I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting for someone to organize a meeting so @Albort can give his Churning 101 presentation. :mic:

Honestly, with all the meetups planned over at r/churning, I'm surprised no one has just booked a room at the cheapest local Marriott to earn the elite nights.

Anyone in the central NJ area? I'll reserve the room and cater if anyone wants to present!

Last edited:
Between the swan and dolphin is one better than the other? Would you pay more just to be at one vs the other?

I stayed at the Dolphin, not the Swan.

- The Dolphin has double beds,
- The Dolphin seemed more hopping - lobby bar, more quick service restaurants
- Swan has queen beds. .
- The Swan seems more quiet.
- Swan rooms may be a little better, I"m thinking, since it's owned by Westin and the Dolphin is owned by Sheraton which imo is slightly downscale from Westin.

Did anybody see this today:

My response:
Apparently there’s some crusade to bring churning to the masses. We must orchestrate our own demise and we must accelerate the pace..who’s with me??
Is it really that hard to read a few blogs and figure out your own path? Thousands of us have done it before... but apparently these days it’s too hard.
I love everybody here and I will help ANYBODY that finds their way to our thread but this attitude that is pervasive on r/churning to kill the game by making it so easy a dog could do it is ridiculous. We don’t need an app to help us pick a card...is clicking on the flow chart that hard (and why do we even have the flow chart to be honest...just read and ask a question or two)...UGH - I’ll step off my soap box now.

Also, doesn't Credit Karma do the same thing? Recommend credit cards based on your unique, personal situation?

With our AP's expiring next month, DH has already said we're not going back to Disney until we can pay for most of it with our CC points. I'd really like to be able to go for 4-5 nights next year at some point, but I only have a Disney Visa that I've had for 10+ years, so I know that those points alone won't get us there anytime soon. I think I've already decided on one of the Southwest cards to help with our travel expenses. What CC's are best right now to earn rewards to put towards lodging and tickets? We like to stay onsite (Swan and Dolphin included,) and usually book through a travel agent (not sure if those bookings code differently when redeeming travel rewards.) I am planning to use new CC's for work expenses that usually add up to 2k-4k a month. A lot of what I've researched online about using CC points for Disney trips seems outdated, so thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction!

...give up? (Sorry that wasn’t helpful...but possibly realistic given how terrible they are) 😔 🤣
Right? And I have the same issue on DHs account. He hates calling so I was hoping SM would work. Probably will still try on his account... What do I have to lose except more :badpc: s?

Should just think about restocking my AA miles, they do have Swolphin on there for 2020...

Also, doesn't Credit Karma do the same thing? Recommend credit cards based on your unique, personal situation?

No. Credit Karma does not take into account issuer rules like Chase’s 5/24, timing restrictions like Chase’s 1/30 or 2/30 or Amex’s 2/90, bonus eligibility restrictions like the 24 or 48 months or lifetime language on many cards, or Marriott’s mess of bonus eligibility rules, or other things like that. Credit Karma makes money from credit card signups (affiliate marketing) and pushes cards in part based on that. It also bases the recommendations off your credit score and not much else. So Credit Karma could recommend cards you’ll be denied for.

No. Credit Karma does not take into account issuer rules like Chase’s 5/24, timing restrictions like Chase’s 1/30 or 2/30 or Amex’s 2/90, bonus eligibility restrictions like the 24 or 48 months or lifetime language on many cards, or Marriott’s mess of bonus eligibility rules, or other things like that. Credit Karma makes money from credit card signups (affiliate marketing) and pushes cards in part based on that. It also bases the recommendations off your credit score and not much else.

Ah... I have only skimmed the recommendations. I was skeptical on some of them.

I’m hoping I understand your question....

You need to pay $500 and then the $500 FFDs will be given to you. If you haven’t done his first pmt of $500 then he won’t have any FFDs yet.

So I guess what I was asking is if the $1000 would count as both. I am guessing no from your answer. If I pay my mortgage of $800 then he will be charged the fee for the whole $800 and then he will have $500 FFD for the next transaction. So if I pay a 2nd mortgage with his, $500 of the $800 will be free and only charged the fee on the remaining $300. Correct?

So, Chase removed me as AU on dh's CSR. Yay! That brings me under 5/24. My question is, when should I apply for the CIP? I have been declined for this card at least twice already, not within 30 days though. (It's my Elenor - see Gone in Sixty Seconds for this to make sense).

I'm eyeing the 80k bonus because I need to come up with as many UR points as possible, which I'll then transfer to UAL miles to get my return ticket NRT to EWR in April. I already got my tickets from EWR to NRT, saver tickets, 70k one way for 4 people business class. I'll just redeposit miles if I can't get what I want but it is looking decent if I can close the deal before 6 months prior to departure. Summer seemed impossible so we moved the trip to spring break (April).

So, here is where I stand. Any thoughts on what to do next and when?

Mefordis cards:
10/28/17 - CHASE United Personal - 3
10/20/17 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Personal
11/17 - AMEX SPG Business* (Bonvoy)
12/11/17 - CHASE Freedom - 2
12/11/17 - CHASE Marriott Personal - 1
05/18 - AMEX Hilton Business*
08/18 - CHASE Marriott Business*

11/19/16 - Bank of America
06/3/16 PC CSP to Chase Freedom
05/18/12 AMEX Blue travel card
05/18/12 AMEX EveryDay AU
07/13/09 Chase Disney

** locked out of a Sapphire bonus until 06/03/2020 ,

Last edited:
So, Chase removed me as AU on dh's CSR. Yay! That brings me under 5/24. My question is, when should I apply for the CIP? I have been declined for this card at least twice already, not within 30 days though. (It's my Elenor - see Gone in Sixty Seconds for this to make sense).

I'm eyeing the 80k bonus because I need to come up with as many UR points as possible, which I'll then transfer to UAL miles to get my return ticket NRT to EWR in April. I already got my tickets from EWR to NRT, saver tickets, 70k one way for 4 people business class. I'll just redeposit miles if I can't get what I want but it is looking decent if I can close the deal before 6 months. Summer seemed impossible so we moved the trip to spring break (April).

So, here is where I stand. Any thoughts on what to do next and when?

Mefordis cards:
10/28/17 - CHASE United Personal - 3
10/20/17 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Personal
11/17 - AMEX SPG Business* (Bonvoy)
12/11/17 - CHASE Freedom - 2
12/11/17 - CHASE Marriott Personal - 1
05/18 - AMEX Hilton Business*
08/18 - CHASE Marriott Business*

11/19/16 - Bank of America
06/3/16 PC CSP to Chase Freedom
05/18/12 AMEX Blue travel card
05/18/12 AMEX EveryDay AU
07/13/09 Chase Disney

** locked out of a Sapphire bonus until 06/03/2020 ,

Congrats on getting the AU off ....The 5/24 rule probably caused the previous denials.....you could apply now....

If your DH has a CIP...remember to apply with his support link...so he gets the 20k URs

With our AP's expiring next month, DH has already said we're not going back to Disney until we can pay for most of it with our CC points. I'd really like to be able to go for 4-5 nights next year at some point, but I only have a Disney Visa that I've had for 10+ years, so I know that those points alone won't get us there anytime soon. I think I've already decided on one of the Southwest cards to help with our travel expenses. What CC's are best right now to earn rewards to put towards lodging and tickets? We like to stay onsite (Swan and Dolphin included,) and usually book through a travel agent (not sure if those bookings code differently when redeeming travel rewards.) I am planning to use new CC's for work expenses that usually add up to 2k-4k a month. A lot of what I've researched online about using CC points for Disney trips seems outdated, so thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
Capital One Venture Rewards offers 50,000 points for $3k spend, annual fee waived first year. The points are worth $500 towards “erasing” travel charges on your card.

Chase Ultimate Rewards are worth 1 cent per point in cash (can’t be used to book Disney properties or Swalphin on their portal so cash is your only option if that’s what you want)....

Chase Ink Preferred offers 80k points for $4k spend. After annual fee of $95 that’s basically $705. If you don’t have a business but might have a side hustle ebay, Craigslist, baking cookies, dog sitting, etc- you have a business! We can help you with how to do that application. Refer your spouse for 20k bonus points and you’re looking at $1,610.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is offering 50k URs after $4k spend. Annual Fee $450 but $300 travel credit applies to any travel (like a Disney hotel) so the AF is really $150. It has 1 TSA pre-check or Global Entry covered if you’re in the market for that. No referral (ie “support link”) for this one.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 60k URs after $4k spend, AF $95. Refer your spouse to the same offer for 15k URs. It might be possible to do both Sapphires if you can do $8k spend in 3 months, let us know and we can walk you through how to try it.

If any of those catch your fancy tell us how many, and what, credit cards you’ve (and your spouse if he’s willing) opened in the last 24 months then let us know if you’re leaning towards any particular card and we can let you know what we think :)

ETA2: OH! Flights. Southwest is pretty popular around here and pairs nicely with Chase points as you can transfer Chase URs to Southwest if you find yourself short SW points. Is a Companion Pass of interest? I’m not a Southwest person but that’s achievable with credit card points and some here can help with that too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter