I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this just happened to DH and I. Our new mortgage dropped both of our scores 30 points. I know it's just a matter of time before it raises again but we didn't start with the stellar scores many of you have. It was steadily rising until the mortgage hit.
Mine just kept going up. Dh might be the primary name on the mortgage so maybe that’s why his went down?

Nooooo it's never too soon to call. I call before the screen is fully updated, LOL! And then I call again 2 minutes after that...and again...well you get the picture!

"You will be notified in writing within 30 days of receiving you application..."

Hmmm... I am prepared for another NO. My credit score is 815, my credit cards all have 0 balances. Don't know what to think.

"You will be notified in writing within 30 days of receiving you application..."

Hmmm... I am prepared for another NO. My credit score is 815, my credit cards all have 0 balances. Don't know what to think.
30 days is not a bad sign! If you were denied due to 5/24 it would have already said 7-10 days IMO. 30 days or 2 weeks are both good! You might check again in the AM to see if the message has changed at all!

30 days is not a bad sign! If you were denied due to 5/24 it would have already said 7-10 days IMO. 30 days or 2 weeks are both good! You might check again in the AM to see if the message has changed at all!

Wow. That is so promising! I might just call again in 20 mins! Now I'm getting optimistic! :)

Now, dh is at 5/24 until Dec, then 4/24. Does he have to sit on his hands until then?

Husband cards:
12/17 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Personal
01/18 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred
01/18 - CHASE Sapphire Reserve
03/18 - AMEX SPG Business*
05/18 - CHASE Marriott Personal
08/18 - CHASE Ink Preferred Business*
11/18 - CHASE United Personal

So, I think I need a better "plan ahead for meeting MSR" and "timing" strategies.

1. I am pretty sure I have met the MSR on the CIP (but I am waiting for this statement to close to be sure... right?)
  2. I just opened/received a CitiAA Biz whatever and have put the first mortgage payment on it with Plastiq. That's $1200, plus next month is of course another $1200, plus I plan to put tuition on it ($1900) in about a month. So THAT MSR should be met by the first part of September-ish.
Should my next step be for me to refer my potential P2 for a CIP, or should my next step be to have him apply for the CitiAA Biz whatever using the same link I did last month?

Regardless of which of these I do, what do you recommend for timing? (I can only meet the MSR on one card at a time.)

If P2 doesn't get approved for either, then for myself what do you recommend? I got the CIP on 5/30/19 and the CitiAABiz on 7/7/19, if that matters.

Also, I have a store credit card which I have had since 2011 that I haven't purchased anything on (and have no plans to do so). Do you generally recommend leaving it open? The credit limit on that one is only $1250 so I am not sure how much of a difference it will make one way or the other.

Okay I need some help. I think we've decided we'll be booking at the Dolphin since we can get it for $132.78/night. I'm super confused by the different room categories so if anyone would like to help me that would be great!
DOUBLE INNER $116
DOUBLE GUEST ROOM $132
DOUBLE RESORT VIEW $141
DOUBLE TRADITIONAL $157
DOUBLE WITH TERRACE $157

Should I just book the cheapest one? Whatever inner means lol. I wish they had a King room, but they don't on this website. Also, when I get to the checkout it shows taxes, but no resort fee. I'm wondering if that will be tacked on later or if it doesn't get charged on Ticketsatwork.com?

Yooza! I am debating whether I should buy used or new. I am not sure how “used” used is.

I always bought the higher levels of used (more like "like new" and less like "acceptable" - there are levels listed for the used ones sold on Amazon).

This is @Andysol's take on the Hilton Biz and Surpass offers:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60852067
and @miztressuz's:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60852037
I agree, and I'm seriously considering the Surpass for DW who is at only 1/24, if we can manage the MSR and she doesn't get the pop up. If we do get the card, I'd likely target the $15k spend needed for a 2nd FWN cert so we can make a weekend trip out of this card.

I think the value is in those FWNs. If you have an idea or plan for them in the next year, this bonus is worth it.

When does free night have to be redeemed? We have no plans for the next 12 months but we do at 12 months. ;)

The highlighting and the notes are my actual concern. I want DS to figure out on his own what is important to highlight and note so he can develop that skill. I am afraid he’ll just focus on what someone else thought was important. I think this year I’ll go with new and re-evaluate next year after he actually gets to experience having textbooks.

The better quality (less used) ones often came looking like they had never been opened. In fact, quite a few of them were brand new. None of the many I bought had lots of notes in them. I'm not one for being ultra frugal when it comes to education but paying $30 for a $250 book was too hard to pass up.

Last edited:
So if I'm understanding you correctly, the cash price of a United flight is $338. Let's just go with that number.

If you're looking at this flight from the Chase UR portal, and you have UR points, the amount of UR points it'll cost will depend on which card you're logged into the portal with and which card you use to redeem your UR. That's because the CIP and CSP give you a 25% bonus (or 1.25x multiplier) on the value of your UR points, and the CSR gives you a 50% bonus (or 1.5x multiplier).

So a flight that costs $338 in cash will cost you:

$338/0.015 = ~22,533 UR on the CSR

or

$338/0.0125 = 27,040 UR on the CIP or CSP

UR points transfer to United miles 1:1. So if this same flight costs 37,000 United miles as an award seat, you'll need to transfer 37,000 UR to United to book the same flight that you could book on the Chase portal for as little as 22,533 UR. So obviously in the case, booking through the Chase portal wins.

But one more thing, because booking on the Chase portal acts like paying cash through a OTA (online travel agent), your United ticket purchased with UR points will earn you award miles on United. If you transferred UR to United, then used the United miles to book the flight, it would be considered an award flight that doesn't earn any miles. I know we're probably talking about a relatively small amount of miles here, but every little bit counts.

And one final thing, booking with UR gets you the travel protections of the card you're redeeming from.

Sorry! I haven’t been able to log on all day. I have the 1.5x card.

Thank you for this explanation. 😍😍

Silly question, Do Charge cards count against 5/24? I'm at a point in my "business" where I'm ready to apply for a biz card but have no idea where to start. I would be looking at charging a few hundred early in the year then travel related charges Including probably two RT airfares throughout the softball season. Any recommendations? FICO's 660 EX, 643 EQ and 676 TU.

Mine just kept going up. Dh might be the primary name on the mortgage so maybe that’s why his went down?
DH is primary on ours but it dropped us both. It took almost 3 months for the mortgage to finally report which I thought was a long time. Hopefully yours won't get hit! It was such a bummer to see it go down after watching it slowly rising.

Silly question, Do Charge cards count against 5/24? I'm at a point in my "business" where I'm ready to apply for a biz card but have no idea where to start. I would be looking at charging a few hundred early in the year then travel related charges Including probably two RT airfares throughout the softball season. Any recommendations? FICO's 660 EX, 643 EQ and 676 TU.
Yeah - personal charge cards count. ALL biz cards from Amex and Chase do not though (including Amex biz charge cards).

Amex is the only issuer I can think of offhand that issues charge cards. Amex’s personal charge cards count against 5/24. Amex’s business charge cards don’t.

If you expect your airfare charges early in the year, you may want to look into getting Amex’s charge cards with the airline fee credit (i.e., personal Gold, personal Platinum, or Business Platinum) in late-November through mid-December so that you can triple dip that credit. The utility of that credit will depend on which airline you select. Since Amex’s SUBs are generally once per lifetime, be sure you get the best offer you can on any of those cards.

Regarding buying Swagbucks - last night I was able to buy 8000 before erroring out. The 2000 for $20 is still there this morning. I just bought another 2000. Gonna wait a few minutes and see if I can get more.
Hi! Is there a limit on the amount of Swagbucks that can be bought daily or is it just whenever SB decides to be an pain in the behind? Today was the first day I have bought SB and I was only able to buy 4000. Anything you can share in regards to this would be GREATLY appreciated:worship:

Cancel unless you really want the card with no SUB.

Then I'm over 5/25 until April. Guess I will have to try AMEX. Would like this by January to put all my legitimate biz spend on.

Oh no!!! You have unfortunately gotten the “pop up of death” 😔 😮

Bummer!!!!
Is there any way to get around it? I have no idea why Dh would get this. He only has one Amex card and we weren't self referring. Is it because I put my Hilton Honors number on the application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter