I know traffic is bad but...?

I guess but you still gotta wait on some mode of transportation to reach the car. Do you really think you gain a lot of time vs. a bus?

If we get there before rope drop, then I don't mind driving and parking at the TTC for MK, on a normal day. It's great to be sitting in your car, either heated or cooled and always dry, with extra food and beverages and possibly a change of clothes. It's much easier to sit and read or play games in the car (as a passenger) than while standing in line. Either way you are waiting, but I would rather do it in my car. Plus, our wait to leave MK after Wishes if we are riding the bus has been terrible; the car is faster, and more comfortable. This is all for a normal day. We will be at MK on 12/30 and plan to take the bus from BC. We won't even have a car for this trip.

I've gone on Christmas fairly regularly and only seen the park like this on New Year's Eve. The park was virtually empty from opening until noon, and then looked like that pretty much the rest of the day. I've been there on Christmas Eve and Christmas before and it wasn't too bad, but that was over a decade ago at this point so who knows how it's different now. Last trip we were there on the 22nd and 23rd and it was busy but not unmanageable.
I have also been there on Christmas day. Rope drop is bad, but not that bad.

I would not want to be in a car on the roads near the MK lot in the mornings for that entire week.

If you are staying at a WDW resort... take Disney transportation and avoid TTC.

How bad is Epcot? I was able to get an onsite room for an ok rate for NYE, but none avail for the 30th. This would be my arrival day so I won't get there until probably noon and thought about heading to Epcot. I could also head to MK so I can see the NYE stuff on the 30th and then see the Epcot show on the 31st, but even more concerned about driving to MK on the 30th.

How bad is Epcot? I was able to get an onsite room for an ok rate for NYE, but none avail for the 30th. This would be my arrival day so I won't get there until probably noon and thought about heading to Epcot. I could also head to MK so I can see the NYE stuff on the 30th and then see the Epcot show on the 31st, but even more concerned about driving to MK on the 30th.

"Christmas Week" (and it's increased crowd-level situations) extends to the end of New Years Day (and beyond, if there is an associated weekend involved.)

"Christmas Week" (and it's increased crowd-level situations) extends to the end of New Years Day (and beyond, if there is an associated weekend involved.)

Yes...wasn't sure if when you said above that you'd avoid roads near MK and TTC if thst held true for Epcot too.

Yes...wasn't sure if when you said above that you'd avoid roads near MK and TTC if thst held true for Epcot too.

Epcot lot is nearly always less a problem than MK's.
But, as the new crowd-levels are ever-increasing and even more unpredictable it would be hard to judge based on past years.

Last edited:
What you may run into is that they won't allow you to park at Poly even with a dining reservation at that time. I have been turned away from the Contemporary even with a legitimate ADR a couple times when things were busy. So not only would you have deal with traffic getting to the Poly, but you would have to deal with the madness of regular MK parking, trams, and TTC, after trying to drive to Poly in the first place, which might make you very late for your ADR.

If it were me, and I had to drive, I would plan on getting started on the road about three hours prior to the ADR, and plan to park in the MK lot in the first place. If you get there early, you can spend time wandering around the Poly, but you would rather be early than late. You can also try posting the question again once we actually get to Christmas week, to get an idea of how bad the traffic actually is in 2016. Some years more people drive than others, and if people decide to use Uber instead of buses, that would create additional congestion since the guest drop off for MK is right next door to Poly.

With gas prices being so low this year, there could be more drivers than usual. So it could be even more crazy than ever.

Thank you so much for this post. I am contemplating heading to the parks 12/30 and 12/31. I'll be in FL (along the gulf coast somewhere) and my bucket list includes NYE at MK. Figured I should go this year as I have an AP and I probably won't have one again. Thing is, there are no value rooms available for both nights - I can get into Pop on NYE though for only $200 though. I had thought about staying offsite as I really don't want to pay close to $300/night for a moderate when all I am going to do is sleep there and even then it won't be much sleeping. However, after reading these posts I'm wondering if maybe it is worth the extra $ just for the transportation? Maybe I just go to the parks on NYE and stay somewhere close by on the 30th (this will be a travel day anyway). I know MK shows fireworks on the 30th and 31st.....do any of the other parks have things both nights?

You might want to factor in the "Park closing due to being at capacity" issue too. I don't know all of the rules, but I think when they start getting close to capacity, the guests staying on-site will be let in, but those staying off-site may be turned away.

You might want to factor in the "Park closing due to being at capacity" issue too. I don't know all of the rules, but I think when they start getting close to capacity, the guests staying on-site will be let in, but those staying off-site may be turned away.
While always possible the only level they've closed to in recent years is those purchasing day tickets at the gate. Anyone with FP, ADR, etc have not been shut out. Speculation is now that NFL is open MK won't even reach a point where it closes to any but day guests again (though I'd never say never)

Yes - was concerned with that too. As luck would have it,room opened up at AoA so there on 30th and Pop on 31st. All is good as long as no Phase 4 closures. I need to redo FPs tho as I think I'll do MK on 30th and Epcot on 31st. Likely won't get to MK until 3ish....picking friend up in Sanford around 1. I'll probably have around a 4-5 hour drive too as I'll be on gulf coastaroind fort myers. =)

While always possible the only level they've closed to in recent years is those purchasing day tickets at the gate. Anyone with FP, ADR, etc have not been shut out. Speculation is now that NFL is open MK won't even reach a point where it closes to any but day guests again (though I'd never say never)

What's NFL?

I stayed offsite one Christmas week and I have to tell you that the TTC was a nightmare. It should be better for resort guests since you'll be able to bypass the offsite crowd and take the monorail. I think if you plan to be at the TTC around 6:00-6:15 am is just fine. You'll be through security by 6:30-6:45 and ready to roll at 7:00 am.

How do you bypass the offsite crowd to take the monorail when you park at TTC, onsite or offsite, you've parked there, haven't you?

How do you bypass the offsite crowd to take the monorail when you park at TTC, onsite or offsite, you've parked there, haven't you?
I can't figure out what PP is saying either. Once at TTC you are with the crowd, they don't separate out on site from off site. The only way to avoid the off site folks is to take a bus from your resort
I guess maybe Uber to CR and walking to MK would avoid many of the off site folks too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter