i know you guys Ebay a lot...

enchantedpixiedust

Old Timer
Hi
I don't know if I've just had a run of bad luck lately, but I've been having some issues w/ several items I've won. This is nothing personal against any smokers out there, but if I get one more package that REEKS of cigarette smoke I'm going to lose it. I'm not even very sensitive to it, I can be around smokers w/o issue as long as it's not in my face.

I bought an expensive WDW snowglobe for Fathers Day, I had to Febreeze the styrofoam & leave it out 3 days to air out, wipe down the globe completely w/ Murphys trying to get the smell out.

I've also been buying some pins on there to stock up for traders for September - all three packages I bought were the same way, when I opened the ziplocks the pins were in it was like inhaling smoke.

Has anyone else had this problem? I guess I'm going to try to restrict bidding to auctions that say from non-smoking home although I hate to do that. Do you post on your auctions if it's non-smoking, I never have on mine but think I will from now on.

Sorry for the vent, this just drives me crazy.

I've sold a few longaberger baskets and liners and I always put from a non-smoking home in those listings - I also put it if I list clothes. I never really thought about including that when I list pins - figured it really wouldn't matter as much on them.

I did buy a madame alexander doll and trunk set that I'm still trying to get the smoke smell out of completely, and I've had it for months.

Yes, I had that problem with a costume I bought for my DD. I love the outfit & the seller was so nice but yes, the smell was just awful. Not just a regular leftover smoky smell, more like chain smoking right into the fabric odor. I didn't think to even look at auctions for that until that time.

It's kinda sad to get a kid's outfit & have it smell that bad. I just hope that the original wearer was not exposed to that.

I always list non smoking if it is anything cloth or paper. I also hate getting things with a smoke smell.

I always just list non smoking and pet free on all items. I figure if someone has really bad allergies they'd want to know.
I never really thought about it much until I was doing some shopping for my DS (Vintage Indiana Jones Playset stuff) and the boxes and toys really strongly smelled of smoke. YUK!:faint:

Thanks for the replies...I just am curious if people realize that stuff smells like that.

Does anyone say anything to the seller?

I bought some My Twinn doll clothes from a lady, darling clothes but horrible smoke smell! She had them packaged really cute and I might have ordered more had it not been for the smell, I almost emailed her but decided against it, I'm sure she didn't know how they would smell when she went to all the trouble to package them so nicely. I had to ziploc a beanie with Febreaze for a few months to remove a smoky smell too. I guess I should start writing non-smoking in the things I list.

I always put "from a non-smoking home" in my Ebay and Half.com listings. I have bought one or two books that smelled really badly of smoke or mold so now I ask before I buy. One of them I got the smoke smell out from Lysol and leaving it out in the cold garage. The mold smelling one still smells like that and I think you would have to pay for it to be "baked" to get the smell out. I can't put it near my other books. DH used to work at a library and said a lot of the books smelled like that from being near other books that got moldy.

I did send the smoke guy an e-mail and he refunded me-very nicely.

If your thinking of bidding on something and its not listed as 'smoke free' or 'pet free home' ...click 'ask seller a question'. Just give the seller enough time, before the end of the auction, to respond to your question.

I have been selling on Ebay for about a year-I am also a smoker (unfortunately). I do not list items as being from a smoking or non-smoking home. I have had several people ask and I do not lie. Hopefully all sellers will be honest - if not - ther's always feedback to be left.

I happen to see this thread and wanted to mention, I had the same problem with getting smelly smoky items from ebay. Then i noticed it was on everything that was being delivered. Turns out, the mail truck delivery guy smokes! i was shocked that they're allowed! He is such a nice guy and i didn't want to get him in trouble but i had a hard time believing this was allowed when you work for USPS. I asked at the post office and they said, yes, you are allowed as long as the doors are open on the side. I wonder if they said anything to him cause it hasn't happened since i mentioned it.

Donna,
I have the exact same problem with our mail carrier--except she is not nice! I complaned too and was told that because we are on a rural route, and she drives her own car, they cannot tell her not to smoke. I think that is ridiculous! If there was a faint smell, okay, but our packages REEK. When I first figured it our was because my sister who sells a lot on ebay, sent me some disney costume accessories for my DD and I knew there was no way they left my sister's house smelling like that!

I put it on my listings that its non-smoking home ever since I ordered a figurine that stunk. DH put it in a box of cedar chips--worked like a charm.

Well, I sometimes sell collectable dolls on EBay, and I always say if they have smells, or mention that they are from my non-smoking collection. I have learned to always ask if I'm interested in bidding on something too. Besides the fact that I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, nicotine will really do some damage to old dolls. It turns their faces yellow and dries out and stains their clothes. I would imagine that dolls are not the only collectables that can be damaged.

I also deal in clothes, vintage when I can find them, and I'm not quite as picky. Though I can't shop in a house that reeks of smoke, if I get something that can be washed, I wash it. Usually helps. My current problem is perfume odors. I have a very pretty 60s dress that is currently smelling up my garage. I do not usually dry clean because I can't recoup the cost, but I may have to with this one. Or throw it out.

I always put non smoking in all our auctions. We do not put pet free, but all of our stuff is in a section of the house where the dogs do not go.

I sell vintage magazines, textbooks, computers, laptops, and some limited amounts of clothing..all say non smoking

Hmm, interesting. I used to only post "non smoking home" on certain items I sold but I think I will add it to all my auctions now. I do think the odor issue is important especially on items for children.

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'July 11, 2005 7:30:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln('<font size=2 color=darkblue>Disney Here We Come!</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writeln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'At last!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter