• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I lost my child at DL

Anybody who would judge you either never had kids or never babysat at all! My mom is, quite honestly, a little overprotective, and she tells the story all the time of how she lost me at DL. This was 30-some years ago so I don't remember it at all, but she says it scared her so badly she'll never forget it. I lost my son once when he was 6 or so in Target. Scared me to death! I took my eyes off of him for just one second! Luckily he knew to go to the customer service desk and have them page me. So glad your story turned out ok too. You'll still be telling that story in 30 years! ;)

I can totally see why you thought he'd be fine. And can also totally see how he accidentally went out the wrong door.

I remember, as a kid many moons ago, being so comforted by the fact that I knew Disneyland employees would know exactly what do if I told them I was lost.

Give that kiddo an extra big hug!!!

So glad you found him. I've lost a child at DLR before, I've also been the lost child before.

My DS10, who at the time was 2, was holding a Disney baseball inside WOD before we were to head home. He dropped the ball, and if course it rolled. He ran after it, and I swear he just disappeared. I remained calm looking for him. Then a CM approached me & ask if she could help me find something. I lost it, sobbing, I replied, "yes, can you help me find my son?". She reassured me he did not leave the store, as CMs stand at the door to make sure kids do not leave unattended. He was found moments later, still holding that baseball. (Yes, he plays ball now.)

No judgment from me at all! I think most parents have similar stories. I've been lucky not to lose either of my kids, but other people have.

My youngest is on the spectrum, and was very sensitive to noise. The first time she was lost was in preschool. I got the dreaded call that she seemed to have disappeared. I broke land-speed records to get there. The teachers were sobbing and the admin staff were searching high and low. It took me 10 minutes to find her once I arrived. When I saw the kids in the class playing with blocks, I figured she was trying to get away from the noise. I checked closets, bathrooms, etc. It finally dawned on me that she'd probably look for something familiar. I walked over to her cubby. She'd stuffed herself in the skinny space and covered herself with her jacked. Poor kid had her hands over her ears.

The second time she got lost was at Target during the Christmas season when she was 8. My mom took the girls shopping, and DD got overwhelmed by the crowds and noise. I guess mom panicked when she couldn't find her. She grabbed my other daughter's hand and drug her to the front of the store to find a manager. They ended up locking all but one exit door so they could see who was going out with a child. It took them nearly 30 minutes to find her. She was hiding in the center of one of those clothing displays. Once again her hands were over her ears, and she tuned out the many announcements on the intercom asking her to go to the front of the store.

When they got home, my daughter said to me "Nana told me not to tell you what happened at Target". Haha, she told me what happened. I asked her why she didn't answer when they called her name. Her answer was simple - "you told me not to talk to strangers. I don't know that guy who called my name!"

No matter how prepared we are, things happen. I'm just happy to hear everything turned out well.

Ok. I have a story. I'm a dad with three kids. I am the disney lover if the family not my wife. This was about 9 years ago. I convinced my wife to let me take my oldest kid, a girl to Disneyland by my self. A father daughter day. We had annual passes. We had a great day and getting ready to leave. In two weeks we were going to have a baby shower for my new baby boy. So rented a stroller and I was carrying a heavy diaper bag. Well I was in the main store and took a couple of steps away from the stroller to look at baby stuff. I placed the diaper bag on top of the stroller. I didn't see anything I like. So I walked away pushing the stroller. The bag on top of the stroller made it heavy. When I got out of the store I jumped the stroller off of the sidewalk and it seemed too light. I picked up the top of the stroller and to my horror it was empty. So I ran into city hall with my camera. Ran to the counter gave them the camera and told them I couldn't find my kid. I ran out to look for her. Now mind you the parade just ended and there was a mass exit of people. Wall to wall of people. There was no way I was going to find her. Now three is a thousand things going thru my mind and not one of them is good. Ran back into city hall and nothing. Ran back out screaming her name. Ran back in and they found her. A minute later a cm walked upto city hall with my daughter. I was in tears. So when we stopped in the store she jumped out of the stroller to look at some princess stuff. My awsome wife still let's me take the kids to Disneyland by myself

If there is ever the place for this to happen and know it will turn out ok, it's Disney. They are SO highly trained and prepared for this.

On Monday, my two daughters (4 and almost 2) darted out after the parade ended. The crowds were insane. My DH and I corralled them quickly and explained to them how dangerous that was. My DD4 did it again, thinking it was funny. I got her and put her in the stroller, which she didn't like at all. We then walked past 3 different hysterical parent set looking for lost kids. I connected one screaming mother up with a CM. Poor mama. My heart went out to her. I pointed that out to my DD4, explained what was happening, and went through the process of what are should do if we were separated. I also said Disney is really good at this, so I was sure the mamas would find their families very soon.

No judgement here. It could happen to any of us.

Well if it makes you feel better here and it should never a child but a brand new video camera in the 90s those were pricey little dudes-- a food car vendor picked it up off the bench and saved the day, had it on his cart and we managed to leave a purse and fanny pack on Indy with every credit card, drivers license and cash in the webbie thing.Longest two minutes of my life while the ride circled.So I can understand how this happens.

It really is so easy with small children.I hope you will write Disney and give the CM a thank you.They give them a certificate and it goes in their personnel file. You can do this in person at City Hall.

My rule is never count close calls and just try to do better and move on. Stuff happens.I am glad it turned out ok.My son is a CM and I know they appreciate the thanks.They work real hard and long hours especially at Christmas.Mine starts training next week on a new ride at 4:30 am its pretty brutal this time of year for all of them.

Our first visit was in 1988, I had my three boys with me...4 year old twins and a 2 year old. We were exhausted as we left the park at closing and one of my 4 year olds got separated from us in the crowd. I was understandably panicked when a CM asked me what was wrong. I explained that my son got lost and he casually said "Just go to City Hall and find him." and walked away. Being that I'm not from the area and this was my first DL trip, I freaked out and started crying because I naturally assumed that he meant City Hall in the City of Anaheim or worse, Los Angeles. It was only a couple of minutes before someone told me that DL had its own City Hall but it felt like forever. I quickly found my boy and all was well but the misunderstanding was no fun!

So glad your little one is safe, this summer my family was on a trip in Glacier National Park. We had parked the car and walked less then 100yrds down a trail to the shore of a lake. I proceded to take some pictures and realized I had left some camera gear in the car I needed. My daughter 9 at the time said she would run back for it. Off she went down the trail. 10min later she had not come back so I grabbed my stuff and headed down the trail to see what was taking so long, made it to the car and she was not there ..... :scared1: I started to freak out, I headed back in the general direction of the near by campground and to the lake, when I found my daughter walking along the shore looking for us. She had taken a wrong turn and never made it to the car, but ended up in the campground. She said she new she was lost but needed to find someone safe to ask for help, she said she new she found someone when she saw kids playing with their dog. The lady led my daughter back to the lake shore where I found her.

Talk about a dads worst dream, in the middle of nowhere loosing your daughter. Scared us both enough, she never left our side again that trip.

I lost my son at the Bronx Zoo (!!!) and he has down syndrome and autism, not verbal. I just got distracted for a moment, taking a photo. Of the animals. Talk about panic. All my fault. (it was over 10 years ago) So no flames from me!

We just spread out and found him, walking away. After that, he used a stroller, chair at the parks, zoos, museums. (because of his disabilities I mean). Scared me.

No judging from here. I will say that Star Traders is the only store where we've had a similar experience. I can't stand the layout of the store. On our first visit to DL in 2008, my son, then three, wandered around the store and I couldn't find him for about five minutes. I was panicking because all I could think was that there was an exit out to then Captain EO/Space Mountain/Arcade, one out to Tomorrow Land and one back into the email Ride Photo area... arghh... it's a parent's worst nightmare. We did find him in short order looking at the Star Wars paraphernalia, but those minutes seemed like an eternity. Glad it worked out for you :).

I lost my DS4 in the World of Disney store in DDT. He went off to look for the Wall-E stuff while we were in the racks. He had never been a wanderer and my stomach fell into my feet. When I realized it for real, I just dropped my shopping basket from my waist and took off to find a CM/Clerk? Unfortunately, the first person I found with the clear and visibly panicked "MY SON IS MISSING", was deaf and not responsive to my alarm even though I had his full attention. He walked away from me. I quickly found someone who radioed the alarm and the doors were covered. I took off through the store and found him happy as can be three sections down. I just sat on the ground with him and sobbed.

A horrible feeling that moms do not forget. :worried:

So scary!
You should not feel guilty for your decision to allow him to go into the store, it was a perfectly reasonable task for an almost 7 year old, we cannot hold their hand forever. It is so easy to get turned around in those stores and it is great that your son was not freaking out.
I can imagine it felt like forever to you, we lost DD3 (almost 4) briefly at WDW in the Nemo play area, 3 adults watching 2 kids and still she managed to walk out! Frankly she seemed to quite enjoy it and rather likes to tell people she is lost now....

Glad you found him ok!
I almost lost my niece at AK dino dig a loooooong while back (before I had kids of my own). I almost lost my breakfast that morning. I can still remember the nausea.
So I totally feel your pain.
I will have to have multiple talks with my kids on our upcoming trip during the busiest time of the year.
Thanks for the reminder!

Everyone has a story like this. Don't feel bad OP. I still remember my DS, 4y/o at the time, in the honey, I shrunk the kids playground at DHS. The scariest feeling in the world. My DH and I were searching all the cubby holes and tunnels for at least 10 mins when I finally asked a CM what to do. They are so calm and collective. They announced his name over the speaker at the play area. He stepped out and said "that's me". I ran to him and said I was so worried you were lost...He said, "I wasn't lost mommy, I knew where I was the whole time." He was right!:)

Everyone has a story like this. Don't feel bad OP. I still remember my DS, 4y/o at the time, in the honey, I shrunk the kids playground at DHS. The scariest feeling in the world. My DH and I were searching all the cubby holes and tunnels for at least 10 mins when I finally asked a CM what to do. They are so calm and collective. They announced his name over the speaker at the play area. He stepped out and said "that's me". I ran to him and said I was so worried you were lost...He said, "I wasn't lost mommy, I knew where I was the whole time." He was right!:)

Now this play area I am very familiar with and I cannot stand it! I usually stand at the exit the whole time to make sure none of my kids leave (I also have a DS-4). Way too many places for kids to hide. Every year I hope they will forget about it so we can skip it, but they never do :) And sounds like our kids have a similar problem - mine rarely realize they are lost, so looking for a lost child does no good as they are more than likely happily playing with another family and just assuming I will find them eventually.

Thank you everyone for your posts of similar stories and well wished. It is making me feel better, although I still tear up when I read your stories or think about mine (and I am not a wimp, I swear). Truly a worst nightmare because your brain automatically goes to that horrible place. I keep telling my husband I watch way to much Law and Order SVU for my own sanity!

So glad to hear you found him. They handled it very professionally - they must have trained extensively for those situations. Don't beat yourself up. Some of those places are so confusing and all of us have had our moments of panic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter