is through Thursday currently. Early stages but will probably look at getting them SW CP to help with travel expenses and help them make the spend. Maybe something for hotels too. have a feeling there will be lots of back and forth. One set of grandparents knows what is going on becuase of aunt, but DH and I are off to try and tell other grandma tonight (along with his dad on the phone) which worries me, I think it will be hard on her :(

This is all awful. I'm sorry. :(

I added my Amex back on 6/23 when I placed an order. It looks like it is already enrolled because it shows the points, but the points didn't actually post until after my statement closed while I was on vacation. I logged in when I got back and had a pleasant surprise! I will keep checking to see it is takes some time!

Hmm...in that case, you may want to try deleting the card and re-enrolling. Then hopefully it shows up within a couple days after that.

Question for all the travelers here...we will be starting an addition to our house and are decluttering before we pack up. I have a ton of travel books from the 90s - Rick Steve’s, Frommers, Fodors, Michelin. My head says to toss them but my heart is saying “they brought you so much joy”!!!! Does anyone keep old travel books? I think I’m definitely keeping green Michelins because their write ups are so good.

I have a bookshelf of travel books. I'll probably never use most of them again, but they bring me joy just looking at them lined up on the shelf. It's like a souvenir for me and I want to keep increasing my collection. Even if a lot of my research is done online these days.

That’s the plan. 1st Time. Pops on the 3rd and fireworks closer to the hotel. Not wanting to deal with the 4th chaos in the Esplanade.

We did that plan a couple of years ago too! Boston is a fun city. We went to the Esplanade on the 3rd (still really crowded! go early!) and got to hear Leslie Odom Jr. sing. 😍 (Sadly that was before I was a big Hamilton fan and could truly appreciate how incredible that was.)

We stayed on the Cambridge side and watched the fireworks in front of the dome at MIT. It was pretty crowded on that side too, but easy to walk back to our hotel.

Have a great time.

We have a cruise booked with Royal Caribbean in Feb 2020. RCCL facebook pages started blowing up with a glitch showing the deluxe drink package was $18/day (unlimited alcohol and other drinks), which is a great price. It's usually around $50+/day. I jumped on and paid for it for my cruise. :banana: Then there were a bunch of people who called into RCCL because it wasn't showing on their cruises and were told that it was a glitch and they could not get it for that price. Why, people, why? Why call?! Nothing kills a good deal faster. Hopefully they'll still honor the price it was booked at.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just purchased for DH and I for our March cruise! $297 is an awesome price!!! Luckily, I had it sitting in my cart from when I had looked at previously for $900. :worship::love::banana::cheer2::dance3:

Question regarding Hard Inquiry numbers...... My DH now has 5 Hard inquiries posted as of today (because of his CIP app, which was approved within 1 hour!). I’m wondering this inquiry number is going to be a problem going forward. First 2 inquiries were made when he signed a car lease last May, then 3rd one by Chase CSP, 4th by Barclays Biz, and 5th by Chase CIP

I’m so sorry your BIL is going thru this. Your SIL is a piece of work, hope she can support him thru this. Is it Guillain Barre? If he can’t eat, I assume he has a (temporary) feeding tube. Encourage him to have a gastric tube (Gtube or PEG) places unless he shows rapid improvement and can swallow in a few days. Nutrition is a huge factor in how someone recovers. (Says the dietitian) Even though they will tell him the feeding is “permanent” it can be removed once the person is eating enough and has recovered. PM me is you have questions. Hugs to your family.
It is Guillain Barre. Or at least they have rules most other things out. I will have to have DH pass along about the gastric tube.

SIL still cannot driver herself to the hospital 3.5 weeks after her gallbladder surgery because she is in so much pain :sad2:

Tonight he is moving to a rehab center, so hopefully a good step.

There's a long waitlist in some areas to get the new Shingrex vaccine. And insurance usually pays at 50.

Yikes. I really need to pay more attention to things like this. I don't even know anything about the new (or old) vaccine except that it's recommended to get it at 50 if you've had chicken pox.

Question for all the travelers here...we will be starting an addition to our house and are decluttering before we pack up. I have a ton of travel books from the 90s - Rick Steve’s, Frommers, Fodors, Michelin. My head says to toss them but my heart is saying “they brought you so much joy”!!!! Does anyone keep old travel books? I think I’m definitely keeping green Michelins because their write ups are so good.

I'm attached to my old travel books and they are still on my bookshelves. I also buy new ones (but pocket sized ones usually) even though I do a lot of research online.

Been to Vegas a lot. Sorry this is late - busy during the day. My favorite strip hotel is Bellagio - we also really like Aria. MGM Grand is okay but I had a water ordeal in December - the water was NEVER hot when I needed to shower, etc. It was insane. We were there for a week with cold water!

We will never go back to Ballys. I also have no desire to ever stay at Treasure Island again. Rooms in Vegas turn over like crazy so that means a ton of wear and tear. I'd spend money/points to stay somewhere nicer.

Go look at the flowers inside Bellagio - amazing! Also, there's a hidden restaurant inside MGM Grand called Greek Sneak. It is AMAZING.

I'm not a frequent Vegas person (at all) but we stayed at the Aria a few years ago with friends who love Vegas and it was a nice hotel with really nice rooms (and I'm pretty picky).

:offtopic:Apparently there’s a glitch (or a well disguised intentional flash sale to generate buzz) on the RCCL site and a bunch of people have been able to book the deluxe beverage package for under $20/adult/night including taxes and gratuities. I barely drink alcohol and DH has at most 2-3 a day but this was actually cheaper than the soda only package and included specialty coffees and fresh juices. I was able to get the package for our July 2020 sailing. So if anyone has a future RCCL cruise it might be worth checking out. I don’t think it will be up for very long.

:offtopic:Apparently there’s a glitch (or a well disguised intentional flash sale to generate buzz) on the RCCL site and a bunch of people have been able to book the deluxe beverage package for under $20/adult/night including taxes and gratuities. I barely drink alcohol and DH has at most 2-3 a day but this was actually cheaper than the soda only package and included specialty coffees and fresh juices. I was able to get the package for our July 2020 sailing. So if anyone has a future RCCL cruise it might be worth checking out. I don’t think it will be up for very long.
@needsomesun beat you to the punch :) I just purchased the drink package for DH and I so he can get smoothies and an occasional beer for DS and himself. It is an awesome deal and I don’t need to call and plead my case for not buying the drink package for DH.

Last edited:
Been to Vegas a lot. Sorry this is late - busy during the day. My favorite strip hotel is Bellagio - we also really like Aria. MGM Grand is okay but I had a water ordeal in December - the water was NEVER hot when I needed to shower, etc. It was insane. We were there for a week with cold water!

We will never go back to Ballys. I also have no desire to ever stay at Treasure Island again. Rooms in Vegas turn over like crazy so that means a ton of wear and tear. I'd spend money/points to stay somewhere nicer.

Go look at the flowers inside Bellagio - amazing! Also, there's a hidden restaurant inside MGM Grand called Greek Sneak. It is AMAZING.

I had Aria on the list as well, and it looks amazing to me, but I guess it was "too modern" for the fam (...dad...) :confused3

@needsomesun beat you to the punch :) I just purchased the drink package for DH and I so he can get smoothies and an occasional beer for DS and himself. It is an awesome deal and I don’t need to call and plead my case for not buying the drink package for DH.

I don't drink alcohol at all (or coffee), but at that price it was still worth it for me for everything else. DH will get his money's worth for both of us anyway... :rotfl2:

It is Guillain Barre. Or at least they have rules most other things out. I will have to have DH pass along about the gastric tube.

SIL still cannot driver herself to the hospital 3.5 weeks after her gallbladder surgery because she is in so much pain :sad2:

Not to be rude, but considering what you've already said about her, at some point you've got to suck it up, deal with it and get your but in the car because your husband is in the hospital. I realize everyone's pain threshold is different and mine is higher due to having to deal with it since a car accident in hs, but I missed 0 work, drove myself and still curled though I didn't run and sweep as much because it hurt, when I bruised my tailbone. You want to take about being uncomfortable no matter what you do, sit, stand, lay down etc. She sounds like a spoiled brat. Does she work? Because they're going to need an income especially since from what you said earlier they probably don't have much savings. I am glad he's moving to rehab, that's a good sign.

I should have known I could never get the scoop on this board!! Glad someone else was able to take advantage. It’s a really really good deal. I’m looking forward to some mock-tail smoothies and fresh juice. DH is excited for the alcohol :drinking1

Reddit people (or anyone here who has tried lately)-- any info about whether people are getting the SUB for a second Citi biz AA card without a mailer?

The glitch is still alive and well - just purchased for my April 2020 cruise. :drinking1:woohoo:🍷:drinking:

Does he have a CIU? I PC’d my CIU to a CIP so I could refer DH since the 20k outweighed the $95 AF.
I just PCd his CIP to avoid the AF. Offset the AF for SW biz. After we finish SW CP, one of us will apply for CIP then refer the other.

Rehab sound like progress. He probably had IgG infusions, usually it’s 5 days worth. They probably have a plan for nutrition at rehab. I have seen so many people struggle and fail because they refused a feeding tube. People think it’s the end when it can be a key to recovery, and can be removed later. (PS I also have experience with this on a personal level as my dad had a feeding tube, so feel free to PM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter