• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I know you are supposed to have a GM employee with you...

stocker1042

Internet message boards have changed the world.
...but is there ANY other way to get into the behind the scenes room at Test Track? I don't know of any current or retired GM employees...only ex-employees who no longer have an ID...but the wife and I really want to get up into that little room above test track!

We will be at WDW 11/3-6 and 1/28-30. Can anyone help?

What I really want is a tour of the garage portion of the ride, as the mechanics of it fascinate me. But...I'll settle for the room up top if I can get in!

need a current GM ID OR talk to one of the actual GM employees that are working the post ride area OR sometimes they will take you there on the undiscovered future world tour (ask your guide)

I assume you are a tax payer. The govt owns 60% of GM (don't believe all that garbage about them repaying the loans). You have just as much right as an employee to see the backstage area.

If you want to see the mechanic area you should consider the "Undiscovered Tour," we got to go back there.

No idea, but when my dad worked for Metlife we got to go into the VIP room at Wonders of Life. It was so cool!

We've been in the HP lounge at Mission Space - needed my relative and his current ID to gain access and our Fast Passes.

...but is there ANY other way to get into the behind the scenes room at Test Track? I don't know of any current or retired GM employees...only ex-employees who no longer have an ID...but the wife and I really want to get up into that little room above test track!

We will be at WDW 11/3-6 and 1/28-30. Can anyone help?

What I really want is a tour of the garage portion of the ride, as the mechanics of it fascinate me. But...I'll settle for the room up top if I can get in!

Just bring a copy of your federal tax return. That ought to suffice since GM is owned by U.S. taxpayers.

I assume you are a tax payer. The govt owns 60% of GM (don't believe all that garbage about them repaying the loans). You have just as much right as an employee to see the backstage area.

Just bring a copy of your federal tax return. That ought to suffice since GM is owned by U.S. taxpayers.

I appreciate the comedic intent, but I'm betting the "I'm a taxpayer" routine isn't gonna fly.

your logic is fallible. Tax payers fund/'own' the military too and trust me you DO NOT have the right to get a backstage tour of a multibillion dollar Warship's inner workings. in fact when you have open houses/tours there are MANY parts of the ship you will NOT and will NEVER see( and not just the crew quarters)

OK here's a snarky comment that will help and doesn't flaunt forum rules.

Get a job at GM or at least a family member.:thumbsup2

Sounds like you can just tag along with Disfan0829. They must go to the lounge on their tax form all the time. :sad2:

If you go to the special room do they show you how GM was able to incorporate their reputation for reliability in to Test Track? I mean every time I've been to Epcot it seems that Test Track has broken down at least once or twice. Seems pretty authentic to me. I'm sure that level of engineering isn't easy.

Up until the recent Govt. take over of GM, you could get to the VIP lounge without the GM employee being present as long as you had a copy of the GM ID, current insurance card, and were a family member. With that you were allowed to enter the VIP lounce and take a break. The lounge offered soft drinks and a nice place to sit over looking the entrance area to Test Track. When ready, you were given special passes that took you right to the front of the line where you were immediately put into a ride vehicle. My son and I did this three times in one day. Now, since the take over, they have closed the lounge and you have to be present with a GM employee or retiree to immediately go to the front of the line. GM employees and retirees get a pretty good discount on theme park tickets for themselves and family members, but I will not publish the discount as I am not sure if the would be appropriate.

Snarky comments abound. I will leave the politics out of my thoughts. I deal with them all day long. Which...by the way..is one reason I like to go to WDW. I forget about all that stuff while I am there.

In any event, we are doing the undiscovered tour the Friday of the November trip. I will ask the guide to go up there. That said, I was actually looking to spend some time in there and watch the ride, look around, and get more of the experience then just passing through.

If anyone can help on those dates with a GM ID, I will glady buy you dinner for your efforts. PM me if you can help.

If you go to the special room do they show you how GM was able to incorporate their reputation for reliability in to Test Track? I mean every time I've been to Epcot it seems that Test Track has broken down at least once or twice. Seems pretty authentic to me. I'm sure that level of engineering isn't easy.

Agreed. I'm still waiting for the "Test Track Recall."

Oh, and don't forget the announcement that GM will be "closing the American Test Track because the prospect of a Chinese or Indonesian Test Track makes more sense for the company's stockholders"...

WOW! My dad is retired from GM but I never knew that could get us perks at TT. He never goes to WDW with us though :(

My husband used to work for GMAC and we have been up there, you do need a valid ID, which he did not have so they took his business card and Drivers Lic. and the employee must be with you. Its basically an office suite up there and you can use their private bathroom and there is a small lounge where you can get refreshments.

Snarky comments abound. I will leave the politics out of my thoughts. I deal with them all day long. Which...by the way..is one reason I like to go to WDW. I forget about all that stuff while I am there.

In any event, we are doing the undiscovered tour the Friday of the November trip. I will ask the guide to go up there. That said, I was actually looking to spend some time in there and watch the ride, look around, and get more of the experience then just passing through.

If anyone can help on those dates with a GM ID, I will glady buy you dinner for your efforts. PM me if you can help.

Not allowed. For GM employees/retirees only. The employee/retiree can bring family members only. That would be cheating the system if you did that.

your logic is fallible. Tax payers fund/'own' the military too and trust me you DO NOT have the right to get a backstage tour of a multibillion dollar Warship's inner workings. in fact when you have open houses/tours there are MANY parts of the ship you will NOT and will NEVER see( and not just the crew quarters)

True enough, but the reasoning behind why the general public will NOT and will NEVER see the inner workings of a multibillion dollar warship have everything to do with national security. I don't think you can make the same argument for GM auto plants. Your comparison is fallible.

"Cheating the system"

I highly doubt that a GM employee saying that I'm his cousin, brother, or whatever is going to start any kind of hubbub, trouble, or "cheat" anything out of anyone. I mean...I'm not going to take one item from the refreshment table, bomb the joint, or even try to poke in front of anyone in line by using that in front of the line spot off to the right when you come in out of the briefing room.

I own three GM vehicles totaling over $100,000. I've only ever owned GM vehicles since I was 17. I go to Disney 3 times a year and am a DVC member. I don't abuse any Disney policies like I see many other people doing. I really don't think me getting an expanded tour of Test Track for 10-15 minutes is going to cause any trouble at all for anyone-especially since it seems that this area is part of some tours for non-GM employees or family members on the Undiscovered tour. Which, by the way, I am paying for in November.

Therefore, if I get in then...ok. But, in reality-if other people have gotten to see it on that tour and I don't...aren't I the one getting cheated?????

Its not that big of a deal. My life won't end if I don't get to see it and I won't rant or complain if I don't get to do it. It is just something that I've always wanted to see and I think I will really enjoy. Isn't that what Disney is all about?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter